2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

LSJ+Vulcan I/M=FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before i start i'll just say that the T/B flange, non-deburred holes, and the powdercoat are valid concerns and were dealt with.

Now onto the good stuff. Are you really expecting an intake manifold that was DESIGNED for the L61 to fit the LSJ perfectly? Are your really crying about the LSJ upper rad hose being in the way? You do realise that it was DESIGNED for the L61 upper rad hose. Hell i have a J-body L61 upper rad hose that you can have FOR FREE. Just pay shipping, wait you cant afford shipping i forgot.

I'll hate to see you complain about putting a M62 on a L61. The stock rad hose is in the way, i have to modify a LSJ gasket to work, i have to grind the head to get the tensioner to fit, etc..

But by far my favorite is the crying over the $20 to ship the manifold back to Vulcan who will fix it FOR FREE.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 PM

heres the same company doing the same test on another engine:

http://www.full-race.com/articles/1....st_writeup.pdf
Old 04-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tinkles
Before i start i'll just say that the T/B flange, non-deburred holes, and the powdercoat are valid concerns and were dealt with.

Now onto the good stuff. Are you really expecting an intake manifold that was DESIGNED for the L61 to fit the LSJ perfectly? Are your really crying about the LSJ upper rad hose being in the way? You do realise that it was DESIGNED for the L61 upper rad hose. Hell i have a J-body L61 upper rad hose that you can have FOR FREE. Just pay shipping, wait you cant afford shipping i forgot.

I'll hate to see you complain about putting a M62 on a L61. The stock rad hose is in the way, i have to modify a LSJ gasket to work, i have to grind the head to get the tensioner to fit, etc..

But by far my favorite is the crying over the $20 to ship the manifold back to Vulcan who will fix it FOR FREE.
yup yup I'm doing all this in a day
Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
ow i trust you i just thought in your case it was the stock head, cams, valves, and springs choking the top end... but i assume you have seen other cars with ported heads cams and valvtrain still have a choking off effect in the top end due to the turbo manifold?

stock head and cams are whats really choking me down, I'll see if I have any dyno sheets on my work comp to show you the drop above 6300 rpm. But that will all be fixed as the motor comes out tomorrow finally. Fully built head, CNC'd intake and exhaust, 78lb springs, Ti retainers, +.5mm stainless/iconal valves and we are port matching the turbo mani. Should yield some nive gains there. oh and a set of 272 cams

when i was talking to m2racing they said that at as high of boost levels as you and i are pushing that it actually is blowing the valves open under high boost and delaying there function, and that the 78's will take car of that.
I would believe that, they did a very nice job on my cylinder head. I should have it out tomorrow to take some pics
for tunning and dd i was actually planning on going with a cnc port and stock cams and valves with just springs and retainers.
should work fairly well, don't think you'll get much over 440-450whp though on the stock cams as they just don't have the lift and duration to move that much more air. Ported exhaust side will help a lot though
what do you think about this? as my goal will never be anything over 450 at max. 400 is where i wouldlike to stay for the fact of cost issues when it comes to supporting mods as far as drivetrain... im at 370 now...
sounds like a good plan, can't wait to see more of these turbo swaps out there with built motors f'n up peoples days lol. As for sustainable power, I've been in the 440whp range for a few months and haven't broken any drivetrain parts (knock on wood), Even running on sticky ass Mickey Thompsons on the street (245 45r 18's (26x9.5's)). But I am only running the car at the track one more time because I am a bit nervous about the trans and they are a bitch to get around by me. RX-7 will be my 800whp track beast.

hope that helps a bit.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
hope that helps a bit.

thanks, i knew 400 is possible on stock cams cause you and 06 have proven that. now do you think this turbo is up to par for 400? im still on the S20g, but from what i have read researching them there good to 450whp or 500hp they just dont have the luxary of being dbb. is this somewhat correct? isnt it comparable to a gt3076 minus the bb? i dont know how to read comp maps and let alone i cant even find one for this turbo... i dont even understand what is different about a S20g compared to a standered td06h 20g?

i quess i could email hahn's tech...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
that is the least of my worries. http://siliconeintakes.com has me covered.
I just ordered from them too!

Originally Posted by Tinkles

A Bag of Dicks.

Eat one.

Whether it was DESIGNED for the L61 or not... it it SOLD as an LSJ product, therefore I would expect it to fit on an LSJ. I'm not crying about it hitting the upper rad hose, nor is it THAT big of a deal... just pointing out common issues. If that is a known issue, it should be listed in the item description. And I never said that I can't afford shipping. I simply stated that I'm getting deployed with the Marines and need the car done ASAP and therefore do not have the time to ship it back wait for the issues to be corrected and then have it shipped back.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 AM

If you still have time please send it back, let me know what shipping costs you...
Old 05-01-2009, 05:35 PM

i had got mine a while back and i had issues with the runner length. That was really it. I email them and he said he would fix it but i had already had it fixed. from my understanding the runner size should have gotten an inch added to it (from 3" to 4") to fix the problem in the future. I ordered mine about nov 08. i liked the product and would still be on my car had i not blew the pos turbo i had.

id order it again assuming all the specs were correct this time.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

Okay,

So my wait is now over. My intake Manifold just arrived. And by no surprise looks like complete and utter ****!! The lack of worksmanship that is shown is just purely pathetic for a company, and i would be ashamed if this was something my company is production and calling a finished product.

Vulcan, This is the cheapest put together piece i have ever witnessed in my 20 years of experience, in auto mechanics and fab work.

From what i read you say you will fix all mistakes, and since i have experience in this field. It's going to cost you more to fix this manifold then to just make a new one the RIGHT way.

My issues... Of course the powder coating. There are bumps where medal is showing through. Which means the medal was not prepped correctly before the powder coating took place. How this makes it past your QA is beyond me...You do have a QA department right? If not, get one

Secondly, in the runners there are medal chunks and flakes through all four. Now you tell me if i should hook this up and blow 15psi of metal pieces in to my cylinders? I think not, unless you want to buy me a motor as well Vulcan.

Thirdly, The flange that is welded on to the runners does not line up. Which means a **** TON of restrictions going in to the cylinders.

All in all i should have stuck with Hahn, they're piece makes this look like junk metal. But since this "good" company doesn't give refunds, which shows they know they're products are trash. I will be stuck wasting more months sending this junk back to get fixed. Where if i bought hahn it would have been done.

Oh and i also bought they're exhaust manifold. God only knows how shitty that's going to look when it arrives. Bets are that is going back just as fast. Vulcan please contact me asap.

Here's two pics for you all to see, and sorry so long had to vent on a lot of money wasted!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
while that definitely isn't the greatest work of art, I've seen a lot worse.

it basically looks like they just don't have good attention to detail. I'd be willing to bet they don't have a quality assurance department. But they should definitely get one.

Last edited by ralliartist; 05-01-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Originally Posted by vulcanturbo
If you still have time please send it back, let me know what shipping costs you...
If you would pay for one day shipping each way and could have it back to me by the 8th... that's the only way.

Originally Posted by MySSisFaster
Okay,

So my wait is now over. My intake Manifold just arrived. And by no surprise looks like complete and utter ****!! The lack of worksmanship that is shown is just purely pathetic for a company, and i would be ashamed if this was something my company is production and calling a finished product.

Vulcan, This is the cheapest put together piece i have ever witnessed in my 20 years of experience, in auto mechanics and fab work.

From what i read you say you will fix all mistakes, and since i have experience in this field. It's going to cost you more to fix this manifold then to just make a new one the RIGHT way.

My issues... Of course the powder coating. There are bumps where medal is showing through. Which means the medal was not prepped correctly before the powder coating took place. How this makes it past your QA is beyond me...You do have a QA department right? If not, get one

Secondly, in the runners there are medal chunks and flakes through all four. Now you tell me if i should hook this up and blow 15psi of metal pieces in to my cylinders? I think not, unless you want to buy me a motor as well Vulcan.

Thirdly, The flange that is welded on to the runners does not line up. Which means a **** TON of restrictions going in to the cylinders.

All in all i should have stuck with Hahn, they're piece makes this look like junk metal. But since this "good" company doesn't give refunds, which shows they know they're products are trash. I will be stuck wasting more months sending this junk back to get fixed. Where if i bought hahn it would have been done.

Oh and i also bought they're exhaust manifold. God only knows how shitty that's going to look when it arrives. Bets are that is going back just as fast. Vulcan please contact me asap.

Here's two pics for you all to see, and sorry so long had to vent on a lot of money wasted!

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/gw00d82/sized.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/gw00d82/IMG00025-20090501-2119.jpg[IMG]
Yes, it is very frustrating to drop $500+ on something only for it to turn out like that. My key frustration. I was an avid supporter of Vulcan too... they appeared to offer an outstanding product that A LOT of people will start buying here in the next couple years...

