2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

How safe is meth injection on the LSJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharkey
well the butt dyno is all i got, and ive got nothing to prove so im not going to the time and expense of dynoing my car (cause real men always race dyno sheets). i know there is a slight power gain with the meth, as i said, not much. i can do a 3rd gear pull with and without meth and on my interceptor i can see the difference in timing, without the meth it will pull 2 to 3 degrees above 5000rpm. im running a stage 2 tune with a 2.85" pulley, knock retard is a fact of life. a small shot of meth gets rid of the knock retard, and as we all know adding 3 degrees of timing can make a difference.

dont say it will have negative effects on every car that isnt tuned for it. not every car will respond the same. its been run without issues on many lsj's, and it does help when your pushing the limits of the stage 2 tune.
x 2 i ran my stage 2 on meth it was better. with a 73mm pulley and tune better still. My psykostevo tune is awesome it is true but meth for me 100% reliable on a dd and its crummy outside now so whats the beef?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
if a true meth tune is in a car and you run out of meth. you have serious issues.

one. the afr leanes out
two. you run into a huge issue with timing

if a car is truely properly tuned for it. you must NOT run out. period. end of story.

sharkey. your butt dyno isn't calibrated. you ARE slower with the untuned water injection kit than without it. you're not thinking of the fuel being added, and you are not compensating for it. sure it's taking care of the knock, thats no big deal at all. however with air fuels of 9.8 and richer, you lost power. big time.

i get away with what i do due to various things.

one. the mixture i run
two. the timing i run
three. the afr i command {not actual}

these three things yield big power increases.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47
sharkey. your butt dyno isn't calibrated. you ARE slower with the untuned water injection kit than without it. you're not thinking of the fuel being added, and you are not compensating for it. sure it's taking care of the knock, thats no big deal at all. however with air fuels of 9.8 and richer, you lost power. big time.
actualy with it im around 11.0, without im about 11.4. keep in mind i am running a lot smaller nozzle than recomended. the car doesnt go dead rich without the meth like it did with a stage 2 pulley.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
you are still not understanding.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well the butt dyno is all i got, and ive got nothing to prove so im not going to the time and expense of dynoing my car (cause real men always race dyno sheets). i know there is a slight power gain with the meth, as i said, not much. i can do a 3rd gear pull with and without meth and on my interceptor i can see the difference in timing, without the meth it will pull 2 to 3 degrees above 5000rpm. im running a stage 2 tune with a 2.85" pulley, knock retard is a fact of life. a small shot of meth gets rid of the knock retard, and as we all know adding 3 degrees of timing can make a difference.

dont say it will have negative effects on every car that isnt tuned for it. not every car will respond the same. its been run without issues on many lsj's, and it does help when your pushing the limits of the stage 2 tune.
You get an F for todays class, You must repeat the class to move on to 2nd grade.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 AM

ok guys, its not like im a rookie at this ****. ive built and tuned enough boosted stuff (ive been working on top alcohol dragsters and funny cars for the past 12 years) to know how it all works. i bought the meth kit from a friend for dirt cheap, put it in with the expectations of gaining absolutly nothing. i was amazed when i tried back to back pulls with and without it and felt a difference. im not saying i gained 20hp, heck, id be surprised if 5hp showed up on a dyno. had i feld zero difference or even lost power, id take the kit out and sell it.

you guys can say what you want about it, i know what my car does.

Last edited by Sharkey; 11-10-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 AM

ok guys, its not like im a rookie at this ****. ive built and tuned enough boosted stuff (ive been working on top alcohol dragsters and funny cars for the past 12 years) to know how it all works. i bought the meth kit from a friend for dirt cheap, put it in with the expectations of gaining absolutly nothing. i was amazed when i tried back to back pulls with and without it and felt a difference. im not saying i gained 20hp, heck, id be surprised if 5hp showed up on a dyno. had i feld zero difference or even lost power, id take the kit out and sell it.

you guys can say what you want about it, i know what my car does.

You Da' Man!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I got tuned for it I could tell the difference. While I don't think I got any more power, I still feel as if the car ran smoother under wot. It was most likely cause I was running a 2.8 with 42's and maxing out the injectors and the meth gave it the extra fuel it needed.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING
You Da' Man!
You are too!

I don't know why it is on this site more than any other you can never get a good answer from anyone. Someones always a hard ass, then another hard ass comes in arguing. Everyone thinks they know more then everyone else.

The only fact I've seen in this thread is that your butt dyno needs calibrated sharkey. The butt dyno is effected by the brain which is run on emotion and is a very powerful tool. You can fool yourself into believing all sorts of things. You running meth injection untuned and believing you are making more power is just like the guys with the 2.2s who filled up with race fuel and swear they got 20 more hp. You didn't, it's in your head.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM

as i said, i installed the kit expecting no gain whatsoever. ive been modding cars for a long time, i can admit when i do something and i have no gains. im not the guy doing some small mod that beleives he has huge gains. its not like im claiming 20hp gains, i did say it was a small gain.

no 2 cars are the same, nor do they respond the same. mine seems to work ok with meth untuned, others may not have that experiance.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

Originally Posted by Brenticus
assuming it's installed and handled by someone who knows what they're doing?
Have questions about water methanol injection give us a call directly at 801.447.2559 and we would be more then happy to go over and answer any questions you may have. At that time we can find out more information about your Cobalt and explain exactly what you can expect to gain from using a system.

Rodney
Old 11-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by AIS
Have questions about water methanol injection give us a call directly at 801.447.2559 and we would be more then happy to go over and answer any questions you may have. At that time we can find out more information about your Cobalt and explain exactly what you can expect to gain from using a system.

Rodney
I will be giving you call this spring. I will be looking to buy a fender mount kit and have heard many great things about you and your company!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by AIS

Rodney
thanks. i'll let you know.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

Originally Posted by sput
I will be giving you call this spring. I will be looking to buy a fender mount kit and have heard many great things about you and your company!
Sounds great. If you have any questions between now and then email me at rodney@alcoholinjectionsystems.com

Rodney

Originally Posted by Brenticus
thanks. i'll let you know.
Sure thing.

Last edited by AIS; 11-11-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost