2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Question about tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about tuning.

Sup everyone, i have a stage 2 getting intalled this Friday. I was just curious. There is a very reputable GM tuner here in the Tampa area called Fasterproms. This tuner works wonders with LS motors but i had just found out recently that he also works on LSj motors as well. Well, heres my question:

I wanted to order a 2.9 pulley and get a custom tune from this company. How would the factory warranty fair up after i do this. Im aware that the 2.9 would void, but its an easy fix to switch back to stage 2 pulley if i need service. Does custom tuning void the warranty at all? This would be harder to hide from GM.

I looked all over the forum for an answer but havnt seen a thread with what im looking for. So either my search button is broken or i suck at search, at any rate, all help welcome!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM

I wouldnt waste my money ont he stage 2 tune if your just going to re-tune it anyway, just buy your own injectors and 2.9 and get them to tune it.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM

well,I guess what I really want is to get as much out of the car without losing that warranty. If getting a costum tune will void my warranty then I more than likely wont be doing it. That's my concern
Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 PM

just build it and then keep ur stock **** and if something happens to where u really need warrenty work take the 2-3 hours to re install ur stock
Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Redtide
Sup everyone, i have a stage 2 getting intalled this Friday. I was just curious. There is a very reputable GM tuner here in the Tampa area called Fasterproms. This tuner works wonders with LS motors but i had just found out recently that he also works on LSj motors as well. Well, heres my question:

I wanted to order a 2.9 pulley and get a custom tune from this company. How would the factory warranty fair up after i do this. Im aware that the 2.9 would void, but its an easy fix to switch back to stage 2 pulley if i need service. Does custom tuning void the warranty at all? This would be harder to hide from GM.

I looked all over the forum for an answer but havnt seen a thread with what im looking for. So either my search button is broken or i suck at search, at any rate, all help welcome!
Supposedly, nothing you do will void the warranty, UNLESS, they can prove what you did caused the problems that you're trying to get fixed under warranty.
As for opinion, don't waste the time and money on the stage two if you're going to change out pullies and get a custom tune. I don't know if you've actually priced the cost of custom tuning but it's quite high in most places(Dyno time, tuner's time, HPT Credits to tune your particular car). For example, here it would cost about $200/hr.
It's also a matter of what you want to do with the car and why you want it to have more power (Qtr mile, circle track, roadcourse, autoX?).
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 PM

To be honest, i dont have too many demands out of my car. I wouldnt mind being able to get around 300 at my motor. That would make me happy and give me the bragging rights i want. I really dont race the car at all and dont plan on it except on some occasions.

I know this seems retarded to most of you but after riding a bike its hard to get the thrill out of a car unless MAJOR work is considered. I just want to be able to tell people that my car has 300hp, wether that be at the motor/wheels/steering wheel/valve stems isnt important. Not sure if that sounds "ricey" or whatever but i mainly care about looks and something to suprise people if they ask and also like a car that has some ***** at least, for my own sake.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Redtide
To be honest, i dont have too many demands out of my car. I wouldnt mind being able to get around 300 at my motor. That would make me happy and give me the bragging rights i want. I really dont race the car at all and dont plan on it except on some occasions.

I know this seems retarded to most of you but after riding a bike its hard to get the thrill out of a car unless MAJOR work is considered. I just want to be able to tell people that my car has 300hp, wether that be at the motor/wheels/steering wheel/valve stems isnt important. Not sure if that sounds "ricey" or whatever but i mainly care about looks and something to suprise people if they ask and also like a car that has some ***** at least, for my own sake.
I don't think there's anyone on here that would mind being able to get around 300.
As for not getting a thrill out of a car after riding a bike... I own a ZX-10, just a few cc's more than a 6, and I still get a thrill out of (legally) racing my car. My motor is still stock, on a stock pulley. The guys do joke that I have the driver mod though
If you want to get an easy "around 300", I'd say go with a well tuned 2.7 or 2.8 with bigger injectors, the belt, intake, exhaust, and a little shot of the juice. Make sure to have the cooling mods to support and the suspension.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Anything you do to your car that GM doesn't say is ok will screw you on warranty. Now there are going to be a dozen guys here tell you they have to prove your part caused the failure but that's a load of bullshit because if you add 1hp to you car they can blame anything on that saying the car was not built for 206hp it was built for 205hp. It really is that easy for them and if you or anyone else thinks differently you are just kidding yourselves. So don't listen to those billy bad ass guys who will come on here crying Magnuson Moss Warranty act and all that useless junk. That act isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

If you want your warranty stick with stage 2. If you want more then stage 2 skip stage 2 get a small pulley some 60s, supporting mods, and a good tune.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't listen to these fools.

Get the GM stage 2 kit installed at your dealer. When they are done they put a nice little sticker says "This car is have been upgraded by GM and if anything happens to it is covered by GM. So drive me hard!!!!" Ok it doesn't say that exactly but anyway....

Buy a smaller pulley and then go to your tuner. If something happens it is 958,738,883,001 time easier and faster to swap a interchangeable pulley then to swap out a pulley, pulley hub and injectors.

Did everyone forget that the stock pulley is a press on pulley? If his car breaks down on the side of the road he could swap out a 4 bolt pulley in 3 mins. Then call GM roadside assistance.

If he car breaks down on the side of the road and he has a kit he put together himself he would have to get the car towed to his house or to a garage. Pull his s/c, swap the injectors, get a pulley puller to pull his pulley, find a press to press on his stock pulley and put on his stock belt.

AND THEN

either push his car to the side of the road and call roadside assistance

OR

think of a good excuse of how he blew his engine in his own driveway or the parking lot of a garage.

If you care about your warranty it is a no brainer!

And second of all there is very little $$$ savings from putting together your own kit.

Watch ebay and you will find a GM Stage 2 kit for about $450 shipped. GM has a standard install rate on the GM Stage 2 kit of 2 hours. If anyone paid more then that then they are a moron and should have done more research. 2 hours labor at $80/hour is $160. So for about $600 you get a kit, tune and most importantly a warranty.

Now if you feel like building a kit:

Lucas injectors $159.00
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=481&catid=143

Injector harness $49.99

ZZP modular pulley kit $99.99
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=446&catid=142

GM belt $48
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=559&catid=142

So all together you are looking at $360. So you save $90 in parts? You would still need to bring your car to your tuner and still get charged for a 2 hour install. And then you will have to pay for a tune.

And Third of all our cars are hard to drive.

Everyone knows this. Learn to properly drive your car stock. Get GM stage 2 and then learn how do drive that setup. Then get a custom tune if you really want to. You might find out that you are very happy with Stage 2 and don't need a custom tune. Honestly there is a big difference between the stock and stage 2 power levels.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses!