2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

LSJ+Vulcan I/M=FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
LSJ+Vulcan I/M=FAIL

Sooo, if you own an LSJ... and you want to turbo your mad tyte whip... don't order the Vulcan Intake Manifold. Its not worth the trouble... and it won't properly fit an LSJ anyway.

That is all. Maybe I'll speak more on the subject later, if that many people get interested.

Just trust me when I say this... spend the extra money and get the Hahn.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you getting a refund on that waste of metal?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks man. Yea hopefully you get a refund.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005
Are you getting a refund on that waste of metal?
No. They want me to spend my good money to send it back to get repaired. I guess I'll just have to butcher the hell out of it to get it on there so that the car will run... and then I'll just order the Hahn later on down the road.

Asshats.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

wow, i was not expecting this... but i do love my hahn!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM

This marks the second time someone has politely indicated vulcan is crud.
I tell you with a part that important, if I got the hoop, I would probably get banned for flaming... lol
Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
This marks the second time someone has politely indicated vulcan is crud.
I tell you with a part that important, if I got the hoop, I would probably get banned for flaming... lol
i'd probably be in jail...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I requested it to fit an LS4 Throttle Body. "NO PROBLEM!" They said. It showed up with a 2.5" TB Hole... LS4 is 3.5".

Notice the hole in the middle of the flange... it leads to nothing, but the gasket. It is threaded, so I don't know if that is where the PCV Valve is on the 2.2L's or what... but there is nothing under it on my car, except for gasket. And there is no accomodation for the LSJ's PCV Valve (or what ever that is called).

Great powerdercoating job...

There are a lot of little bumps all over it... like it was powdercoated over dirty metal or something. They look like rust bubbles all over it... only black. Oh, there were also some runs in the black. I didn't think you could have runs when you powdercoated something.

How do you not notice something like this before shipping it out?

This doesn't look safe/healthy/good.

The car probably won't be done before I leave for Iraq now. So its just gonna sit unfinished for a year. :suicide:

Went to put on the Intake Manifold... and it just fit like ****. The flange doesn't even line up with the bolt holes on the head. And the collector sits against the Radiator Hose big time, almost to the point of cutting off circulation. But the radiator hose pushes back... which pushes the bolts off course... which strips out the head.

It took us 3 hours of labor to port the TB Flange so that it was big enough for the LS4 TB. And then an hour of struggling with trying to put the I/M on the head before I called it. DEAD at 4.26am. Hahn doesn't have any manifolds in stock and Vulcan won't issue a refund... they want me to send it back to be fixed.

I seriously am so frustrated right now... I wanted to throw that I/M across the room.

Of course, the response that I got to all of these problems was:

Unfortunently i cant issue a refund.... Now.. i do apologize for this, and i requested that the intake manifold was returned to us to be fixed and sent back right away!! It was never returned. As for the exhasut manifold, i apologize for that as well, one batch of flanges was machined off spec so the head flanges were slightly off. You mentioned you had to bore the turbo flange to make it fit? The turbo flange is threaded to M10x1.5, the bolt holes should NOT be bored out at all, studs should be used with it. You also mentioned that it interfers with a coolant hose.. You must keep in mind that your installing a turbocharger on a car that was never designed to have one put on it! When installing these things should be checked and relocated as nesseccary as this manifold was never in GM's plans to be installed on your vehicle. If you wish you can still send the intake manifold back so we can re-coat and repair it for you. Thanks.
And my response:

The Turbo flange that was on my manifold was NOT threaded. I used studs. It still needed bored out and threaded. I said this in my original email. And I understand that the car wasn't meant to have a turbo charger on it. I also understand that when you make a product for a car, you usually make it so that it will FIT that car. The problem I have with sending it back is that, that will cost me more money out of my pocket to fix problems that shouldn't have been present in the first place. If all you can do is offer to fix the problems, then that is no good. I can fix the problems myself, I just feel it to be total bullshit that I should have to put 5 hours of custom work into a Manifold designed and said to fit my car, especially since I paid a good chunk of change for it.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM

Wheres judge judy when you need her!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM

omg i would def be in jail for a long long time... i know you dont wanna hear this right now, but all the hahn level 5 kit bolted up with ease in a matter of hrs... i paid extra for this and i knew it was the right choice for me

all my threads had been cleaned and chased, everything alighned perfect, that is straight bull **** they knew they sent you a product like that with a flange not machined correctly and they were aware of it...

omg, is all i can say...

but man im sorry its not working out before deployment...

its just so un ******* believable... it blows my mind...

vulcan FTL on this one anyways

hm i was not to far from going with there egual length turbo header instead of my old log style... now, i think not... id rather buy a flange and pay someone to tig it up...

