2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

J-Body Performance Header

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeing as how it says it will work on the 2.4 does it fit the 2.2 as well
Old 07-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowLT
Seeing as how it says it will work on the 2.4 does it fit the 2.2 as well
as far as i know the port sizes and bolt pattern are the same on all models so it should fit. But to be sure research it further on the board or send them an e-mail.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:26 AM
JBP
Banned

It's great to see someone got the GP off to a running start. If there's any questions about our header, let us know. It's a radical design, so there's bound to be confusion and questions.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:35 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Seeing as there is a photo of this on the website I will now post these pics. You know these headers will fit perfectly because the flanges were designed by using my block on the stand allowing for exact measurements. The first time I am sure that any company has done this and not just using a engine still in the car.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:37 PM

JBP,

What is the purpose of the curled tubing design. It looks much different then a regular header (looks alot like a turbo header). What benefits come with your design over a conventional looking header?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:48 PM

That's a good looking header, however I'm STILL WAITING for a nicely built LONG TUBE header. Most of the shorty headers I've seen (with the exception on this one) don't look like they'll flow much more than my GMPP manifold! Any plans to have a long tube race header?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Most of the shorty headers I've seen (with the exception on this one) don't look like they'll flow much more than my GMPP manifold! Any plans to have a long tube race header?

appearently you haven't seen ANY of these shorty headers in person, sitting next to the manifold. that gmpp one only flows 30cfm more, which is nothing comapred to what either the tog, the ebay one (the guy from the redline forums) the vibrant or any others.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
appearently you haven't seen ANY of these shorty headers in person, sitting next to the manifold. that gmpp one only flows 30cfm more, which is nothing comapred to what either the tog, the ebay one (the guy from the redline forums) the vibrant or any others.

So, since you seem to know, how much more CFM do these shorty's flow than a stock manifold? Also, you missed my point. My point is, there isn't a header out there yet that's worth my money to switch from the GMPP manfiold to. If you've seen the GMPP manifold in person, you'd see my point. It's not worth $350+ to gain ~5hp by going to a shorty.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

My understanding with an exhaust header is that equal length is better than a shorty. As well my understanding is that the important part is the cumalitive effect that certain mods have. Obviously with more air in, you need faster exit speed so bigger\better flowing tubes are important. When I was using the TOG shorty I felt an improvement but I was taught to look at the whole picture not just one component at a time. I am sure the more learned people on this site can expand upon that.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:30 PM
JBP
Banned

Not a shorty header....

First and foremost: We do not want to market our header as a typical "shorty" header, because it is nothing of the sort.

Continuing, our header design is the product of three constants.

1) Space limitation
2) Tube length and design
3) Stock compatibility and ease of installation

1) This is the limitation in space emposed by the firewall, water pump, water feed, thermostat and cylinder head. We incorporated an optimal length which was first estimated by hand mathematically and then computer modeled by Reza Manni (Laser scientist) and reproduced by myself (Mev), in to the tack welded piece you saw on the previous page. The design of a header is much like that of a pressure tube, in which you have a time limit from when the exhaust gases and flowing and not flowing. Without getting to complex, we made a header length that is optimal for the design that incorporates constants 1 and 3.

2) Tube length is computer modeled carefully with data from both engine flow, timing, and the appropriate runner length, in this case which ranges from about 16.55-17.74" long. Yes, that is the approximate length of the primaries. This number provides us with a base range that will assist us in the header design. We have one primary that is longer than the rest which is to assist in a technique in which we found during modeling to enhance the vaccuum effect of the header in the high RPM range. We've spent a lot of money on this project and forsee that the header will out perform even long tube headers.

3) Once again, the whole reason for having such an interesting looking piece is because of space constraints to achieve the primary length and a stock bolt-on compatibility. Customers questioned would like to have a header that bolts into the stock location. It makes it easier for installation and compatibility for future exhaust modifications.

I'm eagerly awaiting dyno testing on my own cobalt ss. Just have to finish a few final touches.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:13 PM

I'm anxious to see the results. Also, what about a downpipe? Will there be a 3" downpipe to connect the header to the cat-back?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
If you've seen the GMPP manifold in person, you'd see my point. It's not worth $350+ to gain ~5hp by going to a shorty.

sure it is, because you will be limited by the small gains the gmpp one will allow for. an extra 30cfm isn't much room when you start adding parts. going strictly by airflow means, any one of the shorty headers ou tthere will allow for a massive improvment over the small gains a gmpp can provide for the little it helps out with, when you start building your motor.

and besides.. the ebay header is only like $200, so it's cheaper than most places sell the gmpp manifold for
Old 07-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
sure it is, because you will be limited by the small gains the gmpp one will allow for. an extra 30cfm isn't much room when you start adding parts. going strictly by airflow means, any one of the shorty headers ou tthere will allow for a massive improvment over the small gains a gmpp can provide for the little it helps out with, when you start building your motor.

