2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Stage II questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage II questions

ok i am planning on going stage 2 within a couple months. but i have some questions, first is GMPP make the only stage 2 package. after installing do i have to get dyno tuned? how much will it all cost me? and where the **** in central AR can i get it done?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GMPP is not the only one that makes stage 2, however if you want to keep the warrenty to your car it is the only way to do it, have GM Stage 2 and GM Mechanics install it, i got priced $1270 for parts/labour. Comes with 2.9 pulley and 42lb injectors and canned tune...So i went on Cobalt Addiction and bought the 2.8 and 60lb injectors...currently installing now, Its cheaper, cost me $450 shipped for the parts, $300 for a custom tune and $100 for the install of a A/F Gauge (which you need to tune if u make your own kit without dyno tuning) You dont NEED to dyno tune, thats just one way to do it. If you can get your hands on HP Tuners or someone that knows how to do it, it can be done that way.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Can you install this yourself? If you can turn a wrench, youll be fine... really....

There is a tool you can rent to help get the pulley off of the supercharger...

If you ant to keep warrenty, go to a GM dealership, but seriously they are screwing you... I did my entire kit for like 450... But fortunatly i knew someone who can tune me..

If you order from OTT Performance, they have the BEST deal on a stage kit... ever! It even comes with a tune (you dont NEED a dyno tune, and really, the stage 2 comes with one, and unless you wanna spend the extra 300 on a dyno that you dont really need, just stick with what comes with it)

http://ottperformance.com/product_in...roducts_id=111

^^ Best deal ever. Install yourself, its easy.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Banned

it is actualy easy...i have no mechanical skills and i did mine...took a few hours. Although i over torqued the banjo bolt for the coolant line and it snapped...spraying coolant all over the place, problem was solved tho.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 AM

talk to rob at gwatney chevrolet in the service department and tell him stuart with the black cobalt sent you.

and no its not a 2.9 that comes with it, its nearly a 3.1. comes with that, stage 2 belt (shorter), 42.5# injectors, and a tune they flash there. its the only kit that will allow you keep your warranty no questions asked, and it does provide a nice pickup from stock.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Banned

sorry my mistake about the pulley size.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM

snakes... are u talking about the bolt with the holes in it that screws on top the big radiator hose?

where did you get another one? Or did u just put a bolt in there like i did ?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 AM

I don't know how easy it will be to install it yourself. I mean, the injectors are a sinch, but when it comes to getting that damn stock pulley off, it's a royal pain in the butt. I took mine to a shop and they had to use an industrial strength press to rip that SOB off.

I have the GMPP stage II kit on my car, got it from crate engine depot, and got it installed all for less than $700. They key is not just how much the dealer is going to charge you, but it's also about being able to talk to the specific person working on your car and gauging their level of experience. You can get a cheap price, but you might sacrifice the quality of work as a result.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM

But ive noticed the people who dont know what it is charge more...

I feel the less the $$. they more they know about the install and how easy it is..

It is possible to use the pulley puller thingies.. but it is hard... but its not like its intuitiveness you need, its really just paitence and a little strength..

I had to get my pulley pressed off as well (cost me 25 bucks, took him 20 min)... but if you have the right tool, you can do it yourself with some elbow grease.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShortStack
But ive noticed the people who dont know what it is charge more...

I feel the less the $$. they more they know about the install and how easy it is..

It is possible to use the pulley puller thingies.. but it is hard... but its not like its intuitiveness you need, its really just paitence and a little strength..

I had to get my pulley pressed off as well (cost me 25 bucks, took him 20 min)... but if you have the right tool, you can do it yourself with some elbow grease.
It's not a safe assumption to say that the cheaper the price, the better the service. Sometimes, it depends on who gives you the quote. Like the first time I got a price quoted for installation, it came from a dealer rep, and this was without speaking to the tech. The second time I got to speak to a tech, and they quoted me a price based on how much time the S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedures) said it would take.

The second price ended being cheaper, but it wasn't because of the tech-involvement. It was because of dealer-markup (or a lack thereof). I actually ended up letting a friend of a friend (who happens to be a GM tech) install mine because he quoted me on the ACTUAL time it took (which was no more than about an hour for the injectors and tune together, plus a test drive that blew my mind away ).
Old 10-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Very true..

