2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Oil filter relocator!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil filter relocator!!!

I finally found one!

its on the summit equipment site for $102.95 under part# HAM 3322

works for all cobalts but i'm posting this up in the lsj section cause ours are a pain in the ass if you haven't figured out the "trick" yet to do it, which most people haven't. you will need to get your own lines, and i'm not sure what hardware comes with it to mount it, but it won't be that hard. enjoy

Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow... definitely something i'll buy
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like its to go in place of a standard spin-on oil filter, not the cartridge type like we have. See how it has the female-threaded hole and O-ring? That screws onto the block where the standard filter would be.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:50 AM

man i love hamburgers
Old 04-05-2009, 12:09 PM

yea, that doesn't look like it will work.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by css9450
That looks like its to go in place of a standard spin-on oil filter, not the cartridge type like we have. See how it has the female-threaded hole and O-ring? That screws onto the block where the standard filter would be.
What he said. And....

Originally Posted by ralliartist
yea, that doesn't look like it will work.
Him too.

They're both right. Either thats the wrong pic or Summit is wrong about it working.

Last edited by Jackalope; 04-05-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 PM

Even if it was the right one, I think I'd save my 100+ dollars for a few minutes of frustration once in a while.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Yeah, that is a generic GM one to fit all 4/6cyl engines, not a cartridge filter setups like the ecotecs though.

Buying a relocator just to make the filter easier to access would be a major expense for such a simple thing. Just buy the right socket and learn how to take it off.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope

Either thats the wrong pic or Summit is wrong about it working.
It might be the picture is wrong. I clicked on "Applications" and it lists hundreds of various GM cars and engines, mostly V8s. However, its does say "L61", and when clicking on that link it mentions the Cavalier, Cobalt, Malibu, etc all which used the Ecotec engine.

It could be a typo (like, maybe they meant L67), or that picture was just chosen as typical and doesn't illustrate all possible styles.

If it does fit an Ecotec, I'd like to see a picture. It seems like the piping might interfere with the supercharger.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by c0ld29
Even if it was the right one, I think I'd save my 100+ dollars for a few minutes of frustration once in a while.
An oil relocator kit serves several functions beyound just relocating the filter. It adds at least 1 to 2 qts of oil to the system, allows the oil a chance to leave the engine there-by adding in the cooling of the oil which makes it last longer and helps cool the internal parts of the engine. Adding an oil cooler to this would be an AWESOME aditional mod as it would add more oil and allow the oil temps to drop even further to help cool the engine more. Trust me if they ever do come up with one that fits the ECOTEC motor it would a better mod then some of the crap I've seen around here.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by c0ld29
ya , id do this to run an oil cooler of somthing , but its not that hard to get to.
go to a pawn shop and spend a few bucks on socket and long exteching and ratchet.

unclip the plug ontop of the supercharger, un screw the cap , pull it up, drop it down under the supercharger , it takes some pratcie but you get use to it.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by css9450
It might be the picture is wrong. I clicked on "Applications" and it lists hundreds of various GM cars and engines, mostly V8s. However, its does say "L61", and when clicking on that link it mentions the Cavalier, Cobalt, Malibu, etc all which used the Ecotec engine.

It could be a typo (like, maybe they meant L67, or that picture was just chosen as typical and doesn't illustrate all possible styles.

If it does fit an Ecotec, I'd like to see a picture. It seems like the piping might interfere with the supercharger.
all you'd need are a couple 90degree fittings and then run the lines to first to the oil filter, or better yet a dual oil filter setup!! And then on to a nice cooler to help drop oil temps even more.

An oil relocator kit serves several functions beyound just relocating the filter. It adds at least 1 to 2 qts of oil to the system, allows the oil a chance to leave the engine there-by adding in the cooling of the oil which makes it last longer and helps cool the internal parts of the engine. Adding an oil cooler to this would be an AWESOME aditional mod as it would add more oil and allow the oil temps to drop even further to help cool the engine more. Trust me if they ever do come up with one that fits the ECOTEC motor it would a better mod then some of the crap I've seen around here.
LSJ's and I think half of the LE5's already have oil coolers, so no gain there.

Originally Posted by phatnackySS
ya , id do this to run an oil cooler of somthing , but its not that hard to get to.
go to a pawn shop and spend a few bucks on socket and long exteching and ratchet.

unclip the plug ontop of the supercharger, un screw the cap , pull it up, drop it down under the supercharger , it takes some pratcie but you get use to it.
OIL COOLER FTMFW!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 PM

it's also not difficult at all just to take the supercharger off and do the oil change.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
LSJ's and I think half of the LE5's already have oil coolers, so no gain there.
Is it an external oil cooler that holds a couple additional qts of oil? Or is it like most GM oil coolers and run thru the radiator much like an automatic transmission cooler is on auto cars. I can't say I remember any oil coolers like I'm talking about on any Cobalt's I've worked on.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Is it an external oil cooler that holds a couple additional qts of oil? Or is it like most GM oil coolers and run thru the radiator much like an automatic transmission cooler is on auto cars. I can't say I remember any oil coolers like I'm talking about on any Cobalt's I've worked on.
It's a plate stack on the side of the block above the trans, right under the filter. Yes, it cools off of engine coolant, but keeping your oil any cooler than 200 degress isn't needed. The extra capacity would be good, but at 6 quarts, and LSJ is hardly lacking for oil capacity, and the LSJ pan fits right on the other blocks anyway to increase capacity.

To run an air-liquid oil cooler, you would have to bypass the factory one (would necessitate removing the engine to do the necessary machine work) or you would just be wasting time and effort. Then you should add a thermostat to the new system so it allows the oil to properly heat up before being sent to the cooler. Then you have to make sure that all the extra piping and filters and adaptors are not causing a pressure drop, i'd be more concerned about losing 10psi of oil pressure than running my oil 10 degrees cooler.

Originally Posted by ralliartist
it's also not difficult at all just to take the supercharger off and do the oil change.
I don't see the issue, I'm not a small guy, I don't have small hands, and I can still get the oil filter out of an LSJ in about 30 seconds. Takes longer to remove the I/C fill neck to access it on a non-option B car than anything else.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 04-05-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

i know how to change my oil just fine. i was posting this up for the people who are sick of trying to get the right socket on there and then messing with the filter once its screwed off. i can change my filter in about 2 minutes.

and yes i believe thats just a generic picture. i read on the summit site about the threads and what not and it will fit just fine. the plate with the two adapters on it will screw in to where the filter sits stock. then you can mount the other one where ever you want. run the feed and return lines, put in the new oil amount, and youre good to go. you will however have to change to a different filter i believe
Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It's a plate stack on the side of the block above the trans, right under the filter. Yes, it cools off of engine coolant, but keeping your oil any cooler than 200 degress isn't needed. The extra capacity would be good, but at 6 quarts, and LSJ is hardly lacking for oil capacity, and the LSJ pan fits right on the other blocks anyway to increase capacity.

To run an air-liquid oil cooler, you would have to bypass the factory one (would necessitate removing the engine to do the necessary machine work) or you would just be wasting time and effort. Then you should add a thermostat to the new system so it allows the oil to properly heat up before being sent to the cooler. Then you have to make sure that all the extra piping and filters and adaptors are not causing a pressure drop, i'd be more concerned about losing 10psi of oil pressure than running my oil 10 degrees cooler.
THAT little thing? YEAH OK! It gets no air flow that would help cool the oil worth a crap! My M3 oil temps would creep up into the mid 300's when I beat on the car hard and I'm damn sure a supercharged/ turbocharged 4cylinder would do the same if not worse! I'm talking about putting an oil cooler out in front of the radiator or in an area that allows for air flowing directly over it to cool the oil down. Now that said if you get the kits designed for an oil cooler they have a by-pass port that doesn't open up till the oil reaches its operating temperature and will close so its doesn't "over cool" the oil. But when you beat on the car, like I'm sure 9 out of 10 SC owners do, then the oil is allowed to flow thru the cooler dropping the temps. And none of the oil coolers I've ever run have caused a drop in presure only a drop in oil temps.

So to re-cap. A bypass valve to keep the oil from flowing to the cooler when its cold, and no it doesn't cause a drop in presure. Well unless you have a leak or did something wrong to cause a blockage in the system but thats not the coolers fault, it'd be instalation error.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
I had to put a remote oil filter on the DD when the first replacement engine was damaged. One of the things I had to do was run the lines and find a place for the oil filter to be mounted. This was all done but it was such a royal PITA, that when the next engine didn't need the remote filter, I was happy.
Mounting the filter and running the lines in an already cramped space, especially if you have have other after market mods in the engine bay, was more time consuming than it was worth, IMHO.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

well like i said. i'm not getting this. i have no problem changing my filter. but i came across this and thought i'ld post it up
Old 04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
well like i said. i'm not getting this. i have no problem changing my filter. but i came across this and thought i'ld post it up
There is no doubt that our oil filters are a pita and that some people will consider the option you have given them. It can be done, I just don't want the people thinking it is quick and easy, unless thet will just leave it dangling in the engine bay.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10467_-1_10445

second from the bottom on the left. "trans dapt"
Old 04-05-2009, 02:17 PM

I bought one about 2 months ago and I couldnt find a place to put it that was easy to get to. For me it was easier to keep it stock. It would work good under the hood of a car that was all motor no accessories.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:25 PM

http://www.hamburgersperformance.com...3697&rsku=8594

its on their site.

Quick Reply: Oil filter relocator!!!