2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

got walked by a stock ss s/c

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On 60# you HAVE TO get rid of your CAT. IMO.

I have GREAT tunes for 60# here in AZ for HPT. You would just need to make minor changes to get your car dialed in. But having that CAT is a NO-NO, it WILL be clogged and you may as well pour cement into your exhaust.

And from my experience (more than most) a 60# injected car even with PERFECT AFRs will last about 10 months, so start saving up $3000-4000.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Psykostevo

I have GREAT tunes for 60# here in AZ for HPT. You would just need to make minor changes to get your car dialed in. But having that CAT is a NO-NO, it WILL be clogged and you may as well pour cement into your exhaust.

And from my experience (more than most) a 60# injected car even with PERFECT AFRs will last about 10 months, so start saving up $3000-4000.
engines going blamo is not a fuel issue.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47

big ****** stick
Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 AM

more temperature related, but if there is a fuel issue there will be excessive heat.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Rent me! per hour

more temperature related, but if there is a fuel issue there will be excessive heat.
and people look at me funny when i tell them to get an egt

::shrugs::
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM

speaking of which....how hard are they to install area?
i was planning on getting one when my header finally arrives.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have to agree, zex plugs are trash, ive gone through 3 sets. all JUNK........ (gm stage 2 tune) with the zex plugs i find that.... at first they are awesome, but once they get 1-2 months old its time for a new set.... alot of my friends change them at every oil change!!!! (i'm switching to ngks)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by powerz
man i love to drive but damn ur like 8 hrs lol mabey do it in 7 pushing it no wait ur close then that what part of ny are you in
dude thats 5 hours away and if its in the 5 burros your good then just gotta fight traffic thats all
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 PM

I have put about 35000 miles on the car since I put in the 60's
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by an0malous
speaking of which....how hard are they to install area?
i was planning on getting one when my header finally arrives.
pretty easy actually. the biggest pain in the ass is drilling the header
Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM

I have put about 35000 miles on the car since I put in the 60's
I ran 33,000 miles on mine.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:29 PM

ron a redline guy done a few on here we all run rich my bumpers black every 2 days
ron!! he has messed up so many cars lol.. at every meet he would tune someones car. and BOOOOOM limp mode lol.. would take about 4-5 trys to even get it right lol
Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sneaky
Do a couple WOT runs and I will check em out. PM me for e-mail address to send to. It's in your tune 99%.

I had the same issue, most likely pulling timing up top due to changing climates (knock) and the fact that no tune was built overnight. You should have walked him hard with what you have.

The stock SS/SC tune although a pita was built and designed for year round driving so he would not be affected by things as you would be modded.

P.S Get ZEX plugs. NGK's are the weak
mike how many times am i going to have to say this....

the Zex plugs are quite awesome BUT your spark dwell must be adjusted for them to be happy on the bottom end of the rpm range.

i'd bet the NGK's are an issue as well, i've seen nothing but horrid things from the 2step + colder iridium's.

i think you remeber what we talked about....

Some bad things:

Cylinder Airmass only measured just over 1.06? (seems weak.)

Your cat will go to hell in a hand basket if not re-tuned soon
I'm amazed that you can honestly ask that question when you have your answer DIRECTLY in front of you.

Considering some of the interesting things we have seen zex plugs do on this site alone....i wouldnt touch them with a ****** barge pole.

NGK is a quality plug
spark dwell, that is the zex plugs friend.

I run them, and run the **** outta then at times with NO ill-effects.

06blackg85ss, Psykostevo and my numbers can vouch for my tunes as well.

when used properly they are the BEST.

i was able to squeeze another 1-2deg of timeing outta them up top and even more thro the mid range when compared to my old NGK's

now thats ****** funny rite there.

pretty easy actually. the biggest pain in the ass is drilling the header
i use my EGT gauge more then my WB now a days....BUT once in a while i'll make a bit of a risky tune and watch how much quicker that turbo comes up when the egt's at 1800's

Last edited by 06black; 12-11-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol that pic is funny
I dunno about the ZEX plugs myself, never tried em, I've been using the NGK brk8eix's since day one and they have never given me a problem.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
lol that pic is funny
I dunno about the ZEX plugs myself, never tried em, I've been using the NGK brk8eix's since day one and they have never given me a problem.
then stick with what works brother man!!!

check your PMs
Old 12-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06black
I'm amazed that you can honestly ask that question when you have your answer DIRECTLY in front of you.
The answer does not always lay in front of you nor does the obvious seem like the logical choice when there is other variables.

It's called research first my friend. I KNOW what the answer may be BUT you just never know either. If he is not overboosting then how can you THINK you know.

-Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM

The answer does not always lay in front of you nor does the obvious seem like the logical choice when there is other variables.

It's called research first my friend. I KNOW what the answer may be BUT you just never know either. If he is not overboosting then how can you THINK you know.

-Mike
Are you taking philosophy? That sounds like something my teacher would say. Something that's barely literally coherent but in the realm of logical reasoning makes absolute sense.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM

*shrug* im sure they perform nice.

but ive seen multiple instances of those pretty little gimmicky prongs they use, dissapear.

wonder where they go?
if you know the answer, you know why i wont touch them.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM

what can I say... some of these cars are factory freaks... a buddy of mine with a bone stock IRL put down 5 more WHP on the dyno than I did... and I'm I/H/E & Staged.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan
what can I say... some of these cars are factory freaks... a buddy of mine with a bone stock IRL put down 5 more WHP on the dyno than I did... and I'm I/H/E & Staged.
Either he's lying or you need a new tune...
Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan
i think so to but in this case i have always been able to pull on him even when i was stock.Ive been thinking damn i wish i had more power for a bit now just figured i was getting use to the car and it just didnt feel like as much but running him i wasike damn ive lost power
Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Rent me! per hour

there is a point of running too cold of a plug.

you are .06 off on your mas air calibrations with a 2.79

please do more research the next time you let someone fiddle with the laptop in your car.

as steve said, get rid of the cat. ceramic cores can only sustain a max temp of 1400 degree's. if you really need a cat, find a steel core.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM

-Mike
I don't think about this mike, i know these things.

a partly(say20+%) or fully clogged cat will cause mild to extreme over boosting BUT a cat thats on its way out or just at the start of its death cycle will do just that, restrict exhaust gas thus backing up the whole intake system, thus lowering cylinder air mass BUT not raising MAP pressure by 1-2psi(our stock gauge has an error % almost that big). were talking FRACTIONS of a gram with cylinder air mass SOOOOOOO

a slight reduction in that wont cause a big jump in MAP pressure yet those fractions of a gram mean ohhhh sooo much .

its call research first my friend.

*shrug* im sure they perform nice.

but ive seen multiple instances of those pretty little gimmicky prongs they use, dissapear.

wonder where they go?
if you know the answer, you know why i wont touch them.
i feel ya on that man, and i've seen the issues on other cars.

i attest that to wicked high cylinder temps and knock.

i've had tons of first hand experiencewith many local cars that i've tuned for the zex plugs with no issue.

but like i said before, if you don't like them then don't use'm its all about being happy with your equipment.

Last edited by 06black; 12-11-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06black
I don't think about this mike, i know these things.

a partly(say20+%) or fully clogged cat will cause mild to extreme over boosting BUT a cat thats on its way out or just at the start of its death cycle will do just that, restrict exhaust gas thus backing up the whole intake system, thus lowering cylinder air mass BUT not raising MAP pressure by 1-2psi(our stock gauge has an error % almost that big). were talking FRACTIONS of a gram with cylinder air mass SOOOOOOO

a slight reduction in that wont cause a big jump in MAP pressure yet those fractions of a gram mean ohhhh sooo much .

its call research first my friend.
I never said he was overboosting though I never asked the question, we all know he is running super rich just by hearing he has to wipe his bumper of the black sut every day but he also has a hi flow cat too soo... I don't think it would be the cat but it doesnt' hurt to delete it. I totally agree with you there. The extra 500-700 RPM means all the difference for his top end.

but I also didn't get to see a full 2nd or 3rd gear pull, he stopped pulling after like 6500 RPM in 2nd so it didn't reach it's full cyl air mass either. pure speculation. That's why I wanted to see further runs before and after.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:07 PM

I never said he was overboosting though I never asked the question, we all know he is running super rich just by hearing he has to wipe his bumper of the black sut every day but he also has a hi flow cat too soo... I don't think it would be the cat but it doesnt' hurt to delete it. I totally agree with you there. The extra 500-700 RPM means all the difference for his top end.

but I also didn't get to see a full 2nd or 3rd gear pull, he stopped pulling after like 6500 RPM in 2nd so it didn't reach it's full cyl air mass either. pure speculation. That's why I wanted to see further runs before and after.
just compare a run in your car to a run in his, at any givin RPM.

a high flow VS none is a medium size differance so the air mass shouldent be TOOOO far off....

if it is in fact that rich then i would say its not the cat causing the main issue its the fuel. theres so much of it that it'll drop air mas. thats in part why a lean car makes more power.

Quick Reply: got walked by a stock ss s/c