I didnt mean for it to seem like ALL places are that way.. thats jut the experience i had with it...

I was quoted 125$ install from the guy who knew what it was..
Old 10-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShortStack
snakes... are u talking about the bolt with the holes in it that screws on top the big radiator hose?

where did you get another one? Or did u just put a bolt in there like i did ?

Yea its a banjo bolt with a drilling in it so the coolant goes through it, i snapped it in half. Noticed it when i was at my apartment...drove about 7km to the shop and didnt have 1 drop of coolant left in the tank. But we couldnt find a bolt anywheres...mechanic called dealerships and said Canada or the US dont have them, u have to get it from like japan or something, i think it was bs cuz the factor that makes the cars should have one...but anyways I needed my car asap cuz i work in the army and i was already AWOL cuz i couldnt get back to base. So the guy just took a normal bolt and drilled a hole in it and made one...works perfect.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM

alright thanks for all the replies all my questions were answered. now all i got to do is convince the wife that its a necesity and not just something i want(i'm going with the increased gas mileage argument.) and the only thing i worry about is i drive a lot i work from my car practically and i am just worried that it might take away from the reliability of the car. should i not worry?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

dont worry about it. Good luck with the gas mileage on the wife. If i tired that one on my gf she would slap me on my head, lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 AM

No need to worry...

Unless you floor it all the time, the supercharger wont be working that much

And unless you start doing alot to it, its not going to act any different (unless you, well.. floor it.. haha)

Gas milage is a good way to start..
Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Feardavid0586
alright thanks for all the replies all my questions were answered. now all i got to do is convince the wife that its a necesity and not just something i want(i'm going with the increased gas mileage argument.) and the only thing i worry about is i drive a lot i work from my car practically and i am just worried that it might take away from the reliability of the car. should i not worry?
I don't think it's a confirmed truth that you will actually increase your gas mileage with the upgrade. If anything, I went down about 2 or 3 mpg's after the install. But then again, it's very true that it all depends on the way you drive.

It's not even true that it will fix the idle problem in some cases. Bottom line, honesty is always the best policy. Ain't nothing wrong with a little extra juice, lol!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Do you know how hard it is to justify to your gf / wife that you can spend hundreds just because you wanna go faster?

You MPG goes up.. way up! ... If you reset your mpg display while on a highway cruising not touching the gas, it goes up to like 50 something ... you can just show her then!!.. haha..

I actually gained 5mpg on highway... different cars, different climates, different outcomes..
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the pully is 3.06"
if you are buying GMS2 because you like keeping warranty, DONT install it yourself,

the warranty on S2 is covered by your remaining powertrain warranty IF INSTALLED BY GM
if you install if yourself, you only get 12 months on the s2 parts themselves.

myself, and many people, noticed a gain in MPG after S2 install.
some see a loss, but i often think that has more to do with people enjoying the newfound power with a heavier right foot
Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM

also i have another question for future referrance, i seen on youtube(i know not a reliable source) people claiming up to stage like 5 or 6 i thought it only went up to stage 3 but i am new to the ecotec motor so somebody school me.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those are stage kits made by aftermarket companies. (avoid them)

the official GM kits only go to S3 (also avoid it)
Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 PM

I agree about avoiding the s3. It's the most expensive package, it doesn't have any more significant gain from the s2, and I believe it the only one not covered by factory warranty (can someone confirm this?).
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
I agree about avoiding the s3. It's the most expensive package, it doesn't have any more significant gain from the s2, and I believe it the only one not covered by factory warranty (can someone confirm this?).
Not to mention you lose your AC with the Stage 3 from GM....

I think it is best to probably go out and buy the 60 lb injectors, 2.8 or 2.9pulley, get that installed then a tune. Would be a lot cheaper than anything from GM plus it would be a faster car.

Looks like you might have a calling buddy...

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/fs-stage-2-brand-new-still-gm-box-138515/
Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 PM

the problem with though with buying it off of someone is that you wouldn't be able to make use of the factory reflash. You would have to tune it with HPT instead for any kind of reflash.