2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Official TVS Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SSfamilywagon
Very cool comparison! Your buddys set-up is basically my our car which made that power last year on the 2.9 and small intake/exhaust.

I have a personal goal of trying to get 360-370 from stock/head and cams. When we dyno next we'll have more fuel, bigger intake, bigger exhaust, 2.6 pulley, LS4, BS delete, 4.45's, springs, 8k rev limit. I really hoping I'll hit the #'s and don't see why I shouldn't.

We plan on doing ported head/cams next year as I don't wanna go with any of ZZp's specs. Wanna do a custom set and have them set-up/dialed in right.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't hit your goals. He should hit 350whp or so without much trouble when he has adequate fueling, so with the extra goodies you plan to do, and a header with a 3" collector I don't see it being out of reach. You can see his power flatline as soon as it climbs lean.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
360 to 370 has been done why shoot for something that has already been done there is power to be had in valve train
Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InfraRedline
I don't see any reason why you couldn't hit your goals. He should hit 350whp or so without much trouble when he has adequate fueling, so with the extra goodies you plan to do, and a header with a 3" collector I don't see it being out of reach. You can see his power flatline as soon as it climbs lean.
I see that. I'm confident I can hit the goal myself. I'm actually shooting for higher closer to 380 but need to realistic LOL. On stock cams and stock head will be a challenge.

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
360 to 370 has been done why shoot for something that has already been done there is power to be had in valve train
Highest Ported Head/stock cams/bolt ons is= 374/315

Highest Stock head/stock cams/bolt ons is=348

I'm shooting for more then both those staying stock head/stock cams, hoping 380/300+, well because all our money is going to finishing the fuel system, doing the 4.45's and tying up loose ends.

Unfortunately we won't have money to do a ported head or cams or both till next year since I want to do them right.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
whelp the cobalt officially has a tvs on it w/a 2.7 pulley..... and a few other little things. more work on the way.
probably get to tuning it tuesday night. dyno in a few weeks
Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

I see that. I'm confident I can hit the goal myself. I'm actually shooting for higher closer to 380 but need to realistic LOL. On stock cams and stock head will be a challenge.

I'm shooting for more then both those staying stock head/stock cams, hoping 380/300+, well because all our money is going to finishing the fuel system, doing the 4.45's and tying up loose ends.

Unfortunately we won't have money to do a ported head or cams or both till next year since I want to do them right.
I believe someone did 360hp on complete stock engine again why keep beating a dead horse
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM

Because we don't have money to do the head and get nice cams installed correctly.

Trust me, we'd love to do valve train
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
I believe someone did 360hp on complete stock engine again why keep beating a dead horse
Yup, I believe Area hit the 360 mark with stock engine and C16.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:35 AM

To me there is some value in a car that can make decent power and still get driven every day, or at least whenever the owner wants, even if a couple people have done a similar setup in the past or made the same power. You look at so many of these TVS builds that have high hopes and so much work into them and all these crazy parts, and they don't seem to hold up long enough to get them dialed in and onto the dyno, at least not yet. So for that extra 20-30whp potentially, is it worth having the car down and torn apart so much? That depends on the person, but like I said, to me it is not. I definitely can appreciate the guys that are trying out all these new things, and I hope they keep pushing forward, so don't get me wrong there. But for me, I sure as hell enjoyed driving my just over 370whp basic TVS/ported head setup that was a killer on the street and I could drive it every day and not have a worry, and it went hard for 3 years getting more of a workout than probably just about any car on the forums And the motor still runs to this day. That's just my 2 cents, so don't jump on someone just because they want some good reliable power
Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

To me there is some value in a car that can make decent power and still get driven every day, or at least whenever the owner wants, even if a couple people have done a similar setup in the past or made the same power. You look at so many of these TVS builds that have high hopes and so much work into them and all these crazy parts, and they don't seem to hold up long enough to get them dialed in and onto the dyno, at least not yet. So for that extra 20-30whp potentially, is it worth having the car down and torn apart so much? That depends on the person, but like I said, to me it is not. I definitely can appreciate the guys that are trying out all these new things, and I hope they keep pushing forward, so don't get me wrong there. But for me, I sure as hell enjoyed driving my just over 370whp basic TVS/ported head setup that was a killer on the street and I could drive it every day and not have a worry, and it went hard for 3 years getting more of a workout than probably just about any car on the forums And the motor still runs to this day. That's just my 2 cents, so don't jump on someone just because they want some good reliable power
there has not been that many people build an engine with and bolt a tvs on most of the builds have been m62 cars and turbo cars. it seems like 99% of the balt/redline owners are in a hurry to stay in the same place because of some internet list oooooooooooooh look at me I beat the guy that made 350hp on a stock engine 5 years ago. instead of worrying about that **** we should be trying to figure out why these engines don't perform as they should with a cam swap we should be figuring out why these engines don't perform as they should on a ported head or bigger valves. the answer is not oh just shove more air in. to most other plats we are a joke and that is because no one wants to improve on what little we have and we don't have much the aftermarket we got will be going away

