2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

For those with GM Stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rockkrawler628
UPDATED!!
I'm new to the whole nitrous thing but since I've got my 2.99 pulley, my 42.5 injectors, and my stage 2 belt all i need is the stage 3 ecu and im ready for the install. However, I guess i should wait until i get a full exhaust to install it but o well... My question is since im new to nitrous [B]Well basically how does the stage 3 work the nitrous. Is it basically a one switch deal where it'll spray it as long as its"
rpms>3500
rpms<500 from rev limit
No engine codes
Throttle pos.>90%
So does this means when the switch is own it'll spray it when ever all those parimeters are met or does it use a button for the injection??
Thanks for any input.

bump

I'm not giving up... someone please help
I'm new to the whole nitrous thing but since I've got my 2.99 pulley, my 42.5 injectors, and my stage 2 belt all i need is the stage 3 ecu and im ready for the install. However, I guess i should wait until i get a full exhaust to install it but o well... My question is since im new to nitrous [b]Well basically how does the stage 3 work the nitrous. Is it basically a one switch deal where it'll spray it as long as its"
rpms>3500
rpms<500 from rev limit
No engine codes
Throttle pos.>90%
So does this means when the switch is own it'll spray it when ever all those parimeters are met or does it use a button for the injection??
Thanks for any input.
The stage 3 PCM comes with 2 new leads. You crimp on the wires. One lead is for 12vdc+ in (via a switch and momentary switch) and the 2nd lead is a 12vdc- out. The 12vdc- out goes to the nitrous solenoid relay's coil (-).
Old 03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RoelSS
He is right. I'm running stock plugs with no problems. Don't change pulleys or injectors, just stick with GM. After all, if they built it, they must know it best.
i roffled
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That stage 3 kit runs AWFULLLLY lean with the spray on! So a wideband is a very good idea!
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM

The stage 3 PCM comes with 2 new leads. You crimp on the wires. One lead is for 12vdc+ in (via a switch and momentary switch) and the 2nd lead is a 12vdc- out. The 12vdc- out goes to the nitrous solenoid relay's coil (-).
Yes, one of leads is for a 12V DC input to the stage 3 PCM that "tells" the PCM that you are requesting N20 (this would for example be from your arming switch through your WOT switch to the PCM). The other lead is a PCM internal ground source that will ground the N20 solenoid when all of the stage 3 PCM N20 requirements are met resulting in N20 activation.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by mcwarren
Yes, one of leads is for a 12V DC input to the stage 3 PCM that "tells" the PCM that you are requesting N20 (this would for example be from your arming switch through your WOT switch to the PCM). The other lead is a PCM internal ground source that will ground the N20 solenoid when all of the stage 3 PCM N20 requirements are met resulting in N20 activation.
I got a nice diagram on Auto CAD. A picture is worth a thousand words. BTW, I saw your how to thread, very Nice
Old 03-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mcwarren
Alright thanks alot man.. appreciate the info

That stage 3 kit runs AWFULLLLY lean with the spray on! So a wideband is a very good idea!

Yeah much better then stage 2 though lol i'm waiting for the ecu and exhaust first.. i wont spray withouth the wideband tho

i've got another question... (what else is new) how much heat is actually made with the stage 3... i don't got the money for a heat exhanger yet and i don't really wanna wait... What do you guys think? You think i'll be safe for a little as long as i watch my coolant and IAT's?

man this thread has some real good information about the stage 3

Last edited by rockkrawler628; 03-06-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM

I got a nice diagram on Auto CAD. A picture is worth a thousand words. BTW, I saw your how to thread, very Nice
Thanks for the "attaboy"! GMPP Stage 3 Rocks!!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:40 PM

Has anyone had the Stage 3 go "Oh **** WTFBBQ" yet and shut down while spraying?

Also, if I plan on just grabbing a PCM and spray, not lowering the pulley do I need the H/E?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by thefictionwelive
Has anyone had the Stage 3 go "Oh **** WTFBBQ" yet and shut down while spraying?

Also, if I plan on just grabbing a PCM and spray, not lowering the pulley do I need the H/E?
bump for an answer
Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 AM

well seeing as how the Stage 3 Kit comes with the dual pass endplate, it would be highly recommended to do some sort of cooling mods (either H/E, Dual Pass, both; or a full exhaust)...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 AM

we'll actually i plan on running a ca header/xtc downpipe w/o cat and an electric cut-out untill i get my gmpp exhaust.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by thefictionwelive

I've had the engine shutdown once while spraying. It was during a hot summer day, bottle pressure was up in the 1,000 psi. Normally it's around 900~950. This was the 1st time it did it and the only thing I can think of the cause was the bottle pressure.
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
keep the bottle pressure 950 or below.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM

how much will the stage 3 increase in engine temps and IAT2 temps? I wanna run the stage 3 soon but was wondering if i should hold off because of having no cooling mods. Idk but how much would straight exhaust help?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM

Still didn't get an answer... I wanna know if i'll be alright with the gm stage 3 ecu running the 2.99 pulley without any cooling mods except realllllly free flowing exhaust. I don't plan on spraying.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still didn't get an answer... I wanna know if i'll be alright with the gm stage 3 ecu running the 2.99 pulley without any cooling mods except realllllly free flowing exhaust. I don't plan on spraying.
Did you read this post?

