2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Option B with flowthrough tank vs expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by euthanasia
Anytime you can add more water to the system is a good thing.

this how much? send pm
Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshcsepegi
this how much? send pm
x2 send me a pm about this...
Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I plan to ditch my option b and to pick one of these expansion tanks up from euthanasia and pack it full of ice at the track
Old 09-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zrated89
dam jr size matters huh? lolz
Sure does lol. We have been doing trunk mounted intercooler tanks for year's with the Terminator Cobras and GT 500's Those cars come stock with flow thru setup's. Its just the tanks they come with are really small. But it seems now every after market manufacture makes under the hood tanks for them now. This is a old concept just new to the LSJ world i guess.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
To be honest if it was really needed, don't you think GM would have made option b a complete flowing system from the get-go?.. It would have been just as easy as the only difference is a return line.. They made it how it is for a reason.

I'd like to see real world numbers honestly.. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Like John said, option b removes air bubbles so that the water can actually disperse heat from the cores, because obviously air bubbles will nor transfer heat as the water has no contact with the cores if air is there.. A radiator cooling system on a car is no different. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept for some to grasp. The coolant running through the supercharger system does not get nearly as hot as a radiator cooling system. And once again, the radiator system is not a complete flowing system. It has a "to" line, and a bleeder which removes air from otherwise causing overheating inside the block.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
To be honest if it was really needed, don't you think GM would have made option b a complete flowing system from the get-go?.. It would have been just as easy as the only difference is a return line.. They made it how it is for a reason.

I'd like to see real world numbers honestly.. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Like John said, option b removes air bubbles so that the water can actually disperse heat from the cores, because obviously air bubbles will nor transfer heat as the water has no contact with the cores if air is there.. A radiator cooling system on a car is no different. I'm not sure why that is such a hard concept for some to grasp. The coolant running through the supercharger system does not get nearly as hot as a radiator cooling system. And once again, the radiator system is not a complete flowing system. It has a "to" line, and a bleeder which removes air from otherwise causing overheating inside the block.
What makes you think there is air bubbles in my system? You better go tell R.E.T, Lethal Performance and Vortech Superchargers just to name a few to ditch there flow thru set ups and run a option B on there air to water supercharger kits. The point to running more water is to prvent heat soak. I can run 10 back to back runs and never have my iats go over 135* Thats all the evidence I need.

Last edited by euthanasia; 09-10-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

What makes you think there is air bubbles in my system? You better go tell R.E.T, Lethal Performance and Vortech Superchargers just to name a few to ditch there flow thru set ups and run a option B on there air to water supercharger kits. The point to running more water is to prvent heat soak. I can run 10 back to back runs and never have my iats go over 135* Thats all the evidence I need.
The pump is always going to create air pockets, regardless of how small, it adds up, and it will keep adding up as stock system doesn't bleed itself. Thus causing less thermal transfer from the cores to the water. As a wise man once said - By adding option b alone you have made the cooling system on an LSJ 80% efficient. Basically what I think is worth noting is air in the lines will KILL your iat2s. A flowing system just isn't any more efficient as you may think.

And what were outside temps when you tested this?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
gm would have had to compromise between cost and performance. the gm performance option b kit doesnt actually use any parts that gm didnt already have in their inventory, its an off the shelf coolant surge tank, a bunch of hose, clamps and a couple t's. even the dual pass is just a modded stock piece. to my knowledge gm doesnt have a flow through tank in any cars stock, so they would have had to spend tons of money to design and build one.

the benifits of a flow through system all depend on how much coolant is in the tank. a small tank would have little effect, a large flow through tank (a gallon or more) it will take far longer to heat up. also flow through tanks add the option of adding ice to help cool the coolant below ambient air temps, something great for on the dyno or drag racing.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
gm would have had to compromise between cost and performance. the gm performance option b kit doesnt actually use any parts that gm didnt already have in their inventory, its an off the shelf coolant surge tank, a bunch of hose, clamps and a couple t's. even the dual pass is just a modded stock piece. to my knowledge gm doesnt have a flow through tank in any cars stock, so they would have had to spend tons of money to design and build one.

the benifits of a flow through system all depend on how much coolant is in the tank. a small tank would have little effect, a large flow through tank (a gallon or more) it will take far longer to heat up. also flow through tanks add the option of adding ice to help cool the coolant below ambient air temps, something great for on the dyno or drag racing.
An extra 2ft of hose for return line and a fitting for the return on the tank.. Yeah not too complicated. Why would they need to spend so much money and time to design one? These guys are making 4gal tanks and throwing them in the trunk with fittings and some hose.. Not much "design" there and based on their claims it works great......... Seems most of the guys on here are qualified to be GM engineers............

Lol.. You've never measured the temperature of the actual coolant inside the blower system after some pulls on a hot day have you? I'm guessing not based on your response on the last paragraph. It doesn't heat up as much, as fast, as you clearly think.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 PM

due to the lines running between the trunk mount and the front of the car a lot of heat is dissipated through the lines as well as the h/e, and then all that more water in the system...no reason it wouldn't fight heat soak
Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM

I use an option B tank as my reservoir tank, aka flow through. Stock endplate, tiny ass cobra heat exhanger only. I see 140* iats, but my iat reads 10-20* hot. I'll touch the 160's after doing a few pulls right in a row. Going to put in a dual pass and CX racing H/E next weekend, mostly because the tow company bend my current h/e all to hell.

Oh and fyi to sharkey. The option B has all the nipples to be flow thorugh. And my stock coolant reservoir is a flow though.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
no it dosent

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/adva...stalled-60809/
Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
no it dosent
Who and what is that directed at?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Funny, I run stock endplate at the moment, ZZP S3 FMHE, and running 100% water, yet I am seeing temps just as low as everyone else has posted. Now I know water makes a difference, but obviously this tank is not as good as it is made out to be. That or I just got a car that runs a real cold blower system for no reason.. I'll go with the first one.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM

where are there 2 3/4" nipples?

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Leafydialupking

Oh and fyi to sharkey. The option B has all the nipples to be flow thorugh. And my stock coolant reservoir is a flow though.
no it dosent is that better for you

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/adva...stalled-60809/
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM

I run an adapter down to that 3/8 nipple. It does reduce my coolant velocities and isnt the best. I'm working on getting my tig welding better before I make a custom tank.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Just bought the tank for Stus mod from Oriellys for 7.99. I alreaddy have the hose. I say 8 bucks for fittings, and i am good to go...this should be a very good mod for 20 bucks tops.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

enjoy the leaks
Old 09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

The pump is always going to create air pockets, regardless of how small, it adds up, and it will keep adding up as stock system doesn't bleed itself. Thus causing less thermal transfer from the cores to the water. As a wise man once said - By adding option b alone you have made the cooling system on an LSJ 80% efficient. Basically what I think is worth noting is air in the lines will KILL your iat2s. A flowing system just isn't any more efficient as you may think.

And what were outside temps when you tested this?
I went out and tried my hardest today to heat soak my car. I was only able to get the IAT2s no higher than 116* Out side temp was 73*
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
now you are just plain wrong here. xxxxwoxxx and sharkey are right.

and the other cars you talk of, apart from issues with air in the system , do they run laminova cores? LSJ Laminova cores are very interesting, do a pretty decent job, but entrained air in the coolant really hurts the heat transfer.

and btw on track the Mustang supercharged cars slow down after 5 laps or so on the road race track. I see it a lot here.

In fact, most of the s/c cars slow down, other than properly prepared LSJ.

I am happy your car does not heat soak. Mine does not either. So what?

Oh I did go to the drag strip a year or two ago, ran about 30 passes, without really stopping other than the line up, so continually. My fastest runs were....the last ones.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR
where are there 2 3/4" nipples?

lol Rootbeer and Mr Belevedere
Old 09-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
lol Rootbeer and Mr Belevedere
y u r lol at us?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharkey

This is why im running my 4 gal tank and not the small one. Other than this tank my cooling system is 100% stock.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR
y u r lol at us?
no lol because u both are right make good points. This thread is derailed a bit I think folks that should know better are not making much sense as they clearly dont understand the ill effect of air in coolant.

I wonder how they feel about air in oil?

Quick Reply: Option B with flowthrough tank vs expansion tank