2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Trifecta Tuning on LSJs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trifecta Tuning on LSJs?

With all of the wannabe tuners who know nothing and crappy canned tunes out there in the LSJ world, I have been reluctant to tune my car. Based upon what I have read from others out there, it seems that the Trifecta tunes for the LSJs are the more reliable of the bunch. I am at the point where I want to get a tune, so I have been considering going with the Trifecta tune (probably the GMS3).

With the Trifecta GMS3 tunes, or any Trifecta LSJ tunes, in general. Have you all had any prblems relted to tune tune or have to work back and forth with Vince to get things running properly? Are there any known problems out there where a Trifecta tune has killed any LSJs? I don't know of ant off hand, since I don't keep up mcuh, but just wondering for curiosity sake
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know too there is a trifecta dealer her in anahiem I'd consider going to
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM

if your going trifecta u dont necessarily need a local tuner. you can either rent the black box from vince for a small fee and then all u need is a laptop and common sense lol
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 AM

Ya common sense.... Can u pay extra fOr that
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Thedomsaww
Ya common sense.... Can u pay extra fOr that
If your new to tuning I'd recommend reading in the tuning section to get more familiar.

Trifecta is a custom tune created by Vince and is then emailed to you (or your tuner) and then uploaded by you (or by your tuner). Neither you nor your "tuner" program anything. Simply plug the black box into your OBD port, the other in your laptop and hit "full flash" and wait for it to upload. Not very difficult at all.

If your thinking about HP Tuners, then that is much more difficult and you will need to find a local tuner for that.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 05RLS2
With all of the wannabe tuners who know nothing and crappy canned tunes out there in the LSJ world, I have been reluctant to tune my car. Based upon what I have read from others out there, it seems that the Trifecta tunes for the LSJs are the more reliable of the bunch. I am at the point where I want to get a tune, so I have been considering going with the Trifecta tune (probably the GMS3).

With the Trifecta GMS3 tunes, or any Trifecta LSJ tunes, in general. Have you all had any prblems relted to tune tune or have to work back and forth with Vince to get things running properly? Are there any known problems out there where a Trifecta tune has killed any LSJs? I don't know of ant off hand, since I don't keep up mcuh, but just wondering for curiosity sake
So you are looking for a GMS3 tune? that wouldnt be a trifecta tune. Unfortunately the case here is that there are cars everywhere that are stock, GMS1, GMS2, GMS3, Trifecta, and HP Tuned that have ended up in pieces. Its not just the tuning, its how well the car is maintained, treated, driven, and if all the parts function.

A PROPERLY TUNED VEHICLE will be just as reliable as factory. The problem with alot of "street" tuners is that they push timing until it gets KR and then relax it which is an extremely poor way to do it. The proper way is to strap the car down to a dyno and monitor the vehicle. HP will start dropping off far before knock starts occuring. The idea is to make the most HP possible with the least amount of timing.

DISCLAIMER!!!- I did not say ALL tuners, I have been street tuned and I work closely with other ppl from this site and others that tune the way I do. People like Bryan (Area47), the guys at ZZP, Chris K, etc. are very good tuners and can be trusted to make your car fast and reliable. Seek these ppl out and you will find what you are looking for. Dont just hand over your expensive car to someone you barely know, learn what they do, talk to ppl about their experiences and see whats right for you. There are a lot of ppl that think they know and have no idea.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well trifecta does have a gm stage 3 tune. it is there custom tune with the gms3 features on along with it. this is what i have.

to the op. i have a trifecta tune on my lsj. i like it. it might take a couple times going back and forth to get it dialed in. i would highly recommend that you have a wideband installed to monitor AFr's. vince cant see these in his logs since we dont have a wideband stock like the lnf's do. so at first it will be on the rich side to keep it safe. then if you tell them you want it a little leaner they will do it for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltItaliano
if your going trifecta u dont necessarily need a local tuner. you can either rent the black box from vince for a small fee and then all u need is a laptop and common sense lol
There is no fee for the box, it is fully refunded and yes OP they are solid tunes

Not as much back and forth depending on what custom or upgrades you have done
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by BlkWdoSS
So you are looking for a GMS3 tune? that wouldnt be a trifecta tune. Unfortunately the case here is that there are cars everywhere that are stock, GMS1, GMS2, GMS3, Trifecta, and HP Tuned that have ended up in pieces. Its not just the tuning, its how well the car is maintained, treated, driven, and if all the parts function.

