2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

New plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New plans

well i tried to get a SS/TC but none of my family would not co sign

so i got a few months left to pay off my car so thatll be nice

1. first off i need a new clutch so im thinking of gettin the ZZP stage 2 clutch.. (already got LW FW)

2. then stage 1 axles from ZZP

3. Meth injection

4. and maybe a better header downpipe combo
Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 AM

or turbo swap it and you can have your TC. lol or save up for the TVS and smoke some fools thinking your a stock SS/SC
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM

yea maybe a TVS down the road...maybe i can find a good used one... i dont wanna turbo swap and have a bunch of problems
Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM

yeah i hear what you mean, lol im in the same boat turbo swap or TVS cuz i got all the cooling mods they make for this damn car.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MP Cobalt
yeah i hear what you mean, lol im in the same boat turbo swap or TVS cuz i got all the cooling mods they make for this damn car.
how u like that header and downpipe??
Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 AM

you could switch from a dual pass to a single pass and gain about 8hp according to zzp's logs in using thier new manifold.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Go TVS
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltVenomSS
yea maybe a TVS down the road...maybe i can find a good used one... i dont wanna turbo swap and have a bunch of problems
So you'd rather TVS swap and have a bunch of problems?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
So you'd rather TVS swap and have a bunch of problems?
haha well ive just heard the reliability goes way down when u turbo swap
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

how u like that header and downpipe??
The header and downpipe are nice. I like it, but with it being catless and the vibrant catback it gets real loud and even louder at WOT. what header downpipe you got now?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

The header and downpipe are nice. I like it, but with it being catless and the vibrant catback it gets real loud and even louder at WOT. what header downpipe you got now?
i have a ZZp shorty and catted downpipe... nothing to serious...
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 AM

i have a ZZp shorty and catted downpipe... nothing to serious...
I was thinking about picking up the catted downpipe for my header from my buddy, but idk yet I like the catless cuz it free's the exhaust alot more but then its super loud with 1 7/8 primaries to 3 in the whole way. lol
Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM

I was thinking about picking up the catted downpipe for my header from my buddy, but idk yet I like the catless cuz it free's the exhaust alot more but then its super loud with 1 7/8 primaries to 3 in the whole way. lol
thats why i like my setup..its only loud when ur WOT...sounds stock just driving just with a better tone
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM

thats why i like my setup..its only loud when ur WOT...sounds stock just driving just with a better tone
yeah i might pick up the catted downpipe for that purpose.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only when people half ass it. shitty ebay intercoolers, chinese wastegates, weak clamps on the piping instead of vband, too small or too large of a turbo, thinking gmr or jbp cams will increase power..hahaha. the setup on my car has been on another car for the past 2 years. same turbo, same setup, no problems.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I say TVS with meth. Keep it simple and you're car will still be an animal
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
only when people half ass it. shitty ebay intercoolers, chinese wastegates, weak clamps on the piping instead of vband, too small or too large of a turbo, thinking gmr or jbp cams will increase power..hahaha. the setup on my car has been on another car for the past 2 years. same turbo, same setup, no problems.
what did you do with your 06 m62 balt?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

it got totalled in january in a snow storm
Old 09-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

That's why you don't listen to people that don't know what they're talking about. I've been turbo swapped for a year and a half now. No mechanical problems or reliability issues whatsoever that were related to the Turbo Swap/System.

Yeah, reliability problems come from Half Assed set-ups... but they also come from lack of knowledge/experience/etc when it comes to turboing LSJ's.

eBay (CXRacing) intercoolers actually work pretty good...

As do the eBay "Chinese" wastegates...

Weak Clamps instead of V-Band? What? A bolt together, flanged exhaust system will run just as well as a V-Band Exhaust System. The only real advantage to the V-band set-up, is ease of assembly & disassembly. As far as charge piping, T-Bolts should be used, not Worm Clamps.

GMR or JBP cams will increase power... they'll usually destroy your lifters in the process since almost all of them are regrinds.

And IIRC, the car that your set-up was previously on did NOT run well. He was always in the shop with problems. It might not have all been turbo related, but I know the shitty placement of the MAF most likely didn't help.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 09-13-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:46 PM

anyone have experience with the stage 2 zzp clutch??
Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
eBay (CXRacing) intercoolers actually work pretty good...

