2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

time attck cobaltss????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time attck cobaltss????

so ive read about this many times but im very confused on how they got these numbers
Engine: ECOTEC LSJ Supercharged

Horsepower maximum (hp / kw): 265 hp (SAE)
Torque maximum (lbs-ft / Nm) 270 lb-ft

all they had was stage 2 and these are the numbers without nos... how are they getting so much tq and how come i never see anyone with a stage 2 and good tune put out that \much powa????
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 AM

There's more to it than stage 2 from what I remember
Old 01-19-2009, 01:47 AM

Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
the time attack car was stage 3 with a built up motor. had forged pistons, ported head, different cams, header, exhaust, ect. with the nitrous it was over 350hp.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharkey
the time attack car was stage 3 with a built up motor. had forged pistons, ported head, different cams, header, exhaust, ect. with the nitrous it was over 350hp.
Um stock motors have forged pistons i think. and it says stage 2 on the stuff i have read...i dont think they would lie about it...?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you have some more reading to do if you think the stock pistons are forged and the ta cobalt was just stage2
Old 01-19-2009, 02:56 AM

i'm reading 264hp and 230 tq... where u getting your info?

also, the TA car weighs 2300 pounds...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't know the horsepower. but i know its not just stage2
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
i don't know the horsepower. but i know its not just stage2
the engine is nitrous assist.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that blower is a custom high helix Gen 5 M62. Not the same blower we have on our cars. Not sure exactly what eaton did to it, but i think it's somewhere between the TVS technology and a twin-screw.

TA Engine Specs:
Powertrain
Engine: ECOTEC LSJ Supercharged
Stage 2 Kit: Larger injectors, 77.9 mm pulley
Engine displacement (cu. in / cc): 2000 cc
Horsepower maximum (hp / kw): 265 hp (SAE)
Torque maximum (lbs-ft / Nm) 270 lb-ft
Transmission: F35 5 spd mt with 4.45 final drive
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
you have some more reading to do if you think the stock pistons are forged and the ta cobalt was just stage2
yea i kno lol i couldnt remember what it was...rings? or somethin...i know something is forged
Old 01-19-2009, 03:41 AM

Time Attack Cobalt is a beast machine, my idol. John and Powell Motorsports build this amazing and surprising machine. The engine has the stage 2 kit installed, 2 pass intercooler, neutral balance shafts, GM Racing head, Bates Engineering high speed spring, shorty header, aftermarket pistons, 100 shot, large 3'' Corsa, GM Racing cams and cam gears, dry sump oil system, trans with 4.45 final drive, Exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, hoosier dot tire, 9.5 x 18 (rear) 9.5 x 17 (front) rims.

Its not utilizing the stage 3 pulley therefore not considered stage 3 because the stage 3 does not pass emission laws and not street legal which was one of the requirements of the race that took place beating a Skyline with 801 AWHP.

With the complete and very large exhaust the Time Attack Cobalt breaths very well and helps the LSJ with its ported head and racing cams and other premium components acheive a 260 horses simply on stage two (basically stage 3 without the pulley) and not require nitro. With burst of nitro, a hundred shot pushes it power to 350 HP. Not to mention its carbon fiber body parts such as doors and trunk weighting in at 2300 lbs.

Last edited by cobalt5SS; 01-19-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt5SS
Time Attack Cobalt is a beast machine, my idle. John and Powell Motorsports build this amazing and surprising machine. The engine has the stage 2 kit installed, 2 pass intercooler, neutral balance shafts, GM Racing head, Bates Engineering high speed spring, shorty header, aftermarket pistons, 100 shot, large 3'' Corsa, GM Racing cams and cam gears, dry slump oil system, trans with 4.45 final drive, Exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, hoosier dot tire, 9.5 x 18 (rear) 9.5 x 17 (front) rims.

Its not utilizing the stage 3 pulley therefore not considered stage 3 because the stage 3 does not pass emission laws and not street legal which was one of the requirements of the race that took place beating a Skyline with 801 AWHP.

With the complete and very large exhaust the Time Attack Cobalt breaths very well and helps the LSJ with its ported head and racing cams and other premium components acheive a 260 horses simply on stage two (basically stage 3 without the pulley) and not require nitro. With burst of nitro, a hundred shot pushes it power to 350 HP. Not to mention its carbon fiber body weighting in at 2300 lbs.
idol. sump.

just thought i'd throw in my .002 lmao
Old 01-19-2009, 03:50 AM

Thanks for the corrections but here is some more knowledge for you. The stock crankshaft is forged. Robust drop forged crankshaft.
Like the upper end of the engine, the lower end of the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is also built to provide lasting performance and durability. The crankshaft is a drop forged steel design that incorporates induction heat-treated fillets for added strength, and cross-drilled, chamfered oil passages for excellent lubrication characteristics.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 AM

Thanks for the corrections but here is some more knowledge for you. The stock crankshaft is forged. Robust drop forged crankshaft.
Like the upper end of the engine, the lower end of the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is also built to provide lasting performance and durability. The crankshaft is a drop forged steel design that incorporates induction heat-treated fillets for added strength, and cross-drilled, chamfered oil passages for excellent lubrication characteristics.
yea i know about the TA, read up on it when i was all squishy for my cobalt, i have since moved on.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 AM

This car is way more then stage 2. There was a show that followed the entire build. They tore the entire car and motor down to its bare bones and re did everything.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 AM

^That's absolutly right^

But does have stage 2 on her too along with everything else

Your visiting this very thread Mnatvyc1223, regarding the Time Attack cobalt. So you apparently have not move on all the way.... Yet. My opinion though.

Let's see some good questions about the TA Cobalt

Your visiting this very thread Mnatvyc1223, regarding the Time Attack cobalt. So you apparently have not move on all the way.... Yet. My opinion though.

Let's see some good questions about the TA Cobalt

Last edited by cobalt5SS; 01-19-2009 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time Attack Cobalt is a beast machine, my idle. John and Powell Motorsports build this amazing and surprising machine. The engine has the stage 2 kit installed, 2 pass intercooler, neutral balance shafts, GM Racing head, Bates Engineering high speed spring, shorty header, aftermarket pistons, 100 shot, large 3'' Corsa, GM Racing cams and cam gears, dry slump oil system, trans with 4.45 final drive, Exedy stage 3 hypersingle clutch, hoosier dot tire, 9.5 x 18 (rear) 9.5 x 17 (front) rims.

With the complete and very large exhaust the Time Attack Cobalt breaths very well and helps the LSJ with its ported head and racing cams and other premium components acheive a 260 horses simply on stage two (basically stage 3 without the pulley) and not require nitro. With burst of nitro, a hundred shot pushes it power to 350 HP. Not to mention its carbon fiber body weighting in at 2300 lbs.
It had stock cams, with adjustable cam gears. Tuned by someone from Lotus. It's misleading to say it had a CF body too, it was just components like the hood, trunk fenders, doors and roof. The body is the factory steel unibody.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 AM

Ls1fbody sorry I didn't put "carbon fiber body parts" instead of "carbon fiber body" I apologize. I guess I gave you the benefit of a doubt that you would have some common sense and know what I was referring to. I learned my lesson with you though. And as far as Lotus being involved with TA Cobalt you couldn't be more wrong. It was surely John and Powell Motorsports. I've done my research. Now you were on the right track about Lotus having some type of affiliation with a Cobalt in general cause that's where our heads are produced in Lotus's plant across the ocean. Also surely not stock cam shafts in the Time Attack Cobalt. ..... Your on the right path to know everything
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Ls1fbody sorry I didn't put "carbon fiber body parts" instead of "carbon fiber body" I apologize. I guess I gave you the benefit of a doubt that you would have some common sense and know what I was referring to. I learned my lesson with you though. And as far as Lotus being involved with TA Cobalt you couldn't be more wrong. It was surely John and Powell Motorsports. I've done my research. Now you were on the right track about Lotus having some type of affiliation with a Cobalt in general cause that's where our heads are produced in Lotus's plant across the ocean. Also surely not stock cam shafts in the Time Attack Cobalt. ..... Your on the right path to know everything
okay let me add .02 c. There were a number of iterations of the time attack car. The first one, in terms of engine build, was for the Speed Street tune challenge TV show, video'd in May/June 2005.

That car was basically a stage 2, as GM were afraid if it showed to much power, the Grand Am folks would watch the show and penalise the race cars - they were all new in 2005, and lots of folks were watching. So for the TV show a bone stock Cobalt as part of the show pulled 211 on the dyno, and when the Time attack car went on the TV show dyno rollers it did produce good stage 2 numbers. At that point all it had was stage 2, as I recall it did not even have diamond pistons at that point,it was a stock internal motor.

