2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

forced to get an exhaust, ADVICE please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forced to get an exhaust, ADVICE please!!

im more of just an engine guy, i could care less how loud my exhasut is, mainly bc it makes me think of all these hondas around town. im putting on a 2.6 and 60lbers over my 2.9 and 42s i have now, i have a cobra heat exchanger for the excess heat but from what ihear i really should get an exhaust to go with it all or im not gonna get the true gains. i want a good exhaust that isnt gonna cost me both my arms but i do like it quiter, i love my stock ss/sc exhasut now through my K&N intake sounds manly enough. moral of the story i need the gains but i want people to hear my engine not my exhaust.. any quick tips? i know gm has that touring but it seems pretty expensive.. and how big should my piping be? 2.5? i think 3.0 is too big i odnt think the cobalt has the power to push the exhaust through that big of a tube.

help fellas!!

-Tommy
Old 02-06-2008, 01:56 PM

3" is fine 2.5 is not as loud
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GO custom, and find a very very quiet magnaflow muffler. You'd be good and be under 300$ prob.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can always just get a bigger resonator as well, that will quiet things down.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned

Custom 3" is the way to go.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM

cti sells a 3" magnaflow with a resonator for 450
Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by TommySSSC
im more of just an engine guy, i could care less how loud my exhasut is, mainly bc it makes me think of all these hondas around town. im putting on a 2.6 and 60lbers over my 2.9 and 42s i have now, i have a cobra heat exchanger for the excess heat but from what ihear i really should get an exhaust to go with it all or im not gonna get the true gains. i want a good exhaust that isnt gonna cost me both my arms but i do like it quiter, i love my stock ss/sc exhasut now through my K&N intake sounds manly enough. moral of the story i need the gains but i want people to hear my engine not my exhaust.. any quick tips? i know gm has that touring but it seems pretty expensive.. and how big should my piping be? 2.5? i think 3.0 is too big i odnt think the cobalt has the power to push the exhaust through that big of a tube.

help fellas!!

-Tommy
If you want quiet, try the GMPP Touring
Old 02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Yeah. The Uber waste of money mod
Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

help fellas!!

-Tommy

2.6 and 60's? you need 2.75 dezod or a 3 inch exhaust for sure.... and that INCLUDES the header/downpipe combo to be most effective.

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
he will be pushing 270+whp and your telling him to put SMALLER pipping then he has now?

www.shortbus.com kid.

Last edited by splitimage; 02-06-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

yea i would also recommend getting a full exhaust. you're pushing a shitload of air into the engine and not getting it out. header, downpipe and exhaust are a must.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 PM

It's a bit pricey... bit ZZP sells a 3" cat back, featuring a magnaflow muffler, and their 'whisper resonator'.
They claim it's quieter that stock... but in the video on their website, it sounds a bit louder... probably comparable to the GMPP.

Edit:
Mating it with their midlength header / DP combo would let that motor breath easily....
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 PM

IMO....Vibrant Header/DP Combo with the Corsa Touring if you have that much to spend

If Not go with the Corsa Touring or Magnaflow catback
Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I would get the Corsa Touring Exhaust. It's a 2.5" piping. It's one of the most expensive, but it sounds great, just what you're looking for. I would not get an exhaust smaller then 2.5" with your mods.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM

how big is the gmpp exhaust tubing? i heard the clip of the touring it sounds like a little baby spitting his tongue out of his mouth. im liking this idea of the zzp, or the 3.0 zzp with resonator. id lvoe to get that corsa but im trying to buy a nice taylor guitar this summer so im gonan need my dough for that. i want mid 13s this summer at the track, i usually dont drive my car hard other than that i can barely afford gas prices as it is now. i dont wanna have everyone to hear my exhaust when i drive around campus here at ohio state, but i need one for the track.. and some of these vibrant clips ive heard on youtube, no offense just sound like more horsepower civic.. crate engine is selling their gmpp for 350 im assuming that unbeatable anywhere.. but that is gm goods... and i know how much they limited the ss/sc engine out of the factory..

thanks so far for the tips, its all very appreacitated

and the only thing about a custom exhaust is if i dont like how it sounds ill stuck with it, i am very picky lol beg with me here, never had a good exhaust before im scared shitless on it sounding like a damn ricer
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

gmpp is 2.25 stock is mostly 2.5 to 2.75.

rebel used to make a wicked manifold back with the downpipe included.

id get the zzp heaer/downpipe a nice 3 inch exhaust, the vibrant is a honda lameo tuner brand and way WAY over priced.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

how big is the gmpp exhaust tubing? i heard the clip of the touring it sounds like a little baby spitting his tongue out of his mouth. im liking this idea of the zzp, or the 3.0 zzp with resonator. id lvoe to get that corsa but im trying to buy a nice taylor guitar this summer so im gonan need my dough for that. i want mid 13s this summer at the track, i usually dont drive my car hard other than that i can barely afford gas prices as it is now. i dont wanna have everyone to hear my exhaust when i drive around campus here at ohio state, but i need one for the track.. and some of these vibrant clips ive heard on youtube, no offense just sound like more horsepower civic.. crate engine is selling their gmpp for 350 im assuming that unbeatable anywhere.. but that is gm goods... and i know how much they limited the ss/sc engine out of the factory..

thanks so far for the tips, its all very appreacitated

and the only thing about a custom exhaust is if i dont like how it sounds ill stuck with it, i am very picky lol beg with me here, never had a good exhaust before im scared shitless on it sounding like a damn ricer

i have the zzp header/downpipe and a magnaflow catback with a 22" resonator. it's not that loud at all during normal driving. it's loud when you're hard on the gas though. but normal driving, and cruising, it's really not that loud at all.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 PM

on the zzp website it quotes " It can also be used on supercharged cars with a 3” downpipe but the gains are small over a 2.5” system as the restriction would be in the manifold." under their 3" True stainless exhaust system. seems pretty usless to go with a 3.0" im not gonna be ever near 300 hp and itll just most likely be that much louder. im thinking about getting a good 2.75" custom with whisper resonator and mangaflow muff. i cant get a full 3" catback theres no way i can afford the exhaust, manifold and downpipe together. but if i get a 2.75 if thats even possible i reall dont know muhc about exhausts im not gonna be able to find someone who can make me a downpipe that goes into a 2.75... whatever exhasut i go with it has to be final, schools costing me enough
Old 02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned

on the zzp website it quotes " It can also be used on supercharged cars with a 3” downpipe but the gains are small over a 2.5” system as the restriction would be in the manifold." under their 3" True stainless exhaust system. seems pretty usless to go with a 3.0" im not gonna be ever near 300 hp and itll just most likely be that much louder. im thinking about getting a good 2.75" custom with whisper resonator and mangaflow muff. i cant get a full 3" catback theres no way i can afford the exhaust, manifold and downpipe together. but if i get a 2.75 if thats even possible i reall dont know muhc about exhausts im not gonna be able to find someone who can make me a downpipe that goes into a 2.75... whatever exhasut i go with it has to be final, schools costing me enough
UM SILLY GOOSE..... 270WHP + 17% DRIVETRAIN LOSS = OVER 300 HP

ALSO A COMPANY CALLED DEZOD MAKES THE 2.75
Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 PM

a cobalt doesnt need a 3" exhaust, its useless
2.5 with a down pipe
Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 PM

I have the GMPP performance and it has a deep mellow sound so If you dont want it loud go with a touring exhaust
Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HawkMThe
I have the GMPP performance and it has a deep mellow sound so If you dont want it loud go with a touring exhaust
your ride is here

www.shortbus.com

hop aboard.

Originally Posted by Dayta
a cobalt doesnt need a 3" exhaust, its useless
2.5 with a down pipe
you sir clearly have no idea what you are talking about..

www.iridetheshortbus.com

Last edited by splitimage; 02-06-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2008, 04:37 PM

im confused as hell i dont know what to believe, the gmpp is 2.5 correct? i wnat something that good for my engine not just a loud exhaust... i think whoever puts an exhasut on their cars for a loud sound should jsut join the hot imports clean-up crew. i hate hearing these **** pss by my house on campus with their loud ass exhaust, i know girls are thinking the same thing i dont wanna be one of em'
Old 02-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

im confused as hell i dont know what to believe, the gmpp is 2.5 correct? i wnat something that good for my engine not just a loud exhaust... i think whoever puts an exhasut on their cars for a loud sound should jsut join the hot imports clean-up crew. i hate hearing these **** pss by my house on campus with their loud ass exhaust, i know girls are thinking the same thing i dont wanna be one of em'
no sir

gmpp = 2.25 big guy.

good if u drive a CAVALIER

go 3 inch, stop acting like the noobs trying to give u ill fated advice please.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM

2.5" exhaust is big enough man.Dont listen to these clowns that are telling you to get a 3" exhaust.2.5" exhaust is more than capable of supporting up to 350 hp.There are very few people on this site that require a 3" exhaust,and they are the ones running turbo.Save your money.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
2.5" exhaust is big enough man.Dont listen to these clowns that are telling you to get a 3" exhaust.2.5" exhaust is more than capable of supporting up to 350 hp.There are very few people on this site that require a 3" exhaust,and they are the ones running turbo.Save your money.
It's been proven that you need 3" pipe after 300 crank horsepower. Stop being a baby

Quick Reply: forced to get an exhaust, ADVICE please!!