2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

porting my s/c RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rrutter81
intercooler 101

oh im sorry, maybe that whole bit about how molecules expand under heat was just b.s.

/sarcasm

read more please
I do read pal. But your stetment has nothing to so with what you were trying to say about sticking the balloon in the freezer. You sir need to read more
Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BOOSSTED 06
I do read pal. But your stetment has nothing to so with what you were trying to say about sticking the balloon in the freezer. You sir need to read more
k the world is flat too
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pully Police
Rutter,

In your experiment, you are assuming that the engine, piping, IC, etc etc are already at their maximum CFM capacity - which they are not.

Putting the balloon in the freezer does give you PSI drop - but it is due to the decrease in air temp causing the density to increase which results in a volume decrease.
correct
Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Banned

Putting the balloon in the freezer does give you PSI drop - but it is due to the decrease in air temp causing the density to increase which results in a volume decrease.
exactly what the intercooler is for. Its not a bunson burner.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM

k the world is flat too
you really are not that smart man, just cause you stick a balloon in the freezer, and it shrinks because the air is cooler and more dense does not explain why there is intercooler pressure drop.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

you really are not that smart man, just cause you stick a balloon in the freezer, and it shrinks because the air is cooler and more dense does not explain why there is intercooler pressure drop.
see above ^^^
im not going to repeat it because u skimmed over.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM

What factors affect the pressure or flow loss?
The internal flow area is the major controlling factor. Tube length is the second biggest consideration, as a tube twice as long as another will have nearly twice the drag at the same air velocity. Tube entry and turbulator density play small roles and can be considered insignificant. When configuring the orientation of the core in a given space, always position the core to offer the shortest length tube and the most number of tubes. Clearly, this optimizes the internal flow area.

What ranges of pressure loss can be expected? And what is acceptable?
For good solid performance, the pressure loss across the intercooler ought to be kept to less than 1.0 to 1.5 psi. If any pressure in excess of 4 psi is measured, then the intercooler is not suited for the job and certainly harming the performance.

Does one core style offer less restriction than another?
There are a few fine points that mean little. Essentially, they are all the same if the flow area is the major design consideration.

What is flow loss thru an intercooler?
Flow loss is what is measured in the pressure loss and is the restriction presented to the smooth, easy air flow through the system. Essentially, the drag. It is measured by a pressure difference between the air charge entering the intercooler to that exiting the intercooler. This flow loss is due to the aerodynamic drag offered by the shape, the net area of the tubes, the length of the tubes, and the density and style of the turbulators.

How/why is the flow loss significant?
The net result is the production of power. It is hugely important because the power required to drive the air thru the system must come from somewhere. Depending on whether the system is turbocharged or supercharged, will determine how much power is lost from the restriction.

Are there other factors of flow loss, in the intercooler assembly, rather than just the core?
Yes, entry into the intercooler inlet tank and the smoothness of the exit tank. The adjoining tube assemblies, their length, size and bend configurations are all part of the flow loss total.

AGAIN PRESSURE DROP THROUGH AND INTERCOOLER IS MUCH MORE DEPENDENT ON THE SHAPE AND PATH THROUGH THE INTERCOOLER.

YOU LOSE on that argument
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

my experiment is STRICTLY the intake.....

did you create 1 PSI?

then yes, it is at maximum. Please try again.

NEXT!
reading > you

the mechanics of an intercooler have nothing to do with a balloon and is an entirely different model. The effects of the intercooler on the intake can be used with that model.

reading>me since i obviously missed that we were talking about an intercooler instead of staying on topic with the SC/Intake manifold, and all the factors with cfm, psi and volume.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
k the world is flat too
argh matey, me liderhosen. got me nother pigeon. argh
Old 07-08-2008, 02:36 PM

reading > you

the mechanics of an intercooler have nothing to do with a balloon and is an entirely different model. The effects of the intercooler on the intake can be used with that model.

reading>me since i obviously missed that we were talking about an intercooler instead of staying on topic with the SC/Intake manifold, and all the factors with cfm, psi and volume.

what do you think the DAMN intake manifold is on our car. Its a freakin heat exchanger and there is pressure drop through it for the same reasons.

reading is not greater then me, Ive read everything, and what you talk about has no logic to it just like everyone else says.

Originally Posted by Area47
argh matey, me liderhosen. got me nother pigeon. argh

lol

reading > you

ito the statement in BOLD. NO THEY CAN'T. You are trying to make science man. these things have been tested and retested and your trying to make it work another way

I have realized arguing with you is like arguing with the guy that got a 7 in my fluid dynamics class back in undergrad. Oh yeah I said 7 out of 100

Last edited by BOOSSTED 06; 07-08-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

what do you think the DAMN intake manifold is on our car.
exactly that. An intake.

Just because they box them as a unit doesnt mean they are the same. If you think that, then you are REALLY walking a fine line and with such little substance, its showing me there really isnt much more to argue about short of the inner workings of an intercooler which is another thread topic.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM

exactly that. An intake.

Just because they box them as a unit doesnt mean they are the same. If you think that, then you are REALLY walking a fine line and with such little substance, its showing me there really isnt much more to argue about short of the inner workings of an intercooler which is another thread topic.

your a nutcase. You really have no clue what your talking about and seem to only know how to use the search button on google
Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

your a nutcase. You really have no clue what your talking about and seem to only know how to use the search button on google

Arguing with me is pointless when a simple google from reputable places proves what im talking about.
I even gave u little kiddie science experiments for u.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 PM

HOLY ****!!!!
BOB SAGET!!!!