Originally Posted by ecotecon18s
well seeing as how the Stage 3 Kit comes with the dual pass endplate, it would be highly recommended to do some sort of cooling mods (either H/E, Dual Pass, both; or a full exhaust)...
And I would not consider a "full exhaust" a cooling mod. Its not going to hurt but....
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
Did you read this post?

And I would not consider a "full exhaust" a cooling mod. Its not going to hurt but....
Yes i did read that thread, im getting the stage 3 ecu NOT the stage 3 KIT. if he don't consider a full exhaust a cooling mod then okay my question hasn't been answered.... Basically idk what cooling mods are needed for a 2.99. Im worried not only about heat but about airflow... **** with the stock cat back will there even bee any airflow with a 2.99 lol idk. I guess people run stage 2 with entire stock exhaust so i guess i shouldn't really be worried about air flow and the fact that im not spraying i think i should be fine (i guess and hope) I guess i'll just put on the header/downpipe and do the stage 3 and call it a day. I don't have the money for a heat exchanger
Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 PM

why buy the ECU if you don't plan on spraying then? The point of buying it was so that the fuel maps and everything can be calibrated for spray. If you were running the whole kit, than with the cooling effect of the nitrous and the endplate then you wouldn't have to worry about needing to cool the IATs.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 PM

geez i shoulda been a little clearer.....
How am i gonna spray if i don't have nitrous yet...
lol if i don't have enough to get a heat exchanger i def don't have enough to get spray yet..
my sign. has the mods that i want and that i have... i don't have any cooling mods at all and i don't have the money for a catback yet... however i still want to put on the stage 3 ecu to get the power and everythign untill i save up for spray and exhaust and h/e
note... im not getting the stage 3 KIT just the ECU it saves money in the long run.. dual pass is pointless
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 PM

geez i shoulda been a little clearer.....
How am i gonna spray if i don't have nitrous yet...
lol if i don't have enough to get a heat exchanger i def don't have enough to get spray yet..
my sign. has the mods that i want and that i have... i don't have any cooling mods at all and i don't have the money for a catback yet... however i still want to put on the stage 3 ecu to get the power and everythign untill i save up for spray and exhaust and h/e
note... im not getting the stage 3 KIT just the ECU it saves money in the long run.. dual pass is pointless
You'll be better off getting the stage 3 kit. But if you do order the PCM only, make sure you get the 2 wire leads. Without them, you can't use the Nitrous feature.

I wouldn't worry too much about a header/downpipe combo. Im running a honed manifold with the factory stock downpipe and I was able to put down the number you see in my signature.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM

hmm what about me not having any cooling mods at all and running the 2.99
Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 PM

hmm what about me not having any cooling mods at all and running the 2.99
To just run the GMS3 ECU you still will need GMS2 for the injectors and pulley hub. (You can peice together the kit if you want but you forsure need injectors) If you put the GMS3 ECU on your stock injectors and a 2.99" pulley you will run into problems.

If you get 42.5# injectors, a modular pulley system w/ a 2.99" pulley and a GMS3 ECU you should be fine with no cooling mods. However, if you plan on spraying down the road you should definalty look into cooling mods.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ebristol
To just run the GMS3 ECU you still will need GMS2 for the injectors and pulley hub. (You can peice together the kit if you want but you forsure need injectors) If you put the GMS3 ECU on your stock injectors and a 2.99" pulley you will run into problems.

If you get 42.5# injectors, a modular pulley system w/ a 2.99" pulley and a GMS3 ECU you should be fine with no cooling mods. However, if you plan on spraying down the road you should definalty look into cooling mods.
man im a noob but not that much of a noob...
42.5lb injectors have already been ordered from a member here.
stage 2 belthas also been ordered from a member on here
2.99 modular system sitting here from nates

As for the ECU.. waiting on cash flow... After i get the ecu i wanted to install it right away. but am worried about cooling. I wont be spraying untill i have a heat exchanger and full exhaust however all i have as for exhaust is the upper end (CA header/ XTC downpip) just a stock catback... and however i know of tonz of stage 2 cobalts running full boost and no problems with heat. how much of a difference in heat is there between a 2.99 and a 3.00... also for the fact stage 3 runs alot leaner then stage 2 so idk what that has to do with heat but it may generate more
Thanks for looking out man... its appreciated

Last edited by rockkrawler628; 03-12-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 AM

I have the GM stage 2, how much would it cost to upgrade to stage 3, just the price for parts, i have a mechanic who is a friend
Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 AM

man im a noob but not that much of a noob...
42.5lb injectors have already been ordered from a member here.
stage 2 pulley has also been ordered from a member on here
2.99 modular system sitting here from nates
lol You said check your sig. There was nothing in there about injectors and you never mentioned it in any of your posts. so idk

As for the ECU.. waiting on cash flow... After i get the ecu i wanted to install it right away. but am worried about cooling. I wont be spraying untill i have a heat exchanger and full exhaust however all i have as for exhaust is the upper end (CA header/ XTC downpip) just a stock catback... and however i know of tonz of stage 2 cobalts running full boost and no problems with heat. how much of a difference in heat is there between a 2.99 and a 3.00... also for the fact stage 3 runs alot leaner then stage 2 so idk what that has to do with heat but it may generate more
Thanks for looking out man... its appreciated
There is .01" difference between 2.99 and 3.00. So little that your car will not know the difference. The Stage 3 pulley is 2.992125". Some people say 2.99" and others say 3". They are the same.

Quick Reply: For those with GM Stage 3