2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Torque Forward ETD

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Forward ETD

Got mine in the mail today, yay!!! Gonna try to put it on tomorrow.

HOWEVER...the brackets look much different than the one from Ingalls. I see a pic of it installed on their site, however it's small and at a bad angle for me to see which bolts are being used, etc.

Has anyone installed this one, and can maybe take a couple pics of the engine so I can see how the brackets are on? I'm already familiar with adjusting and installing the dampner itself. (adjusting it at my desk, hehe)

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 PM

I almost tired one of these instead of the Ingalls.

Keep us up to date on all the pro's and con's.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 AM

Will do...these guys got great reviews on our sister-car's forums...on second thought, I should just look there for pics!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Got mine in the mail today, yay!!! Gonna try to put it on tomorrow.

HOWEVER...the brackets look much different than the one from Ingalls. I see a pic of it installed on their site, however it's small and at a bad angle for me to see which bolts are being used, etc.

Has anyone installed this one, and can maybe take a couple pics of the engine so I can see how the brackets are on? I'm already familiar with adjusting and installing the dampner itself. (adjusting it at my desk, hehe)

Thanks in advance!
I put mine mine on the other day and not sure it's right or not since there's no instructions. I wrote to Ben and he says he will update his site with pictures of the newer brackets.

Last edited by fljohnboy; 06-18-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

Originally Posted by fljohnboy
I put mine mine on the other day and not sure it's right or not since there's no instructions. I wrote to Ben and he says he will update his site with pictures of the newer brackets.

Let me link you to the install so you don't have any problems with it

http://worldofkolmar.tripod.com/torquedocs/
Old 06-18-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cynic/Torque Forward
Let me link you to the install so you don't have any problems with it

http://worldofkolmar.tripod.com/torquedocs/
Thanks for the link...

I know the Ingalls brace doesn't need a jack to support the engine, but do you definitely need one for this brace, or is it just for precaution? As long as one bolt is on the mount, it should hold, right? Or is that just for the center bolt?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 PM

No jack needed on this. I got a little confused in his pictures because the 1st picture is shot from the passenger side where as the 2nd picture is shot from the opposite side. When I tried mounting like the picture it wouldn't line up straight. Here's pic of mine.

Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM

wheel hop

so how is it performing?

is the wheel hop gone?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Potential problem here...please someone help me if you have this installed. I have both brackets on the car now, but the one on the motor side (2 bolts) does not bend at a 90-degree angle like the other one. As it stands, there is not enough room between the brackets to mount the brace perfectly straight. I need to know if this is ok! The one pictured above appears to be mounted at a slight angle, and the joints inside each end of the brace appear to compensate for this, but I want to get the ok from someone else who has done this first. Thanks in advance!

Here's a couple pics that may help to understand what I mean. You can see how it's not straight up, and that the brace would be crooked if I attached it now.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Here's another pic with the brace attached to the crooked bracket. Look where it rests on the other one! I couldn't attach it even if I wanted to.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:15 PM

there were thirteen of us who bought them i havent installed mine yet cause i have to take my car to the dealership on tuesday but i will install it tuesday night.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:19 PM

Nothing a good 'ol hammer won't fix
Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

You've got it on there right. Shouldn't be any problem. I notice in the one pic that one looks bent towards the mount a little bit (could just be camera tricks too.) If a problem with it arises let me know and I'll get it taken care of.

Ben
Old 06-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Potential problem here...please someone help me if you have this installed. I have both brackets on the car now, but the one on the motor side (2 bolts) does not bend at a 90-degree angle like the other one. As it stands, there is not enough room between the brackets to mount the brace perfectly straight. I need to know if this is ok! The one pictured above appears to be mounted at a slight angle, and the joints inside each end of the brace appear to compensate for this, but I want to get the ok from someone else who has done this first. Thanks in advance!

Here's a couple pics that may help to understand what I mean. You can see how it's not straight up, and that the brace would be crooked if I attached it now.

It looks like the hime ends will hit or rub on the mounts if you bolt that up ????

Iam just going by the pics but it should mount straight from one mount to the next or I'd think sooner or later it would bend the mounts twards each other Hmmm?

Looking at the pictures can you go on the other side of the right hand mount & see if it would be straighter?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cynic/Torque Forward
You've got it on there right. Shouldn't be any problem. I notice in the one pic that one looks bent towards the mount a little bit (could just be camera tricks too.) If a problem with it arises let me know and I'll get it taken care of.

Ben
The mount on the engine side is the one that's bent toward the motor mount. I didn't think it was supposed to be...
Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 AM

Well I got it on by attaching it at the lower bracket first, then the upper (the one I think is bent). No pics yet, as it was dark and my phone battery died anyway, but I'll take one tomorrow and post it. The brace is on, but the part coming out of the bottom of the shock looks like it's coming out crooked to compensate for the bracket alignment. Anyway, I'm not doing any hard launches or anything until I get the final word from TF that it's in right and nothing wrong with the hardware.

I can definitely attest to the benefit of having it for even regular driving, though. I'm pretty sure it's on the tightest setting (I didn't have a mm ruler to verify, but it's pretty tight), and the increase in NVH from idle is hardly noticable. (there is a bit more, but it's so little, I don't see how it could bother anyone) Leaving from red lights is so much easier to do it at any pace, and shifting in general is so much smoother. This thing makes me seem like a much better driver than I really am.

Not sure if anyone as noticed, but if you're accelerating from a red light, for instance, and you let your clutch out a little too quick, the car likes to lurch back and forth as if it's having trouble engaging. If you give it gas, it gets even worse. You usually have to let off the gas, or even put the clutch back in to stabilize it. Well that doesn't happen any more. I can ease off the clutch just as slowly as before if I want to granny drive it, or I can do a medium take-off without worrying about looking like a noob driver.

Definitely a in basic function, but until I get the clear, I can't tell how it will perform at the track yet.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 AM

Not sure if anyone as noticed, but if you're accelerating from a red light, for instance, and you let your clutch out a little too quick, the car likes to lurch back and forth as if it's having trouble engaging. If you give it gas, it gets even worse.

Been there a few times.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:09 PM

Ok, here are the installed pics.

Now it appears that the brace itself is bending to compensate for the brackets not being aligned. I'm hopeing someone can give me some input here as to whether or not this is ok. I've driven it to to work today, and will obviously drive it home, but that's it so far. I'm afraid to do a hard launch with that looking the way it does. If I'm told it's normal, then I'll really put it to the test. So far no odd noises or vibrations like some others have experienced. Thanks all for your input!

(pardon the phone pix, but they should still be clear enough to understand what I'm referring to.)