and besides.. the ebay header is only like $200, so it's cheaper than most places sell the gmpp manifold for
The shorty headers available are not going to outflow the GMPP manifold enough to be worth any money. 30cfm helps alot more than you think on a 2.0 motor. The only header worth going to for people who have a GMPP is a long tube race header that's designed for heavily modified cars. I talked to someone at Corsa personally, and the reason they don't make 3" exhaust is because these small 2.0 motors don't move as much air as people think.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:43 PM

man i wish this header was more affrodable to me. you look at it and say WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING DOING
Old 07-10-2006, 06:52 PM

I would be very interested in a group buy, we should do this more often. I'm in. O yea, does this void the warn? If not I have the cash now! Lets do it!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM

So the reason the tubes are all twisted and what not is so that all the tubes are the same length right?

I really dont have the money to buy the header though but im really stoked.

Last edited by CobaltSS313; 07-10-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:09 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
So the reason the tubes are all twisted and what not is so that all the tubes are the same length right?

I really dont have the moneytobuy the header though but im really stoked.
That is correct.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
That is correct.
So can you tell me how that makes it better? Cuz there is so many different types of header, long tube, shorty, compact long tube(aparently this one is). I'm just confused on whichone to get.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:06 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
So can you tell me how that makes it better? Cuz there is so many different types of header, long tube, shorty, compact long tube(aparently this one is). I'm just confused on whichone to get.
Mev explains it all in his post.
Originally Posted by JBP
First and foremost: We do not want to market our header as a typical "shorty" header, because it is nothing of the sort.

Continuing, our header design is the product of three constants.

1) Space limitation
2) Tube length and design
3) Stock compatibility and ease of installation

1) This is the limitation in space emposed by the firewall, water pump, water feed, thermostat and cylinder head. We incorporated an optimal length which was first estimated by hand mathematically and then computer modeled by Reza Manni (Laser scientist) and reproduced by myself (Mev), in to the tack welded piece you saw on the previous page. The design of a header is much like that of a pressure tube, in which you have a time limit from when the exhaust gases and flowing and not flowing. Without getting to complex, we made a header length that is optimal for the design that incorporates constants 1 and 3.

2) Tube length is computer modeled carefully with data from both engine flow, timing, and the appropriate runner length, in this case which ranges from about 16.55-17.74" long. Yes, that is the approximate length of the primaries. This number provides us with a base range that will assist us in the header design. We have one primary that is longer than the rest which is to assist in a technique in which we found during modeling to enhance the vaccuum effect of the header in the high RPM range. We've spent a lot of money on this project and forsee that the header will out perform even long tube headers.

3) Once again, the whole reason for having such an interesting looking piece is because of space constraints to achieve the primary length and a stock bolt-on compatibility. Customers questioned would like to have a header that bolts into the stock location. It makes it easier for installation and compatibility for future exhaust modifications.

I'm eagerly awaiting dyno testing on my own cobalt ss. Just have to finish a few final touches.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 AM

I think if the group buy doesnt materialize soon im gonna get impatient and buy it anyway along with their motor mount and get it all installed at the same time when it is done....errrr i hate having the money ready and having no patience....
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM

hey who ever is leading the group buy thing please let me know when yall are gonna do everything.....count me in!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:53 AM

When there's finally a price, I MIGHT be interested.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:34 PM
JBP
Banned

Hello, I'll be happy to answer all your questions.
- There must be a minimum of ten (10) paid customers for the GP to be considered. The reasoning behind ten customers is explained with the next bullet point.
- I'm told by our stainless supplier that they are currently working on a discounted price if we purchase 200+ bends in one sitting. This will roughly cover 10 units in one shot.
- Since we balance everyday workload with the manufacturing of the headers, we stamp a two week wait period for a single header. When doing anything in production, things speed up considerably, therefore we can probably speed up the process. Perhaps two headers per week?..

If there are anymore questions... feel free to ask.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:47 PM

Can you tell us what the price "will be" if 10 orders are recieved? If we knew the price ahead of time, it would be easier for 10 people to commit. With that said, what's the group purchase price?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by turboeco
I'm thinking he has to wait for the discount price from his stainless supplier, before he can give us the GP price.

So what does everyone think about the wait?

Two headers a week isn't bad, if they can actually do it. We can decide who gets them in order of the GP list, payment date, or just wait a little over a month and have them ship em' all at once.

Those of you on the list, post how you feel about this.

Thanks!

-Travis
Please don't press them for more than 2/week, because when they do the headers that means they aren't doing my engine and I so want to drive my Cobalt.

Quick Reply: J-Body Performance Header