2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Found a fix... CEL with CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a fix... CEL with CAI

I have the JBP CAI on my 06 SS/SC Cobalt. I have had a check engine light for a couple of weeks. Through dyno testing at Alamo and several different opinions, I decided to go with new spark plugs. The problem with the CAI, is that, and Im sure everyone knows this, is that when you put a CAI on, more air is being forced through the blower, thus causing the engine to not know how much fuel to mix with the incoming air. The Air/Fuel ratio is fucked. You can do a couple of options...

1. Get a MAF Translator. Works well, but all your doing is tricking the MAF Sensor and computer.
2. Get bigger fuel injectors and a miniAFC. Works well too, but your spending a good piece of money.
3. Upgrade spark plugs.

My Air/Fuel ratio was off the chart. Seriously! On high end RPM, close to 6000RPMs, I was pushing very lean fuel injection. On low end RPMs, idle and low 2000RPM range, I was extremely rich... 16 to be exact. The chart only goes to about 14 or so.

I was told by the GM Performance group, through different channels of contact, that our stock spark plugs, do not give the best "spark" and thus, they do not ignite all the fuel being injected with more air flow. Everybody says that Iridium spark plugs are not the way to go, but straight from the GM Performance group, I was told that with more air flow(CAI, Airbox mod, or whatever) you will need better spark plugs to give you more spark, to ignite all the fuel.

So, I went out and bough some NGK Iridium IX spark plugs. I put them in myself, which is not hard at all, expect for the last plug, and then turned the key. It took about 4 minutes of ideling, but the CEL went off, and I no longer heard a "knock." The "knock" was the injectors, told to me by the GM Performance group. With better spark plugs to ignite more fuel with more air... you will correct the CEL thrown when you put a CAI on the SS/SC. I have also noticed a tad bit better reaction time with revving the engine. Theres a delay when revving because our cars are "drive by wire" setup.

I went back to Alamo to get re-dynoed and the Air/Fuel ratio was in normal range. I cant be 100% positive on this fix, but its a damn good way to try. Just thought Id share the good news. Well, it was good news for me anyways.

David
Old 01-30-2006, 09:32 PM

nice hope everything stays good!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:36 PM

very interesting stuff ... i need to do me some research on plugs
Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 PM

Sounds good, i just ordered mine over the weekend, hopefully they help
Old 01-30-2006, 09:46 PM

It should. I mean, I cant say for 100% positive again, but it worked for me. It starts up easier, and sounds nicer ideling. I can notice a difference, because when I would let off the gas in 2nd gear, I would get alot of back fire. Thats mainly from to much fuel being pushed into the engine, thus coming out the exhaust and igniting at point of contact with hot exhaust metal. I havent noticed that as much, much quieter. And much better performance.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM

I previously had good results with Denso Iridium plugs (same heat range than stock) with a 3" pulley, header, catback and K&N Filter.

Which plug number do you use ?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 PM

Part #: ITR4A15 Thats the part number. They are TR55IX Stock # 7164

They are real good. I was told that Beafed up Vettes and other race type engines use the NGK Iridiums... better sparks means better combustion, which leads to more power.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 PM

nice work man
Old 01-30-2006, 10:32 PM

Why in another post I was reading that Iridium plugs are not good for F/I vehicles? Are the plugs the same as stock or are they a step colder?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Lightbulb

Nice indeed. I upgraded my Caprice Classic's spark plugs when i enhanced the engine, but i went with Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs. They have a "feel the difference or get your money back guarantee" and they're supposed to last over 160 000 Kms! And indeed i notice better economy, response time and definately power! So as soon as i get my Cobalt, i'm going to knock the stock plugs for Bosch Platinum +4's!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM

Good post this is very helpfull, i will have to get me a set, how much did they run you, and where did you get them?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 PM

WOW -- Good JOb!!!! Im Installing my injen cai in 2 days -- I Will also be installing new plugs as well. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

OK now im really starting to get confused I use these forums as like a bible for modding my car yet its hard when I get conflicting information. I was told that certain intakes cause a cel yet its harmless and was not causing any real problems it was an error in the computer that was showing the cel to light up.

I also gathered that the injen intake would not cause this problem ? If aftermarket cai is causing any problems at all I would like to know so I can simply put in a high flow filter and leave it be.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

So i wonder if i would throw a code with the K&N since i have the plugs hmmm

im assuming you have the K&N
Old 01-30-2006, 11:28 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NGK-I...spagenameZWDVW
Those the correct plugs?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:33 PM

Hmm I'm still getting the CEL w/ the NGK BKR7E's @ .35 w/ my K&N intake? Wrong plugs?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:35 PM

Yea he is using the ITR4A15
Old 01-31-2006, 12:36 AM

I would try the NGK's. For some reason they are the best above all. The Iridium plugs are just for better combustion and make a bigger spark. I love them. I drove the Cobalt around for about 2 hours tonight, thats why I wasnt on here, and went WOT(wide out throttle) the entire time pretty much... dumping all the air into the engine through the blower as I could. No CEL. Since the Iridiums make a bigger spark, more fuel is ignited, which helps with the Air/Fuel ratio.