A PROPERLY TUNED VEHICLE will be just as reliable as factory. The problem with alot of "street" tuners is that they push timing until it gets KR and then relax it which is an extremely poor way to do it. The proper way is to strap the car down to a dyno and monitor the vehicle. HP will start dropping off far before knock starts occuring. The idea is to make the most HP possible with the least amount of timing.

DISCLAIMER!!!- I did not say ALL tuners, I have been street tuned and I work closely with other ppl from this site and others that tune the way I do. People like Bryan (Area47), the guys at ZZP, Chris K, etc. are very good tuners and can be trusted to make your car fast and reliable. Seek these ppl out and you will find what you are looking for. Dont just hand over your expensive car to someone you barely know, learn what they do, talk to ppl about their experiences and see whats right for you. There are a lot of ppl that think they know and have no idea.
I agree with you, hpt is great and dangerous i.e. blown motors and such, but with the right tunner a great choice and longer process imo. Never has a motor blown with trifecta, those with tri-tunes have had motor failures due to other issues not tune related. 3k plus cobalts tunned and not one issue due to the tune itself.

*Not banging nor bashing anyone or tunning choice, just stating what I know.*
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by strazdice
I agree with you, hpt is great and dangerous i.e. blown motors and such, but with the right tunner a great choice and longer process imo. Never has a motor blown with trifecta, those with tri-tunes have had motor failures due to other issues not tune related. 3k plus cobalts tunned and not one issue due to the tune itself.

*Not banging nor bashing anyone or tunning choice, just stating what I know.*
lol

this is me, waving the bullshit flag.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Area47
lol

this is me, waving the bullshit flag.
This^
Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM

go figure! two ppl i talked with who said the tune blew there motors had other engine failures due to thier own mistakes, logs dont lie!!! its the ppl who cry wolf and dont install other parts properly and wont take the blame and pawn it off on the tune!

keep waving your bs flag when you no nothing about trifecta nor talk to vince on a regular basis
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm here for the gangbang
Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Rent me! per hour

go figure! two ppl i talked with who said the tune blew there motors had other engine failures due to thier own mistakes, logs dont lie!!! its the ppl who cry wolf and dont install other parts properly and wont take the blame and pawn it off on the tune!

keep waving your bs flag when you no nothing about trifecta nor talk to vince on a regular basis
ok newbie. keeping playing this game and we will dig up numerous threads about trifecta tunes that HAVE blown up STOCK cars. it's easy to pass the buck onto the owner of the car. {as of recently it's more common place than most think}

i don't think you actually realize how long i have been in this game. my suggestion to you mr "logger for trifecta" is to go sit in the corner and keep your propaganda to yourself.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a trifecta dealer myself. It goes like this for LSJ cars

Good HP Tuner > Trifecta > GMS2 > Bad HP Tuner.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internet hero. You don't know who you are talking to.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 PM

