2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Hub that didn't fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub that didn't fit

I bought a stage 2 hub from Nate that didn't fit a while back. Anyway, I had driven from Knoxville to Charlotte for the install with some other parts. Long story short, I drove for hours and got charged an extra 300 bucks still on my stock pulley because of the hub. I posted about it and it got deleted.

I've contacted Nate and it's been almost 3 weeks and I still haven't gotten a new hub. I don't know about you guys, but its something worth posting about it. If they delete, so be it. The truth is the truth is the truth.

I'm taking the hub to a machine shop tomorrow to verify the tolerances and I'll post up some pics.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you sure you know what you are doing? No one has ever had a problem before you with nate's hubs.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Doc

it's not a condom, it isn't supposed to slide on
Old 09-16-2008, 06:38 PM

It should be VERY hard to get on. Youll have to press it on for sure.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Doc

It's easier getting them on then taking them off. You certainly won't put it on by hand Wait, this isn't about condoms..??
Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM

We bent two puller, an Intense and a Pulley Boys. The guys doing it have done well over a dozen between the 2 of them including Nate's. A GM tech even tried and it bent his puller. So yeah, Ralliartist, pretty sure it was the hub.

Hey Doc, it was Steve and Jason of DSLSJA that tried ask them about it.

Before you guys go on and on about how dumb and stupid I am for not making it work. Even Nate has admitted he's had 1 that didn't fit, this would be 2. The support I'm getting is leaving a little to be desired.

Originally Posted by ralliartist
you sure you know what you are doing? No one has ever had a problem before you with nate's hubs.
Yeah, pretty sure I know what I'm doing. I mean it shouldn't take a person with masters in mechanical engineering to do it right? Oh wait, I have one of those and it didn't work. So maybe I am the moron. Maybe I should send my car to you and let you do it. So yeah, I have a problem, I didn't make it up. And I haven't gotten a new hub yet. Happy?

Last edited by nghisus; 09-16-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Doc

Do you still need a hub and pulley..?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM

I have a pulley, Nate's supposed to send me a hub. If someone has a hub, I can get a refund from Nate and just buy it off of them. I figured he'd just send me a new hub but its taking forever. I was going with a 2.9, the pulley fit on the hub, the hub however did not fit on the blower.

I might just get the machine shop at work to hone it and say to hell with it and have something I can lord over all the people who say I'm an idiot because Nate sent me a bad pulley.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Doc

I think I still have an intense hub and pulley.....although I don't think I have anything above a 2.8..I'll look.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm done helping you, dick.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Banned

hes not a dick...he was just proving you to be wrong...dont take it the wrong way man..everysones wrong sometimes and also...how did u help at all? you basically told him that he was stupid cuz noone has ever had a problem with a nates pulley....wow..totally one sided and not helpful at all..
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM

what? How did I call him stupid? I was just asking if he was sure he did everything right. I mean hell, obviously if you drive from charlotte all the way to knoxville to just get a pulley and some other minor bolt ons put on, you don't know what you are doing. Plus there is no threads or anything of anyone ever having a problem with nate's pullies.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by nghisus
We bent two puller, an Intense and a Pulley Boys. The guys doing it have done well over a dozen between the 2 of them including Nate's. A GM tech even tried and it bent his puller. So yeah, Ralliartist, pretty sure it was the hub.

Yeah, pretty sure I know what I'm doing. I mean it shouldn't take a person with masters in mechanical engineering to do it right? Oh wait, I have one of those and it didn't work. So maybe I am the moron. Maybe I should send my car to you and let you do it. So yeah, I have a problem, I didn't make it up. And I haven't gotten a new hub yet. Happy?
well that's proof enough

But I have to ask...why did you need help to get r done if you have an engineering degree?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 PM

I was the one putting the hub on and there was definitely a problem with this.

