2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Please Help: Car's in pieces need to swap idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Please Help: Car's in pieces need to swap idler pulley

Hi all,
I'm doing a Stage II kit install on my 2006 SS/SC. Everything is going well, I've changed the supercharger snout hub, and I'm ready to re-install everything. My kit comes with a larger idler pulley instead of a smaller belt. I believe the ilder pulley is the "dead" pulley above the tensioner which is just sitting on a black bracket (hence it goes nowhere and is "dead"). Am I correct first of all?

Secondly, I believe to remove this pulley all I have to do is pop off the plastic cover hiding the bolt, remove the bolt, slide pulley off, slide new pulley on and bolt it back up?

Thanks so much, in less then 2 hours I hope to have an extra 50 or so HP!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You are correct with both.

Although I know on ZZPs larger tensioner pulley, you have to take the bracket off and grind it down because the larger pulley will rub.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they have pics on their site where you need to grind it down.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Damn, thanks for corroborating my facts; however, I didn't know the bolt behind that plastic cover would be one of those damn Torx bolts! LoL. I had to shut down for the night because I only have Torx smaller than that one. I'll be walking to the shop to buy more in the morning.

I hope I don't have the ZZP Idler cause I have nothing to grind with ATM. My kit is older, it's from RebelAutoWorx, not sure where they sourced the idler pulley.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The idler is actually the one in this diagram;

If you are working on the idler, you would need to remove the two idler mounting bolts before you could get to the idler pully (off the vehicle).
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by dtabbs
The idler is actually the one in this diagram;

If you are working on the idler, you would need to remove the two idler mounting bolts before you could get to the idler pully (off the vehicle).
Hmm, so the idler isn't the one directly below the point where you use a 15MM wrench to relieve the tensioner? Because that pulley is only mounted to the bracket, I believe it's the only one that's not mounted to engine hardware.

Also, I can access the pulley directly by popping off the plastic cover and using a Torx (looks like a T50) to unbolt it and slap the new one on.

Are you certain about that info? I found another tutorial corroborating the above two replies to my original post. I'm confused, sorry.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM

Sounds like you are trying to swap to a larger tensioner pulley. Even if it isn't a ZZP pulley you will likely have to modify the bracket to help with fitment.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Banned

You are working with the tensioner and yes you will have to grind the bracket down. There is no larger idler, only a larger tensioner.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
right just got ur terms wrong. a larger idle pulley wouldnt fit. but larger tensioner which is the one ur messing with and talking about is fine
Old 07-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Ok, thanks, it's the tensioner pulley, not the idler. For some reason the kit I bought calls it the idler pulley...

Anyway, I stripped the damn bolt that holds the pulley onto the bracket. I am going to be able to extract it, however, does anyone know where I could get a replacement bolt for this bracket? Will I have to order it from GM, or is there other options I should consider? I don't even know what I would call this besides the tensioner pulley bolt, is that the best way to describe this piece?

Thanks again, this is turning into a long term project, I guess I will also have to find a grinder now. Damn, I wish these things were discussed in the kit's documentation (it's not).
Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM

One more time:

The correct part number for that is 11589147, I believe.
I needed this along with a new belt a long time ago and got these ordered by my dealership.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gelladuga69
One more time:

The correct part number for that is 11589147, I believe.
I needed this along with a new belt a long time ago and got these ordered by my dealership.
LOL you rock, I've been going around searching for threads similar to mine and bumping them for feedback. I am not trying to beat this to death, but finding this part is somewhat tricky when the dealer can't locate it.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by boostbalt
LOL you rock, I've been going around searching for threads similar to mine and bumping them for feedback. I am not trying to beat this to death, but finding this part is somewhat tricky when the dealer can't locate it.
Lol, I just want you to get your answer!
Here's what I put in another thread:

No problem, man.
That's what my receipt from Hamilton Chevrolet names the part as well..
I can take a picture of my receipt, if you need.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Well, got everything installed, ground down the tensioner (in the area where it braces near the bottom bolt) no problems there.

Now, last step. I have to get this belt back on the supercharger pulley. Even with the tensioner relieved to what I think is max, it's a mother to try and get this belt over the SC's pulley. I'm sure it will fit, it is going to be snug as expected, but damn, it's hard as hell to do this.

Any advice on getting that belt over? I was thinking of actually unbolting the SC, putting the belt over the pulley, then use the SC itself as leverage to bolt the SC back in place with the belt already set. Anyone tried this?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
pry a small crowbar in below the the circular piece that you use to hoist the motor (not sure what its called sorry) and above the tensioner pulley. and youll push down on the tensioner pulley, thereby relieving the tension on the belt. in better terms, itll give you the slack to reinstall the belt. make sure that the belt is seated properly everywhere else though. i spent 30 minutes trying to reinstall a stage 2 belt when it was sitting on the outer half of the crank pulley

but if you use the crowbar method be careful not to bend up the pulley on the tensioner too much as itll wear out the belt after a while.

i did it by myself by pushing the crowbar down with my left hand and pulling the belt over the pulley with a long screw driver with my right. its tough though
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by southal cobalt
pry a small crowbar in below the the circular piece that you use to hoist the motor (not sure what its called sorry) and above the tensioner pulley. and youll push down on the tensioner pulley, thereby relieving the tension on the belt. in better terms, itll give you the slack to reinstall the belt. make sure that the belt is seated properly everywhere else though. i spent 30 minutes trying to reinstall a stage 2 belt when it was sitting on the outer half of the crank pulley

but if you use the crowbar method be careful not to bend up the pulley on the tensioner too much as itll wear out the belt after a while
Ahh good advice, so you're basically compressing the tensioner with the crowbar and downward foce; as opposed to using a wrench, correct? I'm trying to do this with a wrench, and it keeps slipping off as I rotate toward the engine block to compress the tensioner.

A crowbar would be much bigger and easier to handle than my 15mm wrench. Also, I noticed today one row of the belt was off the mark, sure made it easier when I aligned it properly in the grooves, almost got it on that time...

Thanks, any clarification is appreciated too
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Got er done! Unbolted the SC, used a combo of tilting the SC and prying on the bracket to achieve this! Needed two sets of hands to tighten down the SC, while keeping pressure on the tensioner bracket. If you let off the tensioner bracket pressure, the SC will come out of place from the force on the pulley, don't do this!