2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Help which header and downpipe combo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by craigk_c19
i AM getting both the dual pass endplate and h/e no matter what but like i said im pretty dead set on getting stainless steal and i really would like a mid length header is it true about the 2.5 downpipe being to small?
If you are going to get a 2.5" dp then you might as well stick with the stocker.

if so then i might have to peace it togeather and where is the CA V2 header sold at?
Cobalt Addition
http://www.cobalt-addiction.com/performance.htm

On their website they are $269 + $20 for shipping

Or you can get the same header for $215 shipped on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ecote...Q5fAccessories

Originally Posted by Dainslaif
I know for a fact you've seen the threads involving ZZP's flex pipe welds breaking. They always say they've fixed the issue but it still happens, just like the flange leaks.
Is that problem with the ZZP dps that fit in the stock location or the ZZP dps with the midlengh header? I think the ZZP midlengh header/dp combo is junk. But I think the ZZP bolt in dp for the stock location are the best dps available. I have had two in my hands and they are awesome.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im so confused when i started this thread i was pretty sure i was going to get the vibrant header and down pipe combo but everyone but TTR is telling me that the 2.5 down pipe will hurt me but they dont have a 3'' and then so far nothing good has been said about zzp that one is out the window and the CI one is to much and now im confused and scaryed ill get something thats crap and not help me at all
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
no prob
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrant Exhaust

I Dont Know About You Guys But Im Not 18 Anymore.im In My Mid Fortys And Still Like Fast Cars. I Put The Vibrant Header,downpipe And 3inch Exhaust Last Night And It Is Loud Too Loud.it Is So Loud That You Have To Turn The Radio Up So You Can Hear It .it Is A Very Well Made Product.i Bet Its Great For The Track But Not For Everyday Driving. Im Going To Try To Put The Stock Rear Section Back On To See If It Gets Any Quiter Or Change The Header And Downpipe To Stock And Keep The Rear Section. Does Anybody Have Any Ideas?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by VALERA
I Dont Know About You Guys But Im Not 18 Anymore.im In My Mid Fortys And Still Like Fast Cars. I Put The Vibrant Header,downpipe And 3inch Exhaust Last Night And It Is Loud Too Loud.it Is So Loud That You Have To Turn The Radio Up So You Can Hear It .it Is A Very Well Made Product.i Bet Its Great For The Track But Not For Everyday Driving. Im Going To Try To Put The Stock Rear Section Back On To See If It Gets Any Quiter Or Change The Header And Downpipe To Stock And Keep The Rear Section. Does Anybody Have Any Ideas?
Your on the right track. The 3" cat-back is really loud. Its really only necessary for like 350hp +.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ebristol
Your on the right track. The 3" cat-back is really loud. Its really only necessary for like 350hp +.
Agreed, even though I think engines that have about 300+ WHP will start to benifit from a 3.0"

im so confused when i started this thread i was pretty sure i was going to get the vibrant header and down pipe combo but everyone but TTR is telling me that the 2.5 down pipe will hurt me but they dont have a 3'' and then so far nothing good has been said about zzp that one is out the window and the CI one is to much and now im confused and scaryed ill get something thats crap and not help me at all
Unless you get a 3.0" exhaust (which you already have a 2.5") it would be pointless IMO to get a 3" downpipe...

Imagine a straw with a big end and tapers down... It will only flow as much as the small end will allow... This is the same situation as your exhaust/DP.... What ever the smallest part is, is the amount it can flow...

You can always go bigger as you go through the exhaust, (example, a 2.5" downpipe and a 3.0" exhaust) but there is no point to a 3.0" DP and a 2.5" exhaust...

Last edited by TurboTechRacing; 03-27-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

ive never hear of CIA what is it?
Clear Image Automotive.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM

Personaly i would get ebristols header dp combo ( from him.... if he has not sold it yet or from where he told you, would be a good header dp combo even tho its not a midlength still will help ur powerband and if ur gona bring ur rpm's up past the stock limmiter( tuning / moving rev limiter up) i would personaly grab what he has.. definatly good quality and also a good hp / tq specs. ) another plus is that its a 3 in up to the 2.5 bolt it... rilly i would say get it because u cant beat it.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Unless you get a 3.0" exhaust (which you already have a 2.5") it would be pointless IMO to get a 3" downpipe...

Imagine a straw with a big end and tapers down... It will only flow as much as the small end will allow... This is the same situation as your exhaust/DP.... What ever the smallest part is, is the amount it can flow...
Not really.

The thing you are forgetting is the temp of the exhaust gases. When the exhaust gasses first leave the head it is very hot. Hot air expands which means it takes up more space.

When the air is hot you need more space to flow the same amount of air compared to cooler temps.

As the exhaust gasses travel through the exhaust system they cool down and become denser. Therefor requiring less space to flow the same amount of air.

So the analogy you drew about a straw with a big end that tapers down is true in the fact that you would need the beginning of the straw to be larger then the end to have an equal flow of air.

I don't have an egt gauge to read the temp of the exhaust gases as soon as it leaves the head but it is very hot. Like 800 degrees.

I don't have a way to read the temp of the exhaust gases as soon as it leaves the muffler but I know I can hold my hand in front of it and not get burned.

You would not try that with the exhaust gasses directly from the head.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ebristol
Not really.

The thing you are forgetting is the temp of the exhaust gases. When the exhaust gasses first leave the head it is very hot. Hot air expands which means it takes up more space.

When the air is hot you need more space to flow the same amount of air compared to cooler temps.

As the exhaust gasses travel through the exhaust system they cool down and become denser. Therefor requiring less space to flow the same amount of air.