I have not jumped on anyone but everyone beating the same dead horse keeps most in the same place of not moving
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM

there has not been that many people build an engine with and bolt a tvs on most of the builds have been m62 cars and turbo cars. it seems like 99% of the balt/redline owners are in a hurry to stay in the same place because of some internet list oooooooooooooh look at me I beat the guy that made 350hp on a stock engine 5 years ago. instead of worrying about that **** we should be trying to figure out why these engines don't perform as they should with a cam swap we should be figuring out why these engines don't perform as they should on a ported head or bigger valves. the answer is not oh just shove more air in. to most other plats we are a joke and that is because no one wants to improve on what little we have and we don't have much the aftermarket we got will be going away

I have not jumped on anyone but everyone beating the same dead horse keeps most in the same place of not moving
Then how come you didn't do that with your recent build? Or is that something in the works.

Your assumption of what I'm currently doing isn't accurate as to the end goal. I'm only setting goals to keep pushing things further along in our current build to keep it going and stayed on the car. I just want to get all the simple bolt on I have laying around and done, and have the supporting mods ready and done for when we do the bigger stuff later. We simply do not have the resources now at this time to "test" set ups and configurations to see what works best. If we did, I wouldn't mind trying new things. It's just not within means for us now. I wish I could.

But I have been trying to do something different in certain areas, like fuel, and how I mentioned to you earlier that we will be doing the 4.41 trans in the future soon.

Last edited by SSfamilywagon; 09-29-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I have a personal goal of trying to get 360-370 from stock/head and cams. .

I'm shooting for more then both those staying stock head/stock cams, hoping 380/300+

Then how come you didn't do that with your recent build? Or is that something in the works.

Your assumption of what I'm currently doing isn't accurate as to the end goal. I'm only setting goals to keep pushing things further along in our current build to keep it going and stayed on the car. I just want to get all the simple bolt on I have laying around and done, and have the supporting mods ready and done for when we do the bigger stuff later. We simply do not have the resources now at this time to "test" set ups and configurations to see what works best. If we did, I wouldn't mind trying new things. It's just not within means for us now. I wish I could.

But I have been trying to do something different in certain areas, like fuel, and how I mentioned to you earlier that we will be doing the 4.41 trans in the future soon.
you stated what you are doing instead of beating that same horse everyone has took a swing on time would be better spent figuring other things out because you are not going to make any more power now then with cams no one with cams or with out cams and a ported head has beat area and I have a dam good inclination no one is going to just shoving more air in is not the answer to the puzzle
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
while it's flattering and sad at that same time that a dyno run i did almost 6 years ago is still the standard for basis amuses me.

How to hit 400whp with a tvs.

e85
big injectors
big fuel pump
tvs and a 2.5 pulley
ported head
good cams
good springs
good calibration
let it eat.

Hell 80 lb injectors and race fuel would do it.

how hard is it to make a number? I hit 342 whp on 79lb injectors. 3.1 pulley and gmr cams. Some of you are still blind to fact that cams help a lot. There was 40whp in just cams alone in that setup.

Why the **** are you being dumb about this?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:51 PM

I'm not really using those #'s as a final point, but more or less something to consider.

I understand a lot of whats needed top make the bigger power #'s. My thinking is people here should be making a lot more power then they are, which you see as well. I've learned a lot just sitting back and reading and researching what people do. Now as to why they didn't do better that paticular day or what happens help me answers my own questions. Then go about fixing and improving those is what I'm after.

The limit most of the time are always fuel and octane. not enough of it. Then temps kill peoples #'s and they gotta redo that.

We should have a lot of 400 whp cammed TVS cars but we don't. I wanna get close to 400 whp as possible without. Then do head/cams/internals. I really don't wanna do cams only to get 10-15hp. Or do a ported head only to get 20-30 hp. I'd really like to make 450+ whp on my stock bottom with top end work. It's just things I think about

I guess I'm just saying is I agree with you guys and I wonder too why people aren't making more horsepower with current mods, (PH/CAMS) and why some builds are low on HP.

Last edited by SSfamilywagon; 09-29-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Area47
while it's flattering and sad at that same time that a dyno run i did almost 6 years ago is still the standard for basis amuses me.

How to hit 400whp with a tvs.

e85
big injectors
big fuel pump
tvs and a 2.5 pulley
ported head
good cams
good springs
good calibration
let it eat.

Hell 80 lb injectors and race fuel would do it.

how hard is it to make a number? I hit 342 whp on 79lb injectors. 3.1 pulley and gmr cams. Some of you are still blind to fact that cams help a lot. There was 40whp in just cams alone in that setup.

Why the **** are you being dumb about this?
you are 90% correct there is a couple things hurting things there should be more power produced on the bigger cams on a bigger pulleys. the power is made easier only from the change in lsa the problems the are there are even hurting the performance of gary swaps also
Old 09-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not really using those #'s as a final point, but more or less something to consider.

