2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Premium

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Omega_5
Dude... we drive Cobalts.... not super cars....
Cobalt = economy car
I hate to break this to everyone... but a Cobalt (SC or not) is not a high class sports car... deal with it!

And just to justify 87 octane for you.... my SC is my daily driver.... the grocery getter....
If I want speed, I have an R1...
If I want class, I'll drive my '72...
WHAT?! I thought I was on par with a corvette?! The dealer lied!

Oh lies!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:17 AM

Cobalt = economy car
I hate to break this to everyone... but a Cobalt (SC or not) is not a high class sports car... deal with it!

And just to justify 87 octane for you.... my SC is my daily driver.... the grocery getter....
Did you say you're a tech? If so I'm worried about GM touching my car now. Permium fuel has nothing to do with the class your car has so get over yourself. We should be running premium in our supercharged cars because the extra heat produced by the supercharge makes a lower octane have the tendancy to knock. The higher octane prevents this. I'm guessing you've never pushed your car for longer then a short burst or two in a row.

Congrats you run 87 in your car, you've proven nothing more then your a tight ass. I'll stick with permium because knock is more likely to occur with lessor fuels and especially in the summer when it's hot and hotter air is coming into the engine, not a -20. Silly Canadian. Plus I want all the performance I can get, even if it's only an extra hp from the permium. Plus 2 dollars a fill up is nothing for a little extra piece of mind and to not hear my car knocking.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM

go to your local race track and fill up 3/4 93 and 1/4 120 =) feel the burn
Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 AM

i think the point of it all is simple

run whatever the hell you want, ignore the owners manual, gm was probably just lying so people waste money (i hardly call 2$ a waste per fill up) but whatever.

</sarcasm>
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM

Exclamation

Cobalt = economy car

your not very smart are you... you might be fuel reseacher blah blah.. and you have been lucky so far.. but the type of car we drive has nothing to do with how combustion takes effect.. keep running the low octane.. i could careless what you run.. but ill be the day you have some fun little "twinks"...

you "research" fuel... i tear apart and build motors and see what low octane can do whether or not your pieces of papers with reports tell you that..

but to each his own no?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IMADreamer
Did you say you're a tech? If so I'm worried about GM touching my car now. Permium fuel has nothing to do with the class your car has so get over yourself. We should be running premium in our supercharged cars because the extra heat produced by the supercharge makes a lower octane have the tendancy to knock. The higher octane prevents this. I'm guessing you've never pushed your car for longer then a short burst or two in a row.

Congrats you run 87 in your car, you've proven nothing more then your a tight ass. I'll stick with permium because knock is more likely to occur with lessor fuels and especially in the summer when it's hot and hotter air is coming into the engine, not a -20. Silly Canadian. Plus I want all the performance I can get, even if it's only an extra hp from the permium. Plus 2 dollars a fill up is nothing for a little extra piece of mind and to not hear my car knocking.

/end thread
Old 03-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by an0malous

but all of it is moot. until someone answers for me why they can justify the cost of an ss or ss/sc every month over the far cheaper, more fuel economic, and *happily runs on 87 octane" 2.2L cobalt*
What justification are you looking for......a long drawn out cost benefit analysis? Why would you purchase the SS/SC over a 2.2. Could it be the horsepower and rush of the supercharger! The SS/SC gets pretty good fuel economy also (I'm at 28.3). I'll list the "justification" I went through in chosing an SS/SC over a more fuel efficient car.

The Colbalt SS/SC vs a more fuel efficient car

1. Looks great compared to the blazae' competitors comparable vehicles
2. Manufacturer says it gets up to 29 MPG
3. 205 supercharged horse power - feels great
4. Simple but nice interior (love the Recaro seats)
5. The car will be my daily driver
6. If I keep it there will be lots of upgrades available (engine, suspension)
7. The car received very good reviews in the magazines
8. Can run 89 octane if need be
9. Cost of the vehicle ownership is acceptable given the driving enjoyment - meets my wants and expectations
10. It's not a supercar but it can hold it's own against most vehicles.
11. In three years I will probably put 120,000 on it so the price is right.
12. In three years I will probably put 120,000 on it so I can buy another vehicle and totally mod this car since it is a cheap but good platform to start.
13. Payments still fit my overall budget (home, another car payment, food, utilities, my son will be going to college, daily tolls, etc).

