2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Performance help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance help needed.

okay, so I want help. I've been reading daily on this site for information. It's great and I've hardly ever posted even though I get on here about twice a day (if I can) anyway I want some advice...

I want to go stage 2 but Idk if i want to get the gm stage 2 kit. I kinda like piecing a kit together, and than tuning it. the list of stuff I want to get includes:

pulley hub and pulley, unsure of size. I guess nate's make pretty nice ones
gm stage 2 belt.
injectors. I think 60's
ngk plugs.
a h/e and/or dual pass

and get tuned possibly with hp tuners.

I have a lot of issues though. I'm not experienced with hp tuners so was probably looking for someone local to help. I know how to turn a wrench but I just don't want to screw anything up. I'm unsure of what injectors I would need, and generally unsure if this would satisfy my power hunger

in a nut shell: I'm looking for, well i would like 250 to the wheels. I understand its not all about hp numbers but more doesn't hurt

any help? comments, or suggestions?

oh yea, and i wanna make non gt mustangs look stupid (with the exception of the 2011's)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Go 2.8 inch pulley, 60 injectors, h/e, dual pass, hub, belt, trifecta or hptuners. Ill suggest hptuners if you can find 1 in your area. You'll get 250 with an good tune
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM

okay thanks. so if I am going tune I will absolutely need an a/f ratio gauge already? right?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:43 PM

where from in pittsburgh? Im from wilkinsburgh, I know a great tuner if you need a good street/dyno tune
Old 06-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AuhsoJ007
okay thanks. so if I am going tune I will absolutely need an a/f ratio gauge already? right?
You don't *HAVE* to, but if you want it tuned right you should get an AFR guage and wideband O2.

I would suggest doing the dual pass AND the second H/E if possible, if not then do the dual pass. With a good tune you should be able to hit 250 whp or better.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frew
where from in pittsburgh? Im from wilkinsburgh, I know a great tuner if you need a good street/dyno tune
about 20 miles north of the city. I'm close to sewickley if you know where that is? I'm willing to travel for a good tune.

Originally Posted by rnjmur
You don't *HAVE* to, but if you want it tuned right you should get an AFR guage and wideband O2.

I would suggest doing the dual pass AND the second H/E if possible, if not then do the dual pass. With a good tune you should be able to hit 250 whp or better.

I figured. well if I go with a stage kit from ottp or zzp I'd get a canned tune. possibly something I would be able to deal with temp. But having to buy a down pipe with a bung, an a/f scan gauge and a pod. thats something I want to do but idk if i can just pay for all of that at the same time. is that something I should do first?

Last edited by AuhsoJ007; 06-09-2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troyss
Go 2.8 inch pulley, 60 injectors, h/e, dual pass, hub, belt, trifecta or hptuners. Ill suggest hptuners if you can find 1 in your area. You'll get 250 with an good tune
Hes not that experienced with hptuners and thats alot of money to throw down for 250whp

OP Seriously look at route 2 for your setup! Very cost effective for the power. You will have to get a wideband (downpipe with extra bung) to have someone tune you or you can find a shop that does tuning.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/lsj-modification-guide-217195/
Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 PM

I'm still open minded to find some local guys that maybe want to help with my tuning using hptuners. I'm not totally sure how it works but I would just buy the credits...anyway, I guess I might as well do exhaust first? I kinda wanted to do a stage kit first just because It will boost my power the most, but without exhaust its like cutting corners. idk still looking for input. thank you for everything so far
Old 06-10-2010, 10:38 AM

I figured. well if I go with a stage kit from ottp or zzp I'd get a canned tune. possibly something I would be able to deal with temp. But having to buy a down pipe with a bung, an a/f scan gauge and a pod. thats something I want to do but idk if i can just pay for all of that at the same time. is that something I should do first?
If you get a canned tune you don't have to get a wideband and AFR guage, since it is a canned tune. If you get a wideband and AFR guage and get a custom tune you will get much better power out of the car, plus if it is done by a good tuner the custom tune will be much safer.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rnjmur
You don't *HAVE* to, but if you want it tuned right you should get an AFR guage and wideband O2
to tune it properly u need to know what your afr is
Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
to tune it properly u need to know what your afr is
Hence, why I said if you want it done right.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM

tuning without a wideband is like running through the ghetto at night with a blindfold on, you never know when your gonna get f-ed
Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 AM

okay. so my next question is, say I get stage 2. I install and take it to a local place and get tuned on a dyno. Will they be able to read my afr without me having a scan gauge or would they need me to have it?

tuning without a wideband is like running through the ghetto at night with a blindfold on, you never know when your gonna get f-ed
ha thats funny. I appreciate everyone's help. I have a lot of questions and most seem pretty basic, its just I save every dime I can for parts and I'm willing to spend the money, I just want to know what I'm doing.

another ?......I buy any pulley like 2.8 or 2.9. I also need to buy the gm stage 2 belt. it will work with the pulley? or with certain size pulley's do I need a tensioner too?

okay last question for the night. say I don't want to use the stock pcm incase something goes wrong. Can I buy a new one and use it to tune on and if I ever need to go back to the stock one in case I ever want too.

Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate it!

Last edited by AuhsoJ007; 06-11-2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM

okay. so my next question is, say I get stage 2. I install and take it to a local place and get tuned on a dyno. Will they be able to read my afr without me having a scan gauge or would they need me to have it?

Yes and no. Most dyno tuners have tail pipe sniffers to measure AFR, however if you have a downpipe with a cat the AFR will not be accurate.

another ?......I buy any pulley like 2.8 or 2.9. I also need to buy the gm stage 2 belt. it will work with the pulley? or with certain size pulley's do I need a tensioner too?

With a 2.9 or 2.8 the GM stage 2 belt will be fine. Once you go smaller than a 2.8 you typically will need to go with an adjustable tensioner.

okay last question for the night. say I don't want to use the stock pcm incase something goes wrong. Can I buy a new one and use it to tune on and if I ever need to go back to the stock one in case I ever want too.

Yes you can. You will need to do the security relearn proceedure and a CASE relearn, but you can most definately use a spare PCM.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Just do youself a favor, go on ebay, type in aem uego widband, and pay the 189.99 shipped. This is gonna save you a headache in the long run with not only tuning, but daily monitoring of your afrs at cruise, wot, etc. You dont have to spend alot of money on parts, just spend the money on the right parts.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 PM

thanks mjmur!!! I appreciate the help

Just do youself a favor, go on ebay, type in aem uego widband, and pay the 189.99 shipped. This is gonna save you a headache in the long run with not only tuning, but daily monitoring of your afrs at cruise, wot, etc. You dont have to spend alot of money on parts, just spend the money on the right parts.
I appreciate the help too. and thanks. I assume that will be the cheapest place to get one. I always planned on getting a wideband. It almost sounds like I don't know what I'm doing but I think the case here is I just didn't realize that getting stage 2 is not possible with the goals I have set without getting a full exhaust first. which basically leads me to decide about an exhaust. I really wanted to go with a full hahn exhaust. I plan to do so. but to start I think I should get a down pipe with bung and the wide band gauge.

Last edited by AuhsoJ007; 06-14-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost