2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Hahn Racecraft LSJ GT35R Turbo Project PICS RELEASED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06black
excellent.

thank you sir.

awesome piece!

when will they be available for purchase??

also, does the intake mani allow for porting the TB space for my lager ls4 unit?
And thank you too! We appreciate the appreciation, for we've put a lot of effort into this.

We will be shipping these in January, and can take orders now. PM me if you'd like to proceed.

I think sufficient material exists for porting to your throttle body, yes. Does it share the same mounting pattern as the stock 2.0 SC throttle body? How much larger is the throttle blade? Is it compatible with the stock control system and wiring harness?

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Hey Bill, got a question for ya. How much would the port fueler system be without the tuning for it? Just the manifold w/ injector ports and the fuel rail. I am planning on doing a similar setup(secondary injectors) but with the procharger. What size injectors are you using there? If there what im looking, what would be the price with injectors? Would you rather me shoot you a pm? Im trying to weight out all my options here, Thanks bill!
Street Race Sheetmetal Manifold with injector ports, fuel rail and mounting hardware runs about $950. One can use just about any injector that fits a particular fuel requirement (the manifold uses the most common injector type), but our primary spec will be 48 lb/hr. I don't have pricing for those handy, but if you'd like, PM me and I can get you a detailed quote after Christmas. Thank you too!

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
That's a pretty reasonable price IMO for that intake. Let me know when it's gonna be available cause I would like to scoop one up very shortly
See above...PM me if you'd like to get in the first production run!

Originally Posted by handyjoe
Bill,

What size injectors will the PortFueler be running?
See above.

Originally Posted by articzap
Didn't notice the two injectors per cylinder. 72 lb/hr on a return single injector setup for a 35r would be around the right size.
Quite true, if not a bit close to the limit depending on just how hard one pushes the GT35R and the base fuel pressure used.

Joe's car as shown here will be a bit overkill on injectors, what with 4) main 60 lb/hr and 4) PortFueler 48 lb/hr. As he already had the 60's in place, and they do work well on these cars, and as many of our prospective customers for this GT35R turbosystem may well also have them, we decided to leave them in place.

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 12-24-2007 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

How are you controlling the second rail?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EcoBoost
And thank you too! We appreciate the appreciation, for we've put a lot of effort into this.

We will be shipping these in January, and can take orders now. PM me if you'd like to proceed.

I think sufficient material exists for porting to your throttle body, yes. Does it share the same mounting pattern as the stock 2.0 SC throttle body? How much larger is the throttle blade? Is it compatible with the stock control system and wiring harness?

Street Race Sheetmetal Manifold with injector ports, fuel rail and mounting hardware runs about $950. One can use just about any injector that fits a particular fuel requirement (the manifold uses the most common injector type), but our primary spec will be 48 lb/hr. I don't have pricing for those handy, but if you'd like, PM me and I can get you a detailed quote after Christmas. Thank you too!

See above...PM me if you'd like to get in the first production run!
will be sending you a PM soon then!!

the LS4 unit is aprox 4in-4.25in over all.

i cant seem to dig up any specs on it, and its wicked cold out to measure mine.

so i'd say aprox 1in larger then stock.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I also have an LS4 TB that's currently off the car, but is sitting waiting to go back in.
On a side note, built motor should be done quite soon.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zinner
Did you upgrade the fuel system in anyway? Pump/filter/lines wise?
This is a particularly interesting challenge. We've used stock fuel pumps coupled in series with our inline upgrade pump for up to 500 HP safely on return-style fuel systems. Above that, the stock pump becomes a problem, and this one will definitely surpass that!

What with the more-than-ample potential fuel flow afforded by the combination of the 60's and 48's, we don't really need to reference fuel pressure to manifold pressure, nor employ a return-style system. On our SRT-4 versions of the PortFueler, we are in a similar situation with injector sizes, and do not use return-style systems on those cars with PortFueler.

The stock fuel line's .375" diameter is ample for 600HP, which is the target power level.

It's not on the car yet, but what I intend is a Bosch pump and Aeromotive regulator. The stock pump will stay in place, but it will not be forced to flow all of the fuel the engine demands, for even with a booster pump approach in series, it won't be enough. Nonetheless, the stock pump is a critical part of the function of the intank fuel delivery module, and just yanking it out of there is not the best course either. The way I integrate the Bosch pump and regulator into the stock pump/module/lines will be very unique, but I am confident it will work extremely well!

How are you controlling the second rail?
The PortFueler control module is in command of the four additional injectors (if you look further up the thread, you can see some info on this).

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 12-24-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM

hmm interesting. I was actually planning on a doing a return style setup on my car, but I will hold on til I see the outcome
Old 12-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Former Vendor

the LS4 unit is aprox 4in-4.25in over all.

i cant seem to dig up any specs on it, and its wicked cold out to measure mine.

so i'd say aprox 1in larger then stock.
It sounds like a neat piece, but you may not need it in a blow-through application such as this. Keep in mind, it's only subjected to atmospheric pressure on a SC application, whereas with this Turbosystem it will see actual boost pressure, thus significantly increasing its flow potential. As a point of comparison, on our PortFueler manifold-equipped Cavalier-Sunfire setups, we've made over 400 WHP blowing through the stock cable-actuated throttle body, which is markedly smaller in diameter than the new ETC t/b's as used on Cobalt. Joe's car will retain the stock t/b, and I forsee no detriment.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:21 PM

i bet this manifold (flow wise) Puts the stock ss\sc intercooler\manifold 2 shame........... but i wonder by how much........
Old 12-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Former Vendor

hmm interesting. I was actually planning on a doing a return style setup on my car, but I will hold on til I see the outcome
A point I'd like to make for clarity's sake: The return-style systems have their advantage, no doubt, and I'd like to state that our approach here is not intended to make them appear less effective than they are. With PortFueler, things are different: we have so much fuel injector capacity on board that we don't need one of the key features of a return-style system, which is its ability to add fuel pressure under boost. We can get the job done nicely with but 60 PSI of pressure at all times, not 60 PSI plus boost (80 PSI at 20 PSI boost, for instance).

In our PortFueler case, the advantages of not going return-style: simpler plumbing, and more fuel pump capacity / less stress on components due to the lower fuel pressures.

Originally Posted by spike
i bet this manifold (flow wise) Puts the stock ss\sc intercooler\manifold 2 shame........... but i wonder by how much........
You can be sure it does, for the internal twists and turns of the stock manifold add up to significant restriction at higher flows. We are also confident that cylinder-to-cylinder air distribution is much improved with our manifold.

I also wonder just how much of a difference in pure HP there is...perhaps one of you enterprising Turbo converts out there who are running the stock manifold/intercooler setup can upgrade to our manifold and front-mount intercooler and provide some before/after results!

Last edited by Hahn RaceCraft; 12-24-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-24-2007, 09:48 PM

that is no problem for me man. Sooner you get it to me, the sooner you get some dyno numbers.
One question, how far off the stock location will the TB be? (just for my current piping setup, if I need to change it)
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Former Vendor

that is no problem for me man. Sooner you get it to me, the sooner you get some dyno numbers.
One question, how far off the stock location will the TB be? (just for my current piping setup, if I need to change it)
The new TB location is just slightly to the right of stock, an inch or two...you may be able to bridge the gap with a longer hose connection. Joe also notes that he foresees much better oil filter access with the new manifold and TB location, by the way.

Are you already running an air-to-air intercooler instead of the stock unit?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:01 PM

actually running both right now, 1-2 inches isn't a big deal to make up. I was planning on redoing the pipe from the fmic to the tb in full 3" soon anyway (steps down to 2.5" after the maf, which I think is whats causing havoc on my tuning)
Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Former Vendor

actually running both right now, 1-2 inches isn't a big deal to make up. I was planning on redoing the pipe from the fmic to the tb in full 3" soon anyway (steps down to 2.5" after the maf, which I think is whats causing havoc on my tuning)
Ah yes, that's something you'll want to rectify...3" from the MAF to the TB is superior to keep the MAF happy. Then you have a front-mount air to air intercooler...very good! You'll enjoy simplifying the car by stripping out the liquid-to-air pump, hoses, hardware and cooling core.

Report on The Car Itself:

Joe's out driving the infant beast around as we speak. He will be getting the break-in done, then it's back to our facility for the remainder of fuel system prep and subsequent dyno madness.

The car is deceptively smooth...you'd have no idea it's soon to be packing a 600 HP punch. Driveability is awesome, the engine is silky smooth and quiet. Granted, it's just the beginning, but a good beginning it is, as the project objectives include daily civility and no tradeoffs resulting from the ultimately obscene power potential.

I'd like to wish you all a Very Merry Holiday, and I am signing off now until afterwards. Merry Christmas, Joe! Hope you love your present! I know I do!!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 PM

i cant wait 2 see the car in action!!!!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Former Vendor

There was one other thing too, lol...

Thanks to all of you for your interest. I know there's been disappointment that Twincharging setup we worked on never saw production. No one is more disappointed than me! I sank serious coin and time into it, and ultimately reached the conclusion that we could go pure turbo and make more power, with less complexity, and for less money, than twincharging.

While the Twincharging development phase did not directly result in viable product, it laid considerable groundwork for these pure turbosystems, so in a very real way, it was still seriously beneficial. What you see here is the ultimate result. If it all seems like a 'out-of-nowhere' rush of info, well...it is, at least in terms of public knowledge. What's gone on 'behind the scenes' for some time is, as you can see, most substantial! These new systems, combined with our wealth of development expertise with Ecotec in other vehicles, will provide some real options and excitement for you folks.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:01 AM

Well I got it back today and already put almost 300 miles on the car! Honestly, even with all the work done it drive like a stock Cobalt would. Very smooth throughout the powerband... Even though I havent gone over 1/4 throttle but everything sounds, looks, and of course performs amazing! I would recommend anyone with a Cobalt looking for a complete turbo system to wait for Hahn Racecraft!

