2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

High octane fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47
lol
ohhhh nothing, because apparently you don't have to tune it.

gee, why didn't i know this on my past 6 cars that i have sprayed.

::slams head into desk::

/sarcasm
I think more people should operate their vehicles (at least 100 yards away from me) with wreckless abandon. In fact, I'm pretty sure we should encourage spray as the first modification that anyone makes when the purchase a car... and highly encourage it amongst high school drivers... and I highly support self installation, even if you don't have the skills to even change your own oil (which I have never done on a car actually)...
Old 05-28-2007, 04:42 PM

No tuning with a nitrous Guess the engine knows what to do when all that extra fuel and n2o gets injected @ 1000psi. Hello Mr. Stock Timing
Old 05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alaskacobalt
I think more people should operate their vehicles (at least 100 yards away from me) with wreckless abandon. In fact, I'm pretty sure we should encourage spray as the first modification that anyone makes when the purchase a car... and highly encourage it amongst high school drivers... and I highly support self installation, even if you don't have the skills to even change your own oil (which I have never done on a car actually)...
bwahahahhahahaha

i see what you did there sir, and i must say, it's funny!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Did you see that i said that i did change the timing and installed colder spark plugs,... anyone? i dont exactly call that tuning. my a/f ratio didint change at all. after installing the nitrous. i dont get all the disrespect on this site. if there is anthing else that should be changed just say so. that was the question. not
"lol ohhhh nothing, because apparently you don't have to tune it.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by widebody_balt_ss
Did you see that i said that i did change the timing and installed colder spark plugs,... anyone? i dont exactly call that tuning. my a/f ratio didint change at all. after installing the nitrous. i dont get all the disrespect on this site. if there is anthing else that should be changed just say so. that was the question. not

Personally, I would take it to a performance shop that deals with nitrous on a regular basis. If you look around on here, there are very few people on here that are spraying and those that are, many of them had their setup installed for them. For me, I would want a factory certified installer to do the work for something as volatile as nitrous on my vehicle. They have them everywhere, hell, we have a few here in Alaska, so I'm sure there is somewhere nearby you that could do it as well. It might cost a bit, but in the long run it is definitely worth it. As for the spark plugs, I would have gone with Zex plugs with nitrous, they perform better in a nitrous environment than do any other plugs on the market. I used them with my sprayed Celica, and had absolutely no issues with it, and I use to run spray all the damn time like an idiot. I'd be driving to the grocery store spraying sometimes... and never had an issue with Zex. But I had that kit and everything to do with it tuned professionally... and didn't mess with anything, except bottle changes.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 PM

Anytime you have to log data and then alter the tune accordingly using HP Tuners or something similar it is considered tuning. You should use copper plugs with nitrous; never use platinum and from what i've seen iridium isn't the greatest either. I didn't see where you said what kind of plugs you used, i'm just adding that in.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Rent me! per hour

in short, you just put jets in, backed timing down.

hmmmm
okies

im here just to give people the facts of it. you have to keep more then 2 jets in the car at all times.

a/f ratio changes with bottle pressure. say you think it's fine at 950 psi. what happens when it's at 1100 psi?

it's leaner. jump up a jet size.

what happens when the pressure is 850? richer, jump down a jet size. .002 either way will keep the a/f in check, in a safe zone.

im in no way talking down on what you are doing, i just hate seeing people getting the wrong info, or just part of it
Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 PM

in short, you just put jets in, backed timing down.

hmmmm
okies

im here just to give people the facts of it. you have to keep more then 2 jets in the car at all times.

a/f ratio changes with bottle pressure. say you think it's fine at 950 psi. what happens when it's at 1100 psi?

it's leaner. jump up a jet size.

what happens when the pressure is 850? richer, jump down a jet size. .002 either way will keep the a/f in check, in a safe zone.

im in no way talking down on what you are doing, i just hate seeing people getting the wrong info, or just part of it
Or when it's at 850, you could take a torch to the bottle . Seriously though, you're right about bottle pressure. You should always control it as best as possible. That's why it's good to set it up for a specific bottle pressure that you will see on average in your area based on ambient temperatures, that way if for some reason you couldn't heat your bottle you would always be a little rich (better safe than sorry) and if you can heat up the bottle you'll be good to go.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey851
Or when it's at 850, you could take a torch to the bottle .
If nothing else, you could use the torch to make paninis out of your trunk... mmm...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 PM

