2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Mobil 1 or Royal Purple??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onyxd04Redline
Group 4 > Group 3
Indeed it is!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:20 AM

Talking

I am an engineer at a large chemical company and I have had very personal experience with royal purple. So much that they have developed a custom oil for me to use in my process pumps which can handle the emulsification that occurs in a high Ph situation. With that being said, let me give you a little analogy. Running a really high quality oil is kind of like being in a huge room with thousands and thousands of tiny little ball bearings on the floor. The better the oil, the closer the ball bearings will be in size to each other. A less expensive oil will have ball bearings that are all different sizes. Now you walk into that room, I'd be willing to bet you would have a harder time walking on the surface where all the ball bearings are the same size. Same goes for higher quality oils. When you put a high quality oil into your car the slipping resistance is far less than a lower quality oil. As far as Royal Purple goes. Just try it in your car. I guarantee that after 5K miles it will be the exact same purple color that it was when you put it in. If that doesnt make you a believer, buy some cheap oil and some royal purple. Put them both in 2 different bottles of water as a 50/50 mixture. Shake them both vigorously, and look to see which oil returns from emulsification (mixing) quicker.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by lewisb13
I am an engineer at a large chemical company and I have had very personal experience with royal purple. So much that they have developed a custom oil for me to use in my process pumps which can handle the emulsification that occurs in a high Ph situation. With that being said, let me give you a little analogy. Running a really high quality oil is kind of like being in a huge room with thousands and thousands of tiny little ball bearings on the floor. The better the oil, the closer the ball bearings will be in size to each other. A less expensive oil will have ball bearings that are all different sizes. Now you walk into that room, I'd be willing to bet you would have a harder time walking on the surface where all the ball bearings are the same size. Same goes for higher quality oils. When you put a high quality oil into your car the slipping resistance is far less than a lower quality oil. As far as Royal Purple goes. Just try it in your car. I guarantee that after 5K miles it will be the exact same purple color that it was when you put it in. If that doesnt make you a believer, buy some cheap oil and some royal purple. Put them both in 2 different bottles of water as a 50/50 mixture. Shake them both vigorously, and look to see which oil returns from emulsification (mixing) quicker.
That being said, what is your opinion on RP vs. Mobil 1?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:30 AM

Wink

What is the cost difference between RP and Mobile 1 per quart?

I had a grand am before this car and I was using Royal Purple in it. It was crazy. I would do oil changes after about 5K and it would be beautifully purple coming out of the engine. Looked brand new! I felt like I was throwing away good oil. So I kept some of the Royal Purple right out of the drain plug and I had one of the guys who works for me throw it on a $30K oil analyzer that we have at work and I also had him test a brand new sample of the royal purple. There was almost no change in chemistry, viscosity, or additive breakdown. As soon as I get my first oil change with my BALT using Mobile 1 Ill do the same test and post the results from both. My baby only has 1008 miles on it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 AM

What is the cost difference between RP and Mobile 1 per quart?

I had a grand am before this car and I was using Royal Purple in it. It was crazy. I would do oil changes after about 5K and it would be beautifully purple coming out of the engine. Looked brand new! I felt like I was throwing away good oil. So I kept some of the Royal Purple right out of the drain plug and I had one of the guys who works for me throw it on a $30K oil analyzer that we have at work and I also had him test a brand new sample of the royal purple. There was almost no change in chemistry, viscosity, or additive breakdown. As soon as I get my first oil change with my BALT using Mobile 1 Ill do the same test and post the results from both. My baby only has 1008 miles on it.
Actually I meant quality wise.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:34 AM

I know what you meant, but i dont have enough information to give you a good answer. Once i can compare the oil analysis of the 2 different oils there will probably be a hands down winner. I was just saying i have had excellent relations with RP. I know the president personally. They put a lottttttt of money into that product. Whats the price difference?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 AM

Well I use Mobil 1 extended performance. I change my oil every 10k miles. No sludge, everything is nice and clean. Better bang for the buck IMO. My track times were the same the first day I put it in as they were 7k later.

RP is too expensive, too many oil changes. However it is supposed to be the ultimate oil. I say if you are running your car at the track the week before do a oil change to RP and then hit the track.

Otherwise Mobil 1 extended performance is the bomb
Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 AM

no one likes pennzoil platinum? i think who ever is using mobil 1, needs to try it.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 AM

This is why I use Amsoil... run 6000km's change the filter, and then go another 6000km's.
Even then, 12000km's on a group 4 style oil is still peanuts for it.
Guys... the advantage to our style of filter (being on top of the engine), is that we don't **** out oil when we change it. Best to take advantage of it.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
This is why I use Amsoil... run 6000km's change the filter, and then go another 6000km's.
Even then, 12000km's on a group 4 style oil is still peanuts for it.
Guys... the advantage to our style of filter (being on top of the engine), is that we don't **** out oil when we change it. Best to take advantage of it.
You can do this on any car really. On most cars and trucks you will lose very little oil by simply just changing the filter. Might have to add around a half a quart but that ii it.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:32 AM

If the oil stays purple then where's the crud?? Gasoline powered engines, unlike LP powered engines contaminate the oil from the use of cruddy fuel. The oil should turn dark. The oil captures the crud and that's why you change it. If the oil doesn't get dark, it's not catching and holding the crud (stuff the filter won't catch) for you to drain it. An LP delivery truck that runs on LP can go 25,000 miles and good old conventional oil will drain out like it had just been poured in. Propane (LP) is clean and gasoline is cruddy.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
If the oil stays purple then where's the crud?? Gasoline powered engines, unlike LP powered engines contaminate the oil from the use of cruddy fuel. The oil should turn dark. The oil captures the crud and that's why you change it. If the oil doesn't get dark, it's not catching and holding the crud (stuff the filter won't catch) for you to drain it. An LP delivery truck that runs on LP can go 25,000 miles and good old conventional oil will drain out like it had just been poured in. Propane (LP) is clean and gasoline is cruddy.
I agree, and I have never seen RP stay purple and have been useing it for years. I actually noticed that it goes in purple, but after you start your car it will tend to have more of a yellow, normal, look to it when you check your oil. I will state though that RP is a amaizing oil, not the M1 isnt, but I just prefer RP.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:08 PM

I tried Royal Purple didn't feel any difference
Old 08-16-2007, 02:19 PM

I use mobil 1 in the motor and have RP in my rear (not what you think you pervs ) No real problems with the oil changes, looks good when the mobil 1 comes out. As for the RP in the rear, I swear by that stuff. We had a bit of a rear whine before we put it in and when we did, it went away completely.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
If you have gasoline coming into contact at any point in time with your oil you have SERIOUS problems. Oil turns black because of heat. Oil additives in common engine oil tend to separate around a constant temp of about 270 F. Granted our cars only run like 190F or whatever, extended periods of 190F cause the oil to break down eventually.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 AM

If you have gasoline coming into contact at any point in time with your oil you have SERIOUS problems. Oil turns black because of heat. Oil additives in common engine oil tend to separate around a constant temp of about 270 F. Granted our cars only run like 190F or whatever, extended periods of 190F cause the oil to break down eventually.
Thats your water temp bubah.

All kidding aside RP is superior to Mobile 1 in all respects. I have no idea how far I can run my T/A on a single change fo RP but I change the oil once a year right after I pull it out of winter storage, which consists of me pushing it out and chainging the oil on the spot then turning the motor over after repriming the fuel system. Take the oil to get analyzed back when it was a DD and after 6K on teh same change the guy said my oil was still very clean and looked brand new compared to a fresh bottle I brought with me. So I just changed the filter and added the oil lost by doing that. I went 20K before the guy said. "Hey your oil is beginning to break down finally."

Now mind you I was driving over 100miles a day in my Trans Am and I wasn't racing, much but also this was cool fall - spring weather. Take what I say with a grian of salt though. But at least listen to this. After changing over to RP in stock form, I gained 4mpg. That kinf od economy gain will more than make up for the cost of RP oil.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have tried quaker Q anyone else? I liked it but I didnt have time to do my own oil change so my last one I did I ended up going to GM goodwrench and got mobile 1
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM

I've never used Quakerstate since I saw the oil pan of a ford 460 when I helped rebuild it. There was enough perafin, sludge, and other general **** in the bottom that it sucked into the oil pump and ruined it.

The only reason it was even in she shop is the guy that owned it said and I quote. "I pulled the drain plug but nothing happens." Since I know his son personally and he works with hsi father on a farm to this day I know the truck got it's oil changed every 3000 miles if not sooner. That however has been years ago and Quaker State has don a lot to clean up their act. I might use some here in the future in my work truck. If it's cheaper than what I'm using currently for it. Valvoline.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM

16K miles so far. Dealership changed my oil at 5K, I did it at 10K and at 15K. I used 6.5 quarts of Royal Purple and added a bottle of Zmax each time I changed my oil. I will continue to do this same process each and every 5K miles.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM

royal purple is great i used it in my trans am ever since i owned it. i put it in the wifes cobalt 2.2 and i will be using it in my cobalt as soon as this weekend hits. great stuff.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:28 PM

royal purple

I think that royal purple is alot better than mobil

I also think that everyone should use purple ice and trans fluid form royal purple.

I will never go back
Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 PM

i just switched or to royal purple and what a huge difference over mobil 1, start ups are so much smoother, the car feels better under excelleration. and i did the tranny as well w/ rp, smoother shifts everything. the difference for me was night and day. royal purple ftw.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:41 PM

royal purple with K&N oil filter is what I normally run in everything...

the bike gets amsoil and K&N oil filter

I'd never run pennzoil in anything I own....not even lawnmowers or weedeaters

Last edited by Summerwolf; 08-19-2007 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

Go amsoil, you can go 12 months or 22,000 miles on oil and 6mo unlimited miles on filter, ITS WORTH IT!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:42 PM

GM uses Mobil 1 in their R&D, so that's what I use. But Royal Purple is good too, if you have the extra cash.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 or Royal Purple??