2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Removed supercharger. Couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed supercharger. Couple questions.

Today I removed my supercharger from my 06 Cobalt SS. I cleaned it all out, plan to change the oil, and port and polish as much as I can. First question, I removed the actuator from the second plate on the bottom of the supercharger (see pic 1) because I was told all this does is regulate boost and you could get more psi if you took it off, is this confirmed? Second, I hear alot about the 2 oval holes that you can "plug", I believe I found them, are they directly under the supercharger when you take it off which feeds into the intake manifold (see pic 2). And not a question but I am trying to design a 3/4" throttle body spacer out of wood. Just alittle project to preoccupy my time, have you ever heard of anyone doing this? And do you think it would do anything? I plan to sand it and make it look as nice as possible, not sure if I'll be keeping it, just bored. I put some pics up let me know what you think.

Pic 1

Pic 2

This is how I plan to plug the oval holes...

Custom throttle body spacer (prototype)

With throttle body on it...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think wood is not a good idea because the heaton gets pretty hot, so i don't know how that would work out.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:57 PM

heres a couple shots of the supercharger broke down.

Engine without supercharger on it.

Sorry about quality. Cell phone pictures.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
dont remove the bypass valve ull never drop boost(which is bad), also the wood is a no go do a little research before you go and throw a hunk of wood on your car
Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CptTheAlex
I would think wood is not a good idea because the heaton gets pretty hot, so i don't know how that would work out.
I thought about that as well. I had planned after sanding it to clear cloat with engine paint. or possible put some type of metal facing on it. Im not too worried about it, I might not even be using it, just tinkering.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:05 PM

not to mention the fact that it appears like you're thinking of using cardboard to plug the silencer holes.

this is going to turn into a "My car burned down because i used wood and cardboard in my supercharger."

lol

hopefully those are just templates
Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

no to about everything you posted. not being a dick. but no.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89
not to mention the fact that it appears like you're thinking of using cardboard to plug the silencer holes.

this is going to turn into a "My car burned down because i used wood and cardboard in my supercharger."

lol

hopefully those are just templates
haha no not cardboard. its a piece of aluminum.

thanks for the responses. The ones I was concerned about was the "boost bypass mod" I guess you would call it, and the silencer holes. Guess the boost mod is a bad idea? and if those are the silencer holes then I should be all set on that.

Last edited by jpsgotboost; 11-22-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jpsgotboost
haha no not cardboard. its a piece of aluminum.

thanks for the responses. The ones I was concerned about was the "boost bypass mod" I guess you would call it, and the silencer holes. Guess the boost mod is a bad idea? and if those are the silencer holes then I should be all set on that.
haha sorry i couldn't see what that was. :P

yeah i don't know much about the bypass valve thing. it just doesn't sound like a great idea lol.

and people have used i believe some other epoxy's to plug the holes. i can't see your idea being a bad one but idk man.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
put the bypass valve back on or choke yourself to death.

It's your choice.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89
haha sorry i couldn't see what that was. :P

yeah i don't know much about the bypass valve thing. it just doesn't sound like a great idea lol.

and people have used i believe some other epoxy's to plug the holes. i can't see your idea being a bad one but idk man.
yeah im still up in the air about the bypass thing. im still tinkering with it and researching how it works. I wont be using any of this until I feel 110% confident that it will work. The throttle body plate is gonna be used more as a template for when I get some metal and can fabricate it out of that. I planned on using some type of engine sealant around the outside of the cover and around the holes and clamp it in place over night. I felt using a plate would be alittle safer than any kind of glue because I am worried about the pressure blowing it off and with this set up the plate will not fall into the intake manifold.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 PM

a throttle body spacer will not do anything at all, unless its tapped for meth or nitrous. blocking the holes only makes it louder, and please put the regulator back on. nothing you posted will do anything except the porting and even then dont do to much. port match the tb to the inlet and smoothdont make any thing larger.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

wood tb spacer? wow...
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

As everyone else has stated, a wood throttle body spacer is irrelevant, especially if you are not using meth/nitrous, there is no point. Also the only way you should be plugging the silencer holes is with jb weld/quick steel type of stuff. That is the ONLY way. Anything else will be a huge restriction for the blower and change the way the air flows drastically, don't do that. Also leave the boost bypass valve on, it's not worthless, there is a reason it's there lol.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:59 PM

dont even jb weld some have had the **** fall out, you don t want that now do you
Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
As everyone else has stated, a wood throttle body spacer is irrelevant, especially if you are not using meth/nitrous, there is no point. Also the only way you should be plugging the silencer holes is with jb weld/quick steel type of stuff. That is the ONLY way. Anything else will be a huge restriction for the blower and change the way the air flows drastically, don't do that. Also leave the boost bypass valve on, it's not worthless, there is a reason it's there lol.
that funny because ive read multiple time do not weld, or use jb weld. the method i am using will have no restriction because the only thing it is covering is the two oval vents, hence the reason the triangle shape is cut out. I do not see how jb weld or any other epoxy could be deemed "only way" seeing as there is the obvious risk of it coming loose and causing who knows what damage to the engine. I believe this plate is the best way because I dont have to worry about it coming loose and getting down into the engine or up into the supercharger.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

I didn't say weld, I said use something like jb weld or quick steel. How do you plan on keeping the "plate" in place? It's a terrible idea.

Also a lot of members have used quicksteel without issue, it won't "fall" into your motor. That plate of aluminum will also heat up very very quickly just as a heads up, also it WILL change the way the air is traveling whether you agree or not.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 11-22-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM

I didn't say weld, I said use something like jb weld or quick steel. How do you plan on keeping the "plate" in place? It's a terrible idea.
as stated earlier i plan to use a type of engine sealant around the outside and around the holes to hold the plate in place, but as is now it fits so snug i have to pry it out with a flat head so after its sealed in place im not to worried about it going anywhere.

I agree it will change the way the air is flowing because the vents are no longer usable, but as for the amount of air going in it shouldnt be an issue at all. the aluminum plate fits snug and after it is sealed shouldnt have any leaks.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jpsgotboost
i plan to use a type of engine sealant around the outside and around the holes to hold the plate in place
why waste money on silicone? just use chewed up bubble gum instead, it will work just as good.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned

lol. There is no way that plate is going to sit level, think about that.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM

lol. There is no way that plate is going to sit level, think about that.
dont worry about it when he ***** up his engine its his fault. And wood? really?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM

He said prototype. Pretty sure the wood is for mock-up purposes..
Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

It doesn't matter what it's for....it's a joke to put anything inside of the supercharger.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 PM

why don't you guy let him do his own experiments?
:p
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by WiseIon
why don't you guy let him do his own experiments?
:p
because the forum members are trying to help this guy from blowing himself up along with his car and facing big repair bills. The thread is pointless the OP didnt want advice he just wanted us to know what he is doing.And maybe congratulate him for being so clever. In fact what he is doing is stupid ; thats it/thats all, but c'est la vie....

Quick Reply: Removed supercharger. Couple questions.