2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Option B with flowthrough tank vs expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Leafydialupking
Yup, you have to route it correctly such that there are no high spots to get the air trapped. Its why going dual pass is worrying me in the back of my head. and why I'm considering running 1 in and 2 outs on it. And why with my cx racing intercooler I'm going to fill the intercooler from its own filler then fill the rest of the system (because the idiot who designed it didnt put the inlets and outlets in the correct spots)
dual pass has the laminova plumbed 1 in and 2 out. So lots of misinformation/misunderstanding going on here.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, ok the pictures of the cores on ZZP's website are backwards. I keep forgetting.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Former Vendor

Old 09-11-2011, 07:28 PM

That setup makes no sense at all. It should be, reservoir to pump, to bottom of aftercooler, from top of after cooler to bottom of intake manifold. From top of intake manifold back to the reservoir. Why would you put the pump at the hottest part of the system? No wonder pumps fail so often on here.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Former Vendor

makes no sense? I guess you know more than the engineers that designed the ecotec. oh well.

btw the stock he is dual pass. do u know what this means? I am asking because its clear to me that folks not understanding stuff leads to the misinformation I see here. This diagram is found in all dual pass endplate kits sold by GM
Old 09-11-2011, 07:55 PM

After dealing with the j-body pcm I have little faith in them. Though they're still better than ford engineers.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Former Vendor

I will say one more thing before I gtfo of this thread. I had a customer with a RAW front mount and a weird plumbing deal with stock 4 pass laminova. I installed a race griffin for him but there was no time and I had no extra hoses on a Saturday, to re do his plumbing from the way the RAW folks did it, other than just joining the frontmount hoses ( we took the RAW front mount off.)
it was plumbed backwards. Would have pleased you.
the IAT 2 were silly.

Plumbed it right the following week with some new hoses.

IAT 2 were good.

thats all
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM

That setup makes no sense at all. It should be, reservoir to pump, to bottom of aftercooler, from top of after cooler to bottom of intake manifold. From top of intake manifold back to the reservoir. Why would you put the pump at the hottest part of the system? No wonder pumps fail so often on here.
this is why the pumps fail....sealed motor + motor brushes wearing = build up causing bad connection kills the pump

here's mine after 30,000ish miles, dies, opened it up, knocked all the debris out of it from the brushes wearing, popped it back together and it worked just like new

Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not trying to be a dick but anyone who can look at that diagram and confidently say that they think it makes no sense at all, shouldn't really have an opinion in this thread.. The way the system is set up and how it is supposed to operate (flow) is bare bones basic knowledge..

Why put the pump from at the hottest part? Well it will have to be sent to the H/E after passing through the IM so heat transfer can occur.. It's not why pumps fail at all. How many times must I say that the coolant in the supercharger system does not get that hot as hot as you think..? In your theory everyone should be burning through water pumps also..

RooTBeeR is correct. The sealed motor plus brushes wearing out = Pump fubar'd. I'm not saying that's the only reason, but the two that have failed (mine and a friend's), both worked after being knocked loose of all the brush debris. We both bought brand new ones anyway, but the point still stands.

Last edited by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx; 09-12-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 AM

It seems like everyone does burn through pumps. Why would you setup a centrifugal pump to try and pull a vacuum? Its not what its good at. Well more aptly it works better the higher the input pressure is, to an extent. And also, why does the option b feed to the higher pressure side of the system. if anything it should be just before the pump, although it needs to also be at the highest point of the system for it to work. So really that whole coolant setup is all funked to heck. It should have a reservoir which should be the highest point. If no reservoir is really needed then it should have the filler neck replaced with a swirl pot so that no option b is required for proper bleeding, then the stock setup would make sense. If you are going to add in an reservoir tank (option b counts even though is not the best) it should be plumbed like I said before in order to maximize the volume flow rate and ability to bleed of the system.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually whether it's on the cold or hot side makes little to no difference. I researched this same idea when installing my dual pass and option b. I ended up contacting the mfg. of the ic pumps (bosch) and they said the pumps are designed to operate with hot or cold coolant/water as the pumps are also used in many other cars and many other applications. In fact, some cars even use this same pump to circulate engine coolant. And it's not just cars on this site who have issues with this pump. Check out some of the Benz forums and Lightening/Terminator forums as they use the same pump and have the same issues as we do on here
Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
^^^^ yes 100%

Both charts done @ sea level with a 3gph spraying 100% methanol.

Completely stock inter cooler setup (fill tube) on a 2.6 m62 pulley.

Also on a 2.6, just a little addition of a blower port. Excuse the knock, gained 3 psi, forgot to adjust afr/timing. Either way it should make Powell's point clear that the stock fmic just dandy.

Why not run best of both worlds? Option B and Euthanasia's expansion tank?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
its all the dust from the brushes that makes them stick and hang up if clean it out with electric motor cleaner from time to time it would last longer
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dam meth a tad on the lean side huh is that becuse youre running 100% meth?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
How do you get entrained air out of a closed circuit cooling system? Or heating system with radiators in an old house heating system.? How do you get entrained air out of an engine oil dry sump system?
think about it. Tobe sure there are different answers, but all require some means of getting rid of the air. Just having circulation in the coolant lines wont do it.

An h/e cooling system is no different.

how does the air get 'worked out"?
Once the coolant hits the tank any air bubbles in the system will rise to the top (of the tank) and evaporate

That is how it appears to work to me
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by zrated89
Dam meth a tad on the lean side huh is that becuse youre running 100% meth?

That's not a actual afr reading. The afr defaults to that number in hptuners when the wideband isn't connected to the Hpt cable.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 AM

guess the most efficient set up for a flow thru tank would be to go from laminovas out to flow thru tank then back to the i/c pump in. eliminating the T set up. i cant find a how-to anywhere! im going to do this and hopefully do it right and make a write up. just not sure how to go from the laminovas out connection over to pass side of car without hitting the belt. ill figure it out and i guess just run the 2 3/4 tubes thru the little hole with the washer fluid tank goes in.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 AM

this is how mine is routed ^^^

run the hoses over the engine coolant hose
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright who bumped this ****
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 AM

haaa.... i would say ionninja did sir...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 AM

actually the guy above me did ^_^
Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM

twas me lol. i wanted to know how to run the thru tank hoses! thanks ionninja! zip ties at all?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So who was right and who was wrong?

lol
Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 06cobalt racer
if you use the right fittings you wont have leaks. i used to use sealant to seal the fittings that were in my tank and they did leak. but then i got some fittings that had an o-ring and a plastic nut to tighten. since then i have had no leaks.
Where do I buy those fittings with the plastic nut and o ring?!?? I tried using pvc 3/4 and epoxy around front and back but I found that that leaked. So not I've got the t connection rigged where the flow thru should be for now lol. Please help! I've tried advanced, autozone, pepboys, and home depot I looked in there pvc isle but nothing! Ill prob go back tomorrow and look harder. Help!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 AM

O and I do like that both lines fit right in behind the headlight thru a little hole. Haha. Perfect. And ionninja was right! Run them over upper rad hose. Now just need to know where to buy those fittings..for the time I had it on for a couple mins it was really awesome seeing it flowing thru there haha. Powerful little pump. O and was my stock setup normal? Laminovas out, to t connection, to intercooler, to pump, back into laminovas? That's how it was when I bought the car, but the diagram in this thread shows to pump instead of intercooler

Quick Reply: Option B with flowthrough tank vs expansion tank