2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Hurst Shifter...NEED HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hurst Shifter...NEED HELP PLZ

So im tryin to install the Hurst shifter and i cant pry the shifter cable off. I dont understand wat im supposed to do. I tryed to use a flathead screwdriver on top and wit a mini flathead one, i ended up pushing the plastic in so there is a lil dent in it. Can someone please help me ASAP because my car is jus sittin on my driveway and i cant use it.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:47 PM

reverse cable is on drivers side... ya just gotta pull (sideways) and the ball will come out of the receptile... I removed this one 1st.... same thing for the 1-5th linkage.... which is the linkage below the shifter.

hopes this helps... I did mine like a week ago and have already forgotten

I might have held the linkage in place with a large (very large) screwdriver
Old 05-06-2007, 03:36 PM

I use a big screwdriver wedged it inby the pivot ball and turned it it was f$%ken tight then lubed it and used plyers to squeeze it back on the hurst.I had to adjust the cable on the left and shave part of the reverse lock out down for it to work.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:07 PM

The ball is supposed to come out? I thought jus the cables pop out. I wasnt supposed to take off the four t20 screws yet was i? And did you follow the instructions and leave it in fourth gear? Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
watching this closely as my hurst shifter is on the way.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
The ball is supposed to come out? I thought jus the cables pop out. I wasnt supposed to take off the four t20 screws yet was i? And did you follow the instructions and leave it in fourth gear? Thanks for all the help so far.
its easier to pop all the linkage w/ the 4 screws still in place!

and yes the instructions SUCK
Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by suburbanrobot
its easier to pop all the linkage w/ the 4 screws still in place!

and yes the instructions SUCK
I think someone should make a how to. Theres one for the b&m
Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM

the ball stays with the shifter. did you pop the top off of the centre consol it just clipped on.way more room if you do.If you want leave the cable ends on the shifter and take the whole thing out of the car just unclip them and slide the cables out.

When you put the new shifter together make sure you put the black cover on before you put the pivot ball and c clip on the hurst shifter.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM

Undo the 4 torx screws first, its easier to see how it comes apart. This is what I did and its alot easier than tryin to pry it apart when you cant see how it's attached.

Also when you go to pop the Hurst shifter back into the lower socket, put something under the clip, I used my linemans pliers, line up the ball and socket and give it a whack down with your hand. Do this before putting the torx screws back in.

And I agree the instructions SUCK
Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM

The grey part is a clip, if you can release it you are able to take it out of the assembly with the stock shifter. It is MUCH EASIER to get it off of the stock ball this way.

On the part of the grey clip toward the front of the car, reach under it and unclip the clip that is securing it down. when you get this loose, you will be able to move the grey part over the shifter linkage ... be sure to mark with a marker where it lines up before you unclip it... Be careful, that son of a bitch can break, and if it does you have to buy and entire shift assembly from GM to get the clips. Thats $200+

If this explanation sucks ass, let me know and I will try and clarify.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Ok so far I got both cable lines disconnected. Was I supposed to take out the piece thats attatched to the drivers side cable (i think its the crossover lever)? I took both the ball and the crossover lever off. Now im havin a problem with the part you have to thread lock the pivot ball. Was there supposed to be a screw that came with the shifter? I dont have one...

And i got zipties that are not long enough to fit inside the boot. Gotta get more today.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Yeah you should have gotten a little screw that goes into the pivot ball. If you didnt you might be able to find one that works from home depot or something. Just have to make sure that whatever you put in there, it doesnt come out of the pivot ball at all.

You should only need to take the grey clip off, the white one will only need to be adjusted, not removed.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the really quick answer. Now i jus wanna know wat kinda screw i gotta get. How much should it poke out through the middle of the pivot ball? The 1/4 and 1/2 one i found at home depot pokes out jus a lil bit. Also what about the top of the screw? I found a flat head one but it pokes out a lot. Will that get in the way? What kind did you get from hurst?

Last edited by PolishPauL; 05-09-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 PM

The one that comes with the shifter, is a set screw.

What ever you use make sure to use some loctite on it.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 PM

It cant poke out at all
The one I got from hurst uses an allen wrench to get driven down. It sits right under the pivot ball. If it is sticking out, it will snag on the part the pivot ball pivots on.
Give Hurst a call, tell them you are missing that, and see if they can give you a screw type, or if they can send you one. Also, make sure you have the tube of loctite, you'll need it when you do get the correct screw.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks again johnboy. One more question. How far does the hurst one go down? Is it perfectly flat with the hole?

Also for the part you use the allen wrench, how far does that poke out cuz mine sits up pretty high and is pretty wide.

I wanna get this done by tomorrow mornin cuz my car has been sittin there since friday and im sick of the crappy car iv been usin. I called Hurst and left a message so hopefully theyll get back to me soon.

Last edited by PolishPauL; 05-09-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM

My Hurst is on the way so I am definitely watching this.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks again johnboy. One more question. How far does the hurst one go down? Is it perfectly flat with the hole?

Also for the part you use the allen wrench, how far does that poke out cuz mine sits up pretty high and is pretty wide.

I wanna get this done by tomorrow mornin cuz my car has been sittin there since friday and im sick of the crappy car iv been usin. I called Hurst and left a message so hopefully theyll get back to me soon.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say the 'hurst one'... are you talking about the set screw? If thats the case, then mine is a little under the surface of the pivot ball. The set screw is the part you use the allen wrench on.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say the 'hurst one'... are you talking about the set screw? If thats the case, then mine is a little under the surface of the pivot ball. The set screw is the part you use the allen wrench on.
The hurst shifter is supposed to come wit a set screw right? Im talkin bout the one that goes into the pivot ball.

Where you use the allen wrench, how big is that part? I found a small screw that will fit but its diameter is pretty big. Its for a flathead and it pokes up. Does that matter?

Also for the threaded piece, how far does that go down in the middle? Can you see it poke out at all or is it flush?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

The hurst shifter is supposed to come wit a set screw right? Im talkin bout the one that goes into the pivot ball.

Where you use the allen wrench, how big is that part? I found a small screw that will fit but its diameter is pretty big. Its for a flathead and it pokes up. Does that matter?

Also for the threaded piece, how far does that go down in the middle? Can you see it poke out at all or is it flush?
Where you use the allen wrench (for the set screw in the pivot ball) the screw should not stick out at all.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
Where you use the allen wrench (for the set screw in the pivot ball) the screw should not stick out at all.
Yea the guy from hurst told me that. I dont think any stores sell screws like that. The guy said he sent me two and i might need both or somethin. Il see what happens. My car has been sittin on my driveway since last Friday and its pretty frustrating. Hopefully i get the screws soon since they were mailed out like 8 hours ago. Thanks for all the help johnboy
Old 05-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Yeah no problem, I hope you can get it put together, its a really nice shifter
Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM

So i got two tiny screws in the mail. Am i supposed to use both? How far down should i screw them? Im guessin until their flush with the top.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Yah, it should go flush with the top of the ball.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Screw it down as tight as you can. You should only need to use one. You want it tight (remember to use loctitie!!) because this is what keeps your shifter from spinning around inside the pivot ball

Quick Reply: Hurst Shifter...NEED HELP PLZ