I've installed dozens of hubs without any problem yet this one, there was definitely a problem. As nghisus said, we broke two different pullers/installers. One was mine which was an intense puller. The other was a pulley boys. The pulley boys was a GM Techs tool and even he said that it should not have gone on.

As far as him driving to Charlotte from Knoxville, it was for more than just installing parts, we were also tuning.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 PM

what? How did I call him stupid? I was just asking if he was sure he did everything right. I mean hell, obviously if you drive from charlotte all the way to knoxville to just get a pulley and some other minor bolt ons put on, you don't know what you are doing. Plus there is no threads or anything of anyone ever having a problem with nate's pullies.
The moderators delete them. They delete my first thread on it because I didn't talk to Nate. Hell I wasn't even bashing him I was just telling the story.

I came to Charlotte with a bunch of parts because they had quoted me a very reasonable price for a tune and install. If these guys had already done it before and it saves me a few weekends I'm more then willing to chunk out a little cash.

The hub not fitting cost me a lot of time and effort and about 300 dollars in over run. Nate's not going to reimburse me for that is he? Nor am I getting reimbursed for having to drive back to Charlotte when I do get a new hub. Unless someone near Knoxville is willing to do it for free (I don't hear any volunteers) I have no other recourse. Nate still hasn't sent me a new hub and in light of my little adventure I think its alright to do a little posting.

I was using the engineering thing kind of as joke, I mean its true but just because I have my name with paper behind it doesn't mean I can touch things and magically make them work. I can't make time either, I figured one weekend with these guys versus 3 or 4 of mine trying to find time to do a dual pass + option B, let's be honest running those hoses right is time consuming. Then 3 or 4 more figuring out HP Tuners. That hub really did in my plans. Oh well.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM

well, I really do feel sorry for you. I'd be pissed too. I don't know what's up with the mods deleting threads either.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I really do feel sorry for you. I'd be pissed too. I don't know what's up with the mods deleting threads either.
Lets accept this guy had trouble, Nate makes great parts, and his new hub did not fit the s/c. The question i have , is how did the OEM pulley come off? Its hard to believe Nate could screw up, but not hard to believe that removing the OEM pulley could have been difficult, it ofter is; hard to believe that the s/c shaft could get screwed up in removal, but easier to believe than the possibility of Nate making a bad part.
Observations:
1. This forum is full of folks who screw things up and blame everyone but themselves
2. The best removal and install tool IMHO is a pro power steering pulley removal tool.(expensive)
3. I have Nate's parts they fit 100% also his install tool, it works fine (see #2) Pulleys are not easy to put on, and could make you think the pulley wont go on. Thats the way it should be.
4. Once you have vented on the forum, you still don't have your pulley fixed
5. Once you beat up Nate publicly, his willingness to help you would be lets say ZERO
6. Once Ralliartist calls you a dick, think about the reason he said that, and figure you are , well, done lol
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Do you have it backwards???

The inside is tapered... so it only fits on one way... but it makes a nice tight fit at the end...
Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 AM

I put the micrometer on it and the largest portion read .775 where the supercharger had scarred the hub on the inside. The smallest portion read .774. Nate sent me specs of .776 +0.002/-0.000.

So it was definitely too small. The stock pulley came off and went back on just as it should. I'm having the machine shop here take it out for me a bit.

Yes we put it on the right way, the pulley will only go on the hub a certain way and it won't fit on the wrong end.

