2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Go Big or Go Home!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coilovers are a little to BIG for me lol, i can't really justify the price for them. However, I also don't know a whole lot about them, maybe you could enlighten me more on the subject.

I would love to ride around in other balts, however living in the QC of iowa, theres really not much besides me...and.....yea...thats about it lol.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heres what's avaliable.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suspension-67/coilover-thread-28282/
Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Banned

thanks mate, what exactly is the purpose and point of using coil overs over the rest of the stuff, thats kind of what i was asking.

I am a guy coming from an old school mustang, nothing but shocks, struts, springs, quad shocks, etc lol. I know nothing on coil overs. Whats so good about them, and why are they so pricey.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is it for balt projectors:

I'd get black 2nd Gens, although 1st and 3rd offer a nicer looking cutoff.

1st Gen:

2nd Gen:

3rd Gen:

Coil overs are pricey because they offer total control of your suspension setup (except for spring rate), but mostly because theyre not just springs or shocks, but a total replacement of your strut housings PLUS shocks and springs. You can adjust ride height, shock dampening (soft/hard), and camber with most models.

Gravana has a pretty sweet setup available:
http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...tem_By_Gravana

I'd say that follows the go big or go home theme, but at a reasonable price.

For comparison, the setup I purchased for my old car cost me $1700 after all was said and done, and I considered them to be worth every penny, so $1,200 sounds like a steal to me! lol
Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Banned

which are the brightest?

How soft could I make my ride with coil overs. Could I make it so I don't feel any bumps in the road, that would be great for when my back is killing me.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 06-02-2008 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-02-2008, 03:31 AM

Lights: Not sure on the brightness since I've only seen the 1st Gen in person, but if you're going with HIDs it wont matter. Light output should be satisfactory on whichever you choose.

Coilovers: You can make them pretty soft, but I would recommend also raising the height a bit to prevent bottoming out. It will still be lower than stock as most coilover setups are lower than stock at their highest setting.

One note though, you have to get the car up on jack stands or a lift to adjust the ride height, so that might be a problem because of your back situation. When I had mine I found one setting and just left it there, so maybe you could find your perfect setting and leave it at that. Adjusting the stiffness of the shocks is easy though. Just turn a little knob at the top of each strut tower under the hood and in the trunk.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
Well I have decided to GO BIG guys!! With the help of Turbo06Sedan as my mechanic I plan on doing the following things to the cobalt, all at once!

Black/Chrome Projectors with 6000k HID Kit.
B&M Short Throw Shifter
Polly Motor Mounts and Tranny Mounts.
Ingalls TD
Snow Performance Meth kit
Lowering springs
3inch Header/downpipe with Highflow cat.
HPTuner Software
Wideband 02 sensor.
Injen Cold Air Intake.
Cobalt Addiction 2.79inch pulley *GM Stage2 Look ALIKE*
Dual Pass End Plate with Option B
Cobalt Addiction Heat Exchanger
Cobalt Addiction Phenolic Throttlebody Spacer
Nightshade for rear lights.

I ask for your guys help. I am looking for a reputable place to purchase these items, and for your opinions on what else I need and what should be changed. Current mods are in my sig, thanks guys!

Edit: Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in general. Either way, please give me your 2 cents on what specifically I should buy and from where, links are greatly appreciated!

Here is my opinion everyone has one

1.wont need ingals with the Poly motor mount cause it wont fit. Mounts TurboTech Racing
2.ZZP makes 2.8 pully that is black ZZP.com
3.Nightshad unless your really good painting make sure to use some clear so it dont chip and sand down the lights good or buy some off ebay already done.
4. black projectors if your doing black out tails just makes sense. ebay?
5.) dual end plate and ect crate engine depot

Good vendors are these are off the top of my head

Turbotechracing (bougth a lot of stuff from Aaron)
Crate engine depot(bought a few things)
Karo at allecotechs (good guy personally bought from him)
ZZP good people bougth 2 things from them

All fast shippers and great customer service.^^^^^^^^^ no issues at all

Cobatl addiction (good from what i hear never purchased from them)
Old 06-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Banned

Pyros777 - I am going to have my mechanic, Turbo06Sedan help me with my setup, he will dial in the exact suspension setup I need, if I choose to go with coil overs

Killerbee - Good point about the ingals and the mounts not working together, forgot about that haha. Is the zzp pulley better then the Cobalt Addiction pulley? And the black projectors along with black tails makes sense, thanks man.

What about header/downpipe combo's, like my sig says, I do have 3inch exhaust. And am I fine running the 2.8 on 42lber's. I will have the stock gm stage 2 tune for awhile, until I can find something better via hptuners. I would rather not go to 60lb'ers until my warranty is up.

