2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Mobil 1 or Royal Purple??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt5SS
I think that royal purple is alot better than mobil

I also think that everyone should use purple ice and trans fluid form royal purple.

I will never go back
The only thing I won't agree with is using the coolant additive. I've tried Redline Water Wetter and other similar products. All have increased the coolant temps.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 AM

i saw my coolant temp go down on the digital gage in the cobalt
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Oil turns black not only from the heat but from the by products of combustion such as carbon. Please tell me why in a gasoline engine the oil can turn black in say 3,000 miles and change very little in color, if any, at all in a propane fueled engine after even 25,000 miles. Another example: Diesel fueled engines always have black oil. If it's not black right after you change it, it will be very shortly. Oils have detergents in them that are there to keep the engine clean and clean up behind the nasty cruddy fuels such as gasoline and diesel. Liquid fuel does not come into contact with the oil but after combustion deposits are left on the cylinder wall that can and do get by the rings and are pulled down into the oil. Royal Purple apparently doesn't have any or has very little detergents to clean up behind the cruddy fuels we most commonly use.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
Oil turns black not only from the heat but from the by products of combustion such as carbon. Please tell me why in a gasoline engine the oil can turn black in say 3,000 miles and change very little in color, if any, at all in a propane fueled engine after even 25,000 miles. Another example: Diesel fueled engines always have black oil. If it's not black right after you change it, it will be very shortly. Oils have detergents in them that are there to keep the engine clean and clean up behind the nasty cruddy fuels such as gasoline and diesel. Liquid fuel does not come into contact with the oil but after combustion deposits are left on the cylinder wall that can and do get by the rings and are pulled down into the oil. Royal Purple apparently doesn't have any or has very little detergents to clean up behind the cruddy fuels we most commonly use.
Diesel engines oil get black due to soot from the process of combustion of diesel fuel. Alot of this is formed from the sulfer that is found in diesel, this is why 2007 ASTM fuel standards have limited the amount of sulfer that can be in diesel, and is also why there is a boom in the biodiesel industry. Biodiesel has next to no sulfer in it, and burns about 20% cleaner than petro diesel. By runing B5 (5%biodiesel 95% petro) or B20 the emissions and durabilty of diesel engines has been increased along with the life of oil in diesel motors as well.

Royal Purple does actually have just as many if not more detergents as any other synthetic oil. This is why it carrys the same SAE rating as mobil one and various other oils. The SAE is the society of automotive engineers, and they are responsible for testing and providing certifcations for all oils, synthetic and conventional, on the U.S. market today. RP would not recive this certification if it was not worthy of it, and let me add that I am not saying Mobil 1 or Amsoil are bad oils. They are both very respectiable, but GM does have a deal to with Mobil 1 that they make a ton of money off of. This is why all GM's high perfomance machines are filled with Mobil 1 from the factory, which is not a bad thing. RP is just as good of a oil as them if not better, and to say that it has low amounts of detergents is ludicris. You need to learn a little more about what your are talking about and maybe read the back of bottle of RP before you trash talk them. You can even google SAE and maybe start to understand some of what your are trying to talk about. Then you will see how wrong you are.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by HViper
Diesel engines oil get black due to soot from the process of combustion of diesel fuel. Alot of this is formed from the sulfer that is found in diesel, this is why 2007 ASTM fuel standards have limited the amount of sulfer that can be in diesel, and is also why there is a boom in the biodiesel industry. Biodiesel has next to no sulfer in it, and burns about 20% cleaner than petro diesel. By runing B5 (5%biodiesel 95% petro) or B20 the emissions and durabilty of diesel engines has been increased along with the life of oil in diesel motors as well.

Royal Purple does actually have just as many if not more detergents as any other synthetic oil. This is why it carrys the same SAE rating as mobil one and various other oils. The SAE is the society of automotive engineers, and they are responsible for testing and providing certifcations for all oils, synthetic and conventional, on the U.S. market today. RP would not recive this certification if it was not worthy of it, and let me add that I am not saying Mobil 1 or Amsoil are bad oils. They are both very respectiable, but GM does have a deal to with Mobil 1 that they make a ton of money off of. This is why all GM's high perfomance machines are filled with Mobil 1 from the factory, which is not a bad thing. RP is just as good of a oil as them if not better, and to say that it has low amounts of detergents is ludicris. You need to learn a little more about what your are talking about and maybe read the back of bottle of RP before you trash talk them. You can even google SAE and maybe start to understand some of what your are trying to talk about. Then you will see how wrong you are.
OK, I didn't talk trash or bash RP. I only suggested that maybe they don't have the detergents (suggested it b/c I don't know). They do make oils that have no detergents. Also, just like soot from diesel combustion, gasoline combustion isn't all that much cleaner; propane burns clean.

BTW, this will be the end of my debate about oil contamination. That's not what this thread is about and I wish not to jack the thread over that.

Last edited by CobaltCoupeCrazy; 08-22-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 AM

what about RP XPR 5w30? has anyon1 tried that?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
OK, I didn't talk trash or bash RP. I only suggested that maybe they don't have the detergents (suggested it b/c I don't know). They do make oils that have no detergents. Also, just like soot from diesel combustion, gasoline combustion isn't all that much cleaner; propane burns clean.

BTW, this will be the end of my debate about oil contamination. That's not what this thread is about and I wish not to jack the thread over that.

That'd be a few of their race oils where the detergents would turn into corrosive material due to the fuels being used. That and NitroMeth class cars change the oil every run or two because honestly, NM is absolute hell on a motor.

Here's a little tidbit form a friend of mine that lives in CO.

So...since they switched their 'fully synthetic' oil line to a Basestock III, I have noticed something.

Older bottle on the right and a newer bottle on the left....

Notice how much smaller the words "Fully Synthetic" have gotten??
This is because Mobil jumped another oil company for switching to a Basestock III from a Basestock IV years ago. Even landed in court as I understand it.
Well....Mobil didn't prevail.

So over the last couple years, Mobil 1 also switched to Basestock III....which means it passes as a full synthetic in the states, but it wouldn't in Europe.
Just some food for thought when you see Mobil 1 sitting on the shelf for $6.50 a quart. Still a great oil, just that Mobil didn't lower their prices when they swtiched to the lower basestock.

Basicly....it is $2 a quart too much. And a little thin, but unless you have some SERIOUSLY extreme cold, that shouldn't matter much.

Discuss
Hey Mobile is good oil, just they've been under new management for a few years now. I'd rather have some old guy who dones't give a damn about costs to give us the best than hsi son who went to harvard and wants to run a business as cheaply as possible.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-27-2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-21-2007, 01:23 AM

We are looking at a 1 gallon oil container and a 5 qt container, both of which are still available. Notice the new SuperSyn 5qt container has the larger "Fully Synthetic" printed lower on the label (not smaller).