2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

High flow intake manifold***picking off where rebel stopped**

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the test one is free, ill be a tester. If not, i have no money to buy one yet
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jn2
we still dont know what this manifold will do, but a more cooling efficient manifold in what we're aiming for...currently i believe i have spoken to a few people who want to be testers...including one 2.2 and a few lsjs
if you dont know what the manifold will do, if you are just guessing , thats a big leap of faith to test something; as in how to test?measured how ? compared to previous data replicated according to a predetermined protocol? Or do you just stick the whole thingn on a motor and go to an ambient condition roller dyno and find it does what? And you are paying for this? Or are the testers? I wish you all the best...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well apparently this touches a nerve. My OPINION is that it will help with cooling because of the airflow. Right now, the air must flow through these restrictive (and manifold-specific) choke points:
1) The top of the manifold, where it narrows at an extreme rate.
2) The first laminova entry port / sliver
3) The second laminova entry port / sliver
4) The third laminova entry port / sliver
5) The fourth laminova entry port / sliver
5) The fourth laminova exit port / sliver
Whereas my imaginary redesigned intake manifold would have no actual choke point other than:
1) A plate of fins and channels on a heat exchanger

That is why I am so retarded enough to think this will help in reducing temps, because of some insane notion that by not pushing the air through as many choke points will not heat up the air as much.

I know, I'm weird. I have the dual pass, extra tank, extra H/E, and I still think this will help. Call the police, I think we have an MHA....
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
if you dont know what the manifold will do, if you are just guessing , thats a big leap of faith to test something; as in how to test?measured how ? compared to previous data replicated according to a predetermined protocol? Or do you just stick the whole thingn on a motor and go to an ambient condition roller dyno and find it does what? And you are paying for this? Or are the testers? I wish you all the best...
we're not guessing, its just we cant go out and say "buy this it will lower your IAT2's close to ambient" you know...we are using proven intercoolers inside the manifold, using garret air>water cores, not the cheapest, but definetly one of the best
Originally Posted by thought
Well apparently this touches a nerve. My OPINION is that it will help with cooling because of the airflow. Right now, the air must flow through these restrictive (and manifold-specific) choke points:
1) The top of the manifold, where it narrows at an extreme rate.
2) The first laminova entry port / sliver
3) The second laminova entry port / sliver
4) The third laminova entry port / sliver
5) The fourth laminova entry port / sliver
5) The fourth laminova exit port / sliver
there will be a listtle restrictions on this as possible, air>water cores have a extremely high efficiency...they dont cause loads drop like the air/air cores...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM

He brings up a good point. The tester must provide accurate unbias data of the before and after results.

Lets not let this turn into the JBP vortex header where all the owners report gains but no one has any proof.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:36 PM

He brings up a good point. The tester must provide accurate unbias data of the before and after results.

Lets not let this turn into the JBP vortex header where all the owners report gains but no one has any proof.

I am excited for the results!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by ebristol

I am excited for the results!
take it up with ralliartist lol, he mentioned he wanted to be a tester...im sure we could all trust him...he's unbiased...has nothing to do with vulcanturbo...he's not a vendor, a employee, or anything just another css member...also i believe arielatom wanted to be a tvs tester...
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
we're not guessing, its just we cant go out and say "buy this it will lower your IAT2's close to ambient" you know...we are using proven intercoolers inside the manifold, using garret air>water cores, not the cheapest, but definetly one of the best

there will be a listtle restrictions on this as possible, air>water cores have a extremely high efficiency...they dont cause loads drop like the air/air cores...
HUH? air/air cores? I am thinking more than giant leap of faith on this project if you dont know what a laminova core is...and restrictions in the inlet? refer to Omega in Sas-katch-ewan for good info on inlet/exh flow balance on an s/c engine...
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Jn2

we are using water to air cores from garret...its a 500hp core...we ARE NOT USING AIR TO AIR CORES, that would be plain retarted...waster flows thru the inside, air flows thru the outside...who in their right mind would use a core ment to flow air both ways....
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 PM

its funny how you people put down sooo much that you dont know. there are a few people here who have done air to air and came up with incredible results. and there are people who have made better air to water setups. there are way better options than gm for cooling but everyone puts it down soooooooooooo bad its not worth mentioning. either way you go its been done already
Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM

I have a great idea...

