2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Limited Slip Diff

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boostbalt
Trust me, I was worried about not being able to find a non-g85 balt around here as there are basically none. Well after having one w/o LSD i don't regret it at all, I never have problems without an lsd, straight line launching = exactly the same. LSD only helps when a wheel slips due to lateral forces, LSD does not help on a straight, end of debate!
the lsd locks both wheels together on the launch I have the tire marks in my driveway to prove it.also it helps the car corner way better it pulls hard out of the corners and has less tend to understeer, I have driven both and would highly recommend getting the lsd.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:23 AM

One downside of the LSD that someone else posted a while back is it adds more moving parts to the engine and more heat. Not sure how true it is but...
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boostbalt
Trust me, I was worried about not being able to find a non-g85 balt around here as there are basically none. Well after having one w/o LSD i don't regret it at all, I never have problems without an lsd, straight line launching = exactly the same. LSD only helps when a wheel slips due to lateral forces, LSD does not help on a straight, end of debate!
You do not know what you are talking about.

true story
Old 12-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 5150SS/SC

true story

Old 12-28-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by PolishPauL
One downside of the LSD that someone else posted a while back is it adds more moving parts to the engine and more heat. Not sure how true it is but...
I've never personally seen this problem nor have I ever heard anyone complain about this possibility. It might hold true, especially w/ a bad cooling design for a transmission, but even then I doubt it. Every car comes with a differential, whether it's open diff., locking diff., or a grip sensing diff. (Quaife). So essentially, every car should have a similar problem w/ heat if this problem really exist.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:27 AM

I don't have it either. I had one in the Spec-V before, liked it, but I don't really miss it.

This really depends on your driving style. I start most of the time slowly, and I don't accelerate more than the traction I have when I turn, so I learned to drive without an LSD, but having one is a big plus if you do some track...

LSD is a BIG help in hard/quick corners, but in straight line and in snow, it's totally useless I can tell you that (at least that's what I can feel, never felt the LSD help in the straight, but maybe it does help with like over 300hp...)

So it really depends on your driving style... to me it's not worth it, I like to floor it on the highway, take curves really fast but don't smash the throttle at the same time as taking the corner, but I know the limit of the car without the LSD so I drive in a way that I don't need it.

Someone said you will use your tires faster... that again it's obvious if you take corners hard and smash the throttle, than yes that help, if not, doesn't make any difference, straight line the LSD doesn't do anything.

Got I don't miss the spec-v.... what a cheap car that was.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Banned

sorry for the stupid questions; i bought a used 05 ss s/c
has xm side airbags sun roof no reccaros so no lsd correct?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
sorry for the stupid questions; i bought a used 05 ss s/c
has xm side airbags sun roof no reccaros so no lsd correct?

You got it
Old 12-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ElChialeux
straight line the LSD doesn't do anything.
I would like to see proof of this statement.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150SS/SC
true story
So True. This is from Quaife's website.

Originally Posted by Quaife

The Quaife torque biasing differential enables your car to accelerate quicker and corner faster. How?

By getting the power to the ground!

The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that created unwanted understeer under power, or in the case of front-drive cars, even tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.

The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

More and more auto manufacturers are specifying the Quaife ATB Differential as original equipment in their high performance models - for good reason - it works!

The Quaife ATB Differential comes with something else other's don't have:
a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies even when raced ! >details

Go to Quaife Differential Application List, with the newest applications!

Copyright Š 2004 Quaife America. All rights reserved.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

tr00f.com^^^^

I hate when all these lil kiddies regurgitate stuff that was forcefed to them.

FACT: LSD DOES HELP WITH DRAG RACING.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 PM

Get it if you are really into cars and wanting to (possibly) tune it. If you just want a cheap bundle of fun (stock), then dont get it. But deff a recommender!!
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by martinsmu
Get it if you are really into cars and wanting to (possibly) tune it. If you just want a cheap bundle of fun (stock), then dont get it. But deff a recommender!!
sorry but this reasoning doesn't make sense
Old 12-28-2006, 04:17 PM

hmmm do i want power to one wheel or 2 hmmm let me think geee im really racking my brains right now.

All of you guys that say you dont need the LSD are STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

^^ you dont NEED LSD
no one NEEDS LSD
just like no one NEEDS a super charger so whats your point?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gory
hmmm do i want power to one wheel or 2 hmmm let me think geee im really racking my brains right now.

All of you guys that say you dont need the LSD are STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and your a bigger fool for thinking its as simple as that.

hmmm if I showed you non LSD vehicles burning out with both wheels what would you say?

Im curious....
Old 12-28-2006, 04:27 PM

I would say he needs new tires LOL
Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM

How hard would it be to install an LSD? Is there any major modification? Where would i find one at for my ss? and would it be smart to use one from a wrecked ss if i could get my hands on 1?
Old 12-28-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OniMirage
I would say he needs new tires LOL
haha smarty pants :P

you know what im getting at though.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:49 PM

yet another noob question...

im looking at buying a balt this week. there is an 06 for sale up the road, and i was wondering where i could find the option sticker on the vehicle.. im assuming it would say G85 there, correct? im new to chevy's, so forgive me.

thanks in advance fellas!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:54 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by SGT LSJ
yet another noob question...

im looking at buying a balt this week. there is an 06 for sale up the road, and i was wondering where i could find the option sticker on the vehicle.. im assuming it would say G85 there, correct? im new to chevy's, so forgive me.

thanks in advance fellas!
Mine is in the trunk by the spare tire.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 PM

appreciate the quick response, man. thanks alot.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by SGT LSJ
appreciate the quick response, man. thanks alot.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
and your a bigger fool for thinking its as simple as that.

hmmm if I showed you non LSD vehicles burning out with both wheels what would you say?

Im curious....
IT IS THAT SIMPLE!

It Makes perfect sence for a non LSD car to burn out with both tires they have no traction!

And for further clarification we(g85 cars) do not have LSD we have a Quaife Very different.

Quaife FTW!!!!! Enjoy your torque steer and **** handeling !!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM

noob?

ok so i've got a question, i have an 05 w/o recaros, but when i had the car on the lift yesterday. i rotated the wheel while in gear and the other one spun the opposite direction. so is that lsd or not?

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Diff