It's amazing how rrutter got us all side tracked to avoid being lynched for being silly.
He was wrong about the porting, now he's got us all talking about intake manifolds.

Bottom line.... porting is da coolest.... the intake is restrictive.... CFM rules, PSI drools...
Old 07-08-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
HOLY ****!!!!
BOB SAGET!!!!

It's amazing how rrutter got us all side tracked to avoid being lynched for being silly.
He was wrong about the porting, now he's got us all talking about intake manifolds.

Bottom line.... porting is da coolest.... the intake is restrictive.... CFM rules, PSI drools...

you should get involved in the intake discussion though, you were going to work on yours. I think you stopped though. Can you please teach him a lesson since the only way he can get away from being wrong is to start another topic and be wrong at that one
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

lmfao i never brought up intercoolers and never wanted to...in fact i think it was you who did

you should get involved in the intake discussion though, you were going to work on yours. I think you stopped though. Can you please teach him a lesson since the only way he can get away from being wrong is to start another topic and be wrong at that one
like you did with CFM, PSI, and Dimensions/volume?

Last edited by rrutter81; 07-08-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Arguing with me is pointless when a simple google from reputable places proves what im talking about.
I even gave u little kiddie science experiments for u.
You dont understand what your googling though and that doesnt help your case. You then make claims and when I give you the correct info you change the subject or continue to try and make the points that you made sound, key word sound, correct
Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 PM

my experiment is STRICTLY the intake.....

did you create 1 PSI?

then yes, it is at maximum. Please try again.

NEXT!
Thats wrong. If there was no pressure, there would be no air movement. You engine draws in air by creating negative pressure, the air then rushes in to equalize that pressure. Your turbo does the same thing, it creates a neagtive pressure zone at the center and a positive pressure within the volute due to the difference in the surface areas on the compressor wheel as you increase the radius.

No pressure difference = No air movement.

Now...if you pressurize air it gets hotter. Some compressors can pressurize the air more efficiently and at lower turbine speeds than others, some compressors can pressurize more air per turbine revolution than others.

Why does the m62 at 19psi make less power than a properly sized turbo running at 15psi on the EXACT same engine???

Do you see what Area, Omega, and company are getting at here??
Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM

lmfao i never brought up intercoolers and never wanted to...in fact i think it was you who did

like you did with CFM, PSI, and Dimensions/volume?
no someone else brought it up and you proceeded to say throw the balloon in the freezer.
Stop saying Im doing things I havent done. I am replying to your stements.
Just like you telling me I took 1 inch of the triangle. Apparently you know me better then I do

Thats wrong. If there was no pressure, there would be no air movement. You engine draws in air by creating negative pressure, the air then rushes in to equalize that pressure. Your turbo does the same thing, it creates a neagtive pressure zone at the center and a positive pressure within the volute due to the difference in the surface areas on the compressor wheel as you increase the radius.

No pressure difference = No air movement.

Now...if you pressurize air it gets hotter. Some compressors can pressurize the air more efficiently and at lower turbine speeds than others, some compressors can pressurize more air per turbine revolution than others.

Why does the m62 at 19psi make less power than a properly sized turbo running at 15psi on the EXACT same engine???

BINGO!

Last edited by BOOSSTED 06; 07-08-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

You dont understand what your googling though and that doesnt help your case. You then make claims and when I give you the correct info you change the subject or continue to try and make the points that you made sound, key word sound, correct
ive asked several times for you to punch a hole in my 3rd grade science experiment. You failed and adding the intercooler isnt going to change the bottleneck.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:48 PM

I'm just watching.... waiting for him to say something really dumb about the IM.
As far as my work on it... I'm still doing a bit of stuff with respect to it.... I'm still held up on parts though.

ive asked several times for you to punch a hole in my 3rd grade science experiment. You failed and adding the intercooler isnt going to change the bottleneck.
I already said why it's flawed.
Your talking pressure pre-cooler.... not post cooler. Post cooler is where the action happens... where CFM reigns supreme over PSI and rules the mighty kingdom!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM

the hole is it does not work that way.

Here is another hole, what your saying with your experiment is that no matter how much psi you put in that ballon, aside from popping it, you will not increase whats going out.

SO, what your saying is that by changing the pulley on the stock blower you wouldnt get anything out of it, yes you have to tune to match the fuel for it, but your saying dropping that pulley size would have no affect on the amount of air going into the engine.

SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY BIG HOLE TO ME!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

i see what you are TRYING to do however.

the SC runs off the crank and u lose 50 hp at least from that.

add and overspun heaton out of effeciency range and you will drop alot of power.

heat increases volume/less air.

Comparing apples to oranges.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Omega_5
I'm just watching.... waiting for him to say something really dumb about the IM.
As far as my work on it... I'm still doing a bit of stuff with respect to it.... I'm still held up on parts though.
Im really interested in where things go with it, even though I dont have the car anymore I would like to know your results
Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM

i see what you are TRYING to do however.

the SC runs off the crank and u lose 50 hp at least from that.

add and overspun heaton out of effeciency range and you will drop alot of power.

heat increases volume/less air.

Comparing apples to oranges.
Look at the compressor map. If you have like a 2.5' pulley on there, at max boost, the parasitic loss is only like 36HP or something like that.

Quick Reply: porting my s/c RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK