2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

How do most people do the ice box mod? And why such a poor dragstrip performance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollingboostedss
when I went to track I was running a 2.6 with no updated H/e and just a bag of ice sitting on the s/c and waited 15 min between runs and I ran a 13.90 at 109mph. but that is besides the point but make sure you give your car enough cool down time between runs.
so you were running common stage 2 times on a much smaller pulley?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
I was running on a street tire and a stock clutch slipping. I think if I had slicks on the car and a better clutch I would have been faster. but to answer your question yes
Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep. all of the above. just be careful not to kill the battery with the fans. i managed that a couple weeks ago
I did that while waiting for a track cleanup. how embarasing.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maxim_X
I did that while waiting for a track cleanup. how embarasing.
happened to me in the front of the line for my class! fail
Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is wrong. i know what you are getting at, and it doesnt apply the same way in drag racing. for short bursts, it is beneficial. you would have to be either ignorant or in denial to argue introducing completely new MUCH colder fluid into a water/air system. the weight negligible and the fact intake temps are only rising say 11-13* across a full pass is proof it doesnt heak soak as bad.

now, in a road course application a large enough system to keep the system chilled would be a bad choice.
Post up the IATs before and after an ice box mod. Include a formula for HP gained based on IAT drop and compare it to ETs based on additional weight. Do that and you have me sold.

until then, I'll go on my experience. closed system with an efficient IC and they work for drag racing. open system, FWD, inefficient IC/blower, it doesn't work.
Originally Posted by firepinch
So what do you suggest to me Zoomer if I would like to trap around 106 to 108 mph like other people who have a 2.7" pulley without meth? It seems like I'm far away from this with my 102 mph! My clutch is slipped during my 14.0 @ 102 mph pass, but I dont think that my clutch slip would reduce that much my mph!
depends on mod list but most likely the pulley is too small for your mods. Add octane or increase pulley size.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 PM

The iceboxes work, theres a guy on JBO named Airtonics and I had to race him at the GM Tuner Bash in Ohio this year. His IATs were 40 degrees cooler than mine. He was running 12.8s.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zooomer
Post up the IATs before and after an ice box mod. Include a formula for HP gained based on IAT drop and compare it to ETs based on additional weight. Do that and you have me sold.

until then, I'll go on my experience. closed system with an efficient IC and they work for drag racing. open system, FWD, inefficient IC/blower, it doesn't work.
i dont save logs forever, therefore i dont have any from before i did it. even if i did, i doubt i would have one with close enough conditions (temp, humidity) etc. to make an accurate comparison. i have logs on my setup showing i only gained 12* from start to finish at the track on stage 2 with it as my only cooling mod. i dont believe its the end of all ends in cooling, but it is effective. it dramatically reduces the temperature of the manifold (if already heatsoaked obviously) and the fluid itself does not increase one bit during a drag pass. whether or not its on an inefficient blower/ic setup doesnt change the fact it works. if it works it works. thats like arguing intercoolers ONLY work on inefficient turbos. makes no sense. the results may be better/worse on a varying setup, but it doesnt change the fact that cooler fluid is better in a water/air system. what in the hell does the car being fwd have to do with anything?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes but do you see how much high he traps? Lack of traction can be a big reason why his time looks like a stage 2 time with the right 60'. You can talk about me doing like a stage 2 car however .

Originally Posted by Zooomer
depends on mod list but most likely the pulley is too small for your mods. Add octane or increase pulley size.
Maybe my stock catback is restricting how much power my car can have? My mod list was there at the beginning of this tread but I'm gonna tell it again:

-2.7" pulley
-60 lbs/hr injectors
-OTTP tune, 18 degrees of timing @ WOT, around 11.5-11.6 of AFR
-R.A.W. cold air intake
-CTI header
-CTI 3" downpipe
-STOCK catback
-OTTP heat exchanger
-GM dual pass intercooler endplate
-Stu mod
-OTTP rotated trans mounts stage 2
-Nitto INVO 235/35/R18 @ 22 PSI at the dragstrip (front tires)
-Football balloons @ 30 PSI, one of them failed while I was on my way for the dragstrip. They were used as dragbags into the rear springs.

I have to add that my tune got viewed by Vince from Trifecta and he told me that it seemed already fine and that he couldnt do really better, the timing curve looked right except maybe bumping A LITTLE the timing like 1 to 2 degrees max. And he told me that this wasnt even sure, that I could see some knock if I do it.

The OTTP 2.5" catback is supposed to come soon, and Sean from OTTP told me that I could get an extra 10 to 15 whp with it.

So...?

Don't forget all to look at my youtube link of the 14.05s pass I did . You can see right there how much my clutch slip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVTiAkEDU_s
Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 AM
Banned

I really recommend getting an exhaust and methanol injection man. Don't be against meth, it's NOTHING like nitrous oxide man, it's really worth it.