Lol area 47 while i never met or talked to the guy id say this guy knows his stuff. He is kinda like mr. Belvedere without the smart @$$ remarks lol.there are few guys on this Site id listen to but area would be one of them.BTW no offense to you Mr.b lol. I have trolled this Site since 09 and learned alot from ya.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Area47
ok newbie. keeping playing this game and we will dig up numerous threads about trifecta tunes that HAVE blown up STOCK cars. it's easy to pass the buck onto the owner of the car. {as of recently it's more common place than most think}

i don't think you actually realize how long i have been in this game. my suggestion to you mr "logger for trifecta" is to go sit in the corner and keep your propaganda to yourself.
You can feel free to Dig them up, Vince has his records, people i contacted that said the tune blew thier motors finally broke down and said a part failed after i asked for more info on it out of them. As far as you "hobbiest tunner" you dont run a world wide company that has made over 15,000 tunes for more than just cobalts. Also why would a person waste alot of time and money on a company that blows up motors? I am a dealer which means "to give people deals on the tunes" if you wernt aware of that. I never say I tune vehicles nor said i do. Its not propaganda and i dont bash hpt by any means, i tell ppl equally about both programs and let them make the choice, and after that they choose trifecta than so be it or hpt, wont ruin my day if they dont choose trifecta. As far as how long you have been in the "game" means nothing in the world of technology.

Last edited by strazdice; 11-10-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 AM

Area47 i know your well known on here and the community, why take my word on something, right? All i know is what info is givin to me from vince and he has all the records. And that is what I will go off of.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Projekt
Internet hero. You don't know who you are talking to.
no "internet hero" here just know my facts

Originally Posted by 2006g85sslobalt
Lol area 47 while i never met or talked to the guy id say this guy knows his stuff. He is kinda like mr. Belvedere without the smart @$$ remarks lol.there are few guys on this Site id listen to but area would be one of them.BTW no offense to you Mr.b lol. I have trolled this Site since 09 and learned alot from ya.
I'm on the same boat as you with trusting only certian peoples word on here and knowledge as well, since i joined its gone way down hill. I'm NOT saying he doesnt, nor did I say he did, I'm just defending a statement he made back.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 AM

I think area47 is a great source on here and a trusted person with his knowledge. I think my knowledge of cars is very good as well, maybe not tunning wise(working on that) but damn, for him to jump down my back about what im told from the source is hard for me to take is all and i will defend it until fully proven otherwise by facts, not through a thread on here i'm talking logs and/or vin to look up the vehicle in question
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Banned

no "internet hero" here just know my facts

I'm on the same boat as you with trusting only certian peoples word on here and knowledge as well, since i joined its gone way down hill. I'm NOT saying he doesnt, nor did I say he did, I'm just defending a statement he made back.
Just because Vince told u he has never blown an engine dont make it a fact, thats just his side of the story.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Rent me! per hour

you can believe what you want. thats your choice. the rest of us that have been around for quite sometime know a different story. the number of cars tuned has zero to do with experience. it's easy to copy and paste and send out blanket base files. which, there are "tuners" on this forum that do this.

however, just to flat out lie about something is really bad for business. blaming it on "failed parts" or "incorrectly installed parts" is passing the blame onto the end user. yes, things happen, i get that.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM

parts fail faster due to more strain put on the motor because of upgrades and tunes.. so it's really doesn't matter. I'd perfer GMs3 BECAUSE of HoM and my own rev limiter as well as the dry shot built in the system. It's personal preference. i had a gms3 on my car and my bearings went bad. why they go bad. idk maybe the car was ran to hard or the oil wasn't brand spanking new when i was on it hard. theres so many different variables to tell why my car went bad. **** happens.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Joemaster70
parts fail faster due to more strain put on the motor because of upgrades and tunes.. so it's really doesn't matter. I'd perfer GMs3 BECAUSE of HoM and my own rev limiter as well as the dry shot built in the system. It's personal preference. i had a gms3 on my car and my bearings went bad. why they go bad. idk maybe the car was ran to hard or the oil wasn't brand spanking new when i was on it hard. theres so many different variables to tell why my car went bad. **** happens.
these 2 statements cover it lol.

If I take my car to a local shop to be tuned and there is something wrong with the car, they will alert me to all of this before tuning. Vince CANNOT do that, and unfortunately many of the Trifecta dealers arent mechanics and wont look over the car before starting on tuning. Tuning will amplify small problems into larger ones.

Quick Reply: Trifecta Tuning on LSJs?