2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Question about the boost gauge..

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the boost gauge..

So when the car is running where does the needle usually sit on gauge? I'd assume 0? I have had this car forever, and lol I can not for the life of me remeber where it set.. but any who when I do floor my boost will goto around 17psi but then drops off, like the car doesnt hold boost, and falls on its face. ZZP told me about the bypass valve on the sc, I have searched the engine ont he forums and looked around, and I cannot find it. Anyone care to help me out? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
it should idle about 20"hg

if your looking for the boost bypass it is the black plunger peice on the blower. this is connected via a vacuum hose to the boost solenoid
Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by JapEatr
it should idle about 20"hg

if your looking for the boost bypass it is the black plunger peice on the blower. this is connected via a vacuum hose to the boost solenoid
Yeah I found a couple things on it through google search, but jap how do I know if it is bad on my car?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM

o and one other thing mine completely sits at the bottom of the gauge now if i gas it it'll jump up, but like i aid in first post if i try to ride it out, the boost drops drastically.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Never mind I lied it idols right on 19Hg, right on the money. But why does the boost fall?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Could be:

-Bad bypass valve
-Bad belt or belt is too big
-Tensioner is going bad and belt slips at higher rpm
etc..
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM

If the belt slips you could probably hear it :P
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrSlickSter06SS
Never mind I lied it idols right on 19Hg, right on the money. But why does the boost fall?
what do you mean "why does the boost fall"?! please elaborate on this!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by HopnDude
really

it means it reaches peak then falls off and a number of things can cause it worn belt bad bypass solenoid bad bypass actuator a boost leak
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
really

it means it reaches peak then falls off and a number of things can cause it worn belt bad bypass solenoid bad bypass actuator a boost leak
What he said ^ Lol. Which I've learned it could be the solenoid is bad ;/ BuT part of having fun with the balt =) O Mr. B I found that the downstream O2 sensor had a wire burnt off lol.. goooo figure egh? But now my A/F went from 10.0 - to 18.0 ;| Lol.. I am going to go back to stock intake, and open the box up and see what that gives me.. well take the box, and do some modifying atleast make it look good yeah!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Anywho when I put the car under max load, and I am flooring it like I am in the Daytona 500 my boost goes up, and creats boost But I lose it causing my boost gauge to drop back down past 0 to like 10 Hg.. So I then found some insight on the bypass, and I believe my solenoid is bad. Along with everything else lmao.. So I am just getting over whelmed man, and sometimes to much info has you thinking like a goose on the highway.. Bare with me brother!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Question! Have you done any service work to the car recently before the problem, or has the problem been like this for a bit?!

The reason I ask is this;

I just did a dual pass intercooler plate/heat exchanger pump (mine wasn't working). I put everything back together, and started throwing 9 codes. Not sure what all happened. Pulled everything back apart, cleaned the MAP sensor and the Throttle Body. Put everything slowly back together, to double check, made an extra effort the 2nd time to clean all the gasket surfaces, and oil any rubber rings. 2nd time I fired it up, still had the engine light on, but car was running fine. Cleared the codes, it's running like a champ.

The 1st time I took it for a test drive, it would build almost 10lbs of boost, and fall off pretty damn quick! I knew I had a leak somewhere, not sure where.

The 2nd time I took extra precaution to make sure EVERY contact surface was f*cking spotless of ANYTHING. Boost holds when under load, and runs on vacuum while cruising.

Not sure where I goofed, but it's run'n like a raped ape now!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM

Question! Have you done any service work to the car recently before the problem, or has the problem been like this for a bit?!

The reason I ask is this;

I just did a dual pass intercooler plate/heat exchanger pump (mine wasn't working). I put everything back together, and started throwing 9 codes. Not sure what all happened. Pulled everything back apart, cleaned the MAP sensor and the Throttle Body. Put everything slowly back together, to double check, made an extra effort the 2nd time to clean all the gasket surfaces, and oil any rubber rings. 2nd time I fired it up, still had the engine light on, but car was running fine. Cleared the codes, it's running like a champ.

The 1st time I took it for a test drive, it would build almost 10lbs of boost, and fall off pretty damn quick! I knew I had a leak somewhere, not sure where.

The 2nd time I took extra precaution to make sure EVERY contact surface was f*cking spotless of ANYTHING. Boost holds when under load, and runs on vacuum while cruising.

Not sure where I goofed, but it's run'n like a raped ape now!

Hmm no sir, just keep getting a cell for the MAP sensor. Althought Idid awhile back do lots 4th gen h/e and option b. I also found yesterday well noticed that my heat exchanger on the driver side is bent upwards like I hit. Bd bump but I don't recall hitting any bump cause I watch all the bumps. But it got there some how... So other then that I am unsure.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Yeah, I don't know why, or where. But I think my leak was some where in the vicinity of the Intake/Head connection. I didn't torque anything to spec, but I did torque the bolts a little more than the first time. No leaks now! I didn't try busting a vein in my neck when tightening them nor did I use a LONG handle 3/8 ratchet. I didn't want them to tight and striping out. But I believe that is where my leak was.