2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp Mode

So my car has been giving me issues lately, 2005 sc. Ran a scan on it and actually had a blutooth obdII plugged in when limp mode came on and 3 codes (the usual suspects but don't have the numbers on me) showed up. All point to issues related to TPS. So question I called a dealership and they don't sell a TPS by itself ... just a question I had asked, but my real question is ... does anyone know where there are after market TB's available? I can't for the life of me find any. I remember the SMS TB's were at one point being sold, I know I can go LS4 but need a new intake for that so not really looking forward to it, so now I am looking at $244 for a full replacement assembly. Any help???
Old 02-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Nothing?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Well not having the exact codes does not really help, But if it's a TPS then wouldnt that be your entire gas pedal assembly? Isnt the tps apart of that?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
Well not having the exact codes does not really help, But if it's a TPS then wouldnt that be your entire gas pedal assembly? Isnt the tps apart of that?
I will go get the codes right now
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Great so now the codes are gone not even in history. p0068 and p0069 show up though historically but not necessarily what is going on now.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
Great so now the codes are gone not even in history. p0068 and p0069 show up though historically but not necessarily what is going on now.
Well i just wonder cause IIRC the TPS is apart of the gas pedal so why you think TB replacement is all im getting at! I could be wrong!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Well i just wonder cause IIRC the TPS is apart of the gas pedal so why you think TB replacement is all im getting at! I could be wrong!
One of the errors brought up a huge description that explained the sensors reading one thing and the tb not being in that position. The other thing is the issue of idle bouncing around doesn't really sound like a sensor issue. I could be wrong but there are so many could be this could be that, that it's starting to confuse the hell outa me. Most people end up getting it fixed then leave the threads wherever they were posted without explaining wtf was going on.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
One of the errors brought up a huge description that explained the sensors reading one thing and the tb not being in that position. The other thing is the issue of idle bouncing around doesn't really sound like a sensor issue. I could be wrong but there are so many could be this could be that, that it's starting to confuse the hell outa me. Most people end up getting it fixed then leave the threads wherever they were posted without explaining wtf was going on.
Check tb operation for proper movement and remove/clean BEFORE thinking about replacing, a bouncy idle could be from the tps not reading correctly and since it's one of the codes you mentioned earlier i would check there first! Best of luck but please dont just throw parts at it!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:56 PM

your idle bouncing is prob caused by a dirty TB i cleaned it and no more prob with that. i was having the same issues with my TPS so i ordered a new gas pedal and put it in the trunk havent had a problem since.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Check tb operation for proper movement and remove/clean BEFORE thinking about replacing, a bouncy idle could be from the tps not reading correctly and since it's one of the codes you mentioned earlier i would check there first! Best of luck but please dont just throw parts at it!
Originally Posted by budlightmech
your idle bouncing is prob caused by a dirty TB i cleaned it and no more prob with that. i was having the same issues with my TPS so i ordered a new gas pedal and put it in the trunk havent had a problem since.
Sigh, I am probably just over thinking the issue. The thing is when I started looking for TPS's I found none, then I started looking for TB's and found none, I usually like a backup plan but instead of inspection first I went backwards. I will make it home today and give it a good cleaning and hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM

OK just got home, ******* scary ... anyway ... went into limp mode and got the codes ... 0069, 0121, 0341, 1182, 0068. Any help would be great. Gonna leave to get some throttle body cleaner here soon hopefully someone chimes in before I take off.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM

The problem is that not all of these codes come up all the time in fact the camshaft one I never saw before nor in history. One may have led to another due to a fault in one of them.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Banned

clean or replace your tb
cat may be going bad also, my car threw stupid codes when my cat clogged lol. hit limp mode badly and then became more apparent. my car goes in limp mode if i bounce off the limiter spinning hard too lol.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 05Slowline
clean or replace your tb
cat may be going bad also, my car threw stupid codes when my cat clogged lol. hit limp mode badly and then became more apparent. my car goes in limp mode if i bounce off the limiter spinning hard too lol.
My guess is it is related to a part issue, like as you stated a cat, or even an crap ebay intake...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM

Mine was throwing 0121 0068 and 0069 but my cat was clogging up so I punched it out, and the other ones went away when I bought the new gas pedal. I would lean toward replacing your cat and that may clear up some of those code.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 PM

ok so tb needs to be cleaned is step one then if that doesn't work ... lean toward cat step two ... then lean toward gas pedal step 3. That's a pretty clear picture at least. Gonna leave here in a moment to get the cleaner then later off to my friends to clean it up. Thx all for the suggestions.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM

If that dosent work I know where some c4 is........
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a NEW CAT! Then your problems will go away. Get ZZP either 2.5 or 3 inches. You decide, it's your money. GM CAT SUCKS!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 AM

So cleaned the throttle body with a cleaner. Read the instructions and said not to spray when using on boosted engines so it was slow going spraying on a paper towel or q-tip and scrubbing away. Got it to a nice shiny condition reattached everything and turned on the car.

I let it sit for about 3 minutes and no CEL so I plugged in the blutooth scanner and ran for codes, the previous code was still there from the history so I wiped it out, turned off the car and turned it back on. Let it sit again and scanned once more, nothing. So I took it out.

Right away I tried to cause the Limp mode but it didn't happen. I was kinda worried that the sluggish idle would still be there and in my head I kinda kept thinking it was still there but it wasn't bouncing around like it was before so I kept going. Went to a back road and there was literally no one around it's like the motor gods had approved a run, so I went and damn did it feel good ... really good ... a little too good. I looked over at my boost gauge thinking here it comes I have to trip the limp mode ... top of second ... nope.

Scanned for errors, again I was good to go. This time I let it hit the rev limit once ... again scanned and good to go. One last time this time top of third and as I was going I noticed 16lbs of boost?!? I don't remember the GM can tunes allowing for this much boost though I know some people reported it though most saw 13-15 pounds. My guess was confirmed when I looked at the scanner reading I topped at 16lbs.

So now I have a question ... I know first that cleaning the throttle body isn't going to add pressure in fact it should increase flow which should reduce pressure but shouldn't be measurable unless all that gunk I cleaned off was already getting in the way back when I first installed the stage 2 upgrade. So first thanks to all that calmed me down and had me look to cleaning first instead of throwing a part at it. But I am confused as to what could suddenly have caused me to regain(gain?) those extra couple pounds of boost?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:42 AM

did u move the butterfly when cleaning your tb?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltItaliano
did u move the butterfly when cleaning your tb?
I did I made sure that there was none of that gunk restricting the movement, seemed to be a lot on the back end and some built up like a puddle on the front end.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:43 AM

WAs it cold out? Ive boosted over 15 PSI on a GMs2 tune back in 07 when it came out, Nice chilly ventura cali street racing in the winter.... LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

If it pulled ok I wouldn't worry bout it too many variables to say hey your boost should be this. If you see 20+ then your cat is bad but 15 or 16 would be within the "norm". LOL @ the motor gods.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 AM

WAs it cold out? Ive boosted over 15 PSI on a GMs2 tune back in 07 when it came out, Nice chilly ventura cali street racing in the winter.... LOL
Don't remember maybe 60's at the lowest based on how the weather has been.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
If it pulled ok I wouldn't worry bout it too many variables to say hey your boost should be this. If you see 20+ then your cat is bad but 15 or 16 would be within the "norm". LOL @ the motor gods.
That's good to know I will just count it as good news then.

Quick Reply: Limp Mode