Last edited by hungryhip-ccp; 04-22-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

The long tube is worth it, IMO. It is a tight squeeze. Mine had the TD05 flange on it... I doubt anyone had ordered that one before - so that's why I gave them that one as a Freebie. Paul says the Long Tube is MEGA worth it the first time you floor the gas too.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM

wow, thats pretty bad, they should repair it for free.
There turbo exhaust manifolds look sick though
Old 04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by zay52790
wow, thats pretty bad, they should repair it for free.
There turbo exhaust manifolds look sick though
Yeah... of course they would repair it for free. BUT, I have to spend $20 to ship it back to them. And then I'd probably have to wait at least a week just for shipping both ways, so it'd probably be two weeks before I get it back. Well, I activate for a deployment in about 2 weeks... so that wouldn't work for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I didn't get that. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll probably end up making my own longtube anyway.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow didnt expect that from them
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM

damnnnnnn that looks like hell!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 PM

that is some **** because paul got it first, told them what they needed to change to make it clear, and once again, vulcan says "no problem"

so much for them changing the jigs to make it fit.

i would NOT SETTLE for that IM to be fixed. that is straight up shitty workmanship.

refund or bust.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
call up jbp. im sure he has one layin around

jokes. i haz dem
Old 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM

Sorry to hear you are having problems whth vulcan, i got the long tube header and it fit nicely, i had to bore out the bolt holes a little to get it on, but other than that is was top notch work. I'm suprised he won't just give you your money back, sucks man, hope you get it worked out....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
Sorry to hear you are having problems whth vulcan, i got the long tube header and it fit nicely, i had to bore out the bolt holes a little to get it on, but other than that is was top notch work. I'm suprised he won't just give you your money back, sucks man, hope you get it worked out....
WUT?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by originaladrian
WUT?
Yea, it would not slide on the studs in the head without making the holes just a tad bit bigger, not too big of a deal really, except for the fact that i paid almost $800 beans for it, it should have put itself on,lol...
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 PM

Well that sucks, but I would send it back so they can make changes and improve their product for everyone in the future.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My manifold fit perfectly into my 2.2, it fit fine in sentrys car, onlything ic is the flange on the IM, that's a 2.2 flange, oh and the ls4 tb, and the header flange, seriously, use a drill bit to bored the holes out, takes 5mins, I deal with Vulcan on a daily basis and they always offer to fix their mistakes, and I can't tell what kind of paint job that is, the pic is to small to tell on my iPhone

Also the manifold fit a 370+whp cavy fine, he was running a ls1 tb
Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 AM

Id like to comment on this whole situation, unfortunately i was not personally in the shop for this manifold to be made, however i will comment that the employee who was in charge of manifold clean up, prep and coating, was fired! For this exact reason what you see above, Throttle body flanges were not being made properly, parts ended up looking like crap (as seen) even after coating, and areas needing de-burring, were not! Our new employee is faaaaaar better at his job!

I do apologize that something that came out like this made it out the door, and when i was first alerted of this i offered right away to have it sent back and repaired / cleaned up. I would have even refunded any shipping costs!!!

Unfortunately since parts like this are custom we do not offer refunds on them which should be completely understandable.

Now... as for the intake flange, you mention there is a hole in the middle that does nothing for your engine.. correct! It is not for your engine, however other models of the ecotec have there PCV located in that spot. Yours is off the right. For these setups we suggest that the head is tapped and a fitting is used directly in the head.

I hope everyone understands, now that were getting to the point of having more than just myself making parts, i dont get to see everything, and sometimes people just lack the self modivation to produce parts that are quality in all aspects,, which i find sad that someone can lack such pride in there work. This is not a representation of our business in any way.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by vulcanturbo
Id like to comment on this whole situation, unfortunately i was not personally in the shop for this manifold to be made, however i will comment that the employee who was in charge of manifold clean up, prep and coating, was fired! For this exact reason what you see above, Throttle body flanges were not being made properly, parts ended up looking like crap (as seen) even after coating, and areas needing de-burring, were not! Our new employee is faaaaaar better at his job!

I do apologize that something that came out like this made it out the door, and when i was first alerted of this i offered right away to have it sent back and repaired / cleaned up. I would have even refunded any shipping costs!!!

Unfortunately since parts like this are custom we do not offer refunds on them which should be completely understandable.

Now... as for the intake flange, you mention there is a hole in the middle that does nothing for your engine.. correct! It is not for your engine, however other models of the ecotec have there PCV located in that spot. Yours is off the right. For these setups we suggest that the head is tapped and a fitting is used directly in the head.

I hope everyone understands, now that were getting to the point of having more than just myself making parts, i dont get to see everything, and sometimes people just lack the self modivation to produce parts that are quality in all aspects,, which i find sad that someone can lack such pride in there work. This is not a representation of our business in any way.
This is the kind of response that i wish we would se from other vendors on this site. This actually sounds like a respectable business that can recognize its mistakes and correct them promptly. I will definatley be using your products in the future should i choose to go the turbo route

Quick Reply: LSJ+Vulcan I/M=FAIL