So the analogy you drew about a straw with a big end that tapers down is true in the fact that you would need the beginning of the straw to be larger then the end to have an equal flow of air.

I don't have an egt gauge to read the temp of the exhaust gases as soon as it leaves the head but it is very hot. Like 800 degrees.

I don't have a way to read the temp of the exhaust gases as soon as it leaves the muffler but I know I can hold my hand in front of it and not get burned.

You would not try that with the exhaust gasses directly from the head.

That would be a good point...

But you will also have a much higher air travel velocity with hotter air, which should require less room (particles are "excited" as books would state). As the air cools, the particles also slow down, needing more space.... That is why you want bigger as you go further down the exhaust, not smaller....

That is why turbochargers work better on the manifold and not at the tail pipe (like some universal kits are) Heat allows for a higher air velocity (speed)
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM

its too bad weapon r doesnt make the 4-2-1 long tube header anymore...i think im the only one with it too
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by VictoryRed06
its too bad weapon r doesnt make the 4-2-1 long tube header anymore...i think im the only one with it too
Really they discontinued it? It was very close to the vibrant setup, if I remember correctly...
Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 PM

ya pretty sure they did...i was there test car for there stuff for the cobalt since there shop is in south san fransisco which is about an hour away from me...but i just went on their website to look for a pic to post up for this guy asking about header/dp set ups and couldnt find it...too bad if they did cause i love this header...great for mid and high range power
Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 AM

As stated above, exhaust gases are hotter as they leave the engine then they are leaving the tailpipe. The reason a 3" down-pipe works so well, and IS the best choice for the supercharged engine, is based on the exhaust temps, expansion rates and velocity. A combination exhaust system using both 3" and 2 1/2" can be referred to as an "expansion system". The larger 3" tubing up front allows the hot exhaust gases room to rapidly expand and excellerate. As the gases travel rearwards they start to cool and condense. The cooler exhaust gases do NOT need more room to flow properly. Just the opposite, the cooler exhaust gases require smaller tubing in order for the velocity to remain constant. This type of exhaust is actually my preferance for making power, though I prefer a true 3" for sound as it makes for a nice deep tone.

Also as stated above, everyone but one vendor has recommended the 3" down-pipe. As a manufacturer of headers and down-pipes, and having the ability to build both 2 1/2" as well as 3", we have nothing to gain or lose by suggesting the 3". With that being said, the 3" IS the best choice for the down-pipe. Period. But if you really want a 2 1/2", we can built it too.

With the amount of members interested in stainless headers, I will take a look at ordering stainless material in higher volumes to possibly get the retail price down equal to or lower than the Vibrant set-up. However, we do use a 100% stainless metallic core cat converters compared to the old school ceramic core converter. So there is no way we can offer our converter less than a competitor marketing the cheaper converters.

We realize we are more expensive than other companies but we also offer a lifetime warranty. I'm pretty confident in saying NO other vendor or manufacturer offers the same.

Thanks for suggesting us to this member everyone. We're listening to your comments, as always, and will work to make our stainless headers more affordable for you all.

Here's a picture of our 304 stainless steel header:

Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Former Vendor

Actually Vibrant does use "100% stainless metallic core cat converters"
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by VictoryRed06
ya pretty sure they did...i was there test car for there stuff for the cobalt since there shop is in south san fransisco which is about an hour away from me...but i just went on their website to look for a pic to post up for this guy asking about header/dp set ups and couldnt find it...too bad if they did cause i love this header...great for mid and high range power
Cobalt addiction has them and pics.

hey turbo tech, can you guys build a full lengh header with 1 5/8 step to a 1 3/4 with a 3" collector and a 3' dp that will bolt up, like the cti but better.

Last edited by scott allen; 03-28-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2009, 01:53 PM

Vibrant. Very nice quality and gives a decent amount a hp gains. It also is very easy to install.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM

I have the Clear Image 4 into 1 header, DP w/high flow cat and 3" catback with the Magna Flow muffler. I LOVE IT!!!

http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Chevy%20Cobalt.htm
Old 03-29-2009, 02:09 AM

would a catless downpipe make my car sound like a ricer with that stupid raspy sound? because i finally decided to go with zzp so i could get everything i need plus ill get a 50 gift card for when i buy my dual interctors too anyways one last question is witch is better stainless steal or ceramic? as as my first question do i need a cat so it wont sound like crap?

bumb

Last edited by craigk_c19; 03-29-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
Actually Vibrant does use "100% stainless metallic core cat converters"
Hmmm? There are two pictures of their header with converters. One is with a ceramic core converter and the other is with a spun metalic core converter.

So the Regular price of $649.99 is for the metallic core then? I'f I'm going to work at competing with you I want to make sure we're comparing our apples to their apples.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Banned

would a catless downpipe make my car sound like a ricer with that stupid raspy sound? because i finally decided to go with zzp
Yes, it'll sound ricey. You may also want to invest in a spare flex pipe as yours will inevitably break the welds.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:50 AM

Yes, it'll sound ricey. You may also want to invest in a spare flex pipe as yours will inevitably break the welds.
ive talked myself out of the zzp already heck i think it all depends on what im feeling the day i have the $$ to do this witch should be monday or tuesday lol but now im feeling vibrant again even tho yall say i need a 3'' dp ive heard nothing but good things about it and that you can feel a difference even lol im surpised im not getting flamed
Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 AM

That is not true dains. It happened once. Get over it.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 PM

so zzp isnt so bad?

Last edited by craigk_c19; 03-29-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM

so zzp isnt so bad?
I have personally held two of their dps in my hands. They are very high quality. I don't like their midlength header dp combo but you can't go wrong with their dp that bolts into the stock location.

Just like all companies some of their products are better then others.

Quick Reply: Help which header and downpipe combo?