2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Hurst Shifter...NEED HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldnt access that site johnboy.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
hmmm
are alot of people having trouble setting up the hurst shifter to find 5th properly?

Should I maybe do up a howto on this?
PLEASE i'm gonna be installing mine soon, and that is the only part i'm worried about!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:10 PM

I would say we need a how-to on this as well.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very disapointed in this shifter. I installed mine tonight. I didn't have any trouble with the cables etc. My disapointment stems from the set screw set up for the pivit ball. I could not get my balt to go into reverse. The reverse lockout notch is cut too thinly (not enough gap). I had to shave some of the gate to get it to go into reverse. With that being that tight my shifter now has the rotational play.
I pulled the damn thing back out and I can see that the set screw collapsed. Now I can only get the allen wrench in a tiny bit so there is a good possibility It will round the allen hex when it comes out.
I'm going to have to make this allen screw set up a little more reliable.
Not trying to discourage anyone from buying this shifter (it feels great when shifting and much quicker/smoother). However, the set screw would have worked better if were engineered with a pointed tip and a dimple in the shaft to keep it all centered. Better yet, a spline would be better.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm im not sure.
I had no problem with the reverse lockout once i got the cables adjusted right.

i do think there should be a better way to stop rotation though....an overtightened screw against the "machined" flat part seems a little bit ancient.
but so far it seems to have worked well for me. knock on wood
Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
I'm very disapointed in this shifter. I installed mine tonight. I didn't have any trouble with the cables etc. My disapointment stems from the set screw set up for the pivit ball. I could not get my balt to go into reverse. The reverse lockout notch is cut too thinly (not enough gap). I had to shave some of the gate to get it to go into reverse. With that being that tight my shifter now has the rotational play.
I pulled the damn thing back out and I can see that the set screw collapsed. Now I can only get the allen wrench in a tiny bit so there is a good possibility It will round the allen hex when it comes out.
I'm going to have to make this allen screw set up a little more reliable.
Not trying to discourage anyone from buying this shifter (it feels great when shifting and much quicker/smoother). However, the set screw would have worked better if were engineered with a pointed tip and a dimple in the shaft to keep it all centered. Better yet, a spline would be better.
I never got my set screw and they sent me two small silver replacement ones. They are like half the size of the normal one but it has more of a pointed tip. I dont need to use both do i? Should i be worried how small they are?

And my shift into 5th is nice and close and easy but its not like stock where you have to move all the way to the right. Reverse goes all the way to the right but 5th doesnt. Is it supposed to be like that or can you fix it?
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 AM

You just have to play with the adjustments, move the white clip up some, see where it shifts... then move it back, so on so on
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 PM

Ahhh....much better. I had to drill the 1/4" set screw out. I went to a store and bought two other set screws. One a 5/16 x 18 and a 3/8 x 15. I decided to go with a larger set screw either way.
After looking at how the pivot ball set screw hole aligns with the set screw detent on the shift lever shaft; I opted for the 5/16 x 18 set screw. So I drilled and tapped the pivot ball for the larger set screw. That definately took care of the shifter rotating.
The 1/4 set screw that comes with the kit is really not adequate. The screw's very small tip cannot provide enough torque to keep the pivot ball from moving and causing the shifter to rotate. Ideally, the 3/8 provides the best contact to the set screw detent on the shaft.
I believe if you don't have a problem now, you will in the future. That little set screw is expected to do alot considering how many times the pivot ball is called on to perform a shift.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 AM

Anybody got pics yet of this adjustment?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
Ahhh....much better. I had to drill the 1/4" set screw out. I went to a store and bought two other set screws. One a 5/16 x 18 and a 3/8 x 15. I decided to go with a larger set screw either way.
After looking at how the pivot ball set screw hole aligns with the set screw detent on the shift lever shaft; I opted for the 5/16 x 18 set screw. So I drilled and tapped the pivot ball for the larger set screw. That definately took care of the shifter rotating.
The 1/4 set screw that comes with the kit is really not adequate. The screw's very small tip cannot provide enough torque to keep the pivot ball from moving and causing the shifter to rotate. Ideally, the 3/8 provides the best contact to the set screw detent on the shaft.
I believe if you don't have a problem now, you will in the future. That little set screw is expected to do alot considering how many times the pivot ball is called on to perform a shift.
I agree with you on the set screw deal and when I got mine the package was open and the set screw was clearly used and about 75% stripped. But I put it in anyways a nd got it somewhat tight and then later that night wouldnt you know, the set screw failed.I had ti get a bolt extractor kit just to get it back out. Went to the hardware store and bought a new one except without the point on it and threadlocked it and tightened down and that is a night and day diffrence. No movement what so ever. My suggestion to anyone buying the hurst is to forget about the stock set screw right away and before you tear everything apart, got to the hardware store and get you a set screw or two just in case and put them in. They were only 17 cents a piece for mine and they are the same threading as the stocker but way better.Why not do it right the first time and save yourself alot of heartache in the future. Because that stock set screw will fail and I firmly beleive that. Maybe not right off the bat but it will happen. Sorry J.M.F.O
Old 05-21-2007, 02:52 PM

for what its worth, I have the set screw that came with mine and its working fine. I used loctite, and mine wasnt stripped out when i got it though, I tightened it down till just before it started to strip out... But I do agree, the set screw is kind of puny, and probably needs to be bigger. I have had my shifter in for a while and it hasnt come loose yet (knocks on wood)
Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 PM

For the folks that have the factory set screw installed with no problems thus far, more power to you and good luck.

After working on UPS package cars for several years, I've seen what abuse they take and the pro-active aproach you have to take to make sure they don't break down on road. They might as well be Nextell Cup Cars.

Based on my 26 years experience I'd say the set screw that comes with the shifter will eventually fail. Do yourself a favor and put something better in when you install it.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:52 AM

Does it matter how long the screw is? The replacement set screw they sent me was half as long as the stock one but the tip was pointed but still flat.