2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Fujita CAI Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Fujita CAI Problems

So I love my car, as does everyone! I painfully install my New Fujita CAI... struggling for an HOUR to tighten the clamp that is right at the hole from the engine compartment to the wheelwell area. Works great... for a while. If it rains, just a little even, "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!" It triggers that horrible light that no one wants to see. Mass Air Sensor detects water problem code. I've even had it set off the light with the Too Lean problem code. Basicly, I'm asking if this is a common problem, ways to fix it (such as a drycharger, which I can't seem to find for Fujita), so on so on. I actually think the problem might be with the wheelwell itself, I don't think the plastic liner between the tire and the CAI compartment seals like it used to. I think there is a small gap on the inside of the wheelwell, just large enough for the tire to throw water and dirt into the CAI area. Recommendations for that? I'm not sure what to do with it, and at this point I am randomly rambling. It's just dissappointing to spend $295 on a Performance part, spend lots of time & patience putting it on, only to have to take it off. HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
So I love my car, as does everyone! I painfully install my New Fujita CAI... struggling for an HOUR to tighten the clamp that is right at the hole from the engine compartment to the wheelwell area. Works great... for a while. If it rains, just a little even, "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!!!" It triggers that horrible light that no one wants to see. Mass Air Sensor detects water problem code. I've even had it set off the light with the Too Lean problem code. Basicly, I'm asking if this is a common problem, ways to fix it (such as a drycharger, which I can't seem to find for Fujita), so on so on. I actually think the problem might be with the wheelwell itself, I don't think the plastic liner between the tire and the CAI compartment seals like it used to. I think there is a small gap on the inside of the wheelwell, just large enough for the tire to throw water and dirt into the CAI area. Recommendations for that? I'm not sure what to do with it, and at this point I am randomly rambling. It's just dissappointing to spend $295 on a Performance part, spend lots of time & patience putting it on, only to have to take it off. HELP PLEASE!!!
Do a search on "Fujita" and save everyone, incl. yourself, some time. And, yes this is a common problem until your PCM "learns" the new CAI. 1 range colder plugs may help as well. Look at my sig for details and good luck!!
Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 AM

Take a look at this thread It has all the info to make your intake work with some modification.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm the only person on the planet that has a problem-free Fujita. No idea why, but I am.

First off fitment, don't use the support bracket. You try using that thing and you're fucked six ways to Sunday on fitment. Mine actually fits better than the Injen does. It doesn't hit the pesky screw or the lip behind the headlight, plus the rubber sleeve sits right there and keeps it from rubbing, it doesn't push into the fender well, it rests perfectly against the bottom splash guard, not enough to push on it, just enough to help support it, and it doesn't leave a bulge in the fender (I've seen at least 2 Injens that do that.)

As for the splash guard, tape that hole off. It won't affect air flow and it will keep the water out. In fact try and find as many "non essential" holes that aren't pulling air in and tape them off. That got rid of my water problem.

Lean code. Be VERY careful about how much oil you put on your filter. Mine was over oiled when I got it (bought it used) and that was driving the MAF crazy. Got it cleaned up real good, let it sit out most of the day and dry, lightly oiled it and let it dry, and it was perfect. Over a month and no codes.

Like I said, mine works perfectly and I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 AM

i get a cel light with mine sometimes.. its tempermental.. but i have no other problems.. i think the heat is what sets mine off.. it was fine for about the first month.. took it to the track.. gave it hell.. now it comes and goes at it please .. more so on hot days
Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I took some of these tips and decided to put the good ole Fujita CAI back on Sunday. Ran nice. I got 2 CEL's that evening for "Too Lean" (Roommate got together and bought code reader since he has an 04 or 05 Silverado SS). No big deal... i'm not worried about the too lean, it only seems to be triggered at low RPM's. BUT today, Tuesday, it started raining just as I was getting ready to leave work. Perfect, the chance to test my rigged setup. I drove it around for about 12 steet/city miles; making sure i made some hard right turns since that is what always seemed to trigger the "Sucking Water" code. Haven't taken it out on the Highway, or opened up with it yet, but so far it is running PERFECTLY! I'll definately open it up on the way to dinner in about 10 minutes, but thanks to all who contributed, especially AlleyCat. I used your tape idea, so thanks a lot! It is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:52 PM

Congrats!!!!!! I am a little over a month and about 1500 miles CEL-free on mine since we re-cleaned the filter on it.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 PM

any more problems.lol
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Haha... No, not since Stage 2. Thanks for Checking up on me Mike!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Haha... No, not since Stage 2. Thanks for Checking up on me Mike!
you know I got your back.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM

hey i installed an injen cold air intake and ever since my boost gauge is stuck just below 10 psi..when i get into 3rd going 80 it boost to 20..i tried restarting my computer, i checked connections...everything is fine...would i need a programer to recalibrate.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by tibbz
hey i installed an injen cold air intake and ever since my boost gauge is stuck just below 10 psi..when i get into 3rd going 80 it boost to 20..i tried restarting my computer, i checked connections...everything is fine...would i need a programer to recalibrate.
lol i bought his fujita =p

how did you tried resetting your computer?
check for vac leaks n the worm clamps are secured.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM

i disconnected my battery for 10min..connected it then drove 20miles..

alright 4sure i will check..thanks for your input.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by tibbz
i disconnected my battery for 10min..connected it then drove 20miles..

alright 4sure i will check..thanks for your input.
or the connection to your TB is loose and certain vibration can set it off to limp moad