2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Kind of pissed........

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of pissed........

Well i got my cobalt ss/sc on june 30th. I now have 425 miles on the car so i go to take off and im going i wait till i'm at about 4k rpm's and punch it grab second gear quick not a powershift and to my delight my clutch slipped . It only slips on quick 1st to 2nd shifts and sometimes on a quick 2nd to 3rd. Is my clucth a dud? I really try not to beat on my car. I have never dumped the clutch or power shifted. I am new to a manual trans but i didn't think i could go through a clutch in a week and a half. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I know everyone here on a stock clutch says their's slips but mine is almost brand new. I got the car from my dad's dealership so warranty is not a problem but im kinda pissed that i still have my temp plate and the clutch is already starting to go. Sorry i just had to vent i'll end my rant know.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Search. This is a HUGE problem in these cars, just gotta learn to live with it, or buy a aftermarket clutch!!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 AM

my clutch is in perfect working order after 3000 miles...are you sure you know what slipping feels like? or looks like too...my clutch bites like a monster. But i also take off from lights at maybe 1000 rpms and thats the constant wear right there....
Old 07-12-2006, 12:15 AM

Iv had mine for almost two months and I have 4700 miles on her and iv had no issues with the clutch at all. "knock on wood"
Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over 24000 miles on my stock clutch and NO problems what so ever...
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM

Interesting, you guys can shift hard to second and not get a thud or slipage, I thought everyone had this???? Since STG 2, power shifting into 2nd is totally useless, have to wait a good one or 2 seconds then slide it in.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM

I had a bit of power surge but I was showing the car to a friend without letting her warm up. So it was my fault she snapped at me.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Woodyr007
Interesting, you guys can shift hard to second and not get a thud or slipage, I thought everyone had this???? Since STG 2, power shifting into 2nd is totally useless, have to wait a good one or 2 seconds then slide it in.

all i get is a jolt forward and squeeling tires man...or sometimes wheel hop...but hopefully squeeling tires, NEVER slipping clutch.

edit: I NEVER powershift.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Woodyr007
I sometimes shift hard 1st to 2nd, but I never power shift those two. I only power shift 3rd to 4th and that's rarely. But nope, even on a hard 1-2 shift I don't have any problems.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 AM

I only have about 6500 miles on mine and I've shifted pretty hard a few times, but the clutch has always taken it. No difference in clutch performance between stock and after stage 2 and mods, etc.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:55 AM

I know when a clutch is slipping i am new to the car but i will grab second quick and the rpm's stay at 5k and i go know where for a second or two. This does not happen all the time though only on certain shifts. I left from work and got on it and it slipped, 3 miles later i got on it agian and it just grabbed.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
I know when a clutch is slipping i am new to the car but i will grab second quick and the rpm's stay at 5k and i go know where for a second or two. This does not happen all the time though only on certain shifts. I left from work and got on it and it slipped, 3 miles later i got on it agian and it just grabbed.
For the tach to be 1.5k short of redline after the shift, the clutch would have to be toasted, imo (or nuked as Wes would say ). When I shift hard in any gear, from a 6.5-7k shift, I am no where near 5k after the shift.

Edit: and lol up above at Campo's user bars.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:35 AM

I guess I just got lucky or I'm concervative with my clutch, cause I have 4100 miles and can power shift 1-2 with no slip what so ever and I powershift 2-3 ALL THE TIME. I also have no thud (prolly cause my ingalls)
Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 AM

over 15k miles and the clutch on my ride is still more than acceptable at handeling a properly completed power or high rpm granny shift stage 2 and all.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
Well i got my cobalt ss/sc on june 30th. I now have 425 miles on the car so i go to take off and im going i wait till i'm at about 4k rpm's and punch it grab second gear quick not a powershift and to my delight my clutch slipped . It only slips on quick 1st to 2nd shifts and sometimes on a quick 2nd to 3rd. Is my clucth a dud? I really try not to beat on my car. I have never dumped the clutch or power shifted. I am new to a manual trans but i didn't think i could go through a clutch in a week and a half. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I know everyone here on a stock clutch says their's slips but mine is almost brand new. I got the car from my dad's dealership so warranty is not a problem but im kinda pissed that i still have my temp plate and the clutch is already starting to go. Sorry i just had to vent i'll end my rant know.
That about says it all. This is not a good car to learn stick on. You can seriously damage a new clutch if you are not driving it properly (which any noob would be doing). The clutch needs a gentle break-in period, just like your brakes, and you can't give it that when you are learning to drive stick! It is no coincidence that most of the people who have clutch problems on the site either have little or no experience driving a manual!

Flame me, but that is the truth! Everyone that I have met in person with an SS/SC has had no problems! Many of them are runing GM stage II or intense stage III!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_
That about says it all. This is not a good car to learn stick on. You can seriously damage a new clutch if you are not driving it properly (which any noob would be doing). The clutch needs a gentle break-in period, just like your brakes, and you can't give it that when you are learning to drive stick! It is no coincidence that most of the people who have clutch problems on the site either have little or no experience driving a manual!

Flame me, but that is the truth! Everyone that I have met in person with an SS/SC has had no problems! Many of them are runing GM stage II or intense stage III!
i second that x2
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 AM
iso

i finally figured out why gm put the crappy pzero's on this car. switch to a tire that actually gets grip, wind out 1st, and shift hard into second... slips the clutch every time.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:22 AM

the clutch does seem to slip from a hard 1-2 shift. mine used to at least.

get a torque dampner so the engine doesnt flex as much. it worked wonders for me.
that still doesnt change that these cars have weak clutches. my view: the clutch is rather frail, but it all depends on the driver. mine holds up fine when im racing through gears. i can get it to slip badly if i abuse it tho..... since you are new to a manual, it is a consideration. i kno i burned up the clutch on my STi VERY quckly and im on my second one after 20k. in hindsight tho, i abused it while learning.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:58 AM

mine slips slightly into 2nd (not powershifting) but never into 3rd unless ive been hammering it... then the clutch is hot, i can tolerate it slipping when its hot..
Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 AM

well, this is the car i LEARNED how to drive stick on and i've reach 6000km. even with the first abuse i put it through i have never seen any prob with the clutch so far, hopefully it stays that way. i still dont even know if im driving it properly lol cause when i shift some 1st to 2nd most of the time i get a lil boost. so i dunno.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_

Bingo! I had 20k on my Redline when I traded it in, drove it relatively hard, and not too many miles were interstate. So my clutch got used a lot. Never slipped even once. I think this is why there is a huge difference in the amount of cobalts having clutch issues compared to redlines. The redlines seem to sell to a slightly older demographic. Older demographic means more responsible and more experience driving manual.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM

My clutch used to slip something fierce, but now I can powershift it and the most I get is a thud. This is without letting up on the gas and shifting as quick as I possibly can.

There is a tiny bit of slippage, but it doesn't stay disengaged like it seemed to before. I have almost 13,000 miles on my car.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM

It's weird because i got on it agian today for testing purposes and it just grabbed no slipping so is it a problem with the clucth i am rather confused.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 AM
iso

i don't believe it is a problem with the clutch. but a problem with the slave. try stomping on the clutch pedal and shifting hard, that seems to make mine slip but if i drop the pedal enough to disengage it and not to the floor it seems to shift fine.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:43 PM

3 months & 5000 miles later. Started beating on the car at about 600 miles. Powershifting only when racing or showing off. No noticable slipping.

Quick Reply: Kind of pissed........