2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Is an ss/sc a good car to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an ss/sc a good car to buy??

what it do i was just thinking bout if the ss/sc was worth or should i try for something else?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 AM

well on this site of course the majority will say to get it because... that was most of our decisions to buy cobalts over other cars. I love my ss/sc, but you may want to test drive one a few times first to get the real feel for it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, you're obviously going to get a biased opinion here... what other cars would you be considering? what are you looking for in a car? what is your price range? how much power do you want? mod, or stay stock? daily driver, or weekend track car?

these are all questions you have to ask yourself to find out exactly what it is you're looking for... instead of just looking at cars and saying "Yea, this one's nice" make yourself a list of exactly what you want, and then find a car that meets that... not the other way around.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:57 AM

for the money, yes.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM

Cool Ss/sc

you can not beat the COBALT SS/SC for the money You get performance, plenty of room, a nice ride and alot of options. the coupe has the room of a mid sized car !! Plus it is FAST as hell. I would not have bought anything else.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM

I'd say go for the Saturn Ion redline. Same car, little more rare.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:14 AM

You are the only person that can answer this question. Just go drive it and see if you like it.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All other cars are crap J/K

One thing you must do first is decide on your price range and then go out and test drive several cars in that price range. If you have trouble deciding then come on here and tell every one what the cars are and what you thought and see if we can help you make the final decision. If you ask me what I think you get guess what I would say, the others said it correct, GET A COBALT!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 PM

I will help you a little,hehe. I am open minded, in my opinion a GTI is better...sorry guys. Both cars look great on the outside, SS is more of a racer, GTI is a smooth operator, inside, the GTI kicks the SS ass. The recaros in the SS are great, but so are the Seats in the GTI. The 6speed in the GTI is an absolute joy to play with, as are the pedals(if you test drive you will know), But then again 5spd means less shifting...but 6spd usually better gas, GTI does get better gas. GTI gains are cheaper...Chip costs 650, get a turboback exhaust...700 bucks...1400 later, you can get a good 230whp 275+wtq. Steering wheel in the GTI is FABULOUS...the chevy...every car basicly has the same steering wheel. GTI turbo, SS Supercharged...hard decision, both are great! Both engins are fantastic. Supercharger you get good power low down, but with the GTI turbo you get boost at 2k(or close to) rpm also!

The only cool thing I see is the Cobalt has stage performance that has GMC warranty still under the car...which is great. VW you can fool them pretty easy with the chip, exhaust most people dont care about...intake is just 10 minute job.

Plus there is the WRX>...but thats more $$ and more insurance...but way better power delivery

Chevy still hasn't done a wing delete...still a spoiler, bah.

But thats my opinion...sorry but Jap and Euro cars are better than America

Oh yes...and handling...I have no idea...I would think the SS would handle better...but they do say the GTI is a little beefy but handles well and fun to drive.

I know I saw Stage 2 GTI vs Stage 2 SS, and the GTI won by...1 car lengths or two, I cant remember...:P

Oh yea what I learned...try and search every car that gets yoru attention, research, everything...pros and cons, if a car misleads you for a bit, or more than others don't worry about it as much...look at price, how much you can bring them down, how well customer service is, INSURANCE(WRX vs SS, WRX will kill ya), daily drive, sound of the car, style, gas mileage, everything!!! I am still reading forums, watching videos, and posting, still looking for MY car...I got a top few...WRX, GTI, SS, MS6, MS3, Si....a good # but a bitch for me

Last edited by jflexe99; 03-19-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-19-2007, 02:39 PM

jflexe99: have your driven all the cars you mentioned? If so I find your conclusions to be a little odd. If not and your magazine and website comparing I can see how you have the opinion you have. It also sounds like to me all your negitives of the SS are just personal preferences. You shouldn't pass those off as facts, they aren't.

have fun in your GTi because it sounds like that's what you are getting.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Nah screw the s/c...get a Ford Fusion lol
Old 03-19-2007, 03:19 PM

I am one of those people who ALWAYS regrets buying something after I have it for a little. I guess I just don't like to see money get spent when it doesnt have to be. I'm not cheap lol

Anyway, I have no regret in buying this car, i absolutely love it. I ignore the little stuff (crappy interior, chipping paint, crappy first gear) and think this car is awesome. Not bad for something at only costed me 15.5k
Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by hillbilly8
you can not beat the COBALT SS/SC for the money You get performance, plenty of room, a nice ride and alot of options. the coupe has the room of a mid sized car !! Plus it is FAST as hell. I would not have bought anything else.
yeah, you can beat it for the money.... SRT-4.. used of course. cheaper, faster.. but it's got a garbage interior.
you do get alot for your money. leather, recaro's, pioneer 7 spkr sound system (including 10" sub, and 2 tweeters)
and onstar, if you want it
Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM

i've test driven a few of the cars mentioned, and my personal preference is still the ss/sc. it seems to be the car with the biggest bang for the buck, and i've got a soft spot for GM cars
Old 03-19-2007, 05:03 PM

After test driving all the cars (GTI, WRX, MS3, MS6, RSX-S, SI, SRT-4, SS-SC) here is my conclusion. If you want fast and dont care for anytihng else, SRT4, SS/SC, MS3, GTI, RSX-S. If you want quality interior, RSX-S, GTI, MS-6, MS-3, SS, SI, WRX, srt-4. Fun to drive, SS/SC, RSXS, SI, WRX, SRT-4, WRX, MS3, MS6. So at the end of the day, I went with the SS/SC cuz it was the the fastest new car I could buy. With the stage 2, absolute fun to drive~!.. Interior might be a little "cheap", but the looks, interst rate make more than up for it. SRT-4, MS3, MS6 (especially last two, wasnt fun driving.) Thats the whole point of getting a car like this, FUN. MS3 and MS6 just didnt have it. WRX ugly. GTI terrible rep lately for breaking down and service (worst in the industry right now beleive it or not, VW is) RSX/SI very fun to drive, not very fast. We are left with one! Just my 0.02cents
Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 PM

I love my little cobalt. I got it cause I wanted out of the fast RWD cars. That's not to say it isn't quick. It's just not fast compared to most of my previous cars (and I had a LOT). I will warn you about VW's. I absolutely HATE ALL german cars. This is coming from a person who has had 4 or 5 VW's in his family and pretty many friends with them also. German cars tend to "overengineer" everything! Little gadgets and gizmos and lines everywhere. I also work in a garage and 1 or 2 out of 10 VW's don't have the check engine light on! It's rediculous. The BMW's are also a PITA to work on. Not to mention that it can be a PITA to put the back wheels on them because they use studs and it keeps turning while you're trying to line it up. My brother used to be big into them and hooked up a couple turbo ones and to be honest that darn check engine light was gleaming brightly! If you don't believe it check out some of the vw boards. They make a shirt with the check engine light on it and it says "a way of life" BTW, where I'm from a CEL on an obd2 car doesn't pass emissions. And no emissions means no inspection. Take it for what it is as it's just my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:26 PM

cobalt SS is a good bang for the buck. performance capability wise, itll get you where you wana be at but itll cost you alot time and effort. srt4's are sick and great performance capability but interior looks like a 1990's living room.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 PM

I madly enough , I will admit, I just haven't driven the SS S/C, I did the regular 2.4L but thats totally different. Anywhoooooooo

Just trying to widen his views,haha.

Agree Martinsmu, I havent driven the Mazdas yet...they always been, ok with me...never GOOD....just something weird about them. anywho....

WRX is probably the most fun you can have in any car in the price range...0-60 in a nice 5.5...easy power gains, decent interior...You can bring a dealer with a WRX TR down to 21k...so good price then, but insurance again...Blah gas mileage, SS is better mileage. If your looking for a daily driver all year around, dont go RWD...AWD or FWD obviously are good, AWD is the best I think...but thats my opinion, just super fun to get the back end out on Subies. WRX and SS probably top picks...just look into the cars, specially the top cars on your list. Only things I hold against the WRX is some stupid things...just one, no burnouts,haha, gas mileage bad, and insurance, other than that I love it...the BEST engine sound for the price range, the SS sounds awesome, but this...is just so bassy and monsterous. The SS like most ppl will tell you doesn't have a great interior, but that is because they don't have a big price tag...Power gains are good, and under warranty, sound good, and a KICK ASS SUPERCHARGER

The whole srt-4 deal...yea...most people see srt4 drivers as dicks, most...not all, I havent met ...really any cool srt4 owners...for a daily driver, it DRONES, drills into your brain, the exhaust note...sounds great while racing, but for early morning commute....too loud. Cheap interior...great seats, that cut off your circulation...haha. Everyone will want to race you, just like WRX,haha.

All up to you, your tastes and preferences
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
jflexe99 they do offer to get the SS/SC with out the big wing. Not sure if you can get it totally wingless if that is what you are referring to. As far as people saying the SS/SC interior being crap, I just don't see it. I like the inside of the car and think it is topnotch for the money. The recaro's at first were uncomfortable but they seem to be worn in and comfy.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 PM

So ya, I bought my SS/SC. I did the test driving and even waited for Honda's new SI to come out (what a true disapointment that was, and that car will still sell.). The only other car I would have bought if I could afford it, would have been an STI, nothing else though. I went the SS more for it performance and handling characteristics. I did some autocross this summer and beat 2 stock SRT-4, straight yes yes they are faster but they suck in cornering and breaking huge loss for those cars they alwasy caught me back end of a straight, but in tight. Let me say the LSD really really made this car a winner. The RSX-S isn't horrible I really liked its seats and interior but V-Tec lag just is not worth that kinda money. Maybe turbo it but damn the car stock was about 40k Canadian, new. The SS costed me 25K new out the door. Heck even a used STI would been cheaper then the RSX-S. So ya basicly test drive and find what suits your driving style and taste best. I have not for one second regretted buying this car, and for some reason nor will you I believe if your looking for something with really good performance. Interior I say is meh, I drove a Beemer before so I am kinda babied in that regard. Well you have my opinion, hopefully it somewhat helped. Cheers and good luck car buying.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 AM

the ss/sc is the best bang for your buck just think about it is a supercharged American car, not another ricey import with way more horsepower than torque, i really love the ss/sc i bought it for my wife, but the little car just got me, it handles and runs like a champ and the eaton m62 whine... priceless. this car has the ***** to hang with any car if you do the right mods, but please if you buy one get the one with the g85 package thats the real deal, theres nothing worst than buying a fwd car with one tire spinning (hate that ****) otherwise if you wanna stay 4 banger look into the srt4. the srt or ss/sc are the way to go, from stock to 9 sec car is up 2 u. this cars will do it.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM

I just trade up from an LS to and SS / SC! I absolutely love it, and wouldn't have it any other way! I say you go for it!