At the time of the time attack race in Nov.2005, well the car then had an engine which was seriously built up with hi helix
62 prototype, Griffin aftercooler, dual pass laminova, diamond pistons, neutral balance shafts, stock crank and rods, a great cylinder head, headers, 3 inch Corsa exhaust with a muffler, a whole lot of basically stock stuff; some of the builds were done at Katech, etc etc, but no-one outside GM knew, although the final race engine was fitted with Nitrous done by Harold Martin and his drag race experts, with a bottle and warmer in the trunk installed by the Powell guys who built the car; so they basically just plugged the engine in, they never saw the engine or had anything to do with building the internals.

The tuning of much of the day to day Cobalt stuff was done by a young lotus engineer, but there was more than one GM engineer involved for sure, guys with names like Steve and Frank and Bill and Matt and Eddie and Joe etc etc, and but the day in day out grunt on Cobalt SC tuning stuff was done by this young contracted Lotus kid, he was good, worked hard...we all took credit for his hard work.

The GM race cams went in and out of the time attack motor, but the final iteration that raced that day in November at Button Willow when Heinricy cleaned house and put Tarzan Yamada and his Evo on the trailer, that engine had stock cams with adjustable cam gears.

What is now the Powell RaceShop, headed up by Devon Powell, did all the build work on the Time Attack car; John Powell his dad was just a pretty face for TV. The car was built
fitted with carbon produced by Crawford composites in NC (they do the NASCAR wings) that included front fascia extension , carbon hood, doors , trunk roof , wing but a stock Cobalt unibody gutted shell and full cage. Andy Scriven at Crawford did the design work on the carbon panels. Jeff at Specter werkes in Detroit did the carbon rocker extensions and the additional splitter.

Whatever thoughts you have about GM, the Time Attack cobalt was an example of an outstanding engineering achievement with a lot of input and direction from the GM engineers, working as a team with the Powell guys and others at Lotus, Eaton, Diamond, ARE, Katech Hoosier, Crawford, etc. John Heinricy was the leader and inspiration, Dan from Marketing at Chevrolet lead the project, and I am sure there were other names I have missed as so many folks working together (key word) that no one person should take the credit, it was a General Motors engineering and marketing team achievement.

For example the dry sump system was produced in California by Gary Armstrong from ARE, working with the Powell guys, and a really bright lead engineer from GM, (now lead engineer for all forced induction powertrain at GM) in just 7 days! Thats concept to moulds to casting a new pan and putting it on the car and having it work. 7 days.

LIfe was good for those guys for sure. Yeah I was there, cleaning wheels...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM

How much hp is the stock crank good to?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by scott allen
How much hp is the stock crank good to?
300 for sure
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Correct me if im wrong but i do believe the time attack cobalt was pushing just over 300hp i do believe it was 317WHP without nos and they were spanking everyone in there class. Also they were not meeting emission regulations so they had to tone it down to stage 2. Obviously the motors built and pushes more power than our stage 2 but thats to be expected. I would expect that car to be in the 270hp range with everything done maybe a little more but i could be wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KyFritz06SS
Correct me if im wrong but i do believe the time attack cobalt was pushing just over 300hp i do believe it was 317WHP without nos and they were spanking everyone in there class. Also they were not meeting emission regulations so they had to tone it down to stage 2. Obviously the motors built and pushes more power than our stage 2 but thats to be expected. I would expect that car to be in the 270hp range with everything done maybe a little more but i could be wrong.
stock crank is good to about 750 hp with a little work
stock rods @550hp
stock sleeve 550-600 with a good clean tune
so far stock pistons have taken close to 500hp with no damage.
stock rings 0 @550 hp
stock cams (w/cam gears) @500hp
stock head @500 hp
Stock valve springs (under 7400rpm) - @500hp

350whp or so on spray, listen to th guy who posted above you.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
stock rods @550hp
stock rings 0 @550 hp
stock head @500 hp

06black has done it all so stickify this chart
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
stock rods @550hp
stock rings 0 @550 hp
stock head @500 hp

How do you know this ?Im not being a dick,just want to know cause if this is true,this changes a lot on my build,whats the most boost you can run,all these facts your telling me should be posted some were people can see this.Thanks.

Quick Reply: time attck cobaltss????