2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Review: ZZP BRFS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think im just going to have zzp install it when the time comes, I am not dropping the fuel tank, someone else can deal with that
Old 08-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Iono, dropping the tank was easy. Took me a whole 10 minutes.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM

nice to see someone else has one installed
Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Yeah, well...

Everything seemed good, but now that I got to fine tuning the car. It seems my regulator from ZZP is bad.

Sent an email off to customer serivce. I figure I won't get a reply until Monday. Hopefully I can get a replacement. Been diaging the car for the past 3 days. Everything points to regulator.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup this is a good buy had one when they first came out and it worked great ottp one is just prettier but they do the same ****.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Wes did you get a new regulator setup coming from ZZP. Would really like to see the final word on this setup.. Did you follow the LSJSchaffer tutorial on HPT forums and run the stock 42psi base pressure or whatev?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM

ZZP sent me a replacement regulator, no questions asked. Should be here Thursday. They are also sending me something for my fuel canister I needed without even charging me.

So far, they are by far the best in customer service that I have dealt with. Answering emails promptly and helping me with parts however I want/need.

Will have the new stuff installed Thursday and try tuning again.

I am going to run a base of 4 bar and tune from there. Should be enough with 80's.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 AM

Sounds good. Glad they're taking care of you.

So it sounds like you're keeping the EVAP system functional? Any reason why? It certainly isn't needed unless you want to be 100% emissions compliant. It seems so much easier to me to just use the EVAP line as the boost reference line. What did you get from them? The $25 EVAP fitting?

I'd be real interested to know what needs changed in the tune for the 80's and this BRFPS.... As in what IFR settings you used and such. I've seen recommendations on HPT and GMSC but I'm not sure how much things change with the 80's.

I'd like to not mess with adjusting their regulator. Does it come preset to work OK for your setup? Why did you need to adjust?

Thanks and good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WSFrazier
ZZP sent me a replacement regulator, no questions asked. Should be here Thursday. They are also sending me something for my fuel canister I needed without even charging me.

So far, they are by far the best in customer service that I have dealt with. Answering emails promptly and helping me with parts however I want/need.

Will have the new stuff installed Thursday and try tuning again.

I am going to run a base of 4 bar and tune from there. Should be enough with 80's.
I'm surprised that your regulator has issues. We use OEM GM regulators, which are usually quite reliable. I guess anything can happen.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Yeah, not sure what went wrong.

It isn't adding or pulling fuel pressure. I put a gauge on the end of the vac line I ran, no kinks and sees the right amount of vacuum.

But after I set base pressure with vac line disconnected, then re-attach the vac line... Fuel pressure would only drop about 1-2 psi, even tho the car was idling about -9 psi. And I assume it wasn't adding fuel either because even with base pressure of 69, I was going super lean and running out of fuel at 5k rpm with 80# injectors.

Good thing I wasn't running lots of timing or dino gas because those fuel cuts I were hitting came out of no where and were pretty rough. Most likely would have blown a hole in a piston.

This issue has me worried now and I think I might pick up a good fuel pressure gauge to put in the car to monitor it.

Last edited by WSFrazier; 08-25-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I don't think the regulator is bad but it's possible. Sending a replacement was the easiest/fastest way to know for sure. We can always get it back if it's not the cause of the issue.

Glad you like the service. WE're trying
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM

zoomer there is an order for an Eric Soto for a maf tube/bung can u give me an update on that please?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rico
zoomer there is an order for an Eric Soto for a maf tube/bung can u give me an update on that please?
You'd have to email cust serv.
I'm answering those today.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM

k. done
Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Looks like my problem was fixed, and it didn't need the new regulator ZZP sent me.

I won't know for sure until I can get my hands on HPT tomorrow, but it isn't hitting fuel cut anymore and its actually pulling 9-10psi of pressure at idle/vacuum.

Only thing I did was use the block plate/disc that ZZP sent me to replace with my OEM regulator. Makes no sense to me why that little disc would make it work, since fuel was getting dumped into the canister either way... But whatever. Seems to be okay.

Will post for sure when I know with HPTuners.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Good to hear I am guessing your spoolingsol on the other site?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM

zzps customer service is the ****, love dealing with them
Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes I have never had a problem with them.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subd
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Only thing I did was use the block plate/disc that ZZP sent me to replace with my OEM regulator. Makes no sense to me why that little disc would make it work, since fuel was getting dumped into the canister either way... But whatever. Seems to be okay.

Is your car an 05? I have the zzp brfs option 2 on my car but I have not started it yet since my turbo kit is not done, but I noticed during the install my fuel pump canister was a lot different than the picture on the zzp site, which makes sense considering the 05's have a different pump. I am wondering if I need the disc thing you are talking about. I do not remember getting a block plate/ disc with my brfs kit.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Looks like my problem was fixed, and it didn't need the new regulator ZZP sent me.

I won't know for sure until I can get my hands on HPT tomorrow, but it isn't hitting fuel cut anymore and its actually pulling 9-10psi of pressure at idle/vacuum.

Originally Posted by y2kzman
Is your car an 05? I have the zzp brfs option 2 on my car but I have not started it yet since my turbo kit is not done, but I noticed during the install my fuel pump canister was a lot different than the picture on the zzp site, which makes sense considering the 05's have a different pump. I am wondering if I need the disc thing you are talking about. I do not remember getting a block plate/ disc with my brfs kit.

Thanks
Wes, is your car the 05' as the other guy said? I was under the impression that only the 05's and some of the Ion's needed the disc installed to work properly because of a different fuel pump. I am hoping my 07' will work properly with the kit as-is.

Also what did you use for a fuel pressure gauge? Did you just temporary hook one up the the schrader valve up front? If so which gauge and adapter worked well?

Last edited by csementuh; 08-27-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by csementuh
Wes, is your car the 05' as the other guy said? I was under the impression that only the 05's and some of the Ion's needed the disc installed to work properly because of a different fuel pump. I am hoping my 07' will work properly with the kit as-is.

Also what did you use for a fuel pressure gauge? Did you just temporary hook one up the the schrader valve up front? If so which gauge and adapter worked well?
Its an 05, the pump and canister is different than the later years.

We measured fuel pressure both at the rail and at the regulator. He'll know for sure if everything is fixed after he snags my hptuners cable today.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zooomer
Personally I don't think the regulator is bad but it's possible. Sending a replacement was the easiest/fastest way to know for sure. We can always get it back if it's not the cause of the issue.

Glad you like the service. WE're trying
I didn't get to spend too much time on the car after the stock regulator was reconnected but any idea if leaving it connected with the zzp regulator set at 4.8bar would affect the zzp regulator's ability to pull fuel pressure while in vacuum? Thats one of two issues he was having.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Wes or Al, can you guys give me some info on what I can use for a fuel pressure gauge? There are lots of gauges, most all of which use a 1/8"NPT port on the back. Our cars have the Schrader valve on the fuel line going to the rail. So you need a -4AN female to 1/8"NPT female fitting I believe. Know where to source this it? Anything locally for the gauge and adapter?

Why the need for 4.8bar (~69.61psi)? Seems like a pretty high base pressure. I figure I'd set mine to 4bar so the base is the stock fuel pressure and then the vacuum should pull the pressure lower at idle to improve the idle quality and help with those short pulse widths on the 80's...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:10 PM

I got mine set at 58psi for base now and its idling really good. I am having problems without the little plastic block off adaptor when my tank is under half full. looks like Im going to have to drop the tank again. Must cause to much of a ruckus in the canister for the pump to get the fuel when less than half ful

Quick Reply: Review: ZZP BRFS