I hope you weren't disrespected by my response. But anyway as stated playing with timing is tuning. Also like stated (I don't know what plugs you have) I stay away from platinum with nitrous. As bottle pressures change you get less nitrous injected. I'm not sure on this since I've been out of the nitrous game for like 4 years, but I think zex has a kit that monitors bottle pressure and adjust fuel pressure accordingly so there is less tuning. Hopefully someone who's still in the game can chime in on that one.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by blueta
I hope you weren't disrespected by my response. But anyway as stated playing with timing is tuning. Also like stated (I don't know what plugs you have) I stay away from platinum with nitrous. As bottle pressures change you get less nitrous injected. I'm not sure on this since I've been out of the nitrous game for like 4 years, but I think zex has a kit that monitors bottle pressure and adjust fuel pressure accordingly so there is less tuning. Hopefully someone who's still in the game can chime in on that one.
zex kits do not monitor ****.
they have jets like every other kit on the market.

pull a box apart, the solinoids are still the same as everything else.

just stating a fact, nothing more.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:05 PM

How do they get away with their advertising? Here's a quote from their site:

• ZEX Nitrous Systems have an advanced, patented feature called "Active Fuel Control". This feature monitors nitrous bottle pressure and adds or subtracts enrichment fuel so the engine never runs too rich, or too lean, when you engage the nitrous system.

I know they have solenoids, and jets obviously. Otherwise how would you choose what shot you want/or activate the flow. But for them to advertise what it does, there has to be something else inside that little purple box to do something remotely close to what they are saying I wish I had one to rip apart and see what's going on inside.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM

Personally, I would take it to a performance shop that deals with nitrous on a regular basis. If you look around on here, there are very few people on here that are spraying and those that are, many of them had their setup installed for them. For me, I would want a factory certified installer to do the work for something as volatile as nitrous on my vehicle. They have them everywhere, hell, we have a few here in Alaska, so I'm sure there is somewhere nearby you that could do it as well. It might cost a bit, but in the long run it is definitely worth it. As for the spark plugs, I would have gone with Zex plugs with nitrous, they perform better in a nitrous environment than do any other plugs on the market. I used them with my sprayed Celica, and had absolutely no issues with it, and I use to run spray all the damn time like an idiot. I'd be driving to the grocery store spraying sometimes... and never had an issue with Zex. But I had that kit and everything to do with it tuned professionally... and didn't mess with anything, except bottle changes.
im using the zex spark plugs. they are great.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by blueta
How do they get away with their advertising? Here's a quote from their site:

• ZEX Nitrous Systems have an advanced, patented feature called "Active Fuel Control". This feature monitors nitrous bottle pressure and adds or subtracts enrichment fuel so the engine never runs too rich, or too lean, when you engage the nitrous system.

I know they have solenoids, and jets obviously. Otherwise how would you choose what shot you want/or activate the flow. But for them to advertise what it does, there has to be something else inside that little purple box to do something remotely close to what they are saying I wish I had one to rip apart and see what's going on inside.
With my Zex kit on my Celica, I never had to monitor ****, it was all done for me. I had to watch my bottle, and watch for things that look out of the ordinary, but other than that, I really didn't have much to worry about at all. I never changed out jets, I just let the system control it and I never had any issues, regardless of how full the bottle was. The performance seemed to be the same whether I had a full bottle or nearly empty one.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM

zex kits do not monitor ****.
they have jets like every other kit on the market.

pull a box apart, the solinoids are still the same as everything else.

just stating a fact, nothing more.
I was going to post the same thing that blueta^ posted above. straight from thier site. and i also called comp cams and had a technican run me through everything i did. i have everyhting from the window switch to the bottle warmer. he advised me about the timing and the plugs. showed me exactly how to learn the t.ps and nitrous mang. unit. iv ran through a cupple of bottles and it runs great so far.

With my Zex kit on my Celica, I never had to monitor ****, it was all done for me. I had to watch my bottle, and watch for things that look out of the ordinary, but other than that, I really didn't have much to worry about at all. I never changed out jets, I just let the system control it and I never had any issues, regardless of how full the bottle was. The performance seemed to be the same whether I had a full bottle or nearly empty one.
my 1/4 mile times are the same w/ full bottle or almost empty.