I understand a lot of whats needed top make the bigger power #'s. My thinking is people here should be making a lot more power then they are, which you see as well. I've learned a lot just sitting back and reading and researching what people do. Now as to why they didn't do better that paticular day or what happens help me answers my own questions. Then go about fixing and improving those is what I'm after.

The limit most of the time are always fuel and octane. not enough of it. Then temps kill peoples #'s and they gotta redo that.

We should have a lot of 400 whp cammed TVS cars but we don't. I wanna get close to 400 whp as possible without. Then do head/cams/internals. I really don't wanna do cams only to get 10-15hp. Or do a ported head only to get 20-30 hp. I'd really like to make 450+ whp on my stock bottom with top end work. It's just things I think about

I guess I'm just saying I agree with you guys and I wonder too why we are making more horsepower with current mod my current build don't have more horsepower
that's why there is no need to take a swing at the horse till the circle is complete
Old 09-29-2014, 04:59 PM

Some of us build our cars a little at a time so it doesn't get boring. I've had my car nearly 7 years, on most SC setups over those years, and now changed it up. I still have the spark for the damn thing, and that wouldn't be the case if I had jumped into where its at now from the get go. (I also was 17 and didn't have the money to either lol) Also helps that I don't get bored easily. I wasn't making a stab at anyone, just saying not everyone needs to try to reinvent the wheel to have a respectable setup. Would my car have made more power with a 3" collector and a better set of cams? Absolutely, but would I have been happy with the extra 15-30whp enough to satisfy what I wanted at the time? No sir. I still have done what only 1 other person has done with the TVS at this point, and that is run a respectable time and trap at the track, so I have at least an accomplishment with the TVS on a "basic" setup. Z did it on stock longblock with a hell of a 60'. My 60' was weak compared to his, but still ran a 12.2 and trapped higher at 119 on 26" tall slicks on the stock cams. Went 12.3 and trapped 116 on the same setup but with cams with he same 60'... :/ Something was always weird there.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Some of us build our cars a little at a time so it doesn't get boring. I've had my car nearly 7 years, on most SC setups over those years, and now changed it up. I still have the spark for the damn thing, and that wouldn't be the case if I had jumped into where its at now from the get go. (I also was 17 and didn't have the money to either lol) Also helps that I don't get bored easily. I wasn't making a stab at anyone, just saying not everyone needs to try to reinvent the wheel to have a respectable setup. Would my car have made more power with a 3" collector and a better set of cams? Absolutely, but would I have been happy with the extra 15-30whp enough to satisfy what I wanted at the time? No sir. I still have done what only 1 other person has done with the TVS at this point, and that is run a respectable time and trap at the track, so I have at least an accomplishment with the TVS on a "basic" setup. Z did it on stock longblock with a hell of a 60'. My 60' was weak compared to his, but still ran a 12.2 and trapped higher at 119 on 26" tall slicks on the stock cams. Went 12.3 and trapped 116 on the same setup but with cams with he same 60'... :/ Something was always weird there.

what has been said has nothing to do with has been quoted and bigger cams would not have helped you make anything more then what you have done your bigger cams from zzp should have produced more but did not over a stock set you made the power easier due to the wider lsa there is a reason why
Old 09-29-2014, 05:19 PM

I never got to dyno the car on the stock cams. All I have to go by is the track times and traps, which suffered after the cam swap. The car also would not run under its own power after the cam swap until some severe tuning, while others have said they dropped em in and drove to get a tune. My car wouldn't run unless you were on the gas constantly until I dialed em in, so not sure if there was something funky or not. Never looked into it. We are not arguing John, I could have pushed the TVS farther, just like anyone can, but I chose not too. Would have been fun to chase 400whp just to do it, but I knew where my goals were and I knew they were nothing short of 550whp, so I changed the car completely. Now I still get to see my old blower perform on a friends car and he loves it, so its a win win.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:27 PM

that's why there is no need to take a swing at the horse till the circle is complete
Because with that attitude, nothing would ever really get done. I set goals and try for personal gain.

Like Taylor said, some have to mod a little at a time. We are one of them. Budget just doesn't allow to do what I'd like. Love to get the bigger things done, but also knew that supporting things like fuel were very important and that took time to get and planned for the future. I don't wanna have to keep changing a lot. So would be nice to do things once and be done, but we all know in the modding world, that never happens.

Last edited by SSfamilywagon; 09-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I never said we were but know one on cams has beat what bryan has done on stock cams even advise fell short I did there is a reason why and that needs to be figured out
Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Because with that attitude, nothing would ever really get done. I set gets and try for personal gain.
and that is where you are wrong if everyone keeps beating the same dead horse no one looks for another horse to get on and move forward
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM

I'm not talking about beating the horse dead still, I don't know why you keep assuming to
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

you started to use your head then quit
Old 09-29-2014, 07:19 PM

Always so negative John. You know me well enough to know I do
Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I am far from being negative 99% on here keep doing the same **** and keep banging the goat and no ever questions why

Quick Reply: Official TVS Thread!!!