Thanks again Bill, it was well worth the wait!
Old 12-25-2007, 12:41 PM

how much maybe i missed that post or something and can a person do it on his own?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

What kind of exhaust are you running?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:25 AM

What kind of exhaust are you running?
3" off the turbo all the way back!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 AM

I know this is somewhat talked about on this site but how does the MAF react with its placement?

shouldn't the MAF be placed on the intake pipe before the compressor so its not trying to read compressed air? someone feel free to educate me on this as I know the discussion has come up with MAF equipped turbo cars.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Very nice read indeed. Congrats on the ground-breaking turbo system...I can't wait to see some stunning numbers from that beast.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
I know this is somewhat talked about on this site but how does the MAF react with its placement?

shouldn't the MAF be placed on the intake pipe before the compressor so its not trying to read compressed air? someone feel free to educate me on this as I know the discussion has come up with MAF equipped turbo cars.
with this extremely crammed set up, they were able to equip the car with an intake of sorts on the turbo (i never did) so they could place the MAF in that spot, however on all the past turbo project cars the maf has been placed in the charge pipe to solve fueling issues that we've all ran across.

when its pre-turbo theres a nasty delay from TPS input until fuel is applied, only once the maf was moved to a blow thru set up did these issues arise.

as of yet there have been no ill-effects of this placement, you only loose a AIT1 data(your reading the temp of compressed air, not ambient)

I tried it in both location on my personal car and i talked with a few guys who were doing it as well(venders and private people alike) and we all had the same reactions and issues until the maf was put in the charge pipe.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor

with this extremely crammed set up, they were able to equip the car with an intake of sorts on the turbo (i never did) so they could place the MAF in that spot, however on all the past turbo project cars the maf has been placed in the charge pipe to solve fueling issues that we've all ran across.

when its pre-turbo theres a nasty delay from TPS input until fuel is applied, only once the maf was moved to a blow thru set up did these issues arise.

as of yet there have been no ill-effects of this placement, you only loose a AIT1 data(your reading the temp of compressed air, not ambient)

I tried it in both location on my personal car and i talked with a few guys who were doing it as well(venders and private people alike) and we all had the same reactions and issues until the maf was put in the charge pipe.
I concur with all of the above (save for the 'crammed' part, LOL!). I prefer to call it a 'compact' installation . All kidding aside, though, it is a real packaging job to get these components in there, and I am particularly proud of this turbosystesm, for the overall layout ended up very tidy.

We've done blow-through MAF's for some time now with excellent results on all of our turbo applications. One must bear in mind that a MAF sensor reads Mass Air Flow, which is not affected by pressure (density) changes. That's one reason why they are so damned accurate, as they 'see' mass airflow changes that are caused by pressure variations.

There are a couple more advantages to this method:

1. No re-wiring needed, as we have left the MAF in the stock location.
2. As the intake air temp sensor in our MAF location is reading actual intake air temperature delivered to the engine's cylinders (as opposed to ambient temp), it can react accurately to subtle aspects of charge air temperature (which increases with boost pressure) and intercooler performance; changes that would be missed by an ambient sensor. As this reading is used to calculate ignition timing, this is a significant factor. An ambient-only temp sensor is 'blind' to these changes.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:38 PM

subscribed
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
I concur with all of the above (save for the 'crammed' part, LOL!). I prefer to call it a 'compact' installation . All kidding aside, though, it is a real packaging job to get these components in there, and I am particularly proud of this turbosystesm, for the overall layout ended up very tidy.

We've done blow-through MAF's for some time now with excellent results on all of our turbo applications. One must bear in mind that a MAF sensor reads Mass Air Flow, which is not affected by pressure (density) changes. That's one reason why they are so damned accurate, as they 'see' mass airflow changes that are caused by pressure variations.

There are a couple more advantages to this method:

1. No re-wiring needed, as we have left the MAF in the stock location.
2. As the intake air temp sensor in our MAF location is reading actual intake air temperature delivered to the engine's cylinders (as opposed to ambient temp), it can react accurately to subtle aspects of charge air temperature (which increases with boost pressure) and intercooler performance; changes that would be missed by an ambient sensor. As this reading is used to calculate ignition timing, this is a significant factor. An ambient-only temp sensor is 'blind' to these changes.
sorry bill, i'm still pissed at how hard it is to get a turbo like this back there (my 30r runs a .70ar comp cover like your 35r)

Quick Reply: Hahn Racecraft LSJ GT35R Turbo Project PICS RELEASED!