2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

time attck cobaltss????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott allen
How do you know this ?Im not being a dick,just want to know cause if this is true,this changes a lot on my build,whats the most boost you can run,all these facts your telling me should be posted some were people can see this.Thanks.
He has done it running 414 whp turbo on an LSJ , well documented on this forum. Many people out there have serious cars, no longer surf this forum and do not feel the need to continually justify themselves to folks who question everything (no offense) . So take it as read. Period.

If you get the Ecotec build book you would do yourself a favor. The information is all there.

FYI stage 2 from GM is validated by GM 100,000 mile test parameters. GM warranty it. GM stage 3 only ran to 50,000 miles, test validation was not continued any further, warranty is not offered, a/c is bypassed and it is sold for off road use only.

The fact is ,that the incredible robustness of the Ecotec can handle an awful lot of power, but in spite of this, a guy with HP tuners and a lap top can tune their motor and detonate it into oblivion in about 5 nanoseconds, coz they are, how can i put this? STUPID.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ha ha^ like your sense of humor
Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by qwikredline
He has done it running 414 whp turbo on an LSJ , well documented on this forum. Many people out there have serious cars, no longer surf this forum and do not feel the need to continually justify themselves to folks who question everything (no offense) . So take it as read. Period.

If you get the Ecotec build book you would do yourself a favor. The information is all there.

FYI stage 2 from GM is validated by GM 100,000 mile test parameters. GM warranty it. GM stage 3 only ran to 50,000 miles, test validation was not continued any further, warranty is not offered, a/c is bypassed and it is sold for off road use only.

The fact is ,that the incredible robustness of the Ecotec can handle an awful lot of power, but in spite of this, a guy with HP tuners and a lap top can tune their motor and detonate it into oblivion in about 5 nanoseconds, coz they are, how can i put this? STUPID.
Thanks for the help,no offense taken.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by scott allen
Thanks for the help,no offense taken.
Scott that's great. Thank you. You might PM 06black etc if he is in the mood Paul can share some hideously exciting stuff. My fave is a video screen readout from his car taken driving on the Long Island expressway at o dark hundred on a sunday.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
my crank has sustained 400hp. turbo guys. two of them are over 500crank hp. depends on how big your ***** are.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
aint that the truth.
But seriously for those questioning, the answers are out there, just do some searching like we did.
I've hit over 30psi on a few occasions, (wastegate line broke lol), had spark blow-out and that was it. Ran it off the tach a couple of times missing shifts (over 8k rpm) and it's held, had a fueling issue on the dyno (17.2:1 afr at 5800 rpm and 22psi) and still made 411 whp and drove home. Car is now sitting at 440whp/400wtq on 22.1psi and 93 octane pump gas. Still same ol 43k mile stock motor.

now I wouldn;t go trying to run 30psi nor 8k rpm on a stock motor on purpose, I'm just saying what it can take. I remember the good ol days when people said the stock motor wouldn't handle over 285whp, well I broke that on the m62 at 296whp, then 300whp, I slapped a cheap ass turbo on to see what it would take and make 365whp, then decided to grow a pair and crank it up and redo the turbo setup to what you see now. Still going strong. I also learned to tune on this car, never had a 4 cylinder, and never built my own turbo setup. So I don't see what a good majaority of people out there can't.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
aint that the truth.
But seriously for those questioning, the answers are out there, just do some searching like we did.
I've hit over 30psi on a few occasions, (wastegate line broke lol), had spark blow-out and that was it. Ran it off the tach a couple of times missing shifts (over 8k rpm) and it's held, had a fueling issue on the dyno (17.2:1 afr at 5800 rpm and 22psi) and still made 411 whp and drove home. Car is now sitting at 440whp/400wtq on 22.1psi and 93 octane pump gas. Still same ol 43k mile stock motor.

now I wouldn;t go trying to run 30psi nor 8k rpm on a stock motor on purpose, I'm just saying what it can take. I remember the good ol days when people said the stock motor wouldn't handle over 285whp, well I broke that on the m62 at 296whp, then 300whp, I slapped a cheap ass turbo on to see what it would take and make 365whp, then decided to grow a pair and crank it up and redo the turbo setup to what you see now. Still going strong. I also learned to tune on this car, never had a 4 cylinder, and never built my own turbo setup. So I don't see what a good majaority of people out there can't.
Well said.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Say what you want about hardware but it helps to have a good dose of driving skills of John Heinricy... he can make a wheelbarrow go fast...

we should all be so fortunate..
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dennisscars
Say what you want about hardware but it helps to have a good dose of driving skills of John Heinricy... he can make a wheelbarrow go fast...

we should all be so fortunate..
x 2..............
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
aint that the truth.

dude your engine was made in gods factory... he slapped that ************ together himself.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
okay let me add .02 c. There were a number of iterations of the time attack car. The first one, in terms of engine build, was for the Speed Street tune challenge TV show, video'd in May/June 2005.

That car was basically a stage 2, as GM were afraid if it showed to much power, the Grand Am folks would watch the show and penalise the race cars - they were all new in 2005, and lots of folks were watching. So for the TV show a bone stock Cobalt as part of the show pulled 211 on the dyno, and when the Time attack car went on the TV show dyno rollers it did produce good stage 2 numbers. At that point all it had was stage 2, as I recall it did not even have diamond pistons at that point,it was a stock internal motor.

At the time of the time attack race in Nov.2005, well the car then had an engine which was seriously built up with hi helix
62 prototype, Griffin aftercooler, dual pass laminova, diamond pistons, neutral balance shafts, stock crank and rods, a great cylinder head, headers, 3 inch Corsa exhaust with a muffler, a whole lot of basically stock stuff; some of the builds were done at Katech, etc etc, but no-one outside GM knew, although the final race engine was fitted with Nitrous done by Harold Martin and his drag race experts, with a bottle and warmer in the trunk installed by the Powell guys who built the car; so they basically just plugged the engine in, they never saw the engine or had anything to do with building the internals.

The tuning of much of the day to day Cobalt stuff was done by a young lotus engineer, but there was more than one GM engineer involved for sure, guys with names like Steve and Frank and Bill and Matt and Eddie and Joe etc etc, and but the day in day out grunt on Cobalt SC tuning stuff was done by this young contracted Lotus kid, he was good, worked hard...we all took credit for his hard work.

The GM race cams went in and out of the time attack motor, but the final iteration that raced that day in November at Button Willow when Heinricy cleaned house and put Tarzan Yamada and his Evo on the trailer, that engine had stock cams with adjustable cam gears.

What is now the Powell RaceShop, headed up by Devon Powell, did all the build work on the Time Attack car; John Powell his dad was just a pretty face for TV. The car was built
fitted with carbon produced by Crawford composites in NC (they do the NASCAR wings) that included front fascia extension , carbon hood, doors , trunk roof , wing but a stock Cobalt unibody gutted shell and full cage. Andy Scriven at Crawford did the design work on the carbon panels. Jeff at Specter werkes in Detroit did the carbon rocker extensions and the additional splitter.

Whatever thoughts you have about GM, the Time Attack cobalt was an example of an outstanding engineering achievement with a lot of input and direction from the GM engineers, working as a team with the Powell guys and others at Lotus, Eaton, Diamond, ARE, Katech Hoosier, Crawford, etc. John Heinricy was the leader and inspiration, Dan from Marketing at Chevrolet lead the project, and I am sure there were other names I have missed as so many folks working together (key word) that no one person should take the credit, it was a General Motors engineering and marketing team achievement.

For example the dry sump system was produced in California by Gary Armstrong from ARE, working with the Powell guys, and a really bright lead engineer from GM, (now lead engineer for all forced induction powertrain at GM) in just 7 days! Thats concept to moulds to casting a new pan and putting it on the car and having it work. 7 days.

LIfe was good for those guys for sure. Yeah I was there, cleaning wheels...
you would know... you Canuk MadScientist, i was just passing on the info you've told me, i guess he took it as something different.

Originally Posted by cobalt5SS
Ls1fbody sorry I didn't put "carbon fiber body parts" instead of "carbon fiber body" I apologize. I guess I gave you the benefit of a doubt that you would have some common sense and know what I was referring to. I learned my lesson with you though. And as far as Lotus being involved with TA Cobalt you couldn't be more wrong. It was surely John and Powell Motorsports. I've done my research. Now you were on the right track about Lotus having some type of affiliation with a Cobalt in general cause that's where our heads are produced in Lotus's plant across the ocean. Also surely not stock cam shafts in the Time Attack Cobalt. ..... Your on the right path to know everything
sorry if i came off as a know it all, just wanted to help you spread information. You know as well as i do that someone would have seen "CF Body" and thought to themselves, wow, the TA car was CF Monocoque? and then we would have problems

I am not discrediting Powell RaceCraft in any way, I geve them all the credit they wholly deserve for that car. But like Qwik said, the day to day tuning credit goes to a young man from Lotus.

Don't be mean

Last edited by ls1fbody; 01-19-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Dude if you have actually seen the show with the time attack cobalt in it, they actually mention the tuner from lotus iirc...

You couldnt be more wrong.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 PM

I recognize that the daily tuner was a Lotus tech
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
you don't know enough about the history of this car to make claims such as that.

im not being a dick.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm backing out of this

too much involved.

that and there are people here that know far more than me and i don't need to be handing out info i know nothing about.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 PM

We live in the USA and your entitled to your opinion. I respect that. Now let's talk about something a lot more productive. And thanks for not being a dick?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 PM

anybody know the part number or numbers on the time attack cams or where can i locate them
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
So anyone ever know what happened to the time attack Cobalt? I've tired to find vids of it in action with no such luck