Last edited by widebody_balt_ss; 05-28-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Rent me! per hour

on their dry kits, there is NO way to monitor fuel pressure. i have installed at least 40 zex dry kits. there is a bottle feed, integrated tps switch in a lil cpu board.

the wet kits are easier to explain. they have what is commonly refered to a hobbs switch. it shuts off below a certain psi. which shuts down the system. simple. it is just in another form.

all of this can be done with other kits, and a few add ons.

there are ways to monitor everything, such as an FJO controller, or the stupidly expensive venom nitrous kit.

i prefer the kiss method.

K keep
I it
S simple
S stupid

take it how you will. i have never used saftey crap, i have never used a zex kit on any of my own cars. i have never lost a motor to nitrous.

ok now i go!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 PM

on their dry kits, there is NO way to monitor fuel pressure. i have installed at least 40 zex dry kits. there is a bottle feed, integrated tps switch in a lil cpu board.

the wet kits are easier to explain. they have what is commonly refered to a hobbs switch. it shuts off below a certain psi. which shuts down the system. simple. it is just in another form.

all of this can be done with other kits, and a few add ons.

there are ways to monitor everything, such as an FJO controller, or the stupidly expensive venom nitrous kit.

i prefer the kiss method.

K keep
I it
S simple
S stupid

take it how you will. i have never used saftey crap, i have never used a zex kit on any of my own cars. i have never lost a motor to nitrous.

ok now i go!
I have used all that safty crap, i have used a zex kit on my car, i also have never lost an engine due to nitrous. and no-one was ever talking about dry kits. I would never use a dry kit on a car like this.

ok, now I go!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:33 PM

I have used all that safty crap, i have used a zex kit on my car, i also have never lost an engine due to nitrous. and no-one was ever talking about dry kits. I would never use a dry kit on a car like this.

ok, now I go!
I swear it's like I keep reading the same thing over and over... but with different people saying it. ;0
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 PM

I swear it's like I keep reading the same thing over and over... but with different people saying it. ;0
lol, i keep typing untill everyone else is done,.... its a bet i have with myself that I can make my name the last one on every thred i post in....
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM

I ran a ZEX dry kit on 3 cars now. On 2 of them, never did any tuning to it other than basic mods and changing our the sprak plugs.....never had a problem and the cars ran the same as they did before installing the kit........now I don't know anything about putting them on an SS/SC.....but just stating another fact that if you do your research and know what you are doing when you install it and use it, you won't have a problem. People who blow up their cars on nitrous are just idiots.

lol, i keep typing untill everyone else is done,.... its a bet i have with myself that I can make my name the last one on every thred i post in....
you're crazy

Last edited by katie; 05-28-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by katie
I ran a ZEX dry kit on 3 cars now. On 2 of them, never did any tuning to it other than basic mods and changing our the sprak plugs.....never had a problem and the cars ran the same as they did before installing the kit........now I don't know anything about putting them on an SS/SC.....but just stating another fact that if you do your research and know what you are doing when you install it and use it, you won't have a problem. People who blow up their cars on nitrous are just idiots.

you're crazy
see, there ya go.... now i have to write anouther responce....lol
Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM

I also wouldn't ever use a dry kit on a forced induction car. The FI cars already have a huge strain on the injectors, if you use a dry kit you'll be putting even more fuel pressure through them. I do however like them on n/a cars under 150 shot. They are perfectly fine and simpler to install (not that a wet kit is much more involved). But what I'm not understanding is how a hobbs switch is compensating for bottle pressure. Hobbs switches are either open or closed circuit. So what it sounds like you are saying that is when the bottle pressure gets below a certain psi (or over if more then one switch is used) it will do what? Shut the nitrous solenoid? BTW, I used safety devices on nitrous setups. At least a FPSS/window switch (hobbs) is something to use and it's cheap protection. Spraying at too low or an rpm can be catastrophic as well as your fuel pressure dropping for any reason.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM

^^ good info...
lol. im looking to the name of the thred and then reading back about 3 pages.... you would have no idea that this started as a fuel thred huh?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Rent me! per hour

zex kits do not have a control over bottle pressure, they will spray at 300 psi, or 2k psi.

i got bored at the shop one time and tried this.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 PM

zex kits do not have a control over bottle pressure, they will spray at 300 psi, or 2k psi.

i got bored at the shop one time and tried this.
Sounds like a fun job. You should have sprayed one of your buddies Anyway, what is the hobbs switch supposed to be doing?

Quick Reply: High octane fuel?