Some people dont like them. They wont last you as long as others will... the Bosch Platinums will last a bit longer. But to me... I want the most power, and if I have to change them out every 6-10,000 miles, then so be it. It took me about 30 minutes with a spark plug puller and T-Screw.

I bought them at USA Motorsports, and performance shop around here. You can pick them up at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, O'Reileys... basically any auto store. But when they are looking them up... since our Cobalts are 05-06 year, they wont have a parts list built up. Have them look for Cavys. They have the DOHC vavles and use the same size spark plugs. I spent about $30 on the plugs, spark plug puller, T-Screw and Anti-Sieze lube.

So far, everything has worked fine. The dealership gave me a thumbs up for the sparks, and will be covered under warranty. I give it a thumbs up too. There is a shop around here, no name, but they specialize in turbos. They are from the Grand Nationals... ond Pontiacs. They run ONLY NGK Iridiums in their vehicles. They said, "They make the best spark and will do the job for high air flow and correcting air/fuel ratio issues."

I take that advice with confidence!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:55 AM

Interesting to know... I might have to consider that when I consider getting a CAI...

All after Stage II though, I want to see what kind of numbers it will get me with everything else stock.

Keep us posted and let us know if you get a CEL.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltss12
Part #: ITR4A15 Thats the part number. They are TR55IX Stock # 7164

They are real good. I was told that Beafed up Vettes and other race type engines use the NGK Iridiums... better sparks means better combustion, which leads to more power.
What are you gapping them at?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:01 AM

Will do. I ordered a bunch of **** the other day... 2.8 Pulley, Larger fuel injectors, better fuel pump than stock, and a set of cams from JBP. As soon as I get them all on, Alamo is doing the instal, Ill get it re-dynoed. With all that, I should push about 275 or more HP. The cams will turn faster and will produce better down-thrust. With the spark plugs and all that, I should be good. Ive saved up a **** load so I can do all this. I want to be one of the 1st Cobalts to break 300HP on here. After I put all that it, thep is a 25 or 50 shot of Nitrous for the track. Ill have to get better pistons and rings and ****, but all that comes in time.

But yes... getting a stage two... youll definatley need better spark. I say go with Iridium, others may disagree, and thats fine. Everybody has their own opinions. I just go from what expert shops say... they do it for a living, we do it for a hobby and for love of the sport.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 AM

Im leaving them at "out of box gapping." Im not about to mess around with that. They already come gapped for that type of engine and combustion. The anode is so small that any good hit to it, will probably damage it. I would stick to the "out of box gapping." But if your looking for a number, I believe the proper gap is at .35.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 AM

Not to get off the subject, but who did you go with for your pulley and injectors? What kind of fuel pump and what stage are the cams if you don't mind me asking? I really want to change the fuel pump out for a better one as well. Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 01:16 AM

01-31-2006 12:06 AM
BlAckOnBLaCK Not to get off the subject, but who did you go with for your pulley and injectors? What kind of fuel pump and what stage are the cams if you don't mind me asking? I really want to change the fuel pump out for a better one as well. Thanks
I went with Lucas Injectors from ZZP.

I went through the local shop, USA Motorsports that deals alot with turbos and supercharges for the Mustangs and SS Camaros. They have dealt with the M-62 and had a vendor that had some pulleys in for it. Dont know the exact name, the invoice is in my car, and Im to lazy to walk out there right now lol.

Fuel pump. MSD High Pressure In-Line Fuel Pump. Told they were the best for that kind of stuff. I do my research before I buy anything. I dont want some off brand name part going on my baby.

Cams. Stage 2 2.0L Supercharged TriFlow® Youll find them on JBP website.

Is that good information?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltss12
I went with Lucas Injectors from ZZP.

I went through the local shop, USA Motorsports that deals alot with turbos and supercharges for the Mustangs and SS Camaros. They have dealt with the M-62 and had a vendor that had some pulleys in for it. Dont know the exact name, the invoice is in my car, and Im to lazy to walk out there right now lol.

Fuel pump. MSD High Pressure In-Line Fuel Pump. Told they were the best for that kind of stuff. I do my research before I buy anything. I dont want some off brand name part going on my baby.

Cams. Stage 2 2.0L Supercharged TriFlow® Youll find them on JBP website.

Is that good information?
U da man. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Found a fix... CEL with CAI