You guys REALLY need to correct these issues. You are Hahn's only competition... and they offer a Manifold that comes with the needed hardware (Studs, Nuts, DIRECT MAP PORT, ETC) that will easily bolt in in less than 20 minutes. Time to step up your game.

Originally Posted by ralliartist
while that definitely isn't the greatest work of art, I've seen a lot worse.

it basically looks like they just don't have good attention to detail. I'd be willing to bet they don't have a quality assurance department. But they should definitely get one.
Indeed. Attention to Detail is an amazing thing...

...and Complacency Kills.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:53 AM

x2 on stepping it up if you even wanna come close to hahn...
Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 PM

I will be contacting my flange supplier about having the flanges machined with a bevel on the intake side, which will avoid that "wall" right at the end of the runners... This is very true there is a few issues we still need to iron out. I may be dropping powdercoating on the manifolds all together.

USMC.... you should easily be able to send her ground and have it here and back by friday, your only in ohio which only takes 1-2 days to come to me. I could have it in and out the same day.

Last edited by vulcanturbo; 05-02-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Well, I give you credit for trying to resolve the issues.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned

I will be contacting my flange supplier about having the flanges machined with a bevel on the intake side, which will avoid that "wall" right at the end of the runners... This is very true there is a few issues we still need to iron out. I may be dropping powdercoating on the manifolds all together.

USMC.... you should easily be able to send her ground and have it here and back by friday, your only in ohio which only takes 1-2 days to come to me. I could have it in and out the same day.
What about me?? You can have his back and out that fast and you give me no response?

I hope i get this same treatment.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I've pretty much fixed everything on it now. I'm not that concerned with how she looks right now... I just want to get it on the car.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
I've pretty much fixed everything on it now. I'm not that concerned with how she looks right now... I just want to get it on the car.

But I'm not that way. If i pay for a product i want to receive it the way it's supposed to come. So mine will be mailed back to you first thing on Monday.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM

Yup thats perfectly fine too MySS... sorry i didnt include you when i told him to send his back... yours will be repairs also, ill ensure that the "wall" is ported nicely on your manifold and the coating is refinished.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
If you would pay for one day shipping each way and could have it back to me by the 8th... that's the only way.

Yes, it is very frustrating to drop $500+ on something only for it to turn out like that. My key frustration. I was an avid supporter of Vulcan too... they appeared to offer an outstanding product that A LOT of people will start buying here in the next couple years...

You guys REALLY need to correct these issues. You are Hahn's only competition... and they offer a Manifold that comes with the needed hardware (Studs, Nuts, DIRECT MAP PORT, ETC) that will easily bolt in in less than 20 minutes. Time to step up your game.

Indeed. Attention to Detail is an amazing thing...

...and Complacency Kills
while i think the quality of there products is lacking, i don't think they can live up to mil spec
Old 05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Yup thats perfectly fine too MySS... sorry i didnt include you when i told him to send his back... yours will be repairs also, ill ensure that the "wall" is ported nicely on your manifold and the coating is refinished.
Okay, thanks Vulcan. Like i said it will be shipped out monday. So expect it tuesday wednesday at the latest.

Oh and could you do me one more favor? I have an exhaust manifold being done by you as well. I'm kind of hoping i don't have to go through this with that manifold too. I'm going to PM you my information and would appreciate it if you would look up my order. Since i haven't received my exhaust manifold is there a way you could pull it and QA it personally before it's shipped? Maybe this can save us both A LOT of wasted time.

Thanks Vulcan.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Banned

Vulcan please check your PMs thank you.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought your name said my sis is faster.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:21 PM

got everyones PM's and everyone should be taken care of! Thanks for the orders guys! I apologize for letting these slip out. Well get em fixed up and out the door right away.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM

got everyones PM's and everyone should be taken care of! Thanks for the orders guys! I apologize for letting these slip out. Well get em fixed up and out the door right away.
It seems like your doing everything you can to fix this... +1 in my book.

Have there been any reported problems with the tubular turbo mani? I know something was changed per a customers measurements... was this resolved?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Nope our tubular manifolds have been fitting excellent! The only problem we did have was some of the head flanges were slightly off on the bolt holes causing a difficult install. We began using a new flange supplier and changed the designed for elongated holes to prevent this problem! Im willing to do anything we can to get our products to the top... cant start as the best, so were resolving all the hiccups we can along the way. Thanks again everyone... if anyone noticed we just released a new cooling product as well that A LOT have been asking for. Contact us or Over The Top Performance to order.

Quick Reply: LSJ+Vulcan I/M=FAIL