2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Oil filter relocator!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that looks funny.
the treads arent right.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KyleMinnis
that looks funny.
the treads arent right.
yeah...pictures will make that happen sometimes
Old 04-05-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackalope
THAT little thing? YEAH OK! It gets no air flow that would help cool the oil worth a crap! My M3 oil temps would creep up into the mid 300's when I beat on the car hard and I'm damn sure a supercharged/ turbocharged 4cylinder would do the same if not worse! I'm talking about putting an oil cooler out in front of the radiator or in an area that allows for air flowing directly over it to cool the oil down. Now that said if you get the kits designed for an oil cooler they have a by-pass port that doesn't open up till the oil reaches its operating temperature and will close so its doesn't "over cool" the oil. But when you beat on the car, like I'm sure 9 out of 10 SC owners do, then the oil is allowed to flow thru the cooler dropping the temps. And none of the oil coolers I've ever run have caused a drop in presure only a drop in oil temps.

So to re-cap. A bypass valve to keep the oil from flowing to the cooler when its cold, and no it doesn't cause a drop in presure. Well unless you have a leak or did something wrong to cause a blockage in the system but thats not the coolers fault, it'd be instalation error.
It has coolant running through it, it's not air cooled. Oil temps on these cars are not bad at all. M3's are higher revving and higher compression, leaner burning too. Not suprised that they get hotter, it's more of a performance engine.

Pressure drop happens in any system when you add more length of hose and fittings, radiators, whatever. It may not be much, but it happens. I'm saying, on these cars, the costs would far outweigh the gains. I've never seen any ecotec have an oiling issue, bearing faliure, anything. Run good oil, change it regularly (3000 miles or less if you drive hard), and you will never have a problem.

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
There is no doubt that our oil filters are a pita and that some people will consider the option you have given them. It can be done, I just don't want the people thinking it is quick and easy, unless thet will just leave it dangling in the engine bay.

Don't say anything, wait until someone posts pics of that done

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 04-05-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The Hamburger Perf 3322 oil filter relocatin kit DOES NOT fit the ECO.

Its got 18x1.5 filter threads.....thats for the PF46 or PF47 stlye oil filter that the QUAD4 and the 2.2 OHV take..... the threads on our oil cap are more like 50x3 or something ridiculous.....the picture doesnt make it look wrong, it IS wrong, LOL
Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by JimzSS
That is a spin on filter adaptor, not a cartridge style as the Ecotecs use.

Originally Posted by KyleMinnis
that looks funny.
the treads arent right.

Well, it's not a tire, so treads aren't right.

The threads usually distort in pictures.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 04-05-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2009, 03:45 PM

Nice find, and good looking parts...but I can't justify that price when I can actually get mine out.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Nice of you to bring it up exsoccer. No one is bagging you for bringing it up. But fact is, we have 6 qts of oil and a cooler stock. So this isn't going to do anything for us.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
It has coolant running through it, it's not air cooled. Oil temps on these cars are not bad at all. M3's are higher revving and higher compression, leaner burning too. Not suprised that they get hotter, it's more of a performance engine.

Pressure drop happens in any system when you add more length of hose and fittings, radiators, whatever. It may not be much, but it happens. I'm saying, on these cars, the costs would far outweigh the gains. I've never seen any ecotec have an oiling issue, bearing faliure, anything. Run good oil, change it regularly (3000 miles or less if you drive hard), and you will never have a problem.
IDK the M doesn't have any kind of forced induction like these little things have. To me they should actualy get hotter.

*shrug* Whatever. I'm from the school of thought that if you can improve upon a system then go for it. If you guys are happy with the stock setup who am I to tell you differently. Like I said I've never experenced any drop in presure from running a remote setup on any of the cars I've used them on. My FireBird, Camaro's, and finaly on the M. But its true I've only done it on 7 different cars so I guess the 8th could have had an issue.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i could be wrong, but since the ecotec has about 5445435 extra plugs in the oil system, could you not just remove one of the high pressure ones, run that down to a traditional style cooler, then run it back into one of the lower pressure fittings?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
it's also not difficult at all just to take the supercharger off and do the oil change.
even thats not needed, all I do is attach the proper sized socket on the cap first and then slide an extension down there next and seconds later its off...
Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM

IDK the M doesn't have any kind of forced induction like these little things have. To me they should actualy get hotter.

*shrug* Whatever. I'm from the school of thought that if you can improve upon a system then go for it. If you guys are happy with the stock setup who am I to tell you differently. Like I said I've never experenced any drop in presure from running a remote setup on any of the cars I've used them on. My FireBird, Camaro's, and finaly on the M. But its true I've only done it on 7 different cars so I guess the 8th could have had an issue.
I'm not saying that you will have a problem, but you won't gain anything from it, so why bother? Extra cost, effort, more things to leak or fail, for no actual positive effect. I know it's always better to have more oil and to run it cooler, but these motors are not lacking in capacity or cooling ability. If you are really concerned, there are dry sump systems out there, best of everything.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ralliartist
Nice of you to bring it up exsoccer. No one is bagging you for bringing it up. But fact is, we have 6 qts of oil and a cooler stock. So this isn't going to do anything for us.
the only reason i brought this up is because a while back i remembered a thread about people complaining of the stock filter location. so i came across this kit and thought i'ld post it up as a means for them to move the filter where ever they sought fit. not as a means to add extra oil/cooling to our systems.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ohh dry sump 4tw
linky?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
the only reason i brought this up is because a while back i remembered a thread about people complaining of the stock filter location. so i came across this kit and thought i'ld post it up as a means for them to move the filter where ever they sought fit. not as a means to add extra oil/cooling to our systems.

Unfortunately it is mislabeled. I bought a cheap knockoff of the hamburger relocator and this is what the bottom looks like. It is for a spin on filter.

Same as the pick on the right which does show the bottom

This is a bigger deal for us guys with Atom's because the filter is behind the firewall right behind the seats and a pain to reach. Here is the custom filter relocator and upgraded cooler for the Atom

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM

PICS if anyone has done this!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
An oil relocator kit serves several functions beyound just relocating the filter. It adds at least 1 to 2 qts of oil to the system, allows the oil a chance to leave the engine there-by adding in the cooling of the oil which makes it last longer and helps cool the internal parts of the engine. Adding an oil cooler to this would be an AWESOME aditional mod as it would add more oil and allow the oil temps to drop even further to help cool the engine more. Trust me if they ever do come up with one that fits the ECOTEC motor it would a better mod then some of the crap I've seen around here.

The LSJ already has an oil-cooler. Not a "true" oil cooler, as some would proclaim; It's a cooler that is piped with coolant. A water-to-oil-cooler, if you will.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM

pst guys

Ecotec L61 LE5 remote oil filter adapter cooler billet! on eBay.ca (item 290473066611 end time 06-Dec-10 16:08:38 EST)