It wasn't me who was doing it. If it was yeah we'd have issues. But I had a guy who's done over a dozen plus a GM Tech, so why don't you point that finger in a mirror and call yourself an ass. And guess what, it's been about 3 weeks so I think I have a gripe. And if you try reading a bit, I wasn't bashing Nate at all, I was just talking about his pulley and how I had problems with it. Most intelligent people would take this and say, "Hey I better check out my parts before I try an install, even if it is from a reputable dealer". But no, you're a real big man talking trash on the internet and you can make a real nice list. Kudos to you sir.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Are you talking to me nghisus?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
Lets accept this guy had trouble, Nate makes great parts, and his new hub did not fit the s/c. The question i have , is how did the OEM pulley come off? Its hard to believe Nate could screw up, but not hard to believe that removing the OEM pulley could have been difficult, it ofter is; hard to believe that the s/c shaft could get screwed up in removal, but easier to believe than the possibility of Nate making a bad part.
Observations:
1. This forum is full of folks who screw things up and blame everyone but themselves
2. The best removal and install tool IMHO is a pro power steering pulley removal tool.(expensive)
3. I have Nate's parts they fit 100% also his install tool, it works fine (see #2) Pulleys are not easy to put on, and could make you think the pulley wont go on. Thats the way it should be.
4. Once you have vented on the forum, you still don't have your pulley fixed
5. Once you beat up Nate publicly, his willingness to help you would be lets say ZERO
6. Once Ralliartist calls you a dick, think about the reason he said that, and figure you are , well, done lol
We used the correct tool to remove the stock pulley as well as to attempt to put Nate's hub on, and repress the stock pulley on. It was not your rent-a-tool from Advance or anything like this. The pullers had the backing plate to apply even pressure on both removing and installing.

There was no problem with removing the stock pulley or reinstalling it. There was a problem with putting Nate's hubs on. As you can see by the measurements, the hub was milled out too small. There was too great of a tolerance for it to fit.

As far as the back and forth...why not quit it, and try and help him out with getting a replacement hub from Nate
Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SCBLKRL
We used the correct tool to remove the stock pulley as well as to attempt to put Nate's hub on, and repress the stock pulley on. It was not your rent-a-tool from Advance or anything like this. The pullers had the backing plate to apply even pressure on both removing and installing.

There was no problem with removing the stock pulley or reinstalling it. There was a problem with putting Nate's hubs on. As you can see by the measurements, the hub was milled out too small. There was too great of a tolerance for it to fit.

As far as the back and forth...why not quit it, and try and help him out with getting a replacement hub from Nate
once you burn a supplier publicly why would he help you? it was best to talk to him directly with facts and measurements Nate is an honest guy. The way i see it you have burned him so why would he help you. And the more this goes on, and good guys like Ralliartist call you out on it, then you are stuck. I cant help you with Nate, its up to you to convince him that rubbishing him online was not your intention, even though you folks did so...i have had difficulty installing hubs without a bearing on the thrust side of the install tool, and best results I used a snap on electric impact gun on the tool head to drive the hub on. Just pressure with a large johnson bar did not work for me...and those tolerances you have quoted i am confident i could install that hub on an M62 supercharger...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm just the messenger in this since I was the helper to the situation. I am not bashing nate as I have heard all the same things, he provides quality parts...but there are times when things are not quite correct. In this instance this is what happened.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Shortstack, I was talking to you when I was referring to whether we had backwards or not, clarification. I wasn't bashing you.

I was talking to qwikredline about all the other stuff. Ralliartist didn't call me out, he started talking junk and now he kind of agrees with me. The reason why it is .775 is because we made that extra .001 trying to get it on in the first place. It's pretty much .774 all the way through.

I burned him online? Gimme a break, he's a grown ass man running a buisness. If I were him I'd be glad somebody told me about a negative experience. The problem is he said he would send me a new hub weeks ago. That still dosen't change the fact that I had cost over runs. The best part about this is the fact that your confidence and me having an improperly made hub are two different things. I'm sure you could make anything fit if you tried hard enough, but on a snout and a hub and 2 thousandths worth of clearance that takes a miracle. Last I checked Nate himself sells a pulley tool.

And lastly, I really didn't get on asking for any help. I was just documenting an install experience. Some people took that as a bash and that's their business. I have problems on here before and had plenty of real help, this hub thing has been touchy because it caused me more headache then you can imagine. So take your self righteousness and shove it qwikredline. I don't care if you had a direct line to God, I wasn't asking for your help with Nate or with the hub.

Quick Reply: Hub that didn't fit