2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Intense Stage 5

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intense Stage 5

Hey guys, i apologize if this has been asked before, I did do a search and didn't get any topics that looked similar so here goes:

I was on Intense's site looking at the Stage 5 dyno... which was about 270 whp. I swear I remember Rob's SS making those same numbers with the 2.8" pulley and no ported blower, and also way less done so far as tuning goes (only MAFT at the time if i'm not mistaken). So, and I guess this is directed at Rob mostly, unless others know... Was that dyno with JUST stage 5, and nothing else done, for instance, no intake, no header/exhaust? Whats the deal? I would have figured to see closer to 300whp out of a stage 5 when Rob did 270 or so on the Stage 3...
Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyJay
Hey guys, i apologize if this has been asked before, I did do a search and didn't get any topics that looked similar so here goes:

I was on Intense's site looking at the Stage 5 dyno... which was about 270 whp. I swear I remember Rob's SS making those same numbers with the 2.8" pulley and no ported blower, and also way less done so far as tuning goes (only MAFT at the time if i'm not mistaken). So, and I guess this is directed at Rob mostly, unless others know... Was that dyno with JUST stage 5, and nothing else done, for instance, no intake, no header/exhaust? Whats the deal? I would have figured to see closer to 300whp out of a stage 5 when Rob did 270 or so on the Stage 3...
I witnessed Robs car hit 277 whp. He had exhaust and an extremely small pulley (can't remember what size... 2.4" maybe?). I do know it, was so small he had to have his supercharger machined down to get the pulley on. He had the stock airbox with the drop in K&N. Other than that, stage 3 with some good tuning on the MAF-T..... You could always PM Rob and ask him. He is a helluva nice guy!!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:27 PM

Remember its not always about horsepower.....Rob may have put down 270 or so with a 2.8 but his torque was nowhere near the 270 of the stage 5 kit, until he out on the 2.5" pulley.

I am pretty sure all of Intense's numbers are based off otherwise stock cars.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by retrop
Remember its not always about horsepower.....Rob may have put down 270 or so with a 2.8 but his torque was nowhere near the 270 of the stage 5 kit, until he out on the 2.5" pulley.

Yeah, you got it. The torque difference with a 2.5 is huge. The car feels completely different.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by retrop

i've got a worked 1.8T beetle so believe me I know all about the value of torque... I'm just wondering why the hp wasn't higher with a smaller pulley AND a ported blower... it just doesn't add up unless that was on a car with stock exhaust/cat/intake.. in which case 270 would be pretty damn impressive.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:03 AM

haha Look at you stiring the pot. Just leave it be people have there better kits now might as well just leave it alone. this ain't the .org theres even more bandwagon jumping on this forum. careful people get defensive quick here.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JerseyJay
i've got a worked 1.8T beetle so believe me I know all about the value of torque... I'm just wondering why the hp wasn't higher with a smaller pulley AND a ported blower... it just doesn't add up unless that was on a car with stock exhaust/cat/intake.. in which case 270 would be pretty damn impressive.

1.8t has nothing in common with a s/c 2.0L cept 4 cylinders

Car had stock airbox, no cat, corsa touring NO PORTED BLOWER...I was there for the runs those day and actually dynoed 1whp more than rob that day but i was 17ftlb down from him.

The blower has a point of diminishing returns...after 2.7 we keep hp but the tq goes up with each size smaller...makes more boost in the lower rpm's so the tq curve bumps up but in compensating for the higher blower output temps and boost we most times have to pull some top end timing out...we are kinda out of this blowers efficiency range...kinda like overspinning the stock turbo on ur 1.8t...ya ull have more boost faster but itll be more heated

Dan
Old 06-26-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by djt81185

Car had stock airbox, no cat, corsa touring NO PORTED BLOWER...I was there for the runs those day and actually dynoed 1whp more than rob that day but i was 17ftlb down from him.

The blower has a point of diminishing returns...after 2.7 we keep hp but the tq goes up with each size smaller...makes more boost in the lower rpm's so the tq curve bumps up but in compensating for the higher blower output temps and boost we most times have to pull some top end timing out...we are kinda out of this blowers efficiency range...kinda like overspinning the stock turbo on ur 1.8t...ya ull have more boost faster but itll be more heated

Dan
HAHAHAHHA "Paranoid tunning" that **** is priceless bro. I think I was a member and didn't even know it.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:15 PM

intenses dyno should be just the kit and no other bolt-ons. also dynos can differ. intense looks like a dynojet. if this rob guy hit 277 and it was on a dynapack, then that explains it. 277on pack would be about 250 on a jet.

also its about the curve, not peak numbers. im sure a ported blower is going to give better midrange gains and a more linear band, even if peak is the same.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 PM

it was a dynojet
Old 06-26-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djt81185

Dan

very well said dan!

the tuneing is become a more and more key part on these cars with the ever decreaseing puly size's.

untill we can get a blower swap, a more eff heat exchanger or something along thouse lines to increase our over all eff numbers. we are geting very very close if not at the limit of this blower.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:16 PM

The next step would be to add water injection. Lower SC intake air temps = less knock = more timing........
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u guys are so smart i know nothing about superchargers and timing and stuff.lol
Old 06-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Didn't Rob or Victory Red stick in a second exchanger in serial with the stock and talk about adding a reserve coolant tank for their heat exchanger as well? Believe it was Rob.

Going that route would help drop your intake temps, allowing you to use the boost more efficently at higher RPMs. Unless I'm mistaken, it wouldn't really up your peak torque a whole lot, but would help it stay strong in the higher rpms, thoughs helping out peak ponies.

Rob or someone else correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN
Didn't Rob or Victory Red stick in a second exchanger in serial with the stock and talk about adding a reserve coolant tank for their heat exchanger as well? Believe it was Rob.

Going that route would help drop your intake temps, allowing you to use the boost more efficently at higher RPMs. Unless I'm mistaken, it wouldn't really up your peak torque a whole lot, but would help it stay strong in the higher rpms, thoughs helping out peak ponies.

Rob or someone else correct me if I'm wrong here.

Correct, what you can do for the coolant resivor is buy thr stock coolant tank, flip it backwards, and mount it to the holes on the passenger side, and run the hoses.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:14 AM

well, i did what I should have done in the first place and just emailed scott from intense directly. Here was his response (and a next day, first thing in the morning one at that):

Jason:

<<I was just wondering if the dyno done on the stage 5 package and posted on your site was on an otherwise stock SS- in other words, was stage 5 the only modification done? No intake, header, or exhaust?>>

Yes, that's correct.

<<I'm curious only because I remember Rob making 277 hp without the ported blower and ECU tuning a while back. Which is why I was confused to see that stage 5 was only making 270 whp.>>

We rate our kits conservatively. We prefer to always underpromise and overdeliver.

Hope this makes sense.

Scott

And for the record, I know that numbers aren't everything, but when you're shopping around for kits its at least something to go by.. At least Intense does actually dyno their kits and then put the dyno up for scrutiny which is WAY more than what a lot of companies out there do. It was just that I had seen Rob's dyno, and figured it had been done on Intense's own dyno, so why would the numbers be so different between the two considering the level of modification? It would be one thing if it was the two cars with the exact same mods making 7 hp more or less, obviously weather or mileage/break-in could effect that easily, but it was that Stage 5 has got quite a bit more than what Rob had and made less hp. But now I guess we have a clearer answer.

And while this is at the limits of the blower, there are still probably gains to be had through a ported head, cams, and other small tricks, so in reality, not at all bad for a supercharged 4 banger to be near 300 hp on the original blower. I'm slowly becoming more and more convinced to buy an SS (the reason why I'm on here now even though I don't own one)... Of course now there's the debate on whether to wait for the turbo version
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KnightRider7900
intenses dyno should be just the kit and no other bolt-ons. also dynos can differ. intense looks like a dynojet. if this rob guy hit 277 and it was on a dynapack, then that explains it. 277on pack would be about 250 on a jet.

also its about the curve, not peak numbers. im sure a ported blower is going to give better midrange gains and a more linear band, even if peak is the same.
when are we gonna run?