2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

I need 3 things for my ss/sc

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need 3 things for my ss/sc

1. A new flywheel clutch combo. I'm sorry, but both of the afore mentioned stock units suck. The engine revs down so damn SLOOOW, makes daily driving a pain in the butt because I shift faster then the rpms drop... in addition to the parasitic loss obviously... And my car barely chirps second... its rather dissapointing. If I am go too heavy in the gas powershifting 1-2 it slips down instead of just grabing. Very disapointing.

Is there an aftermarket FW/clutch combo available yet? If not just a clutch would do..

2. The gear ratios anger me greatly. Part of the problem with the 2nd gear chirpage is the fact its dropping down to 3750-4000 rpms. I hate that... I could deal with the long 2nd and 3rd if 1st wasn't so damn aggressive. I know they dont exsist yet, but I want a new final drive, or entire gearset.

3. DAMN RETARDED COMPUTER! Not only do you **** me to 12.5psi, you cut my fuel off at my peak f*cking horsepower!!! I NEED someway of raising the redline to a solid 7200-7500. If the devil happens to be reading this post, I'll go ahead and sign over my soul now, k tnx.
Bye
Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

changing the final drive would send the entire tranny way out of wack. chevy screwed the pooch when they made gearing with such a huge change between 1st and 2nd. maybe if first was a little lower it would be perfect, but when you switch gears and 1-2 shift runs th eengine down around 1100rpm, that's just too damn much
Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 PM

If the devil happens to be reading this post, I'll go ahead and sign over my soul now, k tnx.
Bye

We can make arrangements....
Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 PM

Changing the final drive ratio will not throw the transmission out of wack. Grand Prix owners do it with the 4t65e. GTP owners go from 2.89 to 3.29 or 3.69. GP GTs came with 3.29s stock and the GTPs with 2.89, on basically the same transmission (minus the diff).
Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StupidSlowCRX
1. A new flywheel clutch combo. I'm sorry, but both of the afore mentioned stock units suck. The engine revs down so damn SLOOOW, makes daily driving a pain in the butt because I shift faster then the rpms drop... in addition to the parasitic loss obviously... And my car barely chirps second... its rather dissapointing. If I am go too heavy in the gas powershifting 1-2 it slips down instead of just grabing. Very disapointing.

Is there an aftermarket FW/clutch combo available yet? If not just a clutch would do..

2. The gear ratios anger me greatly. Part of the problem with the 2nd gear chirpage is the fact its dropping down to 3750-4000 rpms. I hate that... I could deal with the long 2nd and 3rd if 1st wasn't so damn aggressive. I know they dont exsist yet, but I want a new final drive, or entire gearset.

3. DAMN RETARDED COMPUTER! Not only do you **** me to 12.5psi, you cut my fuel off at my peak f*cking horsepower!!! I NEED someway of raising the redline to a solid 7200-7500. If the devil happens to be reading this post, I'll go ahead and sign over my soul now, k tnx.
Bye
lol

The pulley on he SC right now is only good for 12.5 PSI. The computer will tell the bypass valve to open at 12.5 with a smaller pulley though. So that will have to be modified when smaller pullies are eventually installed. However, don't expect 20psi from this SC. It's pulley specific, it's not a turbo.

Moving the rev-limiter to 7500 is not a real option unless you like destroying the SC/engine. Engineers just don't guess when to limit the rpm's. The SC is sensitive in high rpm's in that it will create more heat and potentially overboost with a smaller pulley. Also if it is cranking at 7500 it will be pumping in major boost which will require 93+ oct fuel full time and plugs with a colder range to avoid retarding the ignition timing and detonation. You will also need a new fuel deivery system to supply enough fuel to keep with the SC dumping that much boost into the intake manifold.

The best option is to wait for thoes hand heald tuners that plug into your diagnostic port. Thoes will safely tune your car i.e: Rev limiter, a/f ratio..etc

Instead of moving back the limiter, you could always put on larger wheels. Perhaps 19"s.

^ This is potentially major $$$, but if you can afford it.. then go for it
Old 07-07-2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
lol

The pulley on he SC right now is only good for 12.5 PSI. The computer will tell the bypass valve to open at 12.5 with a smaller pulley though. So that will have to be modified when smaller pullies are eventually installed. However, don't expect 20psi from this SC. It's pulley specific, it's not a turbo.

Moving the rev-limiter to 7500 is not a real option unless you like destroying the SC/engine. Engineers just don't guess when to limit the rpm's. The SC is sensitive in high rpm's in that it will create more heat and potentially overboost with a smaller pulley. Also if it is cranking at 7500 it will be pumping in major boost which will require 93+ oct fuel full time and plugs with a colder range to avoid retarding the ignition timing and detonation. You will also need a new fuel deivery system to supply enough fuel to keep with the SC dumping that much boost into the intake manifold.

