2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Le Riceburners OFFICIAL Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Hit the sharp edges with scotch brite by hand, let it eat. To heck with the coating; run more meth.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluelightning
You pull up a thread where a single person showed dyno proof making even 1 hp plugging their silencer holes on their Balt and I'll believe you.

Yes Eaton says plugging the holes can be more efficient. Gains would be minimal at best. ZZP said they tested it and actually lost power. But when asked for proof none were to show.
Wasnt there a sticky thread where eaton actually made a statement regarding the silencer holes being for sound only?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
There was. Many m90 platform people think otherwise. Im not hoping for anything though i believe its only for sound.

Originally Posted by BlackielawlessSS
Oh god it is even worse then I thought! Well I got stuck with a auto 5.0 mustang. My mom did not want me driving a race car I beat the **** out of that car. Some how in the 2 years I owned it, I only took out one trans.
I went through THREE transmissions in my 3.1 monte. Have no idea... got the f rid of it at 88000 miles

Last edited by riceburner; 03-16-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by silverbullet67
what kind of projectors did you get for the retrofit?
Mercedes e55

Here we go again.....
Sorry to stir up so much **** everyone

Last edited by riceburner; 03-16-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Spawne32
Wasnt there a sticky thread where eaton actually made a statement regarding the silencer holes being for sound only?
"The two oval slots on the output plate are air leakage ports. Their only purpose is to decrease operational noise from the blower. Arnie, from Eaton Corp., explains their function like this, "When you stomp on the gas, the boost shoots up and the air flow goes supersonic. The air then slams back into the output plate and through the leakage slots, which reduces the hammering of the air into the housing causing less noise. The OEM can not have such loud NVH, that’s why we put them in the housing. The 2 small ports are not there to feed air, only to reduce noise." Basically, for the best flow and most efficiency, these ports can be blocked off, making the outlet port (triangle slot) the only port on the outlet plate of the housing. Closing these ports will not increase IAT's; however, it will make the supercharger much louder when in boost. As an example, aftermarket supercharger companies, such as Harrop, Roush and Magnuson do not use these slots in their blowers. It should be re-stated, that you should consult professionals regarding closing these ports; and do not, for any reason, plug them with JB Weld. Improper closure could eventually lead to pieces coming apart and loose debris destroying the rotors and housing. Opening up these ports will only have a negative effect on efficiency. Do not port them."
Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM

Hmm so it is probable that it could increase efficiency since they tell you to NOT open the silencer ports anymore then they already are.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Lol like I said, minimal at best. If it worked performance wise everyone would do it. This blower has been on the Cobalt for 9 years. Not much new to explore.

Buy arms ported blower case if you want a power increase.

Last edited by Bluelightning; 03-17-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't rice say he used JB Weld or something of the likes to fill them...
Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Think it was quicksteel and we beveled the ports correctly before filling. All will be well, **** what you heard
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
You pull up a thread where a single person showed dyno proof making even 1 hp plugging their silencer holes on their Balt and I'll believe you.

Yes Eaton says plugging the holes can be more efficient. Gains would be minimal at best. ZZP said they tested it and actually lost power. But when asked for proof none were to show.
This^

Pluging the holes is a noise maker mod rice.... You need to step back and really go over your build.

You are going in so many directions thinking you might solve something that hasnt been done or tried before to make power.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 03-17-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

I didn't say i would make power.

overall i think everything is sound, sand perhaps the pan-vac. this was all months in the making. one good power maker will be the balance shaft delete which i am really excited about
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 291 Likes on 268 Posts
Take lots of pics, I want to do this!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
If theres one thing ive learned from dealing with the honda community for years, when your car tends to attract the 17-19 year old "mommy and daddy just bought me this for graduating high school" crowd. Rumors and misinformation tend to be rampant and people cant tell whats truth or fiction. Take mrbelvedere for instance lol you could show him direct quotes from eaton regarding supercharger service and design and he will refuse to believe it.
direct quotes on a message board pfffft big deal most of the time the books are done to keep things over safe and to cover the companys ass when problems arise then when it comes to real world ops the part is more robust and will still perform well beyond when things are not 100% with the part there have been many m62s and a couple of tvs blowers with a well worse off rotor pack then this and are still performing well within the required performance thresh hold
Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BlackielawlessSS
Take lots of pics, I want to do this!
Its already been done and the blowers on. Its simple though, just have the openings wider on the inside of the rotor casing, tapering off into smaller openings on the outside.

Put tape over the inside side of the holes

Fill with quicksteel (used high temp at some crazy high pressure tolerance)

Spread a little extra around the hole for good measure

Let dry, peel off tape,sand, good to go
Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

And yeah guys the rotors are bad but not terrible. It was caused by metal flakes from the injen intake scraping a hole into itself in the fender hole it goes through, and then whatever debris got sucked into that hole.

It sucks because you know it would only he scraping the hole into the intake while driving, so pretty much all the metal shavings had to have been sucked in

Its a strong blower and motor! Yolo!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Yolo Let it eat Rice Let it eat Rice Let it eat Rice Let it eat Rice
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ps mrb you know i just say yolo to spite yolo'er's right? like you are mocking me mocking them lol. i don't take yolo seriously. though i do believe you only live once
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM

So does your motor
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

so does yours?

sorry but what are you all getting at? lol i feel like people are getting hotsie totsie here
Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Lol like I said, minimal at best. If it worked performance wise everyone would do it. This blower has been on the Cobalt for 9 years. Not much new to explore.

Buy arms ported blower case if you want a power increase.
I saw that blower case in the classifieds, i dont believe for a minute there's any sort of power increase with that goofy looking design. I also find it ironic that he recommended a pulley size change in order to take full advantage of the modification. I wish eaton would release more information about how the roots blower works so that people could understand the reason for that V shaped outlet in relation to the timing of the rotors spinning so they wouldnt fall victim to these people selling these goofy shaped housings. Magnuson already does their own aftermarket blower cases for certain applications and you will notice they all maintain the same V shape outlet (minus the silencer ports) and it is only a tad bit wider.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw that blower case in the classifieds, i dont believe for a minute there's any sort of power increase with that goofy looking design. I also find it ironic that he recommended a pulley size change in order to take full advantage of the modification. I wish eaton would release more information about how the roots blower works so that people could understand the reason for that V shaped outlet in relation to the timing of the rotors spinning so they wouldnt fall victim to these people selling these goofy shaped housings. Magnuson already does their own aftermarket blower cases for certain applications and you will notice they all maintain the same V shape outlet (minus the silencer ports) and it is only a tad bit wider.
Lol at you.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM

I recommended a pulley drop to see the most gains because this port brings back lost effeciency, the smaller you go the more % gain.
Dyno results of back to back testing.
If you want to talk **** in the face of proof, **** off.

You apparently don't know me that well, or that before I do or talk about something, I make sure I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to carry on looking like an ignorant ass, suit yourself.

And Adam, that wasn't a shot at you directly. More just saying, you get one shot per rebuild, might as well make sure it's done right.

Last edited by armcclure; 03-17-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by armcclure
I recommended a pulley drop to see the most gains because this port brings back lost effeciency, the smaller you go the more % gain.
Dyno results of back to back testing.
If you want to talk **** in the face of proof, **** off.

You apparently don't know me that well, or that before I do or talk about something, I make sure I know what I'm talking about.

If you want to carry on looking like an ignorant ass, suit yourself.

And Adam, that wasn't a shot at you directly. More just saying, you get one shot per rebuild, might as well make sure it's done right.
We are having a debate about this stuff, I didn't tell you to **** off did I? The dyno graph you posted doesn't look like what I would expect for your modification, it looks like the graph of a person who just did a pulley drop. There is a consistent gain on every point of the graph from low end to high end, we already know that porting the supercharger outlet causes it to lose low end efficiency so why would you see a hp and torque gain @ 2000rpm, that to me tells me that the blower speed has increased over the last dyno graph. That's besides the point though. What exactly did you use to come up with that specific design that makes it more efficient then the way eaton designed it? Did you test the design in a computational fluid dynamic program? Did you test the supercharger efficiency afterwards on a flow bench to measure the changes to know that that particular design was more efficient? All I ask is that you explain your design a little better and then maybe ill be a bit less skeptical, is that too much to ask?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:01 PM

I did explain it. And for your information, as was stated in the fs thread, both those pulls are the exact same pulley. Not just the same size. The exact same pulley.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 PM

But to reiterate, the widest split barely precedes the leading rotor lobe closing point. The steps break up the pulses for smoother airflow. It's not that difficult.
After being done by hand, it was digitized with a cmm, angles and shape made symmetrical, then done on a cnc.

As I said elsewhere, "it's not some back shelf dremel job"

Quick Reply: Le Riceburners OFFICIAL Build Thread