2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ecotecs are fragile Tune with Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi_WRX02
But let's be realistic...no stock engine can handle 1000hp.

Veyron...
Old 04-13-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
What's this guy talking about? Chevy has a 500hp cobalt without issues. How do you blow 5 head gaskets? CRAZY!

hes not all bs i work for a dealer in i have done about 4 head gaskets on ecotecs each on a diff cobalt most were due to bad head castings or broken valve springs droppin valves but those were only on 05 vehicles but other than that it is a very strong an well built eng
Old 04-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank god I've got the ecotec model then, and not the ecotech. I think I'm gonna go outside and start modding now
Old 04-13-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo
Thank god I've got the ecotec model then, and not the ecotech. I think I'm gonna go outside and start modding now
I love fresh baked sarcasm served up piping hot on the net......delicious everytime.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Darksun280
I'm seriously just waiting for the 5 new threads titled "I installed (insert mod here) and my car feels funny is my head gasket gonna blow!?!". Or " I have a cold air and high flow airfreshener. Do you think my head gasket will be ok?"
Holy **** dark your one funny ****** not funny queer but funny haha high flow airfreshner lmao

mrb
Old 04-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DealerTechwSS
On another note I am on my 5th ecotech blown head gasket.
Dude it sounds like your girlfriend or boyfriend is a pollock ie seems your girlfriend or boyfriend needs to be blowing you instead of your car

mrb
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by c7015
Veyron...

Mmmmmm....Veyron. My pants just got tight.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:57 PM

Who in the hell replaces 5 head gaskets in 1 car and not check the deck/head for warpage?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SS4ME
Who in the hell replaces 5 head gaskets in 1 car and not check the deck/head for warpage?

Or even sit down for 30 seconds and wonder why? If this is true he is probably spraying a 200 shot of n2o. That or his dealer hires idiots. ******* people.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:35 PM

I seriously doubt Chevy would put a "fragile" engine in a ss. They know people are going to mod these why else would they make stage kits. If the 2.0 ecotec is blowing left and right due to simple mods they are going make a bad name for their prior model vehicles.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Not Work Safe

Originally Posted by STi_WRX02
But let's be realistic...no stock engine can handle 1000hp.
Wrong!
My freinds 97 Supra TT made 870hp at the wheels on a dyno jet dyno with the only internal mod being cam gears.
Now the external mods where masive. And so is the turbo on that thing.

The ecotecs stock block and head castings when used with the right parts have been proven to hold 1,100 Hp.

Later
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Darksun280
I have a cold air and high flow airfreshener. Do you think my head gasket will be ok?"
Dude! Where can I get one of these? If it'll give me more hp put me down for one!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

No I must say this guy is correct the heads are blowing like crazy. My just the other day I had my head blown 3 times in one day. But three different chicks at that...

Oh he means the engine? Yeah he is right about that too. Just the other day I ran my car into a ditch and the front tires weren't touching, so I installed a twin turbo kit and tightened my exhaust to .5 inches, that way I could increase power to the wheels and get out of the ditch. Unfortunately, I revved it for 30 minutes with no help, only a blown engine.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Badmunky
Wrong!
My freinds 97 Supra TT made 870hp at the wheels on a dyno jet dyno with the only internal mod being cam gears.
Now the external mods where masive. And so is the turbo on that thing.

The ecotecs stock block and head castings when used with the right parts have been proven to hold 1,100 Hp.

Later
Yep , very true .

....and then cough , cough LT1 , LS1 blocks , throw in the 4.6 dohc blue oval , I think weve about covered factory production blocks can take 1000+ hp .

btw , u cant do the high flow air freshener without increasing the diameter of the A/C tubing . 3" A/C ducting will void your warranty though ....something to think about for the lease guys/gals
Old 04-13-2006, 09:48 PM

What did you use a 175shot dry shot to do that damage? If tunning of the lsj "is" so fragile, why would gm even conisder coming out with stage kits for it???
Old 04-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shortbus
What did you use a 175shot dry shot to do that damage? If tunning of the lsj "is" so fragile, why would gm even conisder coming out with stage kits for it???
Im pretty sure a overactive imagination blew all those head gaskets on his echoteck .
Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 AM

I am sorry, I thought some people here might actually welcome the info from someone who works at a dealership!! I was wroung, again sorry, from now on i will keep my posts limited to "nice job" and "any Pics?" as for the five head gaskets, they were on five diffrent ecotec engines, none of which were in my own personal car, but its ok when cash work pays double warrenty work, so keep those mods going. Oh also every single time I had a ecotec with a blown head gasket GM thought it best to replace the whole engine because the head/block surfaces were so out of spec.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:30 AM

I am sorry, I thought some people here might actually welcome the info from someone who works at a dealership!! I was wroung, again sorry, from now on i will keep my posts limited to "nice job" and "any Pics?" as for the five head gaskets, they were on five diffrent ecotec engines, none of which were in my own personal car, but its ok when cash work pays double warrenty work, so keep those mods going. Oh also every single time I had a ecotec with a blown head gasket GM thought it best to replace the whole engine because the head/block surfaces were so out of spec.

So Let me get this straight, you didnt blow 5 headgaskets? I guess your smarter then everyone else since you work at a dealership, most guys at the dealerships have no clue of any tunning or moding from what i have been around.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:40 AM

INTERESTING
Old 04-14-2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shortbus
So Let me get this straight, you didnt blow 5 headgaskets? I guess your smarter then everyone else since you work at a dealership, most guys at the dealerships have no clue of any tunning or moding from what i have been around.
I am not smarter then everyone else, nor do I think I am, I was just trying to give some freindly advice to my fellow SS/SC enthusist based on my experance. and yes my spelling and grammer skills suck! thats why I turn wrenchs everyday instead of sitting in an office.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not smarter then everyone else, nor do I think I am, I was just trying to give some freindly advice to my fellow SS/SC enthusist based on my experance. and yes my spelling and grammer skills suck! thats why I turn wrenchs everyday instead of sitting in an office.
So my english teacher isn't good at fixing cars!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
So my english teacher isn't good at fixing cars!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:01 AM

I like that one. i always sucked at english and you think my typeing skills suck.>>>> Its good info.But alot people over the years have a dim view on dealerships and some of the people that work in them.So far ive had good luck with my dealer and the guys and girls in the back turning the wrenches. HEY SHORTBUS PRETTY SURE I SEEN YOU ON I 68 IN MD going east bound about a 6 weeks ago sharp ride. couldnt catch you in my truck
Old 04-14-2006, 01:03 AM

Oh also every single time I had a ecotec with a blown head gasket GM thought it best to replace the whole engine because the head/block surfaces were so out of spec.
Well that makes more sense. If they were out of factory specs that would explain a lot. I'm sure there are always going to be some that slip through the cracks. Had you said that in the first place you might not have gotten so much flak over it. Even one of the C6 test mules got a part that didn't meet the factory specs and failed just before its final test.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:12 AM

Alright guys I'll hop off the bangwagon now even though i was riding on it for a while. This guys taken enough stabs from us I think he's learned his lesson........I hope.......Man we got some cut throat cobalt owners on this web site man i love this place.

Quick Reply: ecotecs are fragile Tune with Care