The best option is to wait for thoes hand heald tuners that plug into your diagnostic port. Thoes will safely tune your car i.e: Rev limiter, a/f ratio..etc

Instead of moving back the limiter, you could always put on larger wheels. Perhaps 19"s.

^ This is potentially major $$$, but if you can afford it.. then go for it
I remember reading an article right before the Redline came out about the questionable rev limiter. The GM techs didnt have enough time to do enough research on whether it could be revved higher or not. They said they thought it could but wanted to err on the side of safety. Also, even though he is revving higher, he will not be pushing more psi the higher he revs. The roots style sc pushes the same psi at every given rpm. Its not like a centrifigul sc where psi is based on rpm. The limiting factor i could see is the valve springs. anyone know what they are rated at?

Also, those hand held tuners are crap. Just a few yes or no questions and nothing you can do custom for your car. If i were you guys, i would contact DHP. They are the leaders in PCMs for the Grand Prixs and are always expanding to other cars in the GM line. They have a laptop based tuner that actually writes over the PCM and allows any and every thing in the pcm to be changed. Their website is www.digitalhorsepowerinc.com . Send them a few emails like you did with TOGs and im sure they will step up to the plate.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:32 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by stuffy236
I remember reading an article right before the Redline came out about the questionable rev limiter. The GM techs didnt have enough time to do enough research on whether it could be revved higher or not. They said they thought it could but wanted to err on the side of safety. Also, even though he is revving higher, he will not be pushing more psi the higher he revs. The roots style sc pushes the same psi at every given rpm. Its not like a centrifigul sc where psi is based on rpm. The limiting factor i could see is the valve springs. anyone know what they are rated at?

Also, those hand held tuners are crap. Just a few yes or no questions and nothing you can do custom for your car. If i were you guys, i would contact DHP. They are the leaders in PCMs for the Grand Prixs and are always expanding to other cars in the GM line. They have a laptop based tuner that actually writes over the PCM and allows any and every thing in the pcm to be changed. Their website is www.digitalhorsepowerinc.com . Send them a few emails like you did with TOGs and im sure they will step up to the plate.
A SC's boost is limited to the rpm of the engine, it will only crank as fast at the engine will let it. For example: it won't boost 12psi at 3k.

I've never used any of the tuners but I'd give it a try. I don't plan on doing much to my car until the aftermarket for the Cobalt is pretty reliable.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:50 PM

i wouldnt take it all the way up to 7500 but i was planning on taking off the rev limiter and letting mine go up to 7K..i heard that when the fuel is cut off that the engine is still making power so you might be able to get more horses from raising the RPM range to 7K
Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stuffy236
Changing the final drive ratio will not throw the transmission out of wack. Grand Prix owners do it with the 4t65e. GTP owners go from 2.89 to 3.29 or 3.69. GP GTs came with 3.29s stock and the GTPs with 2.89, on basically the same transmission (minus the diff).

i guess i need to re-word my statement... i was talking about that lowering the final drive would make it worse because of the jump from 1st-2nd is so big. first gear needs to be tweaked, not the final drive. when you're in second gear and roughly at 1600 rpm for 20mph, and first hits around 2800rpm at that point, it doesn't take a genious to see the 1-2 gears are too far apart

nice would be a 1k drop maximum. would like to see along the lines of a 900~rpm difference in 1-2
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
i guess i need to re-word my statement... i was talking about that lowering the final drive would make it worse because of the jump from 1st-2nd is so big. first gear needs to be tweaked, not the final drive. when you're in second gear and roughly at 1600 rpm for 20mph, and first hits around 2800rpm at that point, it doesn't take a genious to see the 1-2 gears are too far apart

nice would be a 1k drop maximum. would like to see along the lines of a 900~rpm difference in 1-2
Under normal driving, I need to take 1st to around 3500 before my upshift to second or it'll be a jerky transition due to low rpm's.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Doesn't the SS have a lightweight flywheel?

I have absolutly no complaints about my clutch. But I don't beat the **** out of mine either which is most likely to blame for the slippage.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by codyss
Doesn't the SS have a lightweight flywheel?

I have absolutly no complaints about my clutch. But I don't beat the **** out of mine either which is most likely to blame for the slippage.

yeah, as much lashback as i feel through the car, i would have to say yes. my cougar never felt like this.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:41 PM

The reason the rev's take so long to drop between shifts is because of the computer. It's an emissions thing, the electric throttle holds the engine RPMs up when you shift, which makes it difficult to make nice smooth, fast shifts.. most modern cars have that, and I've read complaints about this emissions aid in car magazines about honda's and other vehicles. Exactly how leaving the throttle open slightly between shifts aids in emissions (or fuel economy?) I don't know.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

So what is a different flywheel going to do for you. It will still be holding RPMs.