These are just some of the things I listed when comparing different types and brands of vehicles. I would love to have bought an M3 or an EVO but with the miles I drive, the damage that would occur to the vehicle, and the price of the car....the SS/SC was a very good choice. If I wear the engine out, I can drop in a new bullet but with all of the mods done to it to squeaze out the extra horsepower; Because at that time, it will be a second car and I will fulfill my passion, to build a car that will "decimate all" or pretty damn close. If not....no big loss. They make cars while you sleep!!!

That's justification enough for me. If you were looking for some scientific process that provides a yes or no end result.......there is none unless you are looking specifically for the highest MPG possible or the lowest emissions possible. None of these car falls into that class.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
What justification are you looking for......a long drawn out cost benefit analysis? Why would you purchase the SS/SC over a 2.2. Could it be the horsepower and rush of the supercharger! The SS/SC gets pretty good fuel economy also (I'm at 28.3). I'll list the "justification" I went through in chosing an SS/SC over a more fuel efficient car.

The Colbalt SS/SC vs a more fuel efficient car

1. Looks great compared to the blazae' competitors comparable vehicles
2. Manufacturer says it gets up to 29 MPG
3. 205 supercharged horse power - feels great
4. Simple but nice interior (love the Recaro seats)
5. The car will be my daily driver
6. If I keep it there will be lots of upgrades available (engine, suspension)
7. The car received very good reviews in the magazines
8. Can run 89 octane if need be
9. Cost of the vehicle ownership is acceptable given the driving enjoyment - meets my wants and expectations
10. It's not a supercar but it can hold it's own against most vehicles.
11. In three years I will probably put 120,000 on it so the price is right.
12. In three years I will probably put 120,000 on it so I can buy another vehicle and totally mod this car since it is a cheap but good platform to start.
13. Payment still fit my overall budget

These are just some of the things I listed when comparing different types and brands of vehicles. I would love to have bought an M3 or an EVO but with the miles I drive, the damage that would occur to the vehicle, and the price of the car....the SS/SC was a very good choice. If I wear the engine out, I can drop in a new bullet but with all of the mods done to it to squeaze out the extra horsepower. Because at the time, it will be a second car and I will fulfill my passion, to build a car that will "decimate all" or pretty damn close.

That's justification enough for me. If you were looking for some scientific process that provides a yes or no end result.......there is none unless you are looking specifically for the highest MPG possible or the lowest emissions possible. None of these car falls into that class.
thats a great list of justifications but i think you missed the point.....and uh.....you didnt answer the question......
Im not asking someone to tell me why they bought the higher trim level.

the question was.....how can you have all those great justifications....and pay that $X more every single month, and somehow be happy to take a risk on your engine, and reduce your HP (which was a part of many of your justification points) just to save $2 a fillup.

My point is.
If you are so tight for money that you cant afford to look after your baby and get all the ponies out of her for a mere $2 at the pump.....then i think you made a bad financial decision when you decided to spend thousands of dollars more for the 2.4 or ss/sc.

Cobalt = economy car

Im not even gonna try responding to this in detail.

Other than to say, do as you wish. im not arguing with someone who has such a twisted view of the truth.

Last edited by an0malous; 03-13-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

ummmmmmm..........why do they make premium? i think it's because it's better. my owner's manual says it's better.........i use it cause it's better.........i like peanuts.........kittens are cute.........
Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
thats a great list of justifications but i think you missed the point.....and uh.....you didnt answer the question......
Im not asking someone to tell me why they bought the higher trim level.

the question was.....how can you have all those great justifications....and pay that $X more every single month, and somehow be happy to take a risk on your engine, and reduce your HP (which was a part of many of your justification points) just to save $2 a fillup.

My point is.
If you are so tight for money that you cant afford to look after your baby and get all the ponies out of her for a mere $2 at the pump.....then i think you made a bad financial decision when you decided to spend thousands of dollars more for the 2.4 or ss/sc.

Im not even gonna try responding to this in detail.

Other than to say, do as you wish. im not arguing with someone who has such a twisted view of the truth.
No.....I don't think you read exaclty what you wrote in the quote from my last post. READ WHAT YOU WROTE. I know what the thread is about and what everyone here has talked about. You could simply say (to your point) "I don't agree with using a lower octane fuel given you only save about $.90 per tank with the potential to ruin your engine from the effects of engine knock." Why is the sky blue, why do birds sing......you should know nothing is "black and white"
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM

THIS IS RETARTED.. you should use the highest grade fuel available. it had nothing to do with the class of car you drive..

turbo a kia... i bet ull use premium .. but its a kia.. so u shouldnt use premium...
hahaha got me?

forced induction and high compression motors are more prone to knock and high heat and need the extra octane to prevent this.... we have a supercharger=forced induction

you say u have a stock car and ur fine.. i run premium 93 all day every day....

i got dynoed stock in 25 degree F weather.. i can post the dyno sheet and show how lean i got towards my 6500 rpm redline.. seriously if i had less than 93, somethin may have happened....

and i bet you dont do many runs back to back or have strung out runs...

if you dont care about the cars performance then y didnt u just buy the LS cobalt where u can put 87 in all day and have **** loads cheaper payments...

$2 is the difference maker.. if anybody is too cheap to "SPLURGE" an extra $2 a week for an added insurance (and power) for your pretty expensive motor.. IMO thats pretty damn sad
Old 03-13-2007, 05:48 PM

I knew this place was just like the rest...

Like I said... what do I know?
On the internet everyone is an expert...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
No.....I don't think you read exaclty what you wrote in the quote from my last post. READ WHAT YOU WROTE. I know what the thread is about and what everyone here has talked about. You could simply say (to your point) "I don't agree with using a lower octane fuel given you only save about $.90 per tank with the potential to ruin your engine from the effects of engine knock." Why is the sky blue, why do birds sing......you should know nothing is "black and white"
no, you misquoted me.
and left off the crux of the question.

YOU read what I wrote.

This is what you quoted "but all of it is moot. until someone answers for me why they can justify the cost of an ss or ss/sc every month over the far cheaper, more fuel economic, and *happily runs on 87 octane" 2.2L cobalt*"

now this......which is what I wrote in full.....makes a WHOLE different question.

but all of it is moot. until someone answers for me why they can justify the cost of an ss or ss/sc every month over the far cheaper, more fuel economic, and *happily runs on 87 octane" 2.2L cobalt*

but take the risk to save $2 every fillup.

See, im not asking "why did you buy the ss/sc or 2.4, instead of the 2.2"

Im asking "why did you decide to spend extra money every single month to have the ss/sc or 2.4, and yet risk your vehicle and reduce the HP that your paying for every month..... to save yourself a mere $2 a fillup"

2 very very different questions.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:47 PM

i hardly notice a difference between 87 and 93...prices that is...id rather pay the extra dollar or two then spend hundreds or thousands for repairs
Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 PM

I'll leave it at that......I understand your point and the reasoning.....I'm just a corn skimmer at the sewage treatment plant!

Last edited by shadowfaxss; 03-13-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 PM

i have always used 93. except the one time i let my mother drive the car she decided to fill the tank with 87. car ran like crap for like 2 tank fulls then cleaned up.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 PM

I knew this place was just like the rest...

Like I said... what do I know?
On the internet everyone is an expert...
Everyone thinks they're an expert, just like you.

Go build some freaking engines and do some dyno tuning and come back and tell us how your 87 octane works.