2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Motor in my DD blew today....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by 06black
Rod, i'll get back in on this and back with you in a hour or so, more meetings to attend......
That cool as I am about to take a meeting too, with the back of my eye-lids
I was up at 4:30am and this happened at 5:25am, so it is best for me to go back to bed for awhile and start the day over again.

Originally Posted by 2K5SS/SC?
Rod, I really feel bad for you. (no homo) Maybe you can get the wifey to have some "happy time" with you before the nap, and then work on the car later. Don't tell her it's blown until you know for sure. If it is the supercharger though, now would be a good time for that TVS without getting you into trouble!
Nookie is the cure to everything, isn't it???

Too bad the TVS isn't readily available yet as I need to be running ASAP.
My alternative vehicle is my Silverado which will cost me $250/week in gas at least. That is very bad.

Last edited by victory_red_SS; 04-16-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
That cool as I am about to take a meeting too, with the back of my eye-lids
I was up at 4:30am and this happened at 5:25am, so it is best for me to go back to bed for awhile and start the day over again.

Nookie is the cure to everything, isn't it???

Too bad the TVS isn't readily available yet as I need to be running ASAP.
My alternative vehicle is my Silverado which will cost me $250/week in gas at least. That is very bad.
$250/wk in gas is very bad! Yikes! However it is a lot better than not having a backup vehicle at all. That is why my daily driver is my 04 Colorado. $50/wk in gas for 87 octane! Still a bit steep for me, but a lot more doable than $250!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

$250/wk in gas is very bad! Yikes! However it is a lot better than not having a backup vehicle at all. That is why my daily driver is my 04 Colorado. $50/wk in gas for 87 octane! Still a bit steep for me, but a lot more doable than $250!
Yes I could find better ways to spend that kind of money.

The wife said if I hadn't been on here for the past 30 minutes then I could have had nookie. Now she needs to go to work.
She asked me what was wrong and I told her "you don't want to know", so she left it alone. I love this lady.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Yes I could find better ways to spend that kind of money.

The wife said if I hadn't been on here for the past 30 minutes then I could have had nookie. Now she needs to go to work.
She asked me what was wrong and I told her "you don't want to know", so she left it alone. I love this lady.
Damn it you should have stopped posting and gone to town! Nookie is not the cure for everything, but it is certainly a great way to release some stress. Hell, just go pin her up against the wall and make her a few minutes late for work! Do it... do it!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM

funny thing is that he hasnt come back lol
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM

No smell/smoke/water.
It all seems normal.

The wife would kill me for a 3rd Cobalt even a 3rd engine but the engine will likely be what I order.

I want to know too but when things go wrong, I find a nap prepares me for the worst. I am getting my cup on as I type. The wife just got out of bed. Maybe I need to just do her first, to make her all giddy

Other symptoms.

Oil light on, battery light on and the serpentine belt not spinning at all. The belt is tight and turns by hand with normal pressure.
i had this problem on my last motor rod, crank pulley is loose, it probably busted the keyway insert, check that first, once you determine if that is the problem, check the actuall keyway itself, when mine broke it took a chunk out of the crankshaft, i'll try to find pics later.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Damn it you should have stopped posting and gone to town! Nookie is not the cure for everything, but it is certainly a great way to release some stress. Hell, just go pin her up against the wall and make her a few minutes late for work! Do it... do it!
Originally Posted by sick06cobalt
funny thing is that he hasnt come back lol
A fellow has got to do what a fellow has got to do.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM

were you running the jbp crank pulley?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
i had this problem on my last motor rod, crank pulley is loose, it probably busted the keyway insert, check that first, once you determine if that is the problem, check the actuall keyway itself, when mine broke it took a chunk out of the crankshaft, i'll try to find pics later.
Interesting. Thanks.
This could explain why nothing is spinning on the belt, yet I can hand turn the belt easy enough.
Off comes the tire as I will be checking this out.
What was you solution???

Originally Posted by lsjwannabe
were you running the jbp crank pulley?
I am but lets no jump to conclusions until this is checked out.
If this is the problem, it could be as simple as the mechanic who installed the pulley, not tightening the crank bolt.

Last edited by victory_red_SS; 04-16-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM

I was just wondering becuase that could be a reason it was left un tightened, becuase you had replaced it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Interesting. Thanks.
This could explain why nothing is spinning on the belt, yet I can hand turn the belt easy enough.
What was you solution???

I am but lets no jump to conclusions until this is checked out.
If this is the problem, it could be as simple as the mechanic who installed the pulley, not tightening the crank bolt.
I was thinking about this as well while I was typing my last PM. I'd be willing to put money on it if that is the case. I didn't know you had a JBP crank pulley on there. The aluminum keyway slot might have let loose, or the bolt could have very well come undone!

Oh, and a man certainly has to do what he has to do! I hope this means Rod is and Rod Jr. are temporarily happy!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I was just wondering becuase that could be a reason it was left un tightened, becuase you had replaced it.
And what an expensive mistake if they left it un-tightened
Especially if they key way is now broken.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 AM

Your dipstick was not poped was it?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I was thinking about this as well while I was typing my last PM. I'd be willing to put money on it if that is the case. I didn't know you had a JBP crank pulley on there. The aluminum keyway slot might have let loose, or the bolt could have very well come undone!

Oh, and a man certainly has to do what he has to do! I hope this means Rod is and Rod Jr. are temporarily happy!
At least until I yank the car into the garage and discover the problem.

Your dipstick was not poped was it?
The dipstick was fine. I have taken another's advice and had the crankcase vented by installing a catch can.

Last edited by victory_red_SS; 04-16-2008 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM

good call, well let us know how it goes.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM

At least until I yank the car into the garage and discover the problem.

The dipstick was fine. I have taken another's advice and had the crankcase vented by installing a catch can.
Atta Boy Rod! You lucky son of a bitch! I have to wait another 2 1/2 months before I can even think about getting some!

I will be doing something similar myself for venting the crank when I get back.

If the pulley is aluminum like I think it is, then that would strip before the crank would. I hope this is your problem and that you have the stock pulley nearby with another key.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

good call, well let us know how it goes.
I will. I am having my nap now and I should have some answers in about 3-4 hours.

Atta Boy Rod! You lucky son of a bitch! I have to wait another 2 1/2 months before I can even think about getting some!

I will be doing something similar myself for venting the crank when I get back.

If the pulley is aluminum like I think it is, then that would strip before the crank would. I hope this is your problem and that you have the stock pulley nearby with another key.
I have it here and wouldn't that be great if it was that simple?

Last edited by victory_red_SS; 04-16-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Other symptoms.

Oil light on, battery light on and the serpentine belt not spinning at all. The belt is tight and turns by hand with normal pressure.
If the belt is not spinning and you can easily turn the pullies I would agree with jimbos'ss - sounds like the crank has a problem. Belt not spinning and no oil pressure definatly points to something relating to something on the crank not spinning.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Interesting. Thanks.
What was you solution???

the solution for me was to swap in my other crankshaft, because the keyway had a chunk torn out, if yours only broke the key way insert your good, just drain the oil, pull the crank pulley, then pull the timing chain cover, after that pull the cam gear off the cranks put in a new keyway insert. the insert only costs like $12 from gm.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM

What were you doing when it blew?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amen. I used to drive 105 miles a day round trip, and I spent tons of money in gas. And thing is, my SS is my one and only car. I'm 21, live in a decent apartment, and its all I can afford for now. But (knock on wood), its been a good car to me thisfar (42k on it). But now I carpool and only drive once every 4 days......so I barely put any miles on my car anymore.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by rnjmur
If the belt is not spinning and you can easily turn the pullies I would agree with jimbos'ss - sounds like the crank has a problem. Belt not spinning and no oil pressure definatly points to something relating to something on the crank not spinning.
That is the conclusion I am about to go confirm.
the solution for me was to swap in my other crankshaft, because the keyway had a chunk torn out, if yours only broke the key way insert your good, just drain the oil, pull the crank pulley, then pull the timing chain cover, after that pull the cam gear off the cranks put in a new keyway insert. the insert only costs like $12 from gm.
Sounds like a bit of work just the same, but preferable to replacing the crank.

Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
What were you doing when it blew?
Having fun
Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
goddamn man, just saw this thread now, but yeah it definitely sounds like the crank issue is the problem, just hope it didn't snap the crank itself since the oil pump is driven off the front there too...
If ya end up needing another stock crank, I do have an extra
Old 04-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm selling my car

Good luck with yours
Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
I'm selling my car

Good luck with yours
Quitter!

Rod, any verdict yet?

Quick Reply: Motor in my DD blew today....