As do the eBay "Chinese" wastegates...

Weak Clamps instead of V-Band? What? A bolt together, flanged exhaust system will run just as well as a V-Band Exhaust System. The only real advantage to the V-band set-up, is ease of assembly & disassembly. As far as charge piping, T-Bolts should be used, not Worm Clamps.

GMR or JBP cams will increase power... they'll usually destroy your lifters in the process since almost all of them are regrinds.

And IIRC, the car that your set-up was previously on did NOT run well. He was always in the shop with problems. It might not have all been turbo related, but I know the shitty placement of the MAF most likely didn't help.
i'm refering to ebay and chinese as just a cheap, "hey this bov is $20 i'll get it!", horribly assembled parts. vband-top of the line. weak clamps-(worm gear)piping blows off. gmr and jbp are blower grind cams, they will not help a turbo setup. the reason the the guy had trouble with the setup on my car now is cause he didn't have some of the lines ran properly. stu's fixed them and hasn't had any trouble, nor have i.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM

TVS + Stage 2 Clutch + Stage 1 axles + Awesome Tune = pwr untill redline

Can't go wrong with that setup :
Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

i'm refering to ebay and chinese as just a cheap, "hey this bov is $20 i'll get it!", horribly assembled parts. vband-top of the line. weak clamps-(worm gear)piping blows off. gmr and jbp are blower grind cams, they will not help a turbo setup. the reason the the guy had trouble with the setup on my car now is cause he didn't have some of the lines ran properly. stu's fixed them and hasn't had any trouble, nor have i.
Yeah, okay... well I'm just saying that the CXRacing "eBay" Intercooler is actually a very decent product. They have good cores that work well. Perfectly acceptable for a starting out on a budget build. You won't have reliability issues because of one.

And the same goes for the eBay Wastegates. I've seen a number of cars run them for extended periods of time with absolutely no problem; my car included. I ran one on my car when I first swapped it... had planned on running the internal that came with the Turbo, but the actuator hit my water pump, so I had to switch to external... ordered a "eBay POS" just to get the car on the road and moving. Ended up running it for the entire span of that turbo set-up because I had Zero issues with it (20k miles). Had a TiAL sitting on my shelf for months because there was no reason to swap it out. The eBay one opened up 3-5psi before the set point and always held boost superbly.

And V-band is nice, my entire exhaust set-up, aside from the T3 flange, is V-Band... but going with traditional bolt-on exhaust isn't going to cause reliability issues... you're just going to have more bolts to remove when you take your **** apart.

And I know about some of the previous owners problems. Well aware of them. I'm just straightening up the facts... you said he had NO problems. Like I said, it wasn't because he was turbo swapped... it was because someone did the **** wrong.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM

USMC u got any videos of your car in action? i may turbo swap next year if i dont get a bike.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Not since I cranked it to 22psi and custom tuned it. My stock fuel pump is maxed though... I'll be swapping that out for a Walbro here soon... then swapping to E85.

Here's some older vids...

2-Step... just for fun: YouTube - 2-Step Flame

Racing my buddies RX-7. He brake boosted and I didn't, just to make it more of a fair race. With it being so dark, I don't think you get a feel for how fast it goes, though. Race doesn't start until like 35 seconds in: YouTube - 05 Cobalt SS vs RX-7 - 45mph Roll

And here's an 18psi, base tune Fly-By: YouTube - Turbo Cobalt

I'll make some more videos of it in a day or two. I'm just lazy. It rolls out pretty good though. I was screwing around on the interstate the other day... using 5th gear I did 90-140mph in 10 seconds. Haha. Not bad for 5th gear. 60-100mph is 4.5 seconds, and that was pedaling at the top of 2nd because I was losing traction.

Beat my friend's GT3071R 7M Supra from a Dig in the 1/4 mile. I've been trying to get a R6 or GSX-R600 to race me... no luck. They all puss out. My friend with the Supra says he runs side by side with them... so I should walk one. Meh. I still wanna see it.

Quick Reply: New plans