2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Running Lean

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Lean

I have had my cobalt ss\sc in the shop three times in the past 2 months, first time was that it was running too lean and stalling out, next time the fuel filter was clogged and now it is going in again for running too lean in bank one. has anyone else had this problem?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM

well if anyone else is getting this message it is due to a computer problem that GM is having with the Cobalts, HHRs, Malibus, and a few other vehicles that had new computers issued for the years 2005 and 2006. They do not have a fix for the problem yet and are expected to have one within the next two weeks.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 AM

Well to all that have read this, my car is still acting up and so i have started the process in filing for a lemon, letters went out the the dealership where i bought it, where it has been serviced and the corporate office for the dealership. Also letters went to the better business bureau and Chevrolet corporate. I have been told that the process for filing a lemon takes about 4 weeks. Cross your fingers for me cuz i like my car when it runs right.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck. I don't get it though. There are moded Cobalts running rich so it must be a CPU thing.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:59 AM

good luck buddy...it seems as if you have taken a patient and respectful approach to this so i hoe all turns out well
Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by triggs21
Well to all that have read this, my car is still acting up and so i have started the process in filing for a lemon, letters went out the the dealership where i bought it, where it has been serviced and the corporate office for the dealership. Also letters went to the better business bureau and Chevrolet corporate. I have been told that the process for filing a lemon takes about 4 weeks. Cross your fingers for me cuz i like my car when it runs right.
I hope they take it back and you get a new one. Get an 07.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by splink
good luck buddy...it seems as if you have taken a patient and respectful approach to this so i hoe all turns out well
No doubt.

I too hope you have a good final outcome.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:02 PM

Keep us up to date! I too am running lean, and the dealership is trying to screw me and have me pay to "fix" the problem("fix" meaning take off stage 2 and test it, then make me pay to have it put back on).

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:05 PM

Is this a problem with the fuel trim system running out of range or the car actually running lean on a wideband monitor?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:09 AM

all they are telling me is that the computer is saying that the motor is running lean on back 4 which is Greek to me. I have had numerous phone call this week and they are investigating the issue as to the best course of action. I have changed case workers three times just this week because of the letter, seems i struck a cord somewhere. I will keep you up to day, but here in idaho the whole process could take a month before i get a new car.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Well a little update for all of you, GM had a mechanical engineer come out and look at my car, and she came to the conclusion that the problem has been solved and that it was the intake gasket the entire time, she said that she was deeply sorry that the dealership did not contact GM sooner to avoid all of the paperwork that we are all having to sort through now. She did however come also to offer me a plea deal, and I think that I will take it if I get it in writing. What it all boils down to is that the longest i have driven my car without a problem is 3,500 miles.... that is the longest duration without a problem so she apologized up and down saying that they want to make it right and they are buying back my warranty and giving me a GM PPPlan so i am pretty stoked about that, also they are giving me other incentive to not move forward with the lemon law. the other incentives have not been disclosed to me as of yet but i will keep everyone informed of the situation as it unfolds.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hm, a mechanically engineered woman.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Well a little update for all of you, GM had a mechanical engineer come out and look at my car, and she came to the conclusion that the problem has been solved and that it was the intake gasket the entire time, she said that she was deeply sorry that the dealership did not contact GM sooner to avoid all of the paperwork that we are all having to sort through now. She did however come also to offer me a plea deal, and I think that I will take it if I get it in writing. What it all boils down to is that the longest i have driven my car without a problem is 3,500 miles.... that is the longest duration without a problem so she apologized up and down saying that they want to make it right and they are buying back my warranty and giving me a GM PPPlan so i am pretty stoked about that, also they are giving me other incentive to not move forward with the lemon law. the other incentives have not been disclosed to me as of yet but i will keep everyone informed of the situation as it unfolds.
you would be dumb to accept that offer. the reason they offer that stuff is because they know they are wrong and you will most likely win. if you've already signed the papers aleviating any responsibility of gm for it, have fun in your old car. if not, don't do it and you'll be driving a new one before long
Old 02-21-2007, 02:17 PM

all they are telling me is that the computer is saying that the motor is running lean on back 4 which is Greek to me. I have had numerous phone call this week and they are investigating the issue as to the best course of action. I have changed case workers three times just this week because of the letter, seems i struck a cord somewhere. I will keep you up to day, but here in idaho the whole process could take a month before i get a new car.
referring to #4 cylinder

this.. coupled with what you stated earlier about #4 cylinder being the problem and running lean...... i am kinda like with this whole intake gasket as your answer? that sounds like a complete crock of **** and truthfully it makes no sense..

so in this Engineers eyes your running lean because of a gasket? uh.. what.. is fuel escaping from the gasket but not Compression?!?!?! dont listen to this dumb bitch..

first thing i would of checked was the injector itself to make sure it was Attached correctly and is actually spraying as it should.... dont let them make you believe your **** is fixed... this sounds like something small but you get what you deserve.. your car.. your money

Last edited by Acidangel_5.0; 02-21-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Acidangel_5.0
referring to #4 cylinder

this.. coupled with what you stated earlier about #4 cylinder being the problem and running lean...... i am kinda like with this whole intake gasket as your answer? that sounds like a complete crock of **** and truthfully it makes no sense..

so in this Engineers eyes your running lean because of a gasket? uh.. what.. is fuel escaping from the gasket but not Compression?!?!?! dont listen to this dumb bitch..

first thing i would of checked was the injector itself to make sure it was Attached correctly and is actually spraying as it should.... dont let them make you believe your **** is fixed... this sounds like something small but you get what you deserve.. your car.. your money
You might want to read the TSB on the intake manifold gasket fix. It will cause a P0171 DTC to set.

Also, there is no way for the dealer to tell anything about what each individual cylinder is doing A/F wise unless they drilled and tapped an oxygen sensor for each exhaust port and monitored them individually. There are only 2 oxygen sensors, one to monitor A/F and one to determine catalytic efficiency.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Witt
You might want to read the TSB on the intake manifold gasket fix. It will cause a P0171 DTC to set.

Also, there is no way for the dealer to tell anything about what each individual cylinder is doing A/F wise unless they drilled and tapped an oxygen sensor for each exhaust port and monitored them individually. There are only 2 oxygen sensors, one to monitor A/F and one to determine catalytic efficiency.
havent read it.. dont really mod much on this car so im just trying to give experience from the past... but just reading what he was told it is not what you are stating either.... she stated cylinder 4.. not sure how much more blunt it has to be.. and a gasket causing lean? thats just hard for me to contemplate.. unless im over thinking.. link to where i can read this.. this has sparked my interest
Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM

update

Well all the headaches aside i finally have a running cobalt. It came down from GM that the dealer screwed everything up and that they wanted to make it better, so they bought back my extended warranty $1,200 cash for me wohoo, and issued me a GM personal protection plan good until 105,000 miles, no questions asked, includes rental car and no deductible... so it ended up working out. Thanks for all the feedback and support. see you guys tearing up the street.