2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

forced to get an exhaust, ADVICE please!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
2.5" exhaust is big enough man.Dont listen to these clowns that are telling you to get a 3" exhaust.2.5" exhaust is more than capable of supporting up to 350 hp.There are very few people on this site that require a 3" exhaust,and they are the ones running turbo.Save your money.
sorry dual fart cans billy but your wrong son.

as onyx said, its dyno proven that above 300 hp at the crack 3 inch is the way to go.

why would srt-4 aftermarket by 3 inch? or maximas or evos and sti's? get a brain .

heres a site with alot of info u can contribute too

www.shortbus.com
Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by splitimage
you keep throwing that link up and it goes no were...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LScoupeTUNER
HAHAHAHAHAHA

what you said is EXACTLY why i post it.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LScoupeTUNER

Hahhahahahahhaahhahah

Because of this second use of the buses, "taking the short bus" or other phrases to that effect has become a pejorative slang term used to imply that the subject is mentally challenged (or simply stupid).Other names for the shortbus include, "Tard Carts", "Retard Wagons", "Sped Sled"

Tard Carts? HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Old 02-06-2008, 05:07 PM

i agree with splitimage and onyx, 3 inch would be the way to go and your going to pay for a quality product and will get a warrenty with zzp and them.. you aint going to get some warrenty from a mom and pop place.. the zzp 3 inch is all mendrel bent and was tuned on the ss to give proper flow and all..

i was in the same boat as you were and for my needs i am getting the zzp downpipe 3 inch and hahn exhaust 3.0 because its well under a grand and its more affordable and has the wideband bung hole ::no pun:: and fit my needs..

and yes i am going forced inducted before anyone brings up a 2.2 not using 3 inch exhausts.. saving up for hahns kit..

if your worried about noise just throw in a big resognator but not one thats going to restrict flow as much...

EDIT: also when it comes to modding you either do it right or not at all, there is no easy cheap ruite about it.. your not going to get a full exhaust under a grand unless you arnt counting the header.. you dont want to put cheap half ass built parts on your car.. if your like me and cant afford it, keep saving
Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline

Hahhahahahahhaahhahah

Because of this second use of the buses, "taking the short bus" or other phrases to that effect has become a pejorative slang term used to imply that the subject is mentally challenged (or simply stupid).Other names for the shortbus include, "Tard Carts", "Retard Wagons", "Sped Sled"

Tard Carts? HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA

sped sled LEWL
love it

and i cant believe he asked that....i almost fell off my chair.

check my sig its never getting erased, hes etched in time
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM

as onyx said, its dyno proven that above 300 hp at the crack 3 inch is the way to go.

why would srt-4 aftermarket by 3 inch? or maximas or evos and sti's? get a brain .
Those cars are turbo'd (with the exception of the maxima)... a 3" is pretty much industry norm on turbo'd cars, as exhaust velocity post turbo isn't a factor....

With that said though.... yes over 300hp, a 2.5" is restricting the engine, and a 3" is a good idea.
The downside? In some cars, there is a bit less response in the in the lower RPM ranges... nothing major though.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Omega_5
Those cars are turbo'd (with the exception of the maxima)... a 3" is pretty much industry norm on turbo'd cars, as exhaust velocity post turbo isn't a factor....

With that said though.... yes over 300hp, a 2.5" is restricting the engine, and a 3" is a good idea.
The downside? In some cars, there is a bit less response in the in the lower RPM ranges... nothing major though.
are you honestly trying to say that turbo hp and supercharger hp are different? man u need help hp is hp.

my car made 294 whp with a 3 inch, it was a redline... a 2.5 would have been restrictive and not only would have produced lower numbers, but would have created higher temperatures.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM

www.shortbus.com[/QUOTE]

dual fart cans billy...Yeah,good one
Umm those are turbo cars,they benefit more from a 3" exhaust idiot.3" exhaust on a maxima?LOL,he must have as much brains as you do..None.Wheres this so called dyno proof on a COBALT that 300 hp or more at the crank you need 3" exhaust?And is this a back to back run?2.5" and then 3"?Until then its all hear say that u need a 3" exhaust.Are you one of those people that have a 3" exhaust so u can tell people "hey i have a 3" exhaust!!"?Retard.But do as you please,i dont care its not my car.Sure u might get a couple more hp from it,but nothing drastic.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24

www.shortbus.com
dual fart cans billy...Yeah,good one
Umm those are turbo cars,they benefit more from a 3" exhaust idiot.3" exhaust on a maxima?LOL,he must have as much brains as you do..None.Wheres this so called dyno proof on a COBALT that 300 hp or more at the crank you need 3" exhaust?And is this a back to back run?2.5" and then 3"?Until then its all hear say that u need a 3" exhaust.Are you one of those people that have a 3" exhaust so u can tell people "hey i have a 3" exhaust!!"?Retard.But do as you please,i dont care its not my car.Sure u might get a couple more hp from it,but nothing drastic.[/QUOTE]

LEWL LEWL LEWL

first off, the maxima comes with the same 3.5 l that the 350z does, which is faster then you son.

secondly, www.google.com is where ull find alot ALOT AAAAALLLOOOTTTT about how 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust is beneficial on ANY vehicle pushing upwards of 300hp at the crank douche monkey.

Thirdly, forced induction is forced induction. A easy indicication of 3" exhausts on high hp cobalts being beneficial is LOWER PSI, LESS RESTRICTION = MORE EFFICIENCY = MORE POWER you goof ball. Go draw the maze on the back of the lucky charms box again.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 PM

This was taken from cobb tuning.com.This applies to turbos,but im just showing you what it says.

Pipe diameter does have an effect on flow rates as well, but again it is not the major factor in most cases. 2.5" may flow enough for 300-350 h.p. without being a restriction. 3" is usually capable of flowing 500-600 h.p. before becoming a restriction. This is assuming that you have designed the rest of the system up to par. There are also full 3.5" systems and those that start out at 4" and taper down. Unless you are making over 500-600 h.p. anything over 3" is a case of diminishing returns and in most cases has no advantage. There is more to gain going from 2.5" up to 3" than there is going from 3" to 3.5". A 3" system will not loose torque compared to a 2.5" system if designed properly. In fact if designed properly 3" may be capable of making better low end torque than 2.5". Again, since the way to make the most torque with a turbo exhaust is to get the turbo to spool-up as quickly as possible, it should be the main goal of the entire exhaust system and good flow after the turbo is one way to achieve it. We use 3" as we want our system to flow enough to be capable of coping with a customer's changing goals. Properly designed we can offer it to the big power crowd while still appeasing the low end torque club.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

ptrblkz24 + www.shortbus.com = love forever

ill just wait for area and others to make u look stupid as well... then ill laugh at u again

Last edited by splitimage; 02-06-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
i have a 3 inch downpipe, and a 3 inch cat back.

make fun of me.

"you lose low end torque"

bullshit. you can't tune.

seriously. where the hell do some of you get your info from!?!?!? is there a magic button on google that i missed? im simply saying this for the fact your info. is based off of what?

nissan stopped turboing the maxima's
Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM

sickcobalt06 has a megan racing exhaust. its not too too bad. but it sounds lovely.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 inch will definately lose low end torque on a Stage 2 ish car, with no tuning changes.

But i think with the HP your going to be pushing, with the right tuning, a 3 inch would be best.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by an0malous
3 inch will definately lose low end torque on a Stage 2 ish car, with no tuning changes.

But i think with the HP your going to be pushing, with the right tuning, a 3 inch would be best.
THANK GOD **** AND AREA TO THE RESCUE....

ptrblkz24
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM

2.6 pulley.. 60lbers..h/e.. intake.. tune..ported blower... and full cat back exhaust is not gonna give you 300 hp... or will it?

which is it? 2.5 or 3.0? why would zzp post that on their website that the 3.0 isnt gonna give you that mihc gain. i will get a 3.0 if i need it, if i really dont, ill get a 2.5 mangaflow.. 3.0 im gonna get that zzp one
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well it depends. if you want the most performance, the 3" will probably be the way to go. but, it will also be louder. in all honesty there's probably not a noticeable difference between the 2, you're looking at max a few hp somewhere in the rpm range. i know you said you wanted to keep it quiet, so in that case i would just go with the 2.5"
Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
well it depends. if you want the most performance, the 3" will probably be the way to go. but, it will also be louder. in all honesty there's probably not a noticeable difference between the 2, you're looking at max a few hp somewhere in the rpm range. i know you said you wanted to keep it quiet, so in that case i would just go with the 2.5"
this I agree with completely.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 PM

are you honestly trying to say that turbo hp and supercharger hp are different? man u need help hp is hp.

my car made 294 whp with a 3 inch, it was a redline... a 2.5 would have been restrictive and not only would have produced lower numbers, but would have created higher temperatures.

Dude... a turbo engine has the charger to create 'back pressure' (jeez I hate using the term) in the motor.... a supercharged engine doesn't.
On a turbo engine, exhaust size has **** all to do with power... you just want to get the exhaust as far from that turbine as quick as you can....
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
Winnah!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:36 PM

couldnt i jsut get a good whisper resonator on there to quite it down? i cant believe making it ha half inch biggger form stock is that important.. it is 2.25 stock right? im starting to lean twoards the 2.5, i will just get a cat back now but the header and downpipe will be coming shortly by the summer or end of it

ive heard someones 3.0 magnaflow on youtube.. i think thats more for like ohh let me rev my exhaustttt not rev your engine i dont know what hes has under the hood but i dont like it i cant find it anymore on youtube ha

i know the 3.0 will give me a little more gain but it seems like every 3.0 clip i hear on youtube all you hear is BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR yet zzp does say that theres is jsut as quite as stock.. i like that i might jsut man up and save to get that..or get a full custom with a resonator and magnaflow muffler might be jsut as good. i have nooo kwowledge on exhaust thanks for bearing with me, i know ill put out some good power i hope the 2.5 in the may be too restricted

any clips with a 3.0 resonator on it, it s like my buddy has a 6.0 gto pushing over 450 and he has a 3.0.. my car is not on the same level as his..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 PM

speaking of 3" exhaust...................... the 3" street power exhaust on Dezod......... is it any good?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 PM

THANK GOD **** AND AREA TO THE RESCUE....

ptrblkz24
WHEW!!! Thank god.
HAHA,your a moron.Why cant you put me in my place since you know everything?When did i ever say that you cant use a 3" exhaust?And you have yet to provide me with any proof that the 2.5" exhaust is maxed out at 300 hp.No wait im sorry 300 crank hp,which is what,around 264 whp if you figure a 12% drivetrain loss?Are you telling me that everyone who dynos 265 or more,just maxxed out there 2.5" exhaust?No i dont think so.A 3" exhaust would help it breathe more,but its not a necesity.I provided some proof of what im talking about but yet you havent come up with anything?All the big boys running turbos right now are the ones that def need a 3" exhaust.Maybe you should take a ride on the short bus,you might actually learn something from the window lickers.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 PM

^^^ lol your the man

Quick Reply: forced to get an exhaust, ADVICE please!!