1. Scrap the stock air to water setup.

2. Create a tubular intake manifold straight from supercharger to intake ports.

3. Run water/meth injection.

I think this will give you the flow you need with exceptional cooling. There is only so much you can do for a supercharger that is known for heat... I.E. HEATON

Here I did this in about 10 min... obviously just to give you an idea...

Actually I'm not sure you would run water/meth that close... but you could dump it pre-supercharger...

Last edited by schamsy; 07-13-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM

any updates from Vulcan?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Jn2

waiting on aluminum flanges to arrive, should arrive mid week...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by schamsy
I have a great idea...

1. Scrap the stock air to water setup.

2. Create a tubular intake manifold straight from supercharger to intake ports.

3. Run water/meth injection.

I think this will give you the flow you need with exceptional cooling. There is only so much you can do for a supercharger that is known for heat... I.E. HEATON

Here I did this in about 10 min... obviously just to give you an idea...

Actually I'm not sure you would run water/meth that close... but you could dump it pre-supercharger...
where's the exceptional cooling part?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
where's the exceptional cooling part?
water/meth
Old 07-13-2009, 04:58 PM

water/meth
You'll need to carry a 55 gallon drum of it for daily driving. Think of your design on top of a water to air intercooler. It'd be even deadlier.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:04 PM

water/meth
not just one but 4 injectors huh....
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrsilent13
not just one but 4 injectors huh....
Thats the first thing every company wants in a new design/invention... something crazy... that hasnt been done before, thats where the good ideas come from... even though 4 nozzles is nothing new.. its different for a cobalt...

Yes that was the "idea" I was just bored at work fartin around...

Here.... maybe some sort of water to air and instead of running laminovas, run a heat exchanger sort of deal/ along with water/meth....

Last edited by schamsy; 07-13-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM

The manifold should have ports for either direct port nitrous or water/meth.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
The manifold should have ports for either direct port nitrous or water/meth.
Are you refering the the manifold I proposed on page 12?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Jn2

the manifold will have meth/n2o ports as a extra option..they're looking into using Garrett water/air cores(basically a h/e) in the manifold...also...also a little of topic update...Vulcans new m3 intake mani outflowed the high flow manifold from BMW...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jn2
the manifold will have meth/n2o ports as a extra option..they're looking into using Garrett water/air cores(basically a h/e) in the manifold...also...also a little of topic update...Vulcans new m3 intake mani outflowed the high flow manifold from BMW...
Not really surprised. If BMW can't buy from another source they will try to make it with whatever limited resources they have, i.e, BMW using GM's 6T70 transmission.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by slowswap
You'll need to carry a 55 gallon drum of it for daily driving. Think of your design on top of a water to air intercooler. It'd be even deadlier.
LOL. the engineers at GM when we did time attack were taken by ice bath. The gains are HUGE for power. The Bonneville Balt ran an ice bath. It also weighed about 5000 lbs. They want weight coz the wheels spin. Anyway we built it. it worked. awesome. add 150 lbs of ice, get way more power, lasts about 100 seconds. Net gain? slower lap times.

We hired an ice truck for the test. It used so much ice.

end of experiment. It is a great story and its true. It will work for 1/4 mile for sure...

There are some nice drawings here, good ideas and great energy from Jn2 but there is no engineering analysis here its trial by error, and someone is gonna pay for it and the cooling enginering analysis if you care to do it, says this wont work. So what did youget for your money?

But go ahead. I dont want to squash ideas but a little scientific method would be good to justify spending all that time and money.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Interesting to see what comes out of this.

I run with the standard LSJ manifold, but for my mid-engined/RWD car with GM Ecotec engine I had some thoughts sketched for a new manifold with proper straight runners, a plenum and a plate type (water) cooler core inside. The SC had to be turned upsidedown and lowered for this (lower mass point, 850kg car!) and the alternator is repositioned in the AC spot. (No AC in my car, I have the Atom SC belt layout. And no roof. )

This would be so much work for no proven gain and probably a lot of issues with placement (the oil filter, the starter), so it will probably never be realized:

Note: This will probably never fit into a US Cobalt/Redline.

Last edited by Speedytec; 07-14-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Jn2

i like having AC...100*f weather needs AC...also the lsj has 2 fans...not enough room

Quick Reply: High flow intake manifold***picking off where rebel stopped**