Thanks again for all the support guys!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
Pyros777 - I am going to have my mechanic, Turbo06Sedan help me with my setup, he will dial in the exact suspension setup I need, if I choose to go with coil overs

Killerbee - Good point about the ingals and the mounts not working together, forgot about that haha. Is the zzp pulley better then the Cobalt Addiction pulley? And the black projectors along with black tails makes sense, thanks man.

What about header/downpipe combo's, like my sig says, I do have 3inch exhaust. And am I fine running the 2.8 on 42lber's. I will have the stock gm stage 2 tune for awhile, until I can find something better via hptuners. I would rather not go to 60lb'ers until my warranty is up.

Thanks again for all the support guys!

exhaust go with vibrant its expensive but the quality is awsome.
I would run nothing smaller then 2.9 on your 42s and stage 2 tune 2.8 is ok with custom tune
Coilovers are nice man depends on what you really gunna use the car for cause koni struts and eibach spings is an awsome set up for like 2-300 less
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 AM

ZZP has a nice header/downpipe combo deal goin on:

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=545&catid=155
Old 06-02-2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
ZZP has a nice header/downpipe combo deal goin on:

http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=545&catid=155
yes they do i totaly for got about that good looking out
Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

ok I guess I will go with the ZZP header/dp then, but I still don't know if I should go with coil overs or shocks and springs.

Pyros777 - My car is going to be a daily driver that I want to be extremely reliable, fun, and have a little more power that I can occasionally take to the track. I want it to be extremely comfortable on long trips, get decent gas mileage, but still be able to put down some decent power.

What do you recommend, coil overs, or springs and shocks etc.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:15 AM

I havent researched spring/shock combos for our car enough to give you a straight answer, but if you can find a shock that has adjustable dampening force and pair it with a decent spring setup you might actually be happy for a few hundred bucks less than coilovers.

The main idea of adjustable dampening force is:

(Assuming the shocks you end up with have 32 dampening force settings)

22--32: Stiff - Long cruise on a road known to be very smooth. "Riding on rails" feeling is prominent here. May require a helmet going over bumps, and if you have man-***** you may suddenly feel self-conscious. lol
11--21: Moderate - Daily drive. Since there are many adjustment settings, you'll likely find your ideal dampening force within this range.
00--10: Soft - Bumpy roads and general comfort on all types of roads. Kinda kills the "riding on rails" feeling and makes handing a little less confident.

Personally I'm saving up for the Gravana coilovers because they please the suspension nerd in me.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Banned

I guess I will go with the Gravana's also. I don't want to skimp to save a few hundred bucks. I just don't really want to spend money for no point.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:13 AM

Cobalt Addiction Phenolic Throttlebody Spacer i have one to sell never been use shot me a fair offer and its yours
Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

mikey thanks for the offer, if it turns out I need one, I will more then likely grab it, I am running everything by Turbo06Sedan to make sure he can do the work for me.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'd look at it like this, if you're still not sure about the coilovers/springs shock combo, i think the springs and shocks come out close to 800, if not 900 dollars. for a few hundred dollars more you could get coilovers, with so many more ways to adjust to your perfect setting.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

what about stock shocks and just get some lowering springs? Saves me....900? lol
Old 06-04-2008, 05:32 PM

you won't have enough room under the hood for dual pass option b and ingalls. i've tryed it
Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Go big or go home?
I guess you need to look at the Hahn kit then..
Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Banned

XbandiniX are you 100% sure? What about poly motor mounts will they fit?

Perfect.disguise it's funny that you say that because that is exactly what my mechanic Turbo06Sedan said lol. =D.

Can anyone send me a link to a PLUG N PLAY kit to a really good hid kit with projectors? Thanks.

I have decided against the coil overs for right now. I am just going to go with the eibach sportline lowering springs.

Does anyone know which vendor is the CHEAPIST for most parts in general. It seems as if every site has 1 thing cheaper and 1 thing more expensive, I really don't want to order 1 part from 10 different sites lol.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 06-05-2008 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 AM

I bought the Clear Image header/dp combo and gain 15hp at the wheels with no tune. Best purchase i've made so far and even at a better price. And it's even made in America! I've been looking into lowering my car as well but don't want to drop money on just springs because we tried with ones of our other cars and the shocks didn't last stock even up to 40k with stock mods. Best spend the money and do the right thing.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Banned

I have never heard of clear image, I planned on going with the ZZP combo, especially if they can hook me up with a good deal, hopefully I will see the same gains, if not more. Are you saying I should go with coil overs and not the lowering springs?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 AM

the zzp combo works good has no problems breatheing between that and a CAI
Old 06-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Banned

Sounds good, I believe thats what I am going to go with. Sounds like this is going to be done A LOT sooner than I thought. Looks like Turbo06Sedan and I will be getting this done very soon. I plan on having all the parts ordered tomorrow and hopefully will have them all installed and done by NO LATER than next Friday.

I will take random pics and make posts throughout it all. Thanks for everything thus far guys